Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, because of Lysithea's circumstances she's the only unit recruitable in part 2 who you don't need to have recruited in part 1 and only in Crimson Flowers. But if you recruit her before the skip she stays with you.

Ashe and Lorenz leave on Golden Deer and Blue Lions respectively during the time skip but can be re-recruited when you run into them as enemies. If you never recruited them they don't join though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think they also leave on the non Edelgard Black Eagles route as well.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hunt11 posted:

I think they also leave on the non Edelgard Black Eagles route as well.

They do. Lorenz and Ashe only stick with you immediately post-timeskip on Edelgard's route, Ashe stays on Dimitri's route, and Lorenz stays on Claude's route.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Lysithea is an honorary Black Eagle and you miss out if you don't recruit her early. :colbert:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Eimi posted:

Lysithea is an honorary Black Eagle and you miss out if you don't recruit her early. :colbert:

In my defense, the game does kind of a lovely job giving you the requirements on recruiting people. :colbert:

It only tells you its possible, and hey! You can borrow one kid a month, but they won't learn any experience! So why would I want to take the limited experience from my actual units? There are so many to choose from, and it's grossly inefficient to just play around with your limited action points each month. Oh, and there are a few that you can't actually recruit or leave anyway depending on your route. But we won't tell you which ones!

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 11, 2020

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

In my defense, the game does kind of a lovely job giving you the requirements on recruiting people. :colbert:

It only tells you its possible, and hey! You can borrow one kid a month, but they won't learn any experience! So why would I want to take the limited experience from my actual units? There are so many to choose from, and it's grossly inefficient to just play around with your limited action points each month. Oh, and there are a few that you can't actually recruit or leave anyway depending on your route. But we won't tell you which ones!
The ones you absolutely cannot recruit on your route of choice are clearly identified....in your support menu. If the character doesn't show up in the menu, they cannot be recruited outside of cheat codes/hacking. The "leave depending on route choice" is a little annoying, but is tempered by that only happening on Crimson Flower, which means you lose a total of 4 characters: Seteth, Flayn, Cyril, and Catherine.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AradoBalanga posted:

The ones you absolutely cannot recruit on your route of choice are clearly identified....in your support menu. If the character doesn't show up in the menu, they cannot be recruited outside of cheat codes/hacking. The "leave depending on route choice" is a little annoying, but is tempered by that only happening on Crimson Flower, which means you lose a total of 4 characters: Seteth, Flayn, Cyril, and Catherine.

The only one you lose is Flayn. The other three are just not options to recruit.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

AradoBalanga posted:

Even then, you can't actually recruit Seteth, Cyril or Catherine on the Black Eagle route until you make the choice to side with the Church. The only people you ever control then lose permanently is Flayn on Crimson Flowers and Edelgard/Hubert on Silver Snow. You also temporarily lose Dedue, Ashe and Lorenz depending on route for a few maps post time skip.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

AlternateNu posted:

If you try to recruit someone and fail, it will give you information about what you need to raise. Here's a picture I found showing what it looks like:

Really the most important thing is to get a high support rank with the person since it will drastically reduce the requirements. Just eat lunch with them every Sunday.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Also if you ply them with gifts and perfect teatimes enough to B rank them there's a chance they'll ask to join your house in the week, and if you somehow get them to A that way (NG+) it's basically guaranteed. Even if they don't ask, a B support lowers their recruitment requirements significantly.

(I have never and probably will never A rank Rhea, how the gently caress many owl feathers does that woman want)

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 11, 2020

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don't think you can A rank people before the time skip.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

eating only apples posted:

(I have never and probably will never A rank Rhea, how the gently caress many owl feathers does that woman want)
She also really likes the landscape painting and goddess statuettes, if that helps.

Hunt11 posted:

Rhea is an exception to that rule. Her S support, however, is locked to Silver Snow.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Hunt11 posted:

There's very few, obviously the students you can't since they're all locked for a while.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AlternateNu posted:

You aren't meant to deploy them. You're meant to put them as Byleth's adjutant so they can get support points for free. Gifts also don't take your activity points and greatly help.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You can A rank students in a New Game+, if you had the A support in a previous run and purchase it back. If you do, you can recruit them automatically, regardless of your stats, so long as they're recruitable.

This also works for teachers and knights, if you somehow are struggling to hit level 6 with Byleth.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 11, 2020

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Blaze Dragon posted:

You aren't meant to deploy them. You're meant to put them as Byleth's adjutant so they can get support points for free. Gifts also don't take your activity points and greatly help.

I didn't realize adjutants gained social points until chapter 9. :v: And I didn't know your bond reduced the skill requirements to recruit someone. Would've prevented me from wasting time upping "useless" skills to please the couple I had my eye on. Makes sense in retrospect. It is doubly funny because I caught on to mass growing flowers and handing them out to everyone in my core class pretty quickly but didn't connect the dots between social rank -> recruitment.

Eimi posted:

Regarding Lysithea, specifically, I knew something was up with her just from her character design. Silver hair is anime shorthand for unnatural/artificial/otherworldly. And she was giving me some serious vibes from the first time she popped up. So, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess she was a victim of the same experimentation Edelgard was.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AlternateNu posted:

Regarding Lysithea, specifically, I knew something was up with her just from her character design. Silver hair is anime shorthand for unnatural/artificial/otherworldly. And she was giving me some serious vibes from the first time she popped up. So, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess she was a victim of the same experimentation Edelgard was.

You are 100% correct.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

AlternateNu posted:

How do you feel about green hair in this game?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Blaze Dragon posted:

You are 100% correct.

I'm going to be referring to her as Tiny Murder Machine from now on.

How do you feel about green hair in this game?

Green hair in FE games = dragons. So, I guessed off the bat that the church leadership were all dragons given Rhea/Seteth/Flayne's designs. Then, they drop the not-so-subtle hints of Seteth and Flayne likely being thousands of years old. So, shocker that Rhea turns into a big scary gently caress dragon if you side with Edelgard in the tomb.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 12, 2020

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

heard someone talking poo poo about manuela

not an actual spoiler, only spoiled for the person playing the game if they want to avoid seeing endgame classes

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i care way more about spell lists than stat growths in this game when it comes to anyone casting spells tbh

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

AlternateNu posted:

Green hair in FE games = dragons. So, I guessed off the bat that the church leadership were all dragons given Rhea/Seteth/Flayne's designs. Then, they drop the not-so-subtle hints of Seteth and Flayne likely being thousands of years old. So, shocker that Rhea turns into a big scary gently caress dragon if you side with Edelgard in the tomb.

When you do Golden Deer, recruit Linhardt, Caspar and Mercedes. In that route with those three you'l get a paralogue you only can get on GD, one you can't get on Edelgard's route, and one that just needs two characters who don't support each other or interact in any other way, and some of that is about the green hair thing

Also Linhardt and Caspar are so good as you probably know by now, and you can pick them up easily by buying their supports in NG+

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

professor metis posted:

heard someone talking poo poo about manuela

Manuela's problem is that her Skill strengths and weaknesses don't match up with any class in the base game except Dancer, which she is blocked from using. Trickster from the DLC is the only class she can really take without a ton of wasted time/resources you could have just spent on multiple other units.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

I'm going to be referring to her as Tiny Murder Machine from now on.

She's like some kind of... sassy, lost child.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I'm doing AM for the first time, just past kill every last one of them and Rodrigue biting it, and Dedue and Ashe's A support broke my heart today, Dedue is such a sweetheart

"don't oversalt it" :cry:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I'm doing AM for the first time, just past kill every last one of them and Rodrigue biting it, and Dedue and Ashe's A support broke my heart today, Dedue is such a sweetheart

"don't oversalt it" :cry:

Something a lot of people seem to miss about Dedue: the key reason he's so fanatically loyal to Dimitri is that Dedue is suicidal. Duscur took everything and everyone he cared about, and Dimitri is the only person and only thing keeping him going. Dedue genuinely doesn't care whether he lives or dies, because he has nothing left to live for.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

galagazombie posted:

wasted time/resources you could have just spent on multiple other units.

it's not wasted time because it was spent on manuela

she deserves the world

(my manuela was the result of grinding her reason up on my first two playthroughs so i could buy it back on Verdant Wind and make her a goddess)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cythereal posted:

Something a lot of people seem to miss about Dedue: the key reason he's so fanatically loyal to Dimitri is that Dedue is suicidal. Duscur took everything and everyone he cared about, and Dimitri is the only person and only thing keeping him going. Dedue genuinely doesn't care whether he lives or dies, because he has nothing left to live for.

I'm surprised people can miss this when it's basically straight-up text in Verdant Wind and not exactly subtle in Azure Moon.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Cythereal posted:

Pretty hard to miss when he and Dimitri explicitly acknowledge that they're in the same place for different reasons and deal with it in different ways, one outward, one inward. I like their A support a lot. Outside of AM Dedue is pretty inaccessible, but you can still see where he's coming from just from getting to know Dimitri a little bit. I don't know that anyone misses that about him, idk where you're getting that from.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

When you do Golden Deer, recruit Linhardt, Caspar and Mercedes. In that route with those three you'l get a paralogue you only can get on GD, one you can't get on Edelgard's route, and one that just needs two characters who don't support each other or interact in any other way, and some of that is about the green hair thing

Also Linhardt and Caspar are so good as you probably know by now, and you can pick them up easily by buying their supports in NG+

Caspar is probably my favorite character out of the Eagles. He's the classic straightforward, rush-into-battle, shounen type, but he is specifically written as not being an idiot. He's just earnest as gently caress, and all of his support links are basically admissions of how jealous everyone is about how insightful and drama-free the guy is. :3:

The one issue I have with him is how one-dimensional his build is. He's a War-Master. That's basically the only reasonable way to build him unless you want to dump a bunch of resources into giving him flying to make him a Wyvern rider.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 12, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

he can easily be an armor knight as well. but yeah, they really didn't leave any options for him. no spell list, no budding talent, no interesting combat arts to learn, etc. of course you can force him into any class but there's absolutely no incentive to unlike with a lot of characters who have obvious classes but still interesting niche options for those who want them.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
If you wanted to be extremely generous you could call it a case of mechanics reflecting the writing

He's a straightforward guy that punches things, of course he can't easily become anything else

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I made him a hero once.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

oh, yeah. the class i always forget exists (despite having a hero balthus in my current run)

hero is in a really sad state in 3H, and would be even if it wasn't gender restricted. its usual niche of being a more diverse swordfighting class is completely neutered by the game mechanics, and its one advantage over swordmaster is a skill you learn by mastering mercenary.

I feel like they could've let hero have axefaire and swordfaire. that'd be an actual niche and a class i would actually want to put some units in.

while i'm talking about this though, i really like my dumb balthus build with the extremely simple plan of putting him in hero because vantage is good with his personal, and defiant strength stacks with that even more.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

So I just beat chapter 8 as Golden Deer. The enemy of that mission was unexpected but foreshadowed. Still no clue who this flame dude is.

He gives you a choice thst is basically join or decline him. I declined. What would have happened if I joined him? As far as I know only Black Eagles have a branching route, and there was no opportunity for me to save between the battle and conversation for me to investigate myself.

Also Flayn sucks as a Pegasus Knight. I swapped her just to get two chests but she cannot handle combat at all. She did get quite lucky with dodging like 4 attacks that would have killed her. Back to priesthood she goes.

Marianne is in a weird position because I believe an earlier post said she had really good black magic as well, but I am having trouble accessing it. She has mastered Monk and Priest. I would like to move her into Mage, but she literally doesn't have the option. Guess I need to tutor her quite a bit. Which is fine, but I don't want to waste class mastery time.

I picked up a Dark Seal. Not sure when to use it. Lorenz can be a dark mage but lol I'm not wasting anything on him.

I have a grip of permanent stat increase items. I always get super gun shy because I don't want to waste such rare items. I am torn between making a strength better or shoring up weaknesses. I think in this game I'm supposed to make strength stronger but still hard to convince myself to use the items.

I am SO thankful for casual mode. When an enemy can randomly one shot you, perma death seems really bad. I don't care thst I'm not smart or dedicated enough to make it work without dying; I enjoy not restarting every battle. Divine Pulse is also cool, but I'd be fine if I didn't have that. Casual mode non negotiable for me.

That's my update thanks for reading

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Shadow225 posted:

I picked up a Dark Seal. Not sure when to use it. Lorenz can be a dark mage but lol I'm not wasting anything on him.

Basically no one really wants Dark Mage, and precisely one person can somewhat make use of Dark Bishop (and they're not on Golden Deer) so, uh, don't unless you like the aesthetics. Dark Seals are mostly just completely pointless.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Shadow225 posted:

He gives you a choice thst is basically join or decline him. I declined. What would have happened if I joined him? As far as I know only Black Eagles have a branching route, and there was no opportunity for me to save between the battle and conversation for me to investigate myself.

Iirc the flame emperor basically just goes "i know you're not serious, don't gently caress with me", it plays out exactly the same.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Dark mage is a kind of dumb class. It’s a male-only class and there’s exactly one male student who learns dark magic, and he’s only recruitable on one route.

There’s no major change if you tell The Flame Emperor you’ll join him; he just says he appreciates the gesture, but he can tell you don’t trust him, and the scene continues same as if you said no.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

If dark mage sucks, who is the Dark Bishop student?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Shadow225 posted:

If dark mage sucks, who is the Dark Bishop student?

Hubert is basically the only one who gets any real use out of it as a class, though I guess some others can benefit from learning Lifetaker by mastering (and then dumping) the class.