Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Cynic Jester posted:

It is almost entirely pointless, yes, and a lot of impale items and nodes have it in conjunction with a useful stat. Tree+Gem+Dread Banner nets you 100% impale chance even when you skip the node that only adds impale chance. I guess you could skip Dread Banner to get more unreserved mana, but Dread Banner also gives Impale effect and reduces accuracy for enemies, so I can't think of a situation where I'd actually want to do that.

They need to change it so that >100% chance of impale gives you a chance for more than 1 stack to apply. It's a pretty boring design space right now since it's so easy to max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Cynic Jester posted:

It is almost entirely pointless, yes, and a lot of impale items and nodes have it in conjunction with a useful stat. Tree+Gem+Dread Banner nets you 100% impale chance even when you skip the node that only adds impale chance. I guess you could skip Dread Banner to get more unreserved mana, but Dread Banner also gives Impale effect and reduces accuracy for enemies, so I can't think of a situation where I'd actually want to do that.

Maybe if you lack accuracy so *need* the other banner? edit: Or along similar lines to let you squeeze in a precision aura?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Good riddance

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Masonity posted:

Maybe if you lack accuracy so *need* the other banner? edit: Or along similar lines to let you squeeze in a precision aura?

Even then I think I'd rather get accuracy on items and/or the tree instead of switching. Impale effect is generally more expensive to get than accuracy in terms of opportunity cost, especially with precision being a flat cost aura.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
PH?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

purposeful harbinger

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

I'm shocked. Shocked. :geno:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
At what shock effectiveness?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

whypick1 posted:

Oh good, Jousis needed yet another way to do a Heartbound Loop-CwDT spellcast loop.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Chances are they will do it by making cluster keystones no longer stackable. If that's across the board it's a massive nerf to my plan a of doing a 20 rage per shout / 1 second cooldown shoutyserker as he stacks four of the 5 rages per second keystones.

Hopefully it'll be a more targeted nerf than that.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

They already said that cluster nodes will continue to be stackable. More likely they'll just nerf the extremely strong ones (which includes Mob Mentality and Cry Wolf)

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm shocked as though I was dealt 300% more damage.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

von Braun posted:

what's a good spellslinger VD guide for league starting? I watched Ziz' video on it but he's so fast in explaining I can't follow.

Ziz is usually a good starting point. I would recommend downloading the path of building fork and importing the pastebin in the video description. That will show you the tree, links, and gear. Otherwise if you have more specific questions just ask here.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

von Braun posted:

what's a good spellslinger VD guide for league starting? I watched Ziz' video on it but he's so fast in explaining I can't follow.

Also Ziz's PoB guides usually contain detailed leveling notes (as in, in the Notes tab in PoB) -- what quest rewards to take, what/when to buy gems, which leveling links to run with. Also different versions of gear (early maps, endgame, etc.)

I don't know what other sorts of details you're looking for but just ask in this thread (or Discord, if that's still active) I guess.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

von Braun posted:

I'm planning on starting spellslinger VD this league, what I'm doing to get a idea of how to build is using poe.ninja to search for builds with VD linked to spellslinger and seeing what other people are using (link https://poe.ninja/challenge/builds?skill=Volatile-Dead&volatile-dead-support=Spellslinger-Support )
I can work backwards from the end goal to figure out how to path the early passives or what items to prioritize first.

It's very handy for figuring out what other people have found to work well and how they are using their gem links and what types of passives on cluster jewels they are rolling for.

As a example, main thing I see in common between the VD builds people are using is they stack % chance to avoid elemental ailments on flexible sentry clusters or rare item crafts and arcane swiftness passive, giving them 100% immunity and freeing up flask affixes to not get frozen or the occasional death to a mega shock or ignite and that is something I think I want to try for once.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm planning on starting spellslinger VD this league, what I'm doing to get a idea of how to build is using poe.ninja to search for builds with VD linked to spellslinger and seeing what other people are using (link https://poe.ninja/challenge/builds?skill=Volatile-Dead&volatile-dead-support=Spellslinger-Support )
I can work backwards from the end goal to figure out how to path the early passives or what items to prioritize first.

It's very handy for figuring out what other people have found to work well and how they are using their gem links and what types of passives on cluster jewels they are rolling for.

As a example, main thing I see in common between the VD builds people are using is they stack % chance to avoid elemental ailments on flexible sentry clusters or rare item crafts and arcane swiftness passive, giving them 100% immunity and freeing up flask affixes to not get frozen or the occasional death to a mega shock or ignite and that is something I think I want to try for once.

unless you are removing the really expensive items like clairty/es watcher eyes, voices, or bottled faiths, looking at poe.ninja is probably the worst.

some items change your passives/acendenscies differently. like as aechmage storm brand heiro, i had to keep using the acendenscy that actually cut my archmage damage in half until i got the clairty/energy shield watchers eye

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It just requires a little understanding and double checking to know how all the interlocking mechanics are interacting, so long as the build doesn't absolutely require a incredibly expensive piece to even function due to reducing mana reserved or doubling your effective health or needing some other 50 ex item on the first day of the league you should be fine, you'll just have a goal to work towards.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

SSF is worth looking at too, since they don't have turbo gear

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I don't know if that's unique to VD builds. Some HC players seem to like it (disclaimer: not a HC player myself); for instance Steelmage had that setup for his herald stacker even though that by no means is required.

But yeah, going into a new build, my go-to is looking at SSF because if anything, that teaches you which stats to prioritize to get your build off the ground.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Qwertycoatl posted:

SSF is worth looking at too, since they don't have turbo gear

yeah, this is what i do.

if some crazy good ssf person can pull off a build, i'm generally confident i can pull it off in a trade league in a couple weeks, whereas most highly ranked standard poe.ninja builds usually get into 10s of ex of budget and i play the game to casually to farm that much.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000
I just realized I have 2000 hours in the game and have never played a Ranger or Scion. Though this doesn't really seem like the league for it, are there any particularly compelling builds that utilize these classes?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

People love ranger scourge arrow and ice shot

Pf for SA and DE for ice shot

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ranger is pretty versatile. You can make bow Ele Hits, Ice Shot, Scourge arrows, you can make poison builds that use cobralash/venomgyre/pestilent strike/venom strike, and you'll occasionally see a mathil build using raider for something but that particular ascendancy is in a bad place when compared to glads and zerkers

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
both deadeye and scion can be good at mines, and mines are a great starter

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The problem with Raider is that it's generally good, but not great. It's got good defenses! it's got good offence! It's got good speed!

So people pass it over for builds that are more specialized.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

frajaq posted:

really dont like that broken number on the % to impale, usually Physical Impale builds already get all their chance to impale they need from the tree and the support gem right? This looks kinda out of place

Cynic Jester posted:

I think people are looking at the unique wrong. It's not something you'd use at max level, even though the Impale explosions seem interesting. It's a leveling item. It lets you invest in Impale earlier and get some strong benefits from it, so if you're leveling as a pure physical character you can get a pretty smooth leveling experience.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

it also helps any build crazy enough to use the impale cluster jewels instead of going to the bottom of the tree

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

RPZip posted:

I think people are looking at the unique wrong. It's not something you'd use at max level, even though the Impale explosions seem interesting. It's a leveling item. It lets you invest in Impale earlier and get some strong benefits from it, so if you're leveling as a pure physical character you can get a pretty smooth leveling experience.

Yeah, it's like the Haemophilia gloves that give you the bleedsplosion if you aren't Gladiator. Not optimal, but really good stepping stone.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

I just realized I have 2000 hours in the game and have never played a Ranger or Scion. Though this doesn't really seem like the league for it, are there any particularly compelling builds that utilize these classes?

One of my characters this league was(is) Deadeye Sire of Shards Cyclone-CwC-Magma Orb, and it's an absolute blast. Loosely based on this build (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ippJouFCoN4) but updated for 3.10 with a good cluster jewel setup. Best clear I've ever had, although unfortunately slow on single-target damage.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Harvest rewards: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2872119

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCGY8NmLH58

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Nice cloak and portal.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
God drat it, portal at 36 when I was looking at taking this league off. Why do I love portals so much

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You could center a cool hideout around that portal

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Definitely going to try for 36.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Hopefully it doesn't massacre my frame rate like the metamorph portal whenever I open a new map

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

aejix posted:

God drat it, portal at 36 when I was looking at taking this league off. Why do I love portals so much

Saaaame.

This was my first league hitting 36, much less 40. And looking to grind out to 100 this weekend. I was really counting on a break.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

euphronius posted:

You could center a cool hideout around that portal

that portal has strong Cassia energy.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I want that portal a lot.

How do I focus my league on challenges?

Adbot