Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What did it matter?
This poll is closed.
The mod squad (FORUM FRIENDS) has edited the poll 11 1.38%
And inserted their good jokes 4 0.50%
While the rest of you laugh 9 1.13%
Bowsette 103 12.88%
347 43.38%
killer comedy option $69,420.69 15 1.88%
big bandicoot baps 311 38.88%
Total: 800 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

A Sometimes Food posted:

Bloodborne was several years ago now.

lol but there was something I remember that looked like Geiger designs with the numbers filed off that had a lot of blood and something gnarly gestating in a mechanical womb or something. unless I've gone insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

there's scorn? but more info on that just came out a couple of weeks ago, not last year (albeit it's been in development since like, 2015?)

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
You're basically everyone's mom in Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII-3.

But yeah, there definitely needs to be more games with women as lead designers/directors.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

lol but there was something I remember that looked like Geiger designs with the numbers filed off that had a lot of blood and something gnarly gestating in a mechanical womb or something. unless I've gone insane

Oh that was Scorn probably, that's not out yet. Or the lovely hell game with the vagina demon that came out a couple of years back?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Cowcaster posted:

you're thinking of foreskin stuff

no that's silent hill 4

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

there's scorn? but more info on that just came out a couple of weeks ago, not last year (albeit it's been in development since like, 2015?)

was that only in the last few weeks?.....

time is fake in 2020

if that's it, then that trailer definitely made it look like exactly what that poster described

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

A Sometimes Food posted:

Oh that was Scorn probably, that's not out yet. Or the lovely hell game with the vagina demon that came out a couple of years back?

scorn has been in development for a while, first shown off years ago, and the more recent one was uhhhhhhhh some other one word name like Hatred but not that cause that was a different one

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've seen the fair point that it doesn't make sense to announce a PC release at the event for PS5 games but hopefully it's like "Bloodborne remaster for PS5!!! .. also on PC"

Yeah, if it happens that's how I'd expect it to be. Bloodborne remaster for PS5 and then maybe a Steam or EGS logo as well or something like that.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I am so extremely stoked for the Gamecube Mr. Driller getting English Switch and PC ports this month. The game is a masterpiece.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

oh I'm certainly glad he changed it, I'm more responding to the idea there's no way the original concept could be construed as misogynist

I understand it could be seen as misogynist, I just don't think it actually was. I think he had a dumb idea, not an idea that inherently hates women.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Kerrzhe posted:

i would love to play bloodborne since i don't have and have never owned a playstation

i bought a ps4 to play bloodborne and it was worth it

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

A videogame where your male character gets attacked by a facehugger and every NPC you approach for help reproaches you for considering your own life over the alien embryo.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

precision posted:

I understand it could be seen as misogynist, I just don't think it actually was. I think he had a dumb idea, not an idea that inherently hates women.

i don't really think death of the author is terribly applicable in such circumstances

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh man if the bloodborne pc port is on egs i'll finally get to play celeste

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Looper posted:

i don't really think death of the author is terribly applicable in such circumstances

I don't necessarily disagree in this specific case, but it's happened before. I don't think Silent Hill 2 was intentionally misandrist, but you could very much argue the point that it is. Every man (or male seeming monster, or dick monster) is just an awful person (including, spoilers, the main character) and every woman is entirely blameless and victimized by either personal or systemic abuse.

Even the Nurse Monsters and the Mannequins exist as a product of men being awful.

So it could be argued as misandrist, I think, but to label it that would be to entirely misunderstand that the genders involved are mostly incidental, that the awfulness of the men is just the awfulness of control and suppression.

Control and suppression and violence can be condemned without condemning the entire gender of the people doing the control.

With Druckmann's dumb idea, being the sort of dumbass that he comes off as in these interviews, it seems more likely that the idea was just poorly thought out and basic.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

celeste is in the racial justice bundle now

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

Celeste is in that racial justice pack, buy it numbnuts

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

precision posted:

I don't necessarily disagree in this specific case, but it's happened before. I don't think Silent Hill 2 was intentionally misandrist, but you could very much argue the point that it is. Every man (or male seeming monster, or dick monster) is just an awful person (including, spoilers, the main character) and every woman is entirely blameless and victimized by either personal or systemic abuse.

Even the Nurse Monsters and the Mannequins exist as a product of men being awful.

So it could be argued as misandrist, I think, but to label it that would be to entirely misunderstand that the genders involved are mostly incidental, that the awfulness of the men is just the awfulness of control and suppression.

Control and suppression and violence can be condemned without condemning the entire gender of the people doing the control.

With Druckmann's dumb idea, being the sort of dumbass that he comes off as in these interviews, it seems more likely that the idea was just poorly thought out and basic.

Misandry, much like racism vs white people, isn’t real

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
https://twitter.com/KeitaTakahash/status/1271145074340982784?s=19

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

super glad to explore the crucial difference between "actually misogynist" and "merely dumb enough to appear so without realizing" as it applies to a man who needed to have a daughter before he fully understood that women are people too

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Hwurmp posted:

super glad to explore the crucial difference between "actually misogynist" and "merely dumb enough to appear so without realizing" as it applies to a man who needed to have a daughter before he fully understood that women are people too

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jay Rust posted:

Celeste is in that racial justice pack, buy it numbnuts

i already own celeste on egs

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

play Celeste imho

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Buy the loving bundle, you admitted that you’re mr moneybags now, come on

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Rookie mistake to get yourself put onto the rich goon spreadsheet imo

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Owning Celeste on itch is better than on egs.

Both are actually drm-free but on itch you have access to every public build dating back to 1.0, and also can choose between the xna and opengl versions.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jay Rust posted:

Buy the loving bundle, you admitted that you’re mr moneybags now, come on

i don't need 7000 gamemaker games as an incentive to do some donates

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

in fact, i would prefer NOT to have 7000 gamemaker games dumped on me as part of doing some donates

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Cowcaster posted:

Yea, but the 10 items that might interest you are probably worth throwing in an additional $5 more then you would have otherwise.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Ign just showed off the XIII remaster trailer, looked pretty good.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

:rolleyes:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

noted gamemaker trash game, Celeste

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm sure every single game in the bundle is just as good as celeste

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

bushisms.txt posted:

Ign just showed off the XIII remaster trailer, looked pretty good.

I dunno, usually these games end up having some hidden value when looked at years later, but I'm sorry, this is still just a bad Final Fantasy game, no matter how many good ideas it has.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

Misandry, much like racism vs white people, isn’t real

There are people who hate men and who hate white people, but you're correct that it's not now (and hasn't really ever been) an institutional problem, because the world has been run by white men for an extremely long time.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Waffleman_ posted:

I dunno, usually these games end up having some hidden value when looked at years later, but I'm sorry, this is still just a bad Final Fantasy game, no matter how many good ideas it has.

Not Final Fantasy XIII. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQwxuVFzgbI

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm aware, was joke.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Spellbreak announced for xbone and Switch, hype!

Legend Genndy Tartatovsky on the stream now

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hwurmp posted:

Sure glad I ruined my day off trying to virtually be friends and hang out with people who try to make me feel like poo poo even when I'm not disagreeing with the fuckin party line

Punch up, goddamn it, not sideways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The real joke was the goons we met along the way