Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Fruits of the sea posted:

I wish there was a way to poop out infantry from more than one barracks at a time so I could cover the map in endless streams of dudes, Zerg style.
Building more than one of the same production structure accelerates the build times, but it's not 100%.

You can change which one they come out of by clicking it again while it's selected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Chev posted:

Yeah, the infantry stat factoid that's all too easily overlooked when you only consider numbers is "less than half the health" is actually more like "there's still some hair stuck to my tracks".

They're still useful though, especially when trying to push into Nod/Soviet bases. Someone's gotta eat a few hits from Obelisks/Tesla towers. Might as well be the cheap rear end infantry as compared to my tank going pop.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Poil posted:

You can fit five rocket guys to one square but only one tank so they are more space efficient. One big unfortunate drawback with that however. :v:
The only legit use case is basically using their range and concentration to kill things from a bit further away, if you get a ton of them then they can concentrate a lot of fire on a tile at once. Problem is they have terrible mobility, less health, are still prone to all getting wiped out instantly at once by various things, and are stupidly expensive. For the price of 3 tiles of rocket troops you could have 9 tiles of minigunners or 6 medium tanks.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Not that this is a situation that comes up very often, but I feel like a 1-on-1 rocket trooper vs. tank duel can actually favor the rocket trooper, as long as you can micromanage its movement enough to avoid getting squished

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.
Finally finished the GDI campaign. Ion Cannoned the temple of course for that sweet, precious, achievement. Finally after all of these years I got to see Kane awkwardly watch one lieutenant shoot another then get crushed with debris. gently caress I love these corny cutscenes.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

w0o0o0o posted:

Finally after all of these years I got to see the wrong cutscene

That sounds like a bug to me.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

OneEightHundred posted:

IMO RA3 is pretty infuriating because it was designed for 2-player co-op and in SP half of your money goes to your worthless AI partner that does nothing but send units single-file into the wood chipper.

I once had a mission where the AI partner actually won the map for me.

I can't remember which mission it was but I do remember it was a Soviet mission.

Only once, though.

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.

Chronojam posted:

That sounds like a bug to me.

Wait what

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

w0o0o0o posted:

Wait what

There are two endings for completing the GDI campaign that depend on how you destroy the Temple of Nod in the final mission.

1) Destroy the temple with any other means besides the Ion Cannon and you will unlock the cut scene that shows the temple ruins fall on top of Kane. (the one you watched)
2) Destroy the temple with the Ion Cannon and you will unlock the cut scene that shows Kane holding his hands out in a t-pose, welcoming the incoming Ion Cannon blast as he is vaporized. (YouTube Link)

If you destroyed the Temple of Nod with the Ion Cannon and saw the first cut scene you may have run into a bug.

Edit: Also, you don't need to spoiler tag the ending. The original game is 25 years old at this point so I don't think anyone really cares if you spoil the ending.

A Nice Big Dinner fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 12, 2020

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
*Goes back to replay the last mission for the good cut scene*

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

obese retard posted:

There are two endings for completing the GDI campaign that depend on how you destroy the Temple of Nod in the final mission.

1) Destroy the temple with any other means besides the Ion Cannon and you will unlock the cut scene that shows the temple ruins fall on top of Kane. (the one you watched)
2) Destroy the temple with the Ion Cannon and you will unlock the cut scene that shows Kane holding his hands out in a t-pose, welcoming the incoming Ion Cannon blast as he is vaporized. (YouTube Link)

If you destroyed the Temple of Nod with the Ion Cannon and saw the first cut scene you may have run into a bug.

Edit: Also, you don't need to spoiler tag the ending. The original game is 25 years old at this point so I don't think anyone really cares if you spoil the ending.

Having just gone through this myself, I think the temple also needs to be the last building standing when you hit it with the ion cannon. I finished it with the ion cannon but left some silos and power plants, and got the first ending. I reloaded my save, wiped every single last Nod bit from the rest of the map, then ion'd the temple to get the second ending.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

fartknocker posted:

Having just gone through this myself, I think the temple also needs to be the last building standing when you hit it with the ion cannon. I finished it with the ion cannon but left some silos and power plants, and got the first ending. I reloaded my save, wiped every single last Nod bit from the rest of the map, then ion'd the temple to get the second ending.

I didn't think about the Temple of Nod being the absolute last building being left standing in order for the cut scene to trigger but yeah that makes sense now that you mention it.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I got the ion cannon cutscene and I left the temple for last, then finished it off with the ion cannon

Now I’m wondering what the cutscene would have been like if they added a unique ending for capturing and selling the temple :v:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Every time I leave the temple for last they sell it when it's at about 75% health. At slowest speed setting I can get an Ion shot during the sell animation which I hoped would be an instant kill like a SAM site, but no dice.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

gary oldmans diary posted:

Every time I leave the temple for last they sell it when it's at about 75% health. At slowest speed setting I can get an Ion shot during the sell animation which I hoped would be an instant kill like a SAM site, but no dice.

I had that happened to me too, but mine happened when the temple wasn't the last thing on the map. Once it was the last structure, Nod would stop trying to sell it.

Try reloading an earlier save when some other structures are alive and see if it still happens? idk

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Like take out the random houses and all?
On normal difficulty, too. That might be it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Wait, what? You can beat the game by causing Nod to sell their own temple? Seriously?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Like take out the random houses and all?
On normal difficulty, too. That might be it.

Nah, just all the nod buildings. Including that one random rear end turret in the bottom left corner of the map.

e: I was also on normal. No mods.

Twerk from Home posted:

Wait, what? You can beat the game by causing Nod to sell their own temple? Seriously?

3rd super secret cutscene of Kane signing over the deed of the temple to someone else then retiring on a beach somewhere sipping a tiberium cocktail.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm sure the game doesn't appreciate this at all and credits me with winning by killing their mini-gunners.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Nostalgamus posted:

The best distraction for a gunboat is any unit you can move out of range after the boat starts shooting at it. Gunboats never change their target until it dies, even after other units start shooting at it.

Surely thats a new bug.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

3rd super secret cutscene of Kane signing over the deed of the temple to someone else then retiring on a beach somewhere sipping a tiberium cocktail.

Retired kane is a great idea, maybe he could do shakespeare
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aybLTTRuLGA
Also he finally has hair

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Spookydonut posted:

Surely thats a new bug.

Nope! Not sure if it is 100% reliable but the poster speaks the truth.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
https://i.imgur.com/B1NV9zU.mp4

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

:perfect:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Oh my gosh that's right everything is green-screened and now we've got source video

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Oh poo poo do this but add the smug expression he has when he cuts in on that GDI briefing, but hes sitting at a bar in Tahiti or something

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

Didn't know I needed this. Thank you.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Oh man there are so many possibilities now haha.

I finished all the GDI/NOD campaign missions and variants :toot:

I was never able to beat a single Special Ops mission when I was a kid. Played the S3CR3T M1SS10N from I think the N64 version and that was a hoot. Orcas with Obelisk lasers :getin:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I've got to admit, I was expecting the Tiberium Sun teleport out from the NOD ending.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Just theorycrafting, but infantry seem like they are probably undervalued in red alert multiplayer. I'll mess with multiplayer later to verify.

You can amass a whole bunch of infantry units while building your refinery/war factory/ore trucks.

Infantry come from a second build queue from vehicles. You can build them simultaneously and burn through your money without having to build extra war factories. Making a second war factory is expensive and has power requirements that might be better invested in infantry.

APC is the fastest land unit in the game and can pack 5 rocket soldiers who each do a little more dps than a medium tank. There's probably a bunch of shenanigans you could do to harass the enemy buildings/ore trucks or use mobility to put the rocket soldiers in hard to squish areas.

IDK if it's possible to micro to use your own vehicles to stop the enemy from squishing your infantry.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Would packing 5 rocket troopers into a single tile surrounded by concrete walls be a thing? If we assume they don't have air strikes?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

comedyblissoption posted:

Just theorycrafting, but infantry seem like they are probably undervalued in red alert multiplayer. I'll mess with multiplayer later to verify.

You can amass a whole bunch of infantry units while building your refinery/war factory/ore trucks.

Infantry come from a second build queue from vehicles. You can build them simultaneously and burn through your money without having to build extra war factories. Making a second war factory is expensive and has power requirements that might be better invested in infantry.

APC is the fastest land unit in the game and can pack 5 rocket soldiers who each do a little more dps than a medium tank. There's probably a bunch of shenanigans you could do to harass the enemy buildings/ore trucks or use mobility to put the rocket soldiers in hard to squish areas.

IDK if it's possible to micro to use your own vehicles to stop the enemy from squishing your infantry.

I spectated a match in TD where someone sold their construction yard and just zergrushed the enemy with grenadiers.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I think the confusion with the last GDI mission is from the fact that the achievement is for killing the Nod Temple with the Ion Cannon, but for the other ending it is for winning the mission with the destruction of the temple with the Ion Cannon.

People could get the achievement on Steam but not get the minorly different ending.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Bloodly posted:

I've got to admit, I was expecting the Tiberium Sun teleport out from the NOD ending.
The RA1 Soviet ending won't disappoint.

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.

The Question IRL posted:

I think the confusion with the last GDI mission is from the fact that the achievement is for killing the Nod Temple with the Ion Cannon, but for the other ending it is for winning the mission with the destruction of the temple with the Ion Cannon.

People could get the achievement on Steam but not get the minorly different ending.

This is exactly what I did. I bum-rushed the temple with orcas and dropped an ion once it was at low health, then when the mission didn't end I rolled in with my land-army to clean up.

Ah well, time to crack on with the Nod campaign!

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

comedyblissoption posted:

It came out before barracks rush was a known RTS go-to tactic so I guess they didn't balance for it. The apc being so easy to get out and so fast is probably what makes it strong since you can't just stop them with a flame turret, I think later rts make it harder to build fast transports or didn't have them.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

C&C multiplayer is only remotely balanced through gentleman's agreements. God help you if you encounter an opponent who knows "the meta" because they will 100% be doing poo poo like selling their conyard immediately to rush you and quitting if it doesn't work.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

You beautiful person

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Jesus christ, the pathfinding on tanks is going to give me a heart attack.

The worst is when ore collectors get into traffic jams on bridges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This is becoming my favorite QOL mod:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2121899275

quote:

**Every feature can be toggled in the INI file.**

A* Pathfinding
This mod replaces the "crash and turn" pathfinding in Tiberian Dawn with a simple implementation of A*. Generally this means that your units wont get lost or stick to edges when moving around the map.

Rally Points
All construction buildings (and repair depots) can now set rally points. Order a building to move to set a rally point on the ground. Hold Alt to set a rally point on a unit or building.

Repair Suspended Instead of Cancelled
Buildings will no longer cancel their repairs if you run out of money. They'll just pause and continue when you do have money.

Harvester Queue Jumping
Harvesters will no longer wait around the refinery for a harvester that is further away. They'll now jump the queue if they're closer. Maximum efficiency!

Tiberium Growth Scale
Configurable tiberium growth. Defaults to 1 (normal growth) but you can set it as high as you like in the ini file

Configurable Build Distance
By default you can now build one tile further from your buildings (as in later C&C games), but you can make this distance as big/small as you like in the ini file.

Repair Depot Queue
Units will now form an orderly queue for the repair depot. No more micro management!

Harvester Self Healing
Harvester will now self heal up to 50% health, at the same rate as the mammoth tank. This is in line with later games in the series and should make them going on grand tours of the enemy base a little bit less annoying.

Commando Mission Airstrike Tweaks
Disables A10 Warthog strikes on commando missions prior to the player having a base

The tiberium growth is probably the only thing that truly unbalances the game but it's set to standard growth by default.