Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Ignorant Hick posted:

You still need to manually revoke the privilege once the 10 years expires.

No. You get an event about the monopoly ending in 10 years. You can ask for a renewal of the deal right there or you can let it end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

Hey does the Burgundian inheritance fire every time now or is it still a chance that it never fires?

i saw the ai keep burgundy alive by letting a queen rule it, who later asked to be in my hre. seems stable now

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

burgundy has a modifier that pretty much prevents an heir except the lady heir which they get by event. then when she takes the throne there's another event for the fate of burgundy, usually someone gets a pu on it. then i think there's a third event for the suzerain to integrate pu burgundy

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ilitarist posted:

No. You get an event about the monopoly ending in 10 years. You can ask for a renewal of the deal right there or you can let it end.

the privilege still stays in place even if you choose the option in the event to let it end. That choice just makes it possible to revoke it instead of locking it in place.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Does Expand Empire actually work? Just did it on france, got ~30 IA but all their provinces are outside of the empire

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

KoldPT posted:

Does Expand Empire actually work?

No.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

AnoHito posted:

the privilege still stays in place even if you choose the option in the event to let it end. That choice just makes it possible to revoke it instead of locking it in place.

Ah, I do understand it less then I thought.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Finished my first run, as Munchen - Bavaria - HRE. Went for the Stern des Sudens achievement, which isn't too hard - what I did was wait until Imperialism CB, since Expansion no longer seems to allow you to forge claims for overseas, and conquered a few provinces to give Bremen enough range to go Bremen - Suez - Horn of Africa. Afterwards I played it out to the end in speed 5, after unifying the HRE.

Timurids got the revolution and did absolutely nothing with it - they kept being friendly with the Ottomans and expanded the revolution peacefully to Tibet, basically.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

First time playing Brandenburg: how do I get the League War to fire? I'm currently Emperor, but I don't want to go too hard in the paint for converting my provinces back to catholic because my goal is to form Prussia once I enact the Peace of Westphalia (alternatively do it if someone else becomes Emperor, but my succession is pretty secure atm).

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
What is going on with nations joining the empire? After the Shadow Kingdom fired quite a few italian nations left the empire, but in the 20 years after most have joined it again. Even the pope. And Ragusa has joined it. Seems a bit out of control.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I don’t have any problems with the ability for the HRE to get bigger but in a game set during an era where it only ever shrank I feel like you’d want to put some more effort into exploring that possibility.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

SirPhoebos posted:

First time playing Brandenburg: how do I get the League War to fire? I'm currently Emperor, but I don't want to go too hard in the paint for converting my provinces back to catholic because my goal is to form Prussia once I enact the Peace of Westphalia (alternatively do it if someone else becomes Emperor, but my succession is pretty secure atm).

You as the Emperor can't start the war, you need the Leagues to form, then for the Protestant side to feel sufficiently strong to declare the war. So maybe no-CB Ming or something so you look really weak?

That said if you're going to convert later anyway it might be worth throwing the war and letting Protestants take over.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The first dev diary for what would become this expansion was like February of 2019. How is it so broken after so much time?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

here's my in progress definitive list of eu5 demands:

cinematic camera
wikipedia link for events like ck2 people
not having to restart the game when i press a Back button

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Ottomans are sucking pretty hard this patch it seems. Presumably because of mega austria.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ottomans are sucking pretty hard this patch it seems. Presumably because of mega austria.

Not having infinite mercs to spam probably has some effect as well

Weebus
Feb 26, 2017
In my current game the reformation triggered in Iberia and now a bunch of colonial regions are claimed by protestant portugal and castile and the pope gets mad at me if I colonize them. Is there any way to remove the claims?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

oddium posted:

You fool. You complete idiot. This is literally impossible, nobody has ever managed it.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah I'm seeing the same thing. The Ottos fought a bunch of hell wars against Genoa+The Empire, which they did win, but then they completely failed to expand into Asia or the Balkans at all, despite being stronger than all of their neighbours as far as I could tell. Them being strong and passive is just so baffling.

e: actually is there a console debug method to expose just what the AI is thinking at any given time? Some of their decisions during this first game have been really baffling.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 11, 2020

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The first dev diary for what would become this expansion was like February of 2019. How is it so broken after so much time?

Patches this size are always going to have problems like this. IMO just enjoy the crazy stuff while it lasts

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ultimately the probable answer to this is that they were fully aware, but wacky ahistorical poo poo happening just isn't sufficiently concerning to delay releasing.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

yikes! posted:

Patches this size are always going to have problems like this. IMO just enjoy the crazy stuff while it lasts

The IA stuff is pretty :psyduck:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
while the crazy IA is weird, the only actual thing outlandishly wrong with the patch is the AI's receptiveness to rejoining the empire

which, to be fair

there isn't a reason to not join the empire if you're smaller then a duchy

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is there any way to tell if the AI is annexing a vassal?

Weyd
Nov 26, 2009

Hmm, that face sure looks familiar. :raise:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Also for reining in Italy do you need to against each single country in an individual peace treaty or does just winning against the overall war leader work?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

If you open up the diplomacy screen for the overlord country I believe it shows the integration progress bar under the juniors' shield in the vassal or PU slot.

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006

cheesetriangles posted:

Right click on the overlord and there will be a red/blue vertical bar next to the vassal's flag indicating annexation progress. I believe it also shows up when clicking on any of the vassal's provinces.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ilitarist posted:

- Monopolies give you mercantilism and lump sum. In 10 years you can renew the deal and get the money again. You probably lose money in the process but 100 gold now is much better than 150 gold in 10 years. Plus it makes the estate happy.

The lump sum is roughly equal to 10 years of trade value for the goods you're monopolizing. You miss out on the production efficiency multiplier, but that's the only downside, so it's very good in the early game but gets worse as you get more PE.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

oddium posted:

You're asking for too much

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Looks like reigning in Italy isn't too hard. As Austria rocking Bohemia, Hungary, Milan as PU's right now and have taken a big chunk out of Venice. Only country I have left to rein in is Siena and I'm in a war against them now with about 15 years to spare before the cutoff date. Apparently you can just keep your relations with every country above 150% but it's a lot easier to just war them. Any peace deal you win counts for it. So to avoid AE problems I would pretty typically just take war reps and money.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

the real secret is that you don't want to reign in italy; you let them go for 20 imperial authority and then improve to 150 relations and get them to rejoin for 10 IA each

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
All this talk about the Ottomans being weakened inspired me to start a Trebizond campaign.

It was over by 1453.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

wologar posted:

All this talk about the Ottomans being weakened inspired me to start a Trebizond campaign.

It was over by 1453.
brb starting an Ironman Candar game...

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I find it baffling that they released it in this broken state considering the time they spent on it. Why do I keep spending my money on this stuff? I really need to learn.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
When things like this happen in software it's generally because something changed late in the piece which had unintended consequences and because it was a late change it didn't get spotted. But assuming that things were broken in this specific way for the full dev cycle and they just never got around to fixing it is probably not right.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
So the basic Austria strat now would be:

1-Befriend electors
2-Beat up Bohemia for a PU.
3-Eat Venice to enable Hungary PU, maybe free some opms
4-Pound Burgundy, free more subjects
5- Pick between France, Ottos and Poles and go to town?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Sephyr posted:

1-Befriend electors
3-Eat Venice to enable Hungary PU, maybe free some opms
5- Pick between France, Ottos and Poles and go to town?

PU on Bohemia makes you big enough to PU Hungary.

Also if Milan flips to ambrosia Republic, you get an event to claim their throne as well.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I lost the Imperial Throne, and decided to go ahead and form Prussia.

Now how do I form the Evangelical League?

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Sephyr posted:

No no. Make friends with Burgundy. Get them as big as you possibly can. Burgundian Inheritance is pretty much sure to fire and it cares not for the size of Burgundy. I managed to inherit half of France with it and i'm very much not good.

1-Befriend electors and Poland
3-Your now big enough to PU Hungary.
4-Get lucky and PU Milan
5-NoCB Byzantine to make them a vassal for Otto headshotting later
6-Beat around Venice to release single minors for the sweet sweet IA increase.
7-Feed Burgandy as much as possible so that when the inheritance fires they're as big as you can get them.

Five and Seven let you headshot Otto's and France respectively.

Blinks77 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

I lost the Imperial Throne, and decided to go ahead and form Prussia.

Now how do I form the Evangelical League?

Wait till 1550, be the strongest Protestant elector