Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goons Are Gifts

Robot Made of Meat posted:

OK, GAG.

Friend of all, mod to many, and explainer of ants. I have a query regarding the latter.

I live out in the country, and therefore have a large, country style mailbox just off the road. Nothing interesting or new here.

BUT! In the last two years, it seems that my mailbox has been overtaken by ants. Hundreds. Ants, eggs, and . . umm. That's it. No dirt, no sand, nothing but ants and eggs.

So, why? Why do ants want to live in a metal box on a post? There's no sand or dirt or food or water. It's a metal box on a post. I'll try to get pictures, but come on! It's a metal box on a post. Why do these ants want to invade it? Please to be explaining!

Oh that's so cool, the guys wanna go on a trip!!

If you see ant eggs they definitely live in there, which would make sense actually! Depending on the species, ants are not picky with their nests. Inside the box humidity is probably relatively high, it is dark and safe and if they placed the breeding chamber outside of the usual spot where mail falls on, there is no danger for them. They do not need sand or soil or food in the nest, not even water if the humidity is high enough or gets high enough during rain that it either flows in via a few drops or high humidity makes the water condense on the metal, so they can drink that. Even if it's not wet enough for that, they can just get water elsewhete and carry it via their social stomach to the nest and nurture the babies and the queen and the home worker ants that never leave the nest.
The fact that it's on a post is even better. They're elevated, so assuming the box is secure, they're safe from flooding during rainfall and also they're safe from predators. Insects wouldn't crawl up a post to enter an ant nest, bigger animals that could eat them like hedgehogs or birds can't reach them in the box, so they're safe.

It's a perfect spot! And they're very smart to use it accordingly, although I am worried about those who take the mail out, I'd assume they are swarming with ants all the time. Ants are big readers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Moltres

Come! We must fly!

Goons Are Great posted:

Woah so many new posts and new posters! Hello gullnado! I fell asleep last night in the middle of a video game and woke up to see I won the match, that's how it's supposed to work

It happens.

nut

rise and post

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

nut posted:

rise and post

it's been a long nights postin over here

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

take the moon

by sebmojo
lol i ..... Slept well

that's so weird

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

nut

owlhawk911 posted:

it's been a long nights postin over here

rest ur head, fellow soldier and post

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

nut posted:

rest ur head, fellow soldier and post

i can rest easy knowing you are here to keep byob chill

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

nut

owlhawk911 posted:

i can rest easy knowing you are here to keep byob chill

:canada:

nut

is it possible to catch a probe while remaining entirely within the rules could I obey too well could I post too much am I getting closer to the real purpose of this place are you scared yet

Goons Are Gifts

P-probes aren't real though, right? There's no such thing like not being able to post... right? :ohdear:

Heather Papps

hello friend

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

we decided on a goat and we got them and we like them they are good and chill goats

this makes me smile

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Heather Papps

hello friend

Goons Are Great posted:

P-probes aren't real though, right? There's no such thing like not being able to post... right? :ohdear:

me being able to probe posters is giving a frying pan to a man who wants to hatch the eggs into beautiful joke birds. i had a fun idea for probe thread last night though so imma workshop it right now: it's probe in the dark. post in the thread with a simple image and i'll cut a stencil and take a pic on my glowboard of it. if people want a specific combination of words to go alongside they can also request it but if not i write a haiku or somtehing about it.
then i guess i probe them with that image/words as reason and wow is there anything i can't overthink?!?!?

oh yeah, green macintosh to you all!

Goons Are Gifts

I'd love that tbh

Queen-Of-Hearts

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Guten mango, friends. I've missed you. I made pancakes from scratch for breakfast.

:h: sig by Prof. Crocodile:h:
:byodame:BYOB spells: Mutually Assured Kindness:byodame:

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Can you imagine a world without librarians????

biosterous

Kief Richards posted:

Can you imagine a world without librarians????

no, thankfully!

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Heather Papps

hello friend

i tried, and thanks to libraries and books my imagination is p strong but still failed

Tipps

party in the front

business in the back

Goons Are Great posted:

social stomach.

This was a good post and imma let you finish but lol at social stomach.

take the moon

by sebmojo
im informed you cant just donate hair whenevs and its a yearly thing or w/e

makes my mind up i guess i do kind of want to get something sci-fi again

thanx for reading

also lol

im just a stomach hanging out w/ other stomachs

----------------

take the moon

by sebmojo
kief i was thinking about becoming a lib & going to lib school but liiiiike i got a job and dont feel like going to school and having a job and the job honestly seems comfier

u keep reminding me of what im giving up lol

----------------

Heather Papps

hello friend

anyone who is particular about their book organization and preservation has the soul of a librarian imho

take the moon

by sebmojo
*nervously eyes stack of cheap books next to happy science leaflets and escaflowne dvds* haha,,, yes, perfectly organized :)

----------------

City of Glompton

hi six hi tipps, hi byob

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Heather Papps

hello friend

a fun friday question! how do you all organize your books/dvds?

alphabetized by title or author or are you a color matcher? by genre?

SeaGoatSupreme
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Heather Papps posted:

Genre, then author. Series get grouped together as one even with different authors though, and they must be in chronological order according to the plot.

I'm glad you folks liked the tattoo, it was mah gurls first tattoo and she was a champ. I'm so proud of her.

nut

I organize my books by which were on the same shelf whenever I unpacked them

Goons Are Gifts

Tipps posted:

This was a good post and imma let you finish but lol at social stomach.

It's true, ants have a very social stomach that feeds the entire colony and goes drinking with its stomach friends and everything

Goons Are Gifts

Heather Papps posted:

First by their nature, like, fiction and nonfiction, then by genre. I have a horror shelf, a Sci fi shelf, a fantasy shelf, a general I dunno what it is but it's definitely fiction shelf, three theoretical philosophy shelves, two practical philosophy shelves, two biology shelves, a multi genre nonfiction shelf, a magazine shelf, a board game shelf, a vinyl shelf

My apartment is 80% shelves and I'm not even exaggerating here, I have by far more books than anything else I own combined

Tipps

party in the front

business in the back

Heather Papps posted:

Crammed wherever there is any room in the cheapest ikea bookshelf I could afford at the time I bought it 7 years ago.

Stooge

Heather Papps posted:

I ask the books how they want to be organised

alnilam

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

image some brown balls in front of an overdone background. oh yeah and the first place I really posted was the radiohead message board. it completely lacked any kind of moderation, but maintained a constant culture for several years before devolving into complete and utter madness. it still exists today, with the same three or four people continually posting their schizophrenic word salads.
you can even take a look: http://msgboard.radiohead.com/

holy lmao

ty manifisto

alnilam

junipa is on a friggin ROLL

ty manifisto

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

can we invite him to post here, i like the cut of his gib

Android Blues

cannot WAIT for dindins

Goons Are Gifts

Junipa is my spirit animal

nut

alnilam posted:

holy lmao

tag ur selves I am cheap rear end soft waffle

Tipps

party in the front

business in the back
My butt is so fresh and so clean clean

Queen-Of-Hearts

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Omg those summer sigs are incredible

:h: sig by Prof. Crocodile:h:
:byodame:BYOB spells: Mutually Assured Kindness:byodame:

Pahilla the Hun

Thinking about making a post

Think about it, make a post

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

I first started posting on AOL chat in 1995 and it's been downhill from there.

I vividly remember using up my 40 hours from a free disc but then they just kept showing up in the mailbox

i kept making new accounts just adding numbers to my handle i was up to like DinoElvis38 by the end of that summer

years later, i got a job at AOL Digital City and we found SA one day--i remember that vividly too--it was the children's book photoshop phriday

i even remember the one that got passed around the office and you could hear everyone laughing from their cube "Stay Away From Simon, He's Got the AIDS"

this was back when the internet was awesome and you could play Get Tiffany or Psychobabble with your friends. Audio Galaxy was in full effect, everyone rocked WinAMP and we had a harddrive on the office network with every song you could imagine.

so if you will all please get off my lawn i have some waxing nostalgic to do :zoid:

e: lol annnd i found it

Pahilla the Hun fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 12, 2020

thanks nesamdoom!!

pizzaz plarpin perfect! thanks Tebulot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

I only found SA through let’s plays. I’m not sure exactly which one but I would guess ResearchIndicate’s Trespasser LP. That’s where I started posting/making vids in an earlier SA life, then a jaunt in gbs where I first saw the posting of dog crash truther and followed them back here, reborn ever since