Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Crusade would have been much more acceptable as a card if only the Elspeth version existed instead of this being the first and most common version of the card:

In contrast, the Elspeth version:

When you look at this it becomes a lot clearer why it made the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Yeah on further reflection I think the fact that the Alpha version it depicts literal, historical Christian crusaders puts it over the line, though I'd expect them to remove the art from Gatherer and ban Alpha versions from tournaments rather than the name/mechanic itself.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I don't think all the Deus Vult and crusades poo poo was as big in white power circles back in alpha, to be fair.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

moths posted:

I don't think all the Deus Vult and crusades poo poo was as big in white power circles back in alpha, to be fair.

Didn't it all take off after Kingdom of Heaven came out? I feel like that's when it was a meme on the 'net in general, then everyone but white supremacists moved on to other memes.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

canyoneer posted:

What a dick move

It's also absurd, because it in no way looks like a penis. It looks like two penises, docking.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Notahippie posted:

It's also absurd, because it in no way looks like a penis. It looks like two penises, docking.

As the head of a larger penis. A Voltron of penises. Dicktron.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Darwinism posted:

As the head of a larger penis. A Voltron of penises. Dicktron.

A large group of dicks is called a "forum"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
e: nm

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 22, 2020

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

moths posted:

If you went back to '93 and told Richard Garfield about 2020, I imagine he would be briefly thrilled at the news that Magic was still being played 27 years later (Jesus) and... well... as for the rest...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Slab Squatthrust posted:

Didn't it all take off after Kingdom of Heaven came out? I feel like that's when it was a meme on the 'net in general, then everyone but white supremacists moved on to other memes.

I didn't really notice it until the last four or five years, but I think Carl of Sargon or whatever the gently caress he calls himself popularized it with his calls to protect "western culture" from becoming anything more than fast food chains and white male protagonists in video games.

It also showed up when the classical statue avatars got big - so probably dawn of alt-right rebranding.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

moths posted:

I didn't really notice it until the last four or five years, but I think Carl of Sargon or whatever the gently caress he calls himself popularized it with his calls to protect "western culture" from becoming anything more than fast food chains and white male protagonists in video games.

It also showed up when the classical statue avatars got big - so probably dawn of alt-right rebranding.
I remember a burst of "crusade" talk for a few years after 9/11 - a lot of dipshits would run blogs with names like "The Gates Of Vienna" and so forth. It all faded away after a couple of years when our brilliant Middle Eastern imperial adventure revealed itself to be not so fun after all.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I remember for a minute GWB wanted to name a new sp artillery vehicle the Crusader.

The Crusades were christendom's highschool football days, and they get remembered with more embellishment than fact.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

potatocubed posted:

Black game designers I can point you towards:

• Eloy Lasanta, creator of Ninja Crusade 2nd edition (rad) and Orun (forthcoming) amongst other things.
  • Misha Bushyager, who has credits on about eleven million things and I think was lead editor for the #Feminism anthology.
  • Nick Butler, who hasn't done much yet but I reckon is one to watch in future. His Tidebreaker is currently in... open beta, I think?
  • Allie Bustion, who has a whole bunch of designs on itch and should probably be better known than she is.
  • Quinn Murphy, who is an extremely insightful designer and has been around forever.
  • Chris Spivey, who I just sort of assume everyone knows but maybe people don't? He's the man behind Harlem Unbound and a new weird west game that I can never remember the name of.
  • Mike Pondsmith, who I also assume everyone knows about but maybe not. Creator of Cyberpunk 2020.

That should get you started.

Spivey's new project is Haunted West. Last Kickstarter update is that they should deliver by late winter.

I think he has another project soon that was going to be a Chaosium release until it wasn't?

Edit: the setting was called Kadimah

https://www.chaosium.com/blognew-future-for-kadimah-rpg-setting-darker-hue-and-chaosium-agree-on-new-home-for-science-fiction-project/

Eastmabl fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 12, 2020

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

FMguru posted:

I remember a burst of "crusade" talk for a few years after 9/11 - a lot of dipshits would run blogs with names like "The Gates Of Vienna" and so forth. It all faded away after a couple of years when our brilliant Middle Eastern imperial adventure revealed itself to be not so fun after all.

I mean, it hasn't really faded away at all - Most of the people doing masjid shootings reference that sort of thing in their manifestos, and a lot of the people that run blogs like "Gates of Vienna" ended up with a bunch of influence over U.S. Politicians to this day.

For some good industry news - I ended up getting the DTRPG charity bundles, mostly on the strength of one RPG I saw called "Rocket Age" that looked neat. I really like Planetary Romance style stuff.*

I was reading the book and digging it after I downloaded it and it was p. cool until I got to the part about languages, which listed 11 Earth languages and listed where on Earth they were spoken, and where in the solar system colonies they were spoken, except Arabic, which said:

quote:

Spoken by a large percentage of the Earthlings but currently mostly restricted to Earth due to political and economic pressures. Arabic is also the liturgical language of Islam."

I was concerned it was going to end up being a Cthulhutech type "oh, the People of Muhammad are too primitive to be involved in our sci-fi setting" type thing. Someone told me that the text was different in the Vortex original version of the game, so I thought I'd email the developers and point out that a paragraph essentially saying that "Pretty much only people on earth speak this language" is essentially discouraging people from playing Arab characters, no matter the intent.

I got a really detailed response from the developer about fifteen minutes later that was probably one of the best responses I've seen coming from a traditional games company. It went into a lot of detail about off-world Arab speaking populations in some of the supplements, some other ways Arabic speakers fit naturally in the setting, acknowledgement that they overlooked how that paragraph could come up, a promise to remember and do better, and encouragement to join the community.

(I went and bought a bunch of the supplements for the game + the vortex version afterwards.)

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

moths posted:

Ironic considering "white culture" back in the "golden age" was literally white people killing other white people because they worshiped the same deity differently. Or the fact the romans raped and pillaged the pagans and forced them into Christianity while idiots today thought that immigrants were going to do the same thing to us. Bitch, no, that was people with the same color as you who made that popular, you can't complain about it when you think these starving brown people who came to ESCAPE violence are going to do the same thing. If the Picts were still around (And they sorta are, but I mean, like, in "the being naked and painting themselves blue" method of life) I bet you these same idiots would bitch about them being savages because they aren't Christian. (Same would apply to the Viking's now that I think about it lmao).

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Notahippie posted:

That took me a while to spot. I found the batarang faster.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

11 languages?!???

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Words definitely have influence, and yeah it's probably a good idea to at least clean up the optics.

Meanwhile at Talsorian Games:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

:stonk:

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

moths posted:

Words definitely have influence, and yeah it's probably a good idea to at least clean up the optics.

Meanwhile at Talsorian Games:

That book came out in 1997, when Stormfront was basically a password protected BBS that only the FBI knew about.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh weird. Someone picked a real tone-deaf opportunity to push it then.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

moths posted:

It would not shock me if a bunch of racists with too much money to burn bought a copy to make the algorithm push it or something.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

I remember when Comrades (a PbtA game about being leftist revolutionaries) had a bunch of loving idiots in the dtrpg comments calling it "RaHoWa: the other side" and asking if purges were a part of the game.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

HerraS posted:

I remember when Comrades (a PbtA game about being leftist revolutionaries) had a bunch of loving idiots in the dtrpg comments calling it "RaHoWa: the other side" and asking if purges were a part of the game.

The…the, uh, "other side" against explicit white supremacy?

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

That Old Tree posted:

The…the, uh, "other side" against explicit white supremacy?

Fascists literally cannot resist telling on themselves, yep.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
https://rtalsoriangames.com/2020/06/12/mike-pondsmith-cops-and-racists/

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wow, good on him

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

moths posted:

This is really close to Carl Sagan and I did a doubletake

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

This is really close to Carl Sagan and I did a doubletake

Sargon of Akkad is the handle, better known as Carl of Swindon. He's an incredibly lame dude.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Corrode posted:

Sargon of Akkad is the handle, better known as Carl of Swindon. He's an incredibly lame dude.

Also has a failed attempt at running for office, which crashed and burned partially because tweeting "I wouldn't even rape you" is, in fact, not very palatable for voters.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

moths posted:

Probably because they're pushing a lot of Black RPG creators, and R. Talsorian is one of most famous black-owned publishers in the industry, so their titles are getting a lot of attention.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Also has a failed attempt at running for office, which crashed and burned partially because tweeting "I wouldn't even rape you" is, in fact, not very palatable for voters.

He got fish thrown at him when he went to speak in Truro.

When you're too racist even for Cornwall, that's saying something.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Whybird posted:

He got fish thrown at him when he went to speak in Truro.

When you're too racist even for Cornwall, that's saying something.

He also got milkshaked in Salisbury, which again, if you're too racist for Salisbury, what the hell man.

He also chose to run for UKIP after the only attraction of UKIP had formed another party. If he'd run for Brexit he'd probably be an MEP now and he's not really any less of a headbanger than anyone else in that party.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Can't remember which thread the CAH stuff was being posted in, but:

https://twitter.com/realnicocarter/status/1270153497053364224
https://twitter.com/realnicocarter/status/1270153500064956416

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
e: nm

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 22, 2020

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
The Gamescience dice guy sure is, uhhh ... yeah.

https://twitter.com/dufrau/status/1272279632205819905

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

taichara posted:

The Gamescience dice guy sure is, uhhh ... yeah.

https://twitter.com/dufrau/status/1272279632205819905

No, not Lou Zocchi, don't let Lou Zocchi be a chud...
[reads email]
Oh good...
Wait...
What the gently caress did I just read?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

moths posted:

If Lou Zocchi turns out to be an escaped nazi I am through with this hobby.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

8one6 posted:

What the gently caress did I just read?

He's old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That's signed James Means, not Lou Zocchi. I kind of assume Lou Zocchi doesn't know how to operate email.