Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
*walks out onto the arena floor.

*squats and scribbles on the floor

*picks up big red splotchy crayon drawing.

"This is your blood, I have drawn"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Rigged Death Trap posted:

As a crutch and a cane because hes also blind/hard of seeing.
Maya hosed him up really good, but couldnt/wouldnt end it then.

He's also albino, that tends to be bad for vision, perhaps even if you obtain demigod powers

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Motherfucker posted:

*walks out onto the arena floor.

*squats and scribbles on the floor

*picks up big red splotchy crayon drawing.

"This is your blood, I have drawn"

Book five becomes a legal drama spanning nine decades of litigation on the differences between drawing and sketching.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Meti was almost certainly senile and drunk when she wrote about Maya being her only student.
This is pretty much a given.

As for who better fits as successor to Meti, let's compare:

Meti:
Spends her time living inside a filthy jar while telling other idiots to gently caress off.
Offers phenomenal cosmic power to idiots in return for hairstyle changes.
Has wasted away on a diet of alcohol and donated noodles

Incubus:
Spends his time living inside a filthy pit while telling other idiots to gently caress off.
Has wasted away on a diet of pure ambition.

Maya:
Spends her time wandering around like a hobo while telling other idiots to stalk this one mega-idiot.
Offers rambling recollections of her youth to idiots in search of cosmic power.
Has grown fat on a diet of alcohol and "donated" noodles.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Potato Salad posted:

Book five becomes a legal drama spanning nine decades of litigation on the differences between drawing and sketching.

Solomon doesn't care about the letter of the law - as paternum, he's completely above it. All he really cares about is how it looks.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don’t want to adhere too close to the concepts of the demiurges being embodiments of the seven deadly sins because it’s just a framework to build the story of this comic on, but to damage solomon’s pride is equivalent to beating him, regardless of context or merit, and that alone lends itself to endless possibilities of doing so

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Algid posted:

This is pretty much a given.

As for who better fits as successor to Meti, let's compare:

Meti:
Spends her time living inside a filthy jar while telling other idiots to gently caress off.
Has wasted away on a diet of alcohol and donated noodles

Incubus:
Spends his time living inside a filthy pit while telling other idiots to gently caress off.
Has wasted away on a diet of pure ambition.

Maya:
Spends her time wandering around like a hobo while telling other idiots to stalk this one mega-idiot.
Offers rambling recollections of her youth to idiots in search of cosmic power.
Has grown fat on a diet of alcohol and "donated" noodles.

I'm pretty sure Maya has told people not to stalk that one mega-idiot. But they are, of course, idiots just like her and they all do it anyway.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Through a random google search, I found a fanfic of the tournament starring our favourite taikonaut and her demon robot.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/21956041

I haven't read it, I just found it's existance funny/interesting.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

A story so great even the fanfic has fanfic.

(Ok ok, calling the tournament "fanfic" isn't correct. It was officially sanctioned fanfic)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the word for that is "beta canon", like with Star Trek novels

(not to be confused with betta cannon, a howitzer that fires clouds of brightly colored fish)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Phy posted:

(not to be confused with betta cannon, a howitzer that fires clouds of brightly colored fish)
Not to be confused with batter cannon, a kitchen gadget for making cakes at extremely high speed.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

PMush Perfect posted:

Not to be confused with batter cannon, a kitchen gadget for making cakes at extremely high speed.

Not to be confused with a beta canon, a musical composition with repeated melodies performed by low-T cucks

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Xand_Man posted:

Not to be confused with a beta canon, a musical composition with repeated melodies performed by low-T cucks
Not to be confused with a beater cannon, a really cheap piece of artillery you can pick up for like 300 bucks on Craigslist if you need something for a lovely job that you're never going to get fixed before you use it once and throw it away.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Joe Slowboat posted:

I’m kind of shocked how everyone takes Maya’s self-aggrandizing narrative where Incubus is only a tool and a means to an end totally on its face, despite the fact that Incubus learned precisely Meti’s lessons about action, violence, and sword law. Incubus embraced them wholeheartedly, and that’s one of the reasons Maya absolutely despised him and wants to depict him as this inherently inhuman beast without internality or personal qualities, just another lesson to learn.

Maya feared Incubus but she clearly never wanted to understand him.

I do support the reading that Meti wanted to be killed by Incubus, I think that’s a fascinating theory.

i love the idea that there was some secret, profound-er level of knowledge the self-loathing swordmaster in a barrel taught the self-loathing murder hobo, and withheld from the self-loathing swordmaster in a blood pit, because he was Not Worthy of the true ways of self-loathing barreldwelling. definitely not just a bunch of hosed up petty people who fools assume must be really wise and have their poo poo together underneath it all because they can fight good

the only other piece of useful wisdom Meti had to pass down, both apprentices discarded the instant they became her apprentices

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 12, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hostile V posted:

Not to be confused with a beater cannon, a really cheap piece of artillery you can pick up for like 300 bucks on Craigslist if you need something for a lovely job that you're never going to get fixed before you use it once and throw it away.
Not to be confused with the butter canon, the Pope's official statement on when it's acceptable to eat dairy products.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

I spent waaaaaay too long on this stupid joke.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

PMush Perfect posted:

Not to be confused with the butter canon, the Pope's official statement on when it's acceptable to eat dairy products.

Not to be confused with the butter cannon, which is a culinary tool used in most Paula Deen recipes.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

ullerrm posted:

Not to be confused with the butter cannon, which is a culinary tool used in most Paula Deen recipes.

Not to be confused with the Canon camera company's user-acceptance testing process.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Has anyone suggested yet that Meti’s Sword Manual may have been written after Incubus parted ways with the two of them? Which might explain ‘only apprentice’ without elaborate claims about Incubus secretly not being Meti’s student all along.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Was gonna do a joke on beta canon being the papal decrees they are still workshopping and :regd08: but instead I'm just gonna say that rebranding heresies as 'test branches' would honestly save everyone a lot of grief

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

IMJack posted:

Not to be confused with the Canon camera company's user-acceptance testing process.
Not to be confused with butter canyon, which is when you leave the knife in the stick and it makes a divot.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Xand_Man posted:

Was gonna do a joke on beta canon being the papal decrees they are still workshopping and :regd08: but instead I'm just gonna say that rebranding heresies as 'test branches' would honestly save everyone a lot of grief

On a scale of "not bothered" to "burn this blaspheming motherfucker at the stake" how much would the following Biblical interpretations upset you?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Joe Slowboat posted:

Has anyone suggested yet that Meti’s Sword Manual may have been written after Incubus parted ways with the two of them? Which might explain ‘only apprentice’ without elaborate claims about Incubus secretly not being Meti’s student all along.

presumably he parted ways sometime after Meti died, and hence stopped writing down her gripes about her apprentices

maybe that passage was written before Incubus retroactively became also an apprentice or maybe Meti was just feeling pissy and pointedly pretending he didn't exist that day to degrade him. pretty much anything scans better than reading Maya as a reliable narrator that Meti didn't judge him worthy of entering her Secret Circle of Honor when Meti's whole entire point, over and over, is that there's no honor or real secret to this kung fu bullshit and it's the least worthy undertaking imaginable.

It's what Maya believes, based on her values, that haven't really changed since those flashbacks. If she took anything Meti said about sword law seriously, instead of as like some kind of cool self-deprecating pose to toss out there between chopping lots of motherfuckers up, she would've taken her chance to pursue another life when she got out of the demiurge game (apparently) clean. Instead, she took up as an itinerant killer who just talks about it, and resents Incubus for being 'successful' at what she really wants despite not 'deserving' it.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 12, 2020

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I love that people in this thread don't even read the comic and literally just make poo poo up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

you gonna have an actual point or just continue to screech over and over about how bad and dumb everyone but you is?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Instead, she talks about it, and resents Incubus for being 'successful' at what she really wants despite not 'deserving' it.

He's got her old job. Which she quit. To be a drunk.

Not sure what you are talking about

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Xand_Man posted:

He's got her old job. Which she quit. To be a drunk.

Not sure what you are talking about

she's uh. clearly not happy about how that whole situation panned out man

not a whole lot of "thank god, there but for luck go I" when she talks about Incubus. Or principled commitment to ending the hegemony of the demiurges as a whole for that matter. She drinks, and resents him specifically, over how their life paths diverged.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 12, 2020

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I mean her name is literally "Murder the gods and topple their thrones" I think she's dedicated in some form to ending the hegemony of the demiurges.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

you gonna have an actual point or just continue to screech over and over about how bad and dumb everyone but you is?

Well because apparently people literally can't understand the very lowest bar of storytelling or extremely common and normal storytelling tropes, I'll spell it out for you:

Incubus wasn't Meti's disciple because he learned every wrong lesson from her and understood nothing about what she was trying to teach, but Maya did. Meti doesn't think the ability to kill people real good is a praiseworthy skill, despite being arguably the best at it, so I can't understand how someone can see Incubus, Mr. "instantly kill the rat without a second thought" was taking the right lessons away from Meti's training. He does that, and Meti looks Maya right in the face and says "Well if you didn't want him to kill the rat you should have killed him." Meti talks about how bad swords are but is still willing to teach someone about them and write a whole drat book on it because she doesn't think the act of killing in itself is a good thing, but stills embraces the philosophy of cutting and Royalty. She only ever refers to one apprentice in any of her writing which is obviously Maya. It's strongly implied in the comic that Maya could have been a Demiurge instead of Incubus but isn't, and by the way Jagganoth talks to him, it sounds like she let him have it. Incubus is real good at swords, and no one around him respects him and treats him like a pretender, because he didn't learn anything of value from Meti, he only learned how to sword good, which is obviously not what Meti wants to teach anyone because she literally tells people all the time at every opportunity. And somehow, with all this evidence that Incubus was a bad student and not doing so hot despite being king poo poo of gently caress mountain (like every single demiurge has been revealed to be), the takeaway is that Maya was full of herself? That Meti totally trained Incubus how to sword because he was her apprentice and successor and not a mistake or a teaching aid?

Maya was Meti's only apprentice because she learned what she was trying to teach. Incubus only learned how to kill. How is this that hard to understand?

Glagha fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 12, 2020

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I mean her name is literally "Murder the gods and topple their thrones" I think she's dedicated in some form to ending the hegemony of the demiurges.

yes she likes to say poo poo she absolutely does not back up in any way. Was hanging around in a devil slave pit waiting for a fight to break out like all those other dudes part of an extremely circuitous plan to murder the gods and topple their thrones, do you suppose, or was she just taking the day off?

this is something of a pattern with the daughter of a noodle vendor who talks a bunch about how she'd rather be a noodle vendor and then does the furthest possible thing from that at every opportunity. She's got the same identity crisis Allison does, another normal person thrust into inheriting tremendous hosed-up power with no real idea how to use it constructively, but unlike Allison she refused to figure out who she wants to be. The best she can manage is trying to be Meti II and imitate all of Meti's hardass-sounding lines cause they sounded really loving cool, but Meti's hardass lines came from a woman at the end of a life of actually murdering gods and toppling their thrones, who'd come out of it embittered and with nothing to show but a killer rep and a painful awareness that the only things she knew how to do were totally useless to achieving anything she wanted, who legitimately wished she could've done anything else with her life but it's a lot harder to open a noodle shop when you're a stinky old lady in a barrel who wants to be dead.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 12, 2020

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

yes she likes to say poo poo she absolutely does not back up in any way. Was hanging around in a devil slave pit waiting for a fight to break out like all those other dudes part of an extremely circuitous plan to murder the gods and topple their thrones, do you suppose, or was she just taking the day off?

Both? Seems pretty Royal to be on a booze filled noodle eating spree and stumble headfirst into leading the parade of fools around and causing chaos in the established order. You seem very uncomfortable with paradoxes and contradictory things for a universe with that as its foundational principle

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Maya isn't Royalty and hanging around waiting for something to give you direction isn't Royal, sorry. Being proactive and direct is, like, the entire basis of Royalty, inasmuch as there's a coherent one.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

but Meti's hardass lines came from a woman at the end of a life of actually murdering gods and toppling their thrones

And then she realized that was loving stupid and crawled into a bottle and told people to stop pursuing strength and sword skills as if they're a worthy art unto themselves. She has a strong disdain for people going around and getting into big dick wagging battles as if they makes them important, as evidenced by her pointing out two guys having an epic clash and comparing it to two dudes trying to bash eachother's brains out with a rock. Violence is stupid, but sometimes necessary, and if you're going to have to do it, you might as well learn how to do it well and for the right reason. Maya had the chance to be a demiurge but realized that she would have just ended up like all the others, constantly warring between each other, playing stupid political games, fighting for nothing except power and more fighting. She stepped down because it was stupid and she knew better. Incubus took the throne because he's stupid and learned nothing. Even Zoss corroborates this in some of the most recent pages by telling Allison to let go of control and stop trying to use her power in an attempt to control everything. It's not about "winning", or being the king, or being the best. So Maya became a vagrant like her master, and is now pursuing Allison for reasons we're not entirely sure, but she clearly doesn't want her key like the other pursuers do, because she had the opportunity to try to take it and chose not to. Maya doesn't have the power to murder the gods and topple their thrones, because she's real good with a sword but she doesn't have a key. But Allison does, and maybe with a push she can.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Glagha posted:

And then she realized that was loving stupid and crawled into a bottle and told people to stop pursuing strength and sword skills as if they're a worthy art unto themselves. She has a strong disdain for people going around and getting into big dick wagging battles as if they makes them important, as evidenced by her pointing out two guys having an epic clash and comparing it to two dudes trying to bash eachother's brains out with a rock. Violence is stupid, but sometimes necessary, and if you're going to have to do it, you might as well learn how to do it well and for the right reason. Maya had the chance to be a demiurge but realized that she would have just ended up like all the others, constantly warring between each other, playing stupid political games, fighting for nothing except power and more fighting. She stepped down because it was stupid and she knew better. Incubus took the throne because he's stupid and learned nothing. Even Zoss corroborates this in some of the most recent pages by telling Allison to let go of control and stop trying to use her power in an attempt to control everything. It's not about "winning", or being the king, or being the best. So Maya became a vagrant like her master, and is now pursuing Allison for reasons we're not entirely sure, but she clearly doesn't want her key like the other pursuers do, because she had the opportunity to try to take it and chose not to. Maya doesn't have the power to murder the gods and topple their thrones, because she's real good with a sword but she doesn't have a key. But Allison does, and maybe with a push she can.

Meti didn't become a vagrant because being a vagrant was an awesome and extra-wise thing to be, she did it because that's what tends to happen to old soldiers with zero non-killing skills and severe mental illness when they're done fighting.

Maya didn't become a vagrant/mercenary/whatever because she's keyed into some higher plane of hobo wisdom Meti whispered into her ear one night while Incubus was asleep, she did it because Meti did it, and she never had a plan beyond "be cool like Meti". Now she's out there living like Meti, and vaguely dissatisfied with her life because Meti's life sucks, something she heard constantly from the source itself but never listened to.

Incubus, by the same token, never had a plan beyond "be so powerful and respected nobody can hurt me ever again, like Meti", and is at this point acutely aware that's an ever-receding horizon but still can't get over the pursuit. Neither of them have learned anything since that first flashback, they're both failed disciples and Meti was a terrible teacher.

Glagha posted:

I can't understand how someone can see Incubus, Mr. "instantly kill the rat without a second thought" was taking the right lessons away from Meti's training. He does that, and Meti looks Maya right in the face and says "Well if you didn't want him to kill the rat you should have killed him."

I think this is where you're misreading the comic, you're looking at what it SHOWS you and what Maya TELLS you about it and taking the second one as gospel truth no matter how inconsistent or nonsensical it is. Killing the rat wasn't the "wrong" takeaway, that's how she fucks up the first time! It's not a "killing is bad" lesson! Kill the rat or don't kill the rat, Meti doesn't give a poo poo (if she did, y'know, maybe she wouldn't have set up this little test that inevitably ends in something dying), but figure out what you want fast and commit to it fully. Which Incubus does, while Maya constructs this weird narrative about how actually Incubus was the real rat all along and it was really a lesson about never killing and he failed at his goal, him, not me! The rat remains dead.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 12, 2020

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Okay I give up. You have to be straight up fakeposting because I can't imagine someone missing the mark this profoundly. In this comic, about clashing gods and anime battles and wuxia poo poo, you think that the mysterious swordswoman, who learned her craft from an old, sharp-tongued hermit, is doing what she's doing because she's loving stupid and thinks she's more important than she actually is.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

your posting is weak and flaccid and I will hear no more of your whining, then, I trust

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Glagha posted:

Okay I give up. You have to be straight up fakeposting because I can't imagine someone missing the mark this profoundly. In this comic, about clashing gods and anime battles and wuxia poo poo, you think that the mysterious swordswoman, who learned her craft from an old, sharp-tongued hermit, is doing what she's doing because she's loving stupid and thinks she's more important than she actually is.

yeah i stopped trying to explain to people how stories worked on this website a long time ago. people start off with speculation and then gradually forget that past speculation was never actually confirmed, eventually building a colossal tower of misunderstandings and accidental headcanon. assumptions about the text become the text and everyone's off to the races.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Which Incubus does, while Maya constructs this weird narrative about how actually Incubus was the real rat all along and it was really a lesson about never killing and he failed at his goal, him, not me! The rat remains dead.

No, the rat is meant as a stand-in for Meti. The point is that Meti and Maya are both correct in calling Maya Meti's only disciple, because Incubus was never going to learn anything beyond just straight-up "how to murder people", which was only ever tangentially relevant to what she was trying to teach. Incubus is completely consumed by the need for absolute victory, he was always going to kill the rat, just like he was always going to end up killing Meti because until he did there existed some small possibility she could maybe beat him and he can't put up with that thought (there's a reason he's allied with the person advocating complete omnicide). Meti was aware of this (and didn't really care because why she should care about dying), the point of the it was to try and teach Maya to stop hesitating.

Ryo-ten-Ryam, a few pages later posted:

“When studying sword law, many of my students ask me about the principle of hesitation. I tell them plainly that hesitation is defeat. Thought is slower than the edge of a blade and does not cut half as well.

‘Master,’ they then ask me, ‘What if victory is impossible?’

The answer to this very simple question is this: flee, or go to your just and honest death. Either is a good choice. The worst of all is the man who agonizes for half a breath over the value of his own life and dies an indecisive coward.”

Maya's flaw is that she didn't learn any of this until too late, and even then she can't bring herself to follow it completely. If she wanted to save the rat, she should have killed Incubus then; if she wanted to save Meti, she should have killed Incubus then; now that he's beyond her, she knows she should either get it over with and go get herself killed, or just forget about it and move on with her life (like Meti would have), but she can't bring herself to do either, and is stuck just sitting around and contemplating death.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Glagha posted:

Incubus wasn't Meti's disciple because he learned every wrong lesson from her and understood nothing about what she was trying to teach, but Maya did.

I taught for years, the students who failed my classes were still my students. I still taught them, even the ones who didn't learn well. That's just how that relationship works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Nick Buntline posted:

No, the rat is meant as a stand-in for Meti. The point is that Meti and Maya are both correct in calling Maya Meti's only disciple, because Incubus was never going to learn anything beyond just straight-up "how to murder people", which was only ever tangentially relevant to what she was trying to teach. Incubus is completely consumed by the need for absolute victory, he was always going to kill the rat, just like he was always going to end up killing Meti because until he did there existed some small possibility she could maybe beat him and he can't put up with that thought (there's a reason he's allied with the person advocating complete omnicide). Meti was aware of this (and didn't really care because why she should care about dying), the point of the it was to try and teach Maya to stop hesitating.

Maya's flaw is that she didn't learn any of this until too late, and even then she can't bring herself to follow it completely. If she wanted to save the rat, she should have killed Incubus then; if she wanted to save Meti, she should have killed Incubus then; now that he's beyond her, she knows she should either get it over with and go get herself killed, or just forget about it and move on with her life (like Meti would have), but she can't bring herself to do either, and is stuck just sitting around and contemplating death.

yeah that's fair. the point again, though, is that Maya never learned the lesson, and was neither willing to commit to embracing Meti's teaching (because following it to its conclusions is horrific) nor take Meti's advice to quit while she's ahead and reject the way of swords (because Meti's cool and being a noodle vendor is lame) and so is equally a failure as a student. Maya desperately wants to cast herself as the heir to Meti but there is no 'true' disciple; Meti didn't think so highly of herself as to pretend to be some guardian of the secret wisdom of the universe and mete it out only to the elect, didn't actually secretly view either of them as the child she never had, she was a supreme master of one useless skill who took on students to try to make something for once in her life and failed to teach either of them anything but that skill. Maya can't accept that or move on, so she like the demiurges has remained miserably static for gently caress knows how many eons.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 13, 2020