Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Guavanaut posted:

In the context of the 2020s most of the people who are mad about it just thought it was funny that the bad words were in a scene, and seem to have missed the point why.

Also some white people reeeeally want to be able to say those words, like really want to, to the point of obsession, not even necessarily as directed slurs but presumably for the perverse transgressive thrill of it, and get super angry when they're told "no", especially when black people are allowed to say them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

The Fawlty Towers episode also has a subplot of Sybil being in Hospital and the Doctor is black and yeah, more Racism.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Prince John posted:

People are really over-analysing Harry Potter in their haste to gotcha JK Rowling over the last few days ITT.

I mean, I don't even care about Harry Potter, but it's not a phrenology hat - it doesn't measure skulls. It looks inside people's heads at their thoughts and contains the intelligence of the four House founders who are making the decision about who fits best.

A quick google reveals the thought process she had for creating it:

The involvement of a skull in the process is entirely incidental.

Who cares?

"I don't even care about Harry Potter, but here's my TED talk about the mechanism of the sorting hat", very convincing

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jun 12, 2020

haakman
May 5, 2011
Bojo... expressed opinions unsuitable to us today?

Like calling my family picanninies? Watermelon smiles? Keeeeyunt.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The Sun has form for giving domestic abusers a platform. The Editor gave Rebekah Brooks a column to explain how she totally didn't do the things that her ex-partner was accusing her of. The Editor in question being Rebekah Brooks herself.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I made the Phrenology Hat joke after someone made another joke about the hat being an old mad racist. I wasn't seriously suggesting that Rowling intended the hat to be a stand-in for a set of calipers.

With that said, death of the author, etc., and the concept of "sorting" kids by brain scan is loving weird and problematic and pretty relevant to Rowling's recent online shithousing, and realising that to be the case doesn't require any special, obsessive exegesis imo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

somehow the "statues are literally the only thing that teaches about history and definitely don't glorify their subjects, apart from the Churchill one which does glorify him because he's great" canard is even more offensive coming from a guy who could, idk, make sure all these things are taught in schools so we don't have to have laudatory statues of slave owners to remind us that they existed

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/apr/18/britain-destroyed-records-colonial-crimes

Wachter posted:

Also some white people reeeeally want to be able to say those words, like really want to, to the point of obsession, not even necessarily as directed slurs but presumably for the perverse transgressive thrill of it, and get super angry when they're told "no", especially when black people are allowed to say them
Specifically they want to be able to say them without being called racist, which is actually the most harmful word.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just out of curiosity: do we have to wait for the racists to be made into statues before we throw them into the harbour?

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Just catching up with the thread, i in no way support the sun over that front page. It's disgusting on many levels not least the fact it will be retraumatising a bunch of abuse victims for little more than ammunition in this bloodsport they're running with trying to be the frontline dispatch to the culture war.

And god knows after the last few days I owe Rowling nothing but I'm also really sad that they've done that to her. Nobody, no matter how we feel about them, deserves that kind of treatment.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Jedit posted:

Just out of curiosity: do we have to wait for the racists to be made into statues before we throw them into the harbour?

Someone needs to hurry up and invent carbonite freezing and then we can really streamline the process

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Aside from the obvious stuidity of the erasing history argument, I loving hate the bullshit moral relativism of 'oh well everyone was a rascist imperialist shithead back then, please don't judge the man i continue to idolise for his life's work'

There have always contempoary criticisms of lovely colonialist actions, mainly originating from the people being hurt by said actions, so it's not like shitheads like Colston and Churchill never had to consider the fact that their actions were hurting and killing thousands of people. They just didn't give a poo poo.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Isomermaid posted:

Just catching up with the thread, i in no way support the sun over that front page. It's disgusting on many levels not least the fact it will be retraumatising a bunch of abuse victims for little more than ammunition in this bloodsport they're running with trying to be the frontline dispatch to the culture war.

And god knows after the last few days I owe Rowling nothing but I'm also really sad that they've done that to her. Nobody, no matter how we feel about them, deserves that kind of treatment.

Yeah I think this is the thing, nobody in this thread holds any love for Rowling because she's a horrible person who's actively using her celeb status to impact the lives of trans people, but abuse is abuse is abuse, and it's unacceptable always.

The fact that the Sun can get away with spotlighting abusers like that is actually pretty hosed up though, and I hope Rowling lawyers up and goes at them for it.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

JustaDamnFool posted:

mainly originating from the people being hurt by said actions
I think the people making these arguments just don't give a poo poo about what those people thought. For some reason :thunk:

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

The Perfect Element posted:

Feeling a bit depressed this morning about the kind of world my daughter's going to inherit when she's older (this may or may not be related to the fact I drunk way too much Talisker last night).

Brexit, the Tories, Covid, global warming, rise of fascism in Europe and the US, none of it feels positive. Which leads me to ask the thread: does anyone here have an optimistic vision of the future? I have faith in people's attitudes to each other becoming more progressive - so reduction of racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia (is that a word?) etc. - but otherwise, things feel a bit bleak.

I swing between feeling like that and feeling pretty loving good all things considered. On an international level, infant mortality is getting better and on an upward trend, as is poverty, as is access to water, education and justice. Diseases such as HIV, tuberculosis and others are on the decline. The shift of economic power is becoming less American-centric and more distributed to countries across the world.

I think things can seem a bit bleaker for us in the constant stream of bad news lasered into our eyes, but its much better to be born in a developing country now than it has been for thousands of years.

The energy and direction that protests have been taken recently have also been invigorating. I feel for the last 5 years or so its almost felt inevitable that things are just getting worse and worse, but from whats happening in Minneapolis with police reforms to finally toppling a statue that people have been fighting decades to do - it shows that people still have power. Although each of us may feel alone and sort of helpless in the face of fascism, together we can still make a difference and it doesnt really matter what the media or politicians or authority says as everyone has become disillusioned with it. We can keep the momentum going and change is coming.

But also look after yourself. A week off the forums and any news was very healthy for me.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just found out Tara Reid and Jedward have a close relationship. 2020 is wild.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A triptych, title "A Day's Work":

https://twitter.com/pfoa_uk/status/1270400989883924484

first tweet taken down :laugh:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lol like "already circulating" is a defence

"it was being passed around in alt-right circles as part of a smear campaign, where we saw it and then reposted it uncritically in a way clearly intended to perpetuate the smear, but it's ok because we didn't actually compile it"

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Guavanaut posted:

first tweet taken down :laugh:
https://twitter.com/pfoa_uk/status/1269976683173601282

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/dril/status/1270787621749309440

:eyepop:

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Despite the obvious fuckup, the tone of that image appears to be that it's fine to beat up coppers?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
aw, I couldn't see it and assumed they'd the good sense to take it down, seems they're continuing to go with 'not owned'

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Wachter posted:

Despite the obvious fuckup, the tone of that image appears to be that it's fine to beat up coppers?

If you're a horse or a traffic light, sure

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

all in a day's work
\

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Wachter posted:

I think it's meant to evoke sympathy - i.e. the police are risking themselves against those eeeevil brutal protestors in order to Protect Your Interests.

But it does just make them seem kind of incompetent to me given how many facial injuries have occurred to people wearing full face riot helmets.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

So we're a month on from "Stay Alert" and almost 2 weeks from schools reopening. Daily new coronavirus cases are still trending downwards. Have we dodged a bullet? Or is the worst to come a fortnight away with the possible reopening of shops on Monday?

thespaceinvader posted:

I think it's meant to evoke sympathy - i.e. the police are risking themselves against those eeeevil brutal protestors in order to Protect Your Interests.

But it does just make them seem kind of incompetent to me given how many facial injuries have occurred to people wearing full face riot helmets.

That and the fact that 33% of the depicted injuries are self-inflicted

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Generally I've heard "X is all in a day's work" used to mean "X is hard but I'm OK with it"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

all in a day's work
\

I threw a yogurt in the air, I pushed over a shopping trolley
\

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

XMNN posted:

I was going to blame google translate and me being too lazy to try to transliterate it myself, but it looks like actual greeks are to blame (as always)

https://el.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CE%A4%CE%B6%CE%AD%CF%81%CE%B5%CE%BC%CE%B9_%CE%9A%CF%8C%CF%81%CE%BC%CF%80%CE%B9%CE%BD

I wonder why beta isn't a better transliteration?

yeah mp is how b is written a lot in greek

beta is pronounced as a v iirc, which is common, a lot of languages b is pronounced v

so like taverna is spelt with a b as taberna

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Tarnop posted:

So we're a month on from "Stay Alert" and almost 2 weeks from schools reopening. Daily new coronavirus cases are still trending downwards. Have we dodged a bullet? Or is the worst to come a fortnight away with the possible reopening of shops on Monday?

cases are meaningless, deaths are the only decent indicator and they lag from anywhere up to 8 weeks

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

haakman posted:

Bojo... expressed opinions unsuitable to us today?

Like calling my family picanninies? Watermelon smiles? Keeeeyunt.
no actually, that's cool and good:

quote:

The spokesman also made plain that while Johnson had referred to Churchill’s “unacceptable” opinions, the PM had no plans to apologise for his own previous racially charged comments, such as describing veiled Muslim women as “letterboxes” and “bankrobbers”, and writing about African people’s “watermelon smiles”.

Asked if Johnson would apologise, the spokesman said: “These issues were all addressed during the election campaign last year.” Asked if the prime minister still believed it was correct to “speak frankly” in such ways, the spokesman said: “Yes”.
Starting to think the PM may be a bad person!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tarnop posted:

Have we dodged a bullet? Or is the worst to come a fortnight away with the possible reopening of shops on Monday?
There's going to be a second wave. Either in winter or after lockdown eases.

Communist Thoughts posted:

beta is pronounced as a v iirc, which is common, a lot of languages b is pronounced v
As opposed to Russian where it just looks like that. Especially to lazy cartoonists writing Яussiaи.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Apraxin posted:

no actually, that's cool and good:

Starting to think the PM may be a bad person!

yeah hes an outspoken racist thats why hes popular in the UK

you know what they say, the best way to fight racism is with a technocratic spook with a hairdo

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

epic

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

you know what they say, the best way to fight racism is with a technocratic spook with a hairdo

But Rory Stewart is nowhere to be found?!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fighting fire with fire makes for good artillerymen and terrible firefighters.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

cases are meaningless, deaths are the only decent indicator and they lag from anywhere up to 8 weeks

We'll start to see increased hospital admissions before then, presumably?

Lots of US states are seeing spikes in cases 2 weeks after reopening. Is their testing situation markedly better than ours? I'd have thought they'd be as keen as our lot to use limitations on testing to manipulate case figures if they could.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

bee best

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Tarnop posted:

That and the fact that 33% of the depicted injuries are self-inflicted

The problem is disease modelling is more complicated than a spike two weeks after reopening.

Lets say we start with 100 people who are infected re-entering the population. 10% of the population have had COVID-19 at this stage so lets hugely simplify the numbers and say that there is a two week period for people to show symptoms and the number of infected double every 3 days. No action is taken during this time to slow stuff down.
This is a massive oversimplification by the way.

Day 1: 100 infected/0 detected
Day 4: 200 infected/0 detected
Day 7: 400 infected/0 detected
Day 11: 800 infected/0 detected
Day 14: 1,600 infected/100 detected
Day 17: 3,200 infected/200 detected
Day 21: 6,400 infected/400 detected
Day 24: 12,800 infected/800 detected
Day 27: 25,600 infected/1,600 detected
Day 30: 51,200 infected/3,200 detected
Day 33: 102,400 infected/6,400 detected
Day 36: 204,800 infected/12,800 detected
Day 39: 409,600 infected/25,600 detected
Day 42: 819,200 infected/51,200 detected
Day 45: 1,638,400 infected/102,400 detected

So things will look fine for weeks if we had it nearly under control, the problem is those numbers start to creep back up and the potentially long asymptomatic time means you are actually way worse off than you currently appear. Look at the difference in numbers of infected in engaging controls on day 27 vs Day 33.

The 24 hour news cycle is extremely bad at explaining this, because its a story that occurs over weeks, not day to day.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/1270480343506845696

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

A good explanation, thank you!