Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Good listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Bored As gently caress posted:

I totally agree with you - the expansion and proliferation of right wing militias and/or white supremacist groups during the Obama years was unprecedented, and it's only continued after Trump got in office.

What's missing from the discussion is that it seems that at least some of these boogaloo bois don't seem to share white supremacist views - some even seem to lean more heavily into the libertarian side, and sympathize with BLM and such. It's weird.

Robert Evans and Bellingcat did a great article on them the other day. It was a fantastic read and very informative, because I had assumed that all the boogaloo bois are racist and hardcore Republicans, and while most are, there seems to also be a more "secular" group of boogaloo bois, according to the article.
https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2020/05/27/the-boogaloo-movement-is-not-what-you-think/

I'm not trying to show my rear end here but i was a different man nearly 10 years ago. I was isolated, had years of trauma and abuse, unmanaged ADHD ruining my life. But I did have a hobby I genuinely enjoyed and was helping me professionally; shooting! And for a short dark while, the only social circle i had for a while was those -chan based IRC chat rooms.

They're really all over the place; gay, black, trans, etc. but a lot of bigoted poo poo gets internalized; "I can't be a fascist, my boyfriends an anarchist!" is another weird argument I had with one such member. I remember buying food for two of those guys because they didn't have jobs and were living out of their cars and poo poo.

So while bellingcat's assessment is very accurate, I feel that it still glosses over how vulnerable these people actually are to having their anxieties played off of by internet predators.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

RIP Meltdown May, but Jet Fuel June lives on.

https://twitter.com/SAMOYEDCORE/status/1268494238292914179

Far from complete, but it is getting the highlights.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Racist Torrance lady apparently does this poo poo all the time!

https://twitter.com/kayceelyn_a/status/1270898742330191872

I have LEO extended family in torrance lmao

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/PplsCityCouncil/status/1271323138203152385

no words

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
^^^^ gently caress

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm not trying to show my rear end here but i was a different man nearly 10 years ago. I was isolated, had years of trauma and abuse, unmanaged ADHD ruining my life. But I did have a hobby I genuinely enjoyed and was helping me professionally; shooting! And for a short dark while, the only social circle i had for a while was those -chan based IRC chat rooms.

They're really all over the place; gay, black, trans, etc. but a lot of bigoted poo poo gets internalized; "I can't be a fascist, my boyfriends an anarchist!" is another weird argument I had with one such member. I remember buying food for two of those guys because they didn't have jobs and were living out of their cars and poo poo.

So while bellingcat's assessment is very accurate, I feel that it still glosses over how vulnerable these people actually are to having their anxieties played off of by internet predators.

Whatever you went through, I'm really sorry you endured it. I hope you're doing better now.

Honestly, I have to admit something similar. Probably close to 15-20 (who can remember?) years ago, I used to meet up with a bunch of guys I met at the range, some of who ended up being friends of friends. Didn't have a huge group of friends, and none of my other friends were into guns, so I was really happy to meet some new people. We'd go to the range and competitions about once a month. We'd travel and take firearms classes together, go to MG shoots, etc. I really fell into the group. I loved the competitions, classes, etc but most of all I loved the camaraderie.

They introduced me to Instagram, and almost all of them leaned very libertarian. Some were what I'd now call CHUDS, but things werent as polarized then, you know? They introduced me to Appleseed, which was very founding father worshiping, but very history (and not current politics) and marksmanship oriented. I loved it. At the time I considered myself a left leaning liberal (I now consider myself a leftist). So we'd sometimes have political arguments, but we'd all be friends afterwards.

Then Obama got elected, and a few of these people I once thought were good and decent (even if they had wildly different views in politics) , bought into all the conspiracy theory bullshit. Some even started posting proto boogaloo bullshit, or began posting III% and Oathkeeper poo poo. I almost bought into it for a second, until I read up on the groups. Like, in theory, yes, I agree with the Oathkeepers' beliefs that cops and military members should not follow unconstitutional or illegal orders. Yeah, pretty good idea.

However, a lot of these people were itching for a fight, or at least they were behind a keyboard. A lot of the Oathkeeper poo poo I saw was far right extremism, racism, and bigotry. And for all their talk about loving small government, I found all of it so hypocritical, when some of them had no problems with the Patriot Act or OIF, free speech zones, etc, yet once a black man became POTUS, "oh god the tyranny." Someone not as politically or historically active/aware might have bought into that poo poo. Someone bigoted or racist might have been swept into the movement, too.

So I fell out of touch with those friends because I couldn't associate with people who supported the kind of far right extremist ideas a lot of III% people and Oathkeepers were posting. Lost quite a few friends because of that. I really wish the SRA was a thing back then, because that would've been right up my alley.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 12, 2020

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

If this is a hate crime this is beyond hosed. They need to be looking through hate groups right now, because I bet someone will be chatting about it.

https://avnewscrew.com/f/person-found-hanging-from-a-tree-at-poncitlan-square

http://theavtimes.com/2020/06/11/suspected-suicide-body-found-hanging-from-tree-in-poncitlan-square-palmdale-issues-statement/

quote:

PALMDALE – The body of a man in his 20s was found hanging from a tree Wednesday near Palmdale City Hall, authorities said.
The body was found around 4 a.m. Wednesday, June 10, with a rope around the man’s neck, hanging from a tree in Poncitlan Square, according to Lt. Brandon Dean of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s Homicide Bureau.

All indicators point to a suicide, Dean said, but investigators are waiting for full autopsy results and information from the man’s next of kin regarding past issues with mental illness.

Palmdale City officials released a statement Thursday, extending “sincere condolences and sympathies to the family and friends of the individual who tragically passed away in Palmdale… Our thoughts and prayers are with them.”

“Sadly, it is not the first such incident since the COVID-19 pandemic began,” city officials said in the statement.

“Many people are suffering extreme mental anguish and the city wants everyone to know that help is available,” said City Manager JJ Murphy. “There are local resources such as Mental Health America of Los Angeles, AV Vet Center, and the Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health.”

For the past few months, the City of Palmdale has partnered with local mental health experts to host a virtual Mental Health Town Hall every other Monday. It helps residents gain valuable tools to cope with mental health concerns and lean on the peer support of those with knowledge and experience in the field.

The next session will take place Monday, June 15, at 10 a.m. To participate, send an email to info@cityofpalmale.org and note “Mental Health Town Hall” in the subject line. City staff will then provide you with the meeting information and access code.

The County of Los Angeles also has mental health resources available on their website at https://dmh.lacounty.gov/

Those needing to talk to someone immediately regarding anxiety or depression should call the Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health 24-hour hotline at 800-854-7711, or text LA to 741741.

“The city remains committed to addressing mental health issues during these difficult times,” Murphy added. “We are in this together.”

Chilling correlation though:

https://abc7.com/education/palmdale-school-noose-photo-community-members-divided/5300349/

https://abc7.com/education/photo-shows-palmdale-teachers-smile-while-holding-noose/5293760/

quote:

PALMDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- A town hall meeting was held Tuesday regarding a controversial photo showing teachers at a Palmdale school holding a noose, smiling. Community members were divided in their opinions.

"What's a hangman's noose? What it is for and how are you going to explain that to a 9-year-old kid that back in the day that was used to hang black people and Hispanics?" asked Arturo Flores, a parent.

The photo in question showed four Summerwind Elementary School teachers holding a noose and smiling for the camera. Tuesday's town hall meeting included school officials, members of the community and parents.

The district said the photo was taken and distributed May 1 by the principal , Linda Brandts. The district is trying to reassure the community that they are investigating the incident and trying to figure out what was behind the act.

The district's special counsel put forth theories they're looking into.

"Just an expression of 'hang in there' if you will, we're getting close to the end, til summer," the special counsel said. This theory drew jeers from the crowd.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 12, 2020

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I needed some levity and holy poo poo Chappelle tied this poo poo from decades ago into his last piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo-ddYhXAZc

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Ah yes, hang in there. Just like those motivational cat posters that said hang in there! while the cat held a noose.

THAT NOT WHAT THAT MEANS YOU DICKHEADS AND YOU loving KNOW IT

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

I note they do not mention that the person found hanging from a tree was a black man.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Fallom posted:

Some interesting thoughts but the discussion doesn't attempt to explain "why the virus is spreading so unevenly", it just leaves that topic off with this:

I'm really curious about why there's so much weirdness going on with the spread. Even between Asian countries there's been a really wide range from countries having almost no issue with the virus to others having major problems.

It’s because places are lying about their numbers and doing everything to cover it up. Florida has thousands of unexplained excess pneumonia deaths this year, for example.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

It’s because places are lying about their numbers and doing everything to cover it up. Florida has thousands of unexplained excess pneumonia deaths this year, for example.

This isn't just a thing in the US, though. India apparently just announced that they expect 500k cases soon enough so maybe they were lying, too, after all.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Wasabi the J posted:

quote:

All indicators point to a suicide

no :wtf: big enough

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Wasabi the J posted:

I needed some levity and holy poo poo Chappelle tied this poo poo from decades ago into his last piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo-ddYhXAZc

lol I completely missed that.

JohnnyHardcore
Jan 15, 2008

Also from Palmdale, CA (last year)

http://theavtimes.com/2019/05/09/principal-and-teachers-placed-on-leave-over-controversial-photo-at-summerwind-elementary

e:fb and better too :(

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Fallom posted:

Some interesting thoughts but the discussion doesn't attempt to explain "why the virus is spreading so unevenly", it just leaves that topic off with this:

I'm really curious about why there's so much weirdness going on with the spread. Even between Asian countries there's been a really wide range from countries having almost no issue with the virus to others having major problems.
I was reading on Economic Times the other day that Vietnam claimed zero deaths with a population of nearly 100 million bordering China
TL;DR they credited the following
-As soon as China announced outbreak they got a committee together to start planning, even before WHO mentioned anything
-They quarantined people based on the risk of infection rather than whether they were displaying symptoms
-All testing was free and subsidized by the government
-Public health experts and epidemiologists led the execution
-Decentralized system meant they could bring care to the individuals, and wouldn't need to bring them to a provincial facility unless they needed urgent care.

Is there a possibility any numbers are swept beneath the carpet? Sure, but while I'm not a doctor and no more qualified than any of the dipshits giving their two cents a few months ago, this does seem like a pretty reasonable approach to me!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

has this been posted yet

https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/fop-chicago-officers-who-kneel-with-protesters-could-be-kicked-out-of-police-union

quote:

The new president of Chicago’s powerful police union has issued a stern warning to officers. He says any officers showing sympathy to police protesters while in uniform could be thrown out of the union.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Jesus Christ. gently caress him, and gently caress those NYPD PBA and SBA guys, too.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://twitter.com/jonathanoosting/status/1271469493605236738

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

There has to be something sexual that reinforces this kind of thinking right?

Because why else you would be this invested in supporting a false narrative?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BigDave posted:

It really seems like it’s full on two-year-old “do the opposite of what mom and dad say” if mom and dad aren’t pubbies.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BigDave posted:

Women like bad boys right? Now this will land me a trophy wife 50 years my junior and if it doesn't, it's feminists fault!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
These people are hosed up

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Good.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Midjack posted:

It really seems like it’s full on two-year-old “do the opposite of what mom and dad say” if mom and dad aren’t pubbies.

Yeah but even kids catch on to that, this seems more pervasive.

If it was happening in a bedroom we would call it a self-harm fetish.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

This is that Karl Manke guy who got his barber license revoked last month for defying stay-at-home orders and had his "Operation Haircut".

There is a rally planned for tonight to "burn all of the taxpayer funded applications, illegally sent to us from SOS Benson," but I couldn't find any reference to a dumpster, sadly ... The event will feature music by “Old Dudes ROCK.”

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

I'm perfectly fine with this.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
CHP ruled another roadside hanging a suicide in January

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The thing is, they state they're "acquiring additional ballots" for the dumpster ceremony. They're probably driving around to people's houses and jacking ballots out of their mailboxes. Highly illegal btw to do that.

https://twitter.com/Moreskyplease/status/1271484921010368513?s=20

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I don’t need an explanation other than they bat poo poo crazy.

How do they equate more people voting without taking a day off work or exposing themselves to covid with a loss of liberty?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The wrong people voting is taking away the power of their vote

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/MilesKlee/status/1271484698888269824?s=20

Britain had the goose from Untitled Goose Game and now New Zealand has a duck

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Ziggy still in jail

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Ziggy still in jail

:lol:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Bell_ posted:

I was reading on Economic Times the other day that Vietnam claimed zero deaths with a population of nearly 100 million bordering China
TL;DR they credited the following
-As soon as China announced outbreak they got a committee together to start planning, even before WHO mentioned anything
-They quarantined people based on the risk of infection rather than whether they were displaying symptoms
-All testing was free and subsidized by the government
-Public health experts and epidemiologists led the execution
-Decentralized system meant they could bring care to the individuals, and wouldn't need to bring them to a provincial facility unless they needed urgent care.

Is there a possibility any numbers are swept beneath the carpet? Sure, but while I'm not a doctor and no more qualified than any of the dipshits giving their two cents a few months ago, this does seem like a pretty reasonable approach to me!

Of course it's possible but from all accounts I've seen, they have handled it much better. My buddy has been there with his wife's family for the last 6 months or so and is reluctant to return to the US at this point. It's still a communist government though so there are some tradeoffs.

Asian governments generally take pandemics a little more seriously than the west since they have encountered them more recently.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CHP ruled a different roadside hanging a suicide in January, as well.

The Sacramento hanging victim was dating a woman who was killed earlier. Sadly, and not less horrifying, that it may have been a murder/suicide.

The Palmdale incident is still very suspect.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

Ziggy still in jail

The Jemele Hill/Van Lathan Wire Recap Podcast is excellent "Go for a walk" material. I'm not about to watch The Wire during all of this, but it hits the high notes.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Are there any good write ups about the Seattle autonomous zone?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

PeterCat posted:

Are there any good write ups about the Seattle autonomous zone?

It kicks rear end

eta: this write up from yesterday comes from The Stranger, Seattle's alternative newspaper whose offices are at 11th and Pine. They've had people there since the protests started and have probably one of the best running accounts of the CHAZ

UP THE BUM NO BABY fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
This story about a 26-year old woman whose heart stopped three times after being hit by flashbangs from the police is incredible

quote:

“The cops can shoot me in the heart and cause it to stop, but it's not ever going to stop for this protest.”

This woman is inspiring as all hell

SPD twitter just after nearly killing a woman posted:

12:18 a.m. The officers are taking heavy projectiles, coming from the crowd. A male, armed with a gun is in the intersection of 11th and Pine ST. CS gas has been authorized. In the interest of public and life safety, leave the area now.

The male, armed with a gun, was the rear end in a top hat that attacked the crowd several hours earlier and was being held in the precinct