Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

nikosoft posted:

Are you serious? I mean, I don't have kids, so I don't really know. We did daycare until I was maybe eight or so, and then I was old enough to 'babysit' my brother after school. If I was a parent I'd rather be available, but I also think we were old enough to be fine, and people gotta work.

This is from a rich town by me

quote:

While police never pursued charges, DCFS launched an investigation after someone saw Widen’s daughter, Wendy, on her solo walk.

Shortly after the eight-year-old got home, a Wilmette police officer rang the doorbell.

“I was like really scared,” Dorothy said. “I saw the police just there, like the police’s car and I heard the like sirens going off.”

When asked to describe her reaction when she first saw the police, Widen said, “for a split second I thought maybe it was fundraising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

if SPD storm the zone after 48 hours for the high crime of having a mic stand and encouraging shoddy gardening it's just gonna piss off way more people

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

post the ghana pallbearers edit

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
hi corona thread

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Mr. Pizza posted:

post the ghana pallbearers edit

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I mean the second aspect of that is there's a huge difference between "capital has said open it up" and "people are marching out to applebees en masse". Even during the largest open-er-up protests, something like 80% of people were being polled as "yo this poo poo is nuts"; and even of that other 20% there's a difference between "I want the country opened up in a theoretical sense" and "I am actually willing to back that up with actions and go eat at a resturaunt".

So realistically it's going to look like it's been looking:
- Towns/Counties/States are going to be pushed into saying "open it up"
- There will be an initial crush of people that (honestly) probably have a low chance of being a superspreader event because it consists of people who don't have it because they've been quarantined
- There will be a period of indeterminate length where individuals from that 80% trickle out as they fight with their own brains between:
-- Seeing the hospital numbers of other places in the US that are being bombarded and getting more worried, or
-- Cracking and heading out/taking fewer precautions via a combination of constant gaslight "it's just a flu" bombardment and local "well nothing bad has happened here yet"
- Eventually the trickle will cause a new invisible superspreader event that nobody will be able to predict or know about until after the fact
- 2-4 weeks after that, everything goes to poo poo locally and the town becomes a statistic

Upshot is there's not (necessarily*) going to be "another wave" if you're looking at things at a country or even necessarily a state level, you'd likely have to be looking at statistics on a township/city level to see the proper peaks and ebbs in a way that matters.

Of course I say this while we're in the midst of a global surge of protests so there's nearly guaranteed to be a wave based off that, but I can hope it's just the pigs catching it

whats gonna happen is that various parts of the us go thru the nyc curve until the kindling is burnt out then it'll slow down after it's killed all the vulnerable ppl

so you'll see local waves that might synchronize up to a big overall wave but individual areas will be in different states

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
I have done some scientific research and the conclusion I have come to is I will leave the house in October.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Homeless Friend posted:

You can't shut down the economy again! You will regret this!

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1271077312243683329

What is funny is that they figured out the recession started in February.

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
A 50% economy for 12+ months as people watch tens of thousands of people get sick daily will surely be better than a 25% economy for 3 months that would have stopped the virus completely, it's just math.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

'shutting down the economy' is the dumbest loving phrase

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Solarin posted:

The economy absolutely never shut down in the first place. A section of the service industry shut down, that was it.

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

Solarin posted:

even after hearing it over and over again its still so loving stupid and infantile that I just....can't

when did this happen. we've always been evil and greedy and dumb. but this level of childishness and stupidity is on another level. yeah yeah trump, but what started it?

i blame twitter

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mystes posted:

The policy is just because that's what they think other customers want to hear. It's obviously not actually to protect the health of workers.

Yeah, just like the whole 'masks encouraged but optional' thing a bunch of places have settled on. It's lovely and misses the point. If I go to a place that says 'masks required' and see a bunch of people not wearing masks im just gonna leave.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Thoguh posted:

If I go to a place that says 'masks required' and see a bunch of people not wearing masks im just gonna leave.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Solarin posted:

The news likes to simplify things because people who watch the news are morons so it is easier to refer to complex systems as if they were a toaster. "We are slowly re-opening the economy" is such a nonsensical thing to say and yet it has been written into tens of thousands of articles by now.

As a scientist I see this constantly in science journalism, but it also extends to everything covered by journalists.

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

Forget everything I said about there being no second wave. Open e r up!

https://twitter.com/kmbc/status/1271149723932659713?s=20

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Kids being on their own seems to vary by neighborhood and how pearl clutchy your neighbors are. I see kids walking to school and to the store together all the time.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Thoguh posted:

If I go to a place and see a bunch of people not wearing masks im just gonna leave.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

nikosoft posted:

Do people just not leave their kids at home alone anymore? My brother and I were always left alone, and we alternated between watching TV and beating each other up. I'm sure we could have squeezed in some Zoom class sessions as well.

today white people think that thats begging for your kids to get kidnapped or murdered by ms-13/antifa/gangbangers

mystes
May 31, 2006

If I go to a place... nah not going to go to a place.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019
I can top the people doing the going back to the gym thing to new levels of "lol". I have a friend from when I played uni Rugby is starting a new gym, in the US. What makes it funnier is that he is a physical rehab person with a terminal degree, and should 100% know better.

I have crack pinged.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just learned my primary school is going back 100% kids every day lmao

good luck teachers

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Mr Hootington posted:

What is funny is that they figured out the recession started in February.

I really don't understand why this is a surprise.

is the joke that it only took them 3 months and it usually takes 6?

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Posts going up in covid thread, I wonder what that could mean?

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Shear Modulus posted:

today white people think that thats begging for your kids to get kidnapped or murdered by ms-13/antifa/gangbangers

as president of antifa this is true

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

fosborb posted:

I really don't understand why this is a surprise.

is the joke that it only took them 3 months and it usually takes 6?

Everyone blames it on covid in march, but the economy was blowing up before the shutdowns.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

everyone in feb knew covid wasa coming

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
If anyone needs a happy song here is one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1veUw1NNFz8

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

I have done some scientific research and the conclusion I have come to is I will leave the house in October.

:same:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

S tier

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

I just learned my primary school is going back 100% kids every day lmao

good luck teachers

Where at? I'm surprised its announced this early

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

Where at? I'm surprised its announced this early

it’s not announced

insider info :ssh:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

euphronius posted:

was that the time the president was telling everyone is was a hoax made up by his political enemies?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Solarin posted:

was that the time the president was telling everyone is was a hoax made up by his political enemies?

last day of feb iirc

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

I liked when people were highlighting the congressional stock sell off and trying to spin it as insider trading and I'm like did anybody google coronavirus before March 1st.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

In Training posted:

I liked when people were highlighting the congressional stock sell off and trying to spin it as insider trading and I'm like did anybody google coronavirus before March 1st.

The only weird part was that it took that long for the market to react. It was obvious covid was going global by mid February.

mystes
May 31, 2006

spaceblancmange posted:

Posts going up in covid thread, I wonder what that could mean?
It's just a party to celebrate the end of covid.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

In Training posted:

apparently not anyone in Congress, because they only sold everything right after their secret meeting about the expected impact.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

do you guys not understand how denial works and how attractive an option it is to human beings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
beep boop nope