Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

lmao your company fucks up the entire org's security posture to save $200

or was this just for his account and the rest are still disabled?

well you can apply policies to groups in Duo but only if you're on the Duo Access or Duo Beyond plan and this account is on the Duo MFA plan. so i had to edit the fuckin global policy.

at least this Duo account isn't for our entire org, rather it's specfically for securing access via SSL-VPN and RDG to a single customer's AWS environment. ofc that customer happens to be a very sensitive state government department... :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

marcan42 on twitter posted:

Running 8 threads (on an 8-thread E-2144G) of RDRAND in the background, memory throughput drops by *81%* with the patch vs unpatched (91% vs idle).

So if someone can spawn a bunch of RDRAND threads, they can drop your memory perf to 19% of what it would be, 9% of nominal.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 11, 2020

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
is there a word for: "I know computers are stupid and I'm not surprised, yet I'm still amazed at how bad things really are"?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Media Bloodbath posted:

is there a word for: "I know computers are stupid and I'm not surprised, yet I'm still amazed at how bad things really are"?

"YOSPOS"

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

adding this to my copy of Meaning Of Liff now

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

bithc

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

well you can apply policies to groups in Duo but only if you're on the Duo Access or Duo Beyond plan and this account is on the Duo MFA plan. so i had to edit the fuckin global policy.

at least this Duo account isn't for our entire org, rather it's specfically for securing access via SSL-VPN and RDG to a single customer's AWS environment. ofc that customer happens to be a very sensitive state government department... :lol:
Can't you just get this user another type of security token or does duo not support them anymore?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i had to enable voice callback MFA for a single co-worker in a Duo account because the guy has a fuckin iPhone 5 in TYOOL 2020 which he can't install the app on. i deliberately disabled voice callback and SMS OTP in the account because they're less secure than push MFA smdh
I still have a 4S, lmao

I was going to replace it almost three months ago, but

well

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ayin posted:

I still have a 4S, lmao

well

you realize you can get poo poo shipped to your door

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
you can also not risk people's lives over a minor thing that can wait a couple months more

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

The Fool posted:

he doesn't want poo poo though, he wants a well designed phone and since that isn't an option anymore....

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

he doesn't want poo poo though, he wants a well designed phone and since that isn't an option anymore....

that hasn't been an option since nokia stopped making those bricks

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
nokia is making the bricks again, but for some stupid reason people want internet on their phones now lmao

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Truga posted:

nokia is making the bricks again, but for some stupid reason people want internet on their phones now lmao

internet on your phone?? eyy im laffing my a$$ off here, just dial 3-1-1 nerds

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Grace Baiting posted:

I just text 466453

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

The Fool posted:

I wanted to have my address book and poo poo transferred straight over...

Also, I disabled icloud backup right after I got my phone and then forgot it existed until just now :downs:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ayin posted:

Also, I disabled icloud backup right after I got my phone and then forgot it existed until just now :downs:

you can do that without the internet. sync old phone to computer, sync new phone to computer.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ayin posted:

that process is nearly 100% automated at this point, you just follow the directions on the screen of your new phone.

ESPECIALLY if you're going iOS to iOS, it's almost seamless

it even mostly works android<->iOS

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
I did not know that! Thanks :shobon:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Grace Baiting posted:

that reminds me, remember how there used to be companies whose service was basically just "if you need help with random trivia, call this number and we'll look it up for you! only a dollar a minute!"

it's a very particular artifact of that window of time in the mid-2000's where everyone had cell phones but they weren't internet-connected yet and that kinda poo poo is always fascinating to me idk

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
remember the services where you could send WHATIS keyword or something as a SMS to a number and you would get a wikipedia snippet back and it cost a few dollars each time

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Fool posted:

I just text 466453

ymgve posted:

remember the services where you could send WHATIS keyword or something as a SMS to a number and you would get a wikipedia snippet back and it cost a few dollars each time

these just reminded me that GOOG-411 existed

i liked the creepy mumbling sound it would make when it was trying to parse your speech tbh

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Shame Boy posted:

that reminds me, remember how there used to be companies whose service was basically just "if you need help with random trivia, call this number and we'll look it up for you! only a dollar a minute!"

it's a very particular artifact of that window of time in the mid-2000's where everyone had cell phones but they weren't internet-connected yet and that kinda poo poo is always fascinating to me idk

"What do you call cheese that's not yours?"

"Nacho cheese :grin:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmULq4dgQvY

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Ayin posted:

I still have a 4S, lmao

well

keep it, and when your company tries to get you to install some lovely VPN or contract tracer app you can pull it out and say "it doesn't work on my phone"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

never ever put work stuff on your personal phone

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I had a phone that could do WAP and it was so amazing bringing up a tiny mangled version of the google homepage over the course of several minutes

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

haveblue posted:

I had a phone that could do WAP and it was so amazing bringing up a tiny mangled version of the google homepage over the course of several minutes

in 2005 I had a flip phone with HSDPA and a data contract and even that was basically useless except for tethering (pretty sure it was literal tethering back then! as in USB cable)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Volmarias posted:

"What do you call cheese that's not yours?"

"Nacho cheese :grin:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmULq4dgQvY

yep that exact commercial is what was going around in my head lmao

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Carthag Tuek posted:

never ever put work stuff on your personal phone

here's your tablet mister loaf

thanks, i will use this to work from home

and the docking station you can use to connect it to your own monitor and wired network

thanks, that will stay in the bag it came in forever

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Fool posted:

that process is nearly 100% automated at this point, you just follow the directions on the screen of your new phone.

ESPECIALLY if you're going iOS to iOS, it's almost seamless

it even mostly works android<->iOS

does it copy SMS history yet?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

~Coxy posted:

(pretty sure it was literal tethering back then! as in USB cable)

for the 2 or 3 times ive used my phone as a mobile hotspot thats what ive usually done too, plugging in iphone through usb just makes linux see a new ethernet device:

[ 8357.667535] ipheth 1-1:4.2: Apple iPhone USB Ethernet device attached
[ 8357.670117] usbcore: registered new interface driver ipheth
[ 8357.678083] ipheth 1-1:4.2 enx16205e4ace42: renamed from eth0

a lot easier than messing with bluetooth for situations like "my password for this university expired and needs to be changed, and i cant get on the wifi to do that because my password is expired", or "im at a funeral and theres no wifi and i need to apt-get install some additional software to convert this wmv file to dvd format right now"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lysidas posted:

im at a funeral and theres no wifi and i need to apt-get install some additional software

hold on everyone don't put grandma in the ground yet

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.

Lysidas posted:

"im at a funeral and theres no wifi and i need to apt-get install some additional software to convert this wmv file to dvd format right now"

hell yeh I want a linux casket, who needs sound when you are already dead!

at my funeral I want there to be a 60 minute video of computer jokes that is completely mandatory to be watched then quizzed on before anyone qualifies for getting something from the will.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ymgve posted:

i didn’t until right now lol

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
lol

my grandmother in law passed away a few years ago, my wife and i went to the wake/funeral/whatever early to help set up, one of her cousins made a video tribute to her, the funeral home provided tvs with dvd players for this, and the cousin had thought "burning the video to dvd" was "making a data dvd containig the wmv file", no surprise that none of the dvd players understood it

both my wifes and my laptop were in the car, used mine to transcode to dvd format, made a quick trip to a store for some blank dvds, and used her 2011 mpb (back when they came with optical drives!) to burn a few copies that played on the tvs, i was glad i could be useful

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lysidas posted:

lol

my grandmother in law passed away a few years ago, my wife and i went to the wake/funeral/whatever early to help set up, one of her cousins made a video tribute to her, the funeral home provided tvs with dvd players for this, and the cousin had thought "burning the video to dvd" was "making a data dvd containig the wmv file", no surprise that none of the dvd players understood it

both my wifes and my laptop were in the car, used mine to transcode to dvd format, made a quick trip to a store for some blank dvds, and used her 2011 mpb (back when they came with optical drives!) to burn a few copies that played on the tvs, i was glad i could be useful
It's okay, we get it. It's not like we thought you were hastily trying to apt-get install emotion like Zuckerberg or something.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

yeah i figured it was pretty much exactly that, i just couldn't pass up the opportunity to giggle at the image of some goon hastily linux'ing while everyone waits to lower the casket into the ground or w/e :shobon:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
furiously struggling to get alsa to work so he can play taps.mid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
don't wait too long or we'll have zombies!