Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ashsaber posted:

Sounds like a bit of a waste to me, why take years dismantlying it when you could Minify Everything and just directly bolt parts of it onto your ship?

Mostly because it takes forever, first it takes forever for me, the player, to manually reinstall each individual wall chunk, and then it takes forever for my colonists because they can only carry one wall chunk at a time. It's so so so much faster to just deconstruct the entire enemy ship and let everyone store it in stacks of metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

The space battle is one of my more favored ones, though I haven’t had direct hits on my colony yet. Running in to grab a treasured down pawn though is super nail biting.

The space battle event seems like it picks a rough quadrant of the map, and if you don't have anything there then you can just wait it out unless you desperately want to rescue a pawn. It feels like the specific quadrant is fixed on each map rather than picked each time the event fires so you can know not to put anything important out there, but that may be some weird mod interaction on my end.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Is there a way to force colonists to go back to the dining room to eat or should I just build tables and chairs all around the colony? I know the "ate without a table" penalty isn't very much but it still annoys me.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Moon Slayer posted:

Is there a way to force colonists to go back to the dining room to eat or should I just build tables and chairs all around the colony? I know the "ate without a table" penalty isn't very much but it still annoys me.

Use nutrient paste.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
You can't force pawns to walk to a table, no. The easiest solution is to build 1x2 tables and place them pretty much everywhere. Just be sure to turn off the gathering point option if you put it in a work station area, a bedroom, etc so you don't suddenly end up with a party in someone's bedroom.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The big problem I had was that when a caravan was loitering around they'd all barge into everyone's rooms to eat, even if I disallowed the doors.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Theres a mod or two that will extend the range pawns will look for a table, but in general they will do everything they can to avoid eating in your immaculate rec room because they're assholes

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Moon Slayer posted:

The big problem I had was that when a caravan was loitering around they'd all barge into everyone's rooms to eat, even if I disallowed the doors.

yup! without a way to designate where caravans hang out (hospitality has this i think) that's going to happen. fortunately it largely doesn't matter but occasionally the dinguses will come in and snarf down a meal while people are trying to sleep.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I use a mod that lets you tell traders where to hang out, and I build a few tables for them to eat at and make some nice things. Eventually I may wall it off and try to make it a decent room so I get the dining room buffs when the field colonists use those tables.

Otherwise I try to have an eating area in places where I expect pawns to usually change jobs or get hungry at. Small table in the research/medical bay and craft hall, big rec room with tables that's the closest thing to the bedrooms (so they wake up and go there to eat), and a few small tables around the fields.

If you really want to force them to only eat in the rec room though... Keeshound's correct. Let them eat paste.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
No Carried Food will stop pawns from carrying around food and thus will force them to return to pick some up to eat, so as long as you have a nearby table they should eat there. Room Food helps insure this (if you're using a fridge mod) by making them prefer to take food from rooms with a table.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Well, SOMETHING is wrong with my storyteller - spring and summer and no events. I'm using dev mode for the first time to try and figure this out :(

e: After staring at my modlist for a while and the devlog I removed the elder things faction mod and voila, rare thrumbos. Randy is ready and I think I can finally expect this game to speed up.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 11, 2020

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Have we established that Rim Cities hogs all the quests? I hardly get any royalty quests, but tons of stuff to do with cities.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can turn off city quests in the options and there was an update a while ago to make the city quest actually expire. But yeah they're crap quests.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

The Elder Things mod breaking events is really sad to me, I wanted to try rebuilding a Antarctic city with them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hungry posted:

The Elder Things mod breaking events is really sad to me, I wanted to try rebuilding a Antarctic city with them.

Note that it's hard to be sure what is/isn't breaking things in my game, I went hogwild with mods and now have 130+ installed. I recommend trying Elder Things yourself, maybe it was a conflict on my end?

Anyways, I came to shoutout to Zombieland for giving me the kind of defensive nonsense game I wanted. Cult stuff is fun, but it doesn't throw in enough chaos and now I use Fences to keep my base safe. I also had the fun of doing two amputations back to back - Hondo had a zombie infected foot, and Seahorse had an infected arm from a prior injury.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

My current setup with bone fences and zombies everywhere:

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012
The amount of mods you can bolt onto this game without it exploding is great. I just passed 200 and, while sometimes my pawns will load without hair but with the character editor I can fix that easy. Being able to start with literally nothing, on a planet full of horrible robots, with vast swathes of it either infested by insects or Xenomorphs. Building my own tiny fiefdom of outlying colonies that send me an income of silver to fund my mountain fort full complete with an oil refinery, genetics lab (for both animal and people splicing), a nuclear power station and the beginnings of building a fleet of ships. All of that building up to making my own space faring ship and finally leaving this hellhole rock for planet-hopping space adventures.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Randy: anyways, gently caress you

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
That is a cool base and making the red occulus biome look more appealing(I like that Rose Quartz is common in it) but god drat is that like 3-4 attacking groups at once? All those red dots on the map?

Gonna restart Hydra Head in another feralisk jungle, I was disappointed with the original base layout and out of control colonist growth I got going. It's tempting to use mods like More Slaves(broadens slaver stock) to shotgun your available guys but without good efficient and organic small food/farm production it becomes an unpleasant chore to expand. Also made the raids a slog to the point I was trying to ignore them with dev mode. Hollow, hollow. Snake Head was 100% manual, Hydra Head must be too. I did learn more about base layout and animal management at least, so not a total waste of time. And I did iron out the five head frames I want to shoot for, I held back for awhile because of artistic skill concerns.

I have a really good feeling about this site! Mountainous huge river with feralisk jungle and an old road on the same tile! So much character in a map. This was worth a billion map loads.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Doomykins posted:

That is a cool base and making the red occulus biome look more appealing(I like that Rose Quartz is common in it) but god drat is that like 3-4 attacking groups at once? All those red dots on the map?

Thanks! Also oh god, no, that's not a bunch of attackers, just the one. Zombies are a giant pain, dangerous, and also hilarious against raiders. But they did shell and destroy two of my windmills :mad:

Good luck with Hydra Head! Getting enough food for that many colonists is SO tough - to the point that my current base is overflowing in food because I overdid it out of reflex after having 20+ guys last time.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Chobayt posted:

The amount of mods you can bolt onto this game without it exploding is great. I just passed 200 and, while sometimes my pawns will load without hair but with the character editor I can fix that easy. Being able to start with literally nothing, on a planet full of horrible robots, with vast swathes of it either infested by insects or Xenomorphs. Building my own tiny fiefdom of outlying colonies that send me an income of silver to fund my mountain fort full complete with an oil refinery, genetics lab (for both animal and people splicing), a nuclear power station and the beginnings of building a fleet of ships. All of that building up to making my own space faring ship and finally leaving this hellhole rock for planet-hopping space adventures.

Tell me more about the "fiefdom of outlying colonies" thing. And the genetics lab.

e: aha found 'em. Empire and Genetic Rim respectively. I tossed in the vanilla textures for genetic rim, and RimCities, as well as Witcher Monster Hunt because why the gently caress not. Cram 'em all in. Make this a bustling rimworld with a thousand things going on.

and then I load in to make sure my game can handle it and randy tosses me a mechanoid cluster because he's having a great time. pal.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 12, 2020

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Tell me more about the "fiefdom of outlying colonies" thing. And the genetics lab.

e: aha found 'em. Empire and Genetic Rim respectively. I tossed in the vanilla textures for genetic rim, and RimCities, as well as Witcher Monster Hunt because why the gently caress not. Cram 'em all in. Make this a bustling rimworld with a thousand things going on.

and then I load in to make sure my game can handle it and randy tosses me a mechanoid cluster because he's having a great time. pal.

Genetic Rim and Pawnmorpher, because why limit yourself in the warcrimes/horrible experimentation department. I didn't know about the Witcher mod, I'll have to look at that because throwing Strigas onto my hellplanet sounds like a good time.

Oh, and it looks like Empires is based around setting up colonies early-on as the military attacks supposedly give you a grace period before they start ramping/scaling. I waited and my level two farming community got hit with an attack with a Mil. score of 8. We did not win.

Was it this thread or on Reddit or something where someone was talking about working on an update to add Alpha Animals to Pawnmorpher?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

It was in this thread. The new assets look really neat! :)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

How do I do things with my ship in SOS2? I can't figure out how to shoot my weapons or visit orbital sites :(

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Anyone have tips for dealing with raids? It seems like as soon as I get a killzone or traps set up I only get raids that "notice and avoid your traps" and suddenly I get swarmed by huge raids that attack my base from a ton of different directions. I usually make it through, but I'm always down 1-2 colonists and half my base burned down.

I really don't get combat in this game. Any time a guy get melee range on one of my shooters, that shooter is hosed. But if I rush a shooter with a bunch of melee dudes, my guys are the ones getting meleed down by an archer.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 12, 2020

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I wasn't feeling my new map (already did a mountain bunker, kinda want to do a more open village this time) so I figured now was a good time to push the "subscribe to all" on the Vanilla Expanded list. Hopefully my game doesn't explode!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Demon_Corsair posted:

Anyone have tips for dealing with raids? It seems like as soon as I get a killzone or traps set up I only get raids that "notice and avoid your traps" and suddenly I get swarmed by huge raids that attack my base from a ton of different directions. I usually make it through, but I'm always down 1-2 colonists and half my base burned down.

I really don't get combat in this game. Any time a guy get melee range on one of my shooters, that shooter is hosed. But if I rush a shooter with a bunch of melee dudes, my guys are the ones getting meleed down by an archer.

Raiders will always notice your traps, so the best thing you can do is place them where they can't avoid them - they will funnel toward any open area of your base, but will not avoid traps if their only path there forces them over them. a 1x1 hallway lined with traps will hit them every time...

Unless they have sappers or drop into your base from orbit.

Sappers are enemies that attack your walls and try to break through, then enemies funnel in. You can kill them with mortars, or by sending a couple soldiers outside the wall (through a nearby convenient door) to shoot them down. Each raid has a maximum of a few sappers so if you kill the targets going for your walls, the rest will funnel through your killbox.

Orbital raids can't drop down through mountain roofs so that's one easy way to avoid them, or you can use a mod that disables them (there's also a mod that disables sappers), there's no real defense from them if you're not in a mountain.

Melee pretty much always trumps ranged in 1v1, it's very hard for anyone to hit a target that's meleeing them - a Recurve Bow has 35% accuracy in melee range. But it's easy for other shooters to hit your melee targets, usually.

A 3-wide hallways is best for infestations but 1-wide hallways/doorways/chokepoints are good for taking on human raiders.

I try to filter them through a 1x10 hallway and shoot them down while they're in there with 3 ranged colonists (or 2 ranged 1 melee) behind the door at the end of it.

But if you have a nice long 1-tile hallway full of traps they usually won't even make it past.

(If you can line one side of the hallway with doors in every other space it makes it much easier to rearm the traps without risk)

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

If you start a colony on an impassable terrain tile, but adjacent to passable tiles, can you send/receive caravans?

e: never mind, game told me I can't build there :saddowns:

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 12, 2020

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Demon_Corsair posted:

If you're losing 3-to-1 melee fights where your guys have melee weapons and the other guy has a bow there's something else going on. Your guys are already super injured, or have incredibly low melee skills, or missing limbs or something.

Traps are good and all, but I don't generally like relying on them and them alone. Winning fights is a combination of the quality of your gear and your knowledge and use of positioning.

I recommend most of your defense be guns, with 1-3 melee guys there to hold the line. For your ranged guys, it's very tempting to devote your early research to infrastructure upgrades like geothermal generators or hydroponics bays, but I've learned it's best to beeline the ability to craft better guns. Choosing the right gun can be complex, but the tl:dr summary is early on, go for chain shotguns and LMGs.

For your melee guys, steel plate mail and simple helmets will be good enough early, but don't put off getting marine armor for too long.

Positioning is harder to describe, but hopefully a visual aid will be useful. Here's my favorite early-game killbox that is extremely cheap and effective, requires no traps or turrets. Please forgive my crappy mspaint.

If a melee enemy closes in on your melee guy your front guns won't be able to fire, so retreat them around to the sides of the defense blocks and they'll be able to keep shooting at the guy who is gummed up on your melee dude.

Remember enemies will never stop to stand on sandbags, so putting those sandbags in the upper entrance area prevents enemies from using the entrance of your killbox as cover.

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012
Well shoot. I just praised the game last night for it's stability with mods, which I guess was too soon since today I reloaded an autosave after my main colonist took a face full of multiple mechanoid fire after opening a crashed ship on an away mission. The game ate all my colonists. Not just in the autosave but in my hard save from earlier today and an errant hard save from last night. Poof, gone. Every save loads up to the world map (not even looking at my section of the world, I'm assuming looking at some origin co-ord) and after a bit I get the "Everyone is dead" message.

Luckily I hadn't even moved into the mountain base yet so I didn't lose a whole lot but still, dang. I guess this means I need fiddle with/gut and start over my mod list.

Unrelatedly, anyone recall that old mod (like b18) that let you dig down to another Z-level below your base and mine/build down there? Well some crazy modder did that and more: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2127428910 Z-levels up and down. It's still really early and sorta clunky but hot-drat. Right now I'm only seeing the ability to compact my base a little bit (building like, an inn of rooms all around/above my main dining room, multi-level warehouse stuff like that) but if this takes off and other mods start hooking in/making use of it?

Imagine if Rim Cities hooked in and you could send your guys off to raid a MegaCity, tens of z-levels tall. Surface infestations from the better infestations mod now aren't some rinky-dink cave in a hill but a multi-level cave dungeon. Or even SoS2 multi-level ships/derelicts. You could find a space-hulk out there.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ah, so it's like my dog. Whenever I brag about how Apollo is really good at [behavior X] he will almost instantly defy that and prove that he's a giant jerk. (I love him)

Rimworld modding: it's stable until it isn't. Back up your saves if you really care about them, and don't be afraid to use devmode to fix things.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

deep dish peat moss posted:

How do I do things with my ship in SOS2? I can't figure out how to shoot my weapons or visit orbital sites :(

Finding orbital sites is done either as intellectual work at a full bridge, or passively if you have a computer core. I think weapons and shields are activated by the bridge too but I also feel like I read they have their own consoles. Try forcing someone to man the bridge and see what buttons pop up :v:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

Raiders will always notice your traps, so the best thing you can do is place them where they can't avoid them - they will funnel toward any open area of your base, but will not avoid traps if their only path there forces them over them. a 1x1 hallway lined with traps will hit them every time...

Unless they have sappers or drop into your base from orbit.

Sappers are enemies that attack your walls and try to break through, then enemies funnel in. You can kill them with mortars, or by sending a couple soldiers outside the wall (through a nearby convenient door) to shoot them down. Each raid has a maximum of a few sappers so if you kill the targets going for your walls, the rest will funnel through your killbox.

Orbital raids can't drop down through mountain roofs so that's one easy way to avoid them, or you can use a mod that disables them (there's also a mod that disables sappers), there's no real defense from them if you're not in a mountain.

Melee pretty much always trumps ranged in 1v1, it's very hard for anyone to hit a target that's meleeing them - a Recurve Bow has 35% accuracy in melee range. But it's easy for other shooters to hit your melee targets, usually.

A 3-wide hallways is best for infestations but 1-wide hallways/doorways/chokepoints are good for taking on human raiders.

I try to filter them through a 1x10 hallway and shoot them down while they're in there with 3 ranged colonists (or 2 ranged 1 melee) behind the door at the end of it.

But if you have a nice long 1-tile hallway full of traps they usually won't even make it past.

(If you can line one side of the hallway with doors in every other space it makes it much easier to rearm the traps without risk)

How many mortars are you building? I’ve noticed even 4 tends to get gently caress all done as shell spread goes everywhere. I tried shelling a mech hive with 4 and blew through like 50 HE shells before I gave up and dove in with emp grenades and Zeus hammers.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

bitterandtwisted posted:

If you start a colony on an impassable terrain tile, but adjacent to passable tiles, can you send/receive caravans?

e: never mind, game told me I can't build there :saddowns:

Note that if you start on, say, a mountainous tile that has ocean tile to the east and open tiles to the west, and if the mountain covers up the west, that your caravans might not be able to leave your base because they can't exit on the west side of the map.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Rhymenoserous posted:

How many mortars are you building? I’ve noticed even 4 tends to get gently caress all done as shell spread goes everywhere. I tried shelling a mech hive with 4 and blew through like 50 HE shells before I gave up and dove in with emp grenades and Zeus hammers.

50 shells should have done a lot. Are you sure the mech hive didn't have a mortar shield?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Rhymenoserous posted:

If you're not using some kind of mod to get better howitzers, you'll need at least eight to get proper saturation on most targets.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Chobayt posted:

Unrelatedly, anyone recall that old mod (like b18) that let you dig down to another Z-level below your base and mine/build down there? Well some crazy modder did that and more: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2127428910 Z-levels up and down. It's still really early and sorta clunky but hot-drat. Right now I'm only seeing the ability to compact my base a little bit (building like, an inn of rooms all around/above my main dining room, multi-level warehouse stuff like that) but if this takes off and other mods start hooking in/making use of it?

Imagine if Rim Cities hooked in and you could send your guys off to raid a MegaCity, tens of z-levels tall. Surface infestations from the better infestations mod now aren't some rinky-dink cave in a hill but a multi-level cave dungeon. Or even SoS2 multi-level ships/derelicts. You could find a space-hulk out there.

:aaaaa: Good lord that's insane.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Tell me more about these mortar mods.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Did not realize that the Empire was set as enemies for all the other planetary factions, decided it's time to liberate the planet from the oppressors and though the Dynamic Diplomacy mod, unite the outlanders and tribal natives against the Imperials and their pirate lackeys!

It looks like Death Acidifiers nuke adjacent gear as well, so stripping them offing means their gun still gets borked. Is that true or did I see it incorrectly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Doomykins posted:

Tell me more about these mortar mods.

Mortar Accuracy is the one I use.