Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean, yeah, Diogenes gang 4 lyfe, original shitposter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

it's okay to make a statue of diogenes because he'd respect the insult

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Something something class traitors don't go to heaven...

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

it's true, cute and trustworthy cops are imaginary

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

Ministry of lovely Takes

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's a good thing i stopped finding dude funny once i passed 17, otherwise id be pretty bummed.
Too bad about Terry Gilliam though.

Just tell me Rowan Atkinson is okay man.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think he's a bit of a bellend in the old comedian sense but he mostly doesn't say much.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Anyone who had actually met Socrates would be first in line to tear down his statues. Dude was so widely reviled in Athens that they executed him just so he'd stop annoying people.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's a good thing i stopped finding dude funny once i passed 17, otherwise id be pretty bummed.

He's actually Mr Bean irl. It was a documentary not a comedy and people didn't realise.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Crowetron posted:

Anyone who had actually met Socrates would be first in line to tear down his statues. Dude was so widely reviled in Athens that they executed him just so he'd stop annoying people.

Are you saying that if he had an SA account he would never stop posting?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

seiferguy posted:

Are you saying that if he had an SA account he would never stop posting?

They'd need someone on the mod staff who's whole job was to ban his reregs.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
But to be clear we should definitely burn all ancient greek sites and replace them with enormous golden statues of Xerxes
Say what you will about the Persian Empire but slavery didnt seem to be a major thing with them at least. Plus, freeing the Jews, the Cyrus Cylinder, etc. We've been emulating the wrong ancients here.

Harry Dot Piss posted:

Their sons are carefully instructed from their fifth to their twentieth year, in three things alone---to ride, to draw the bow, and to speak the truth.

p.s. check out this dipshit.
https://twitter.com/andr_w_m/status/1271315007876165632?s=20

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Inceltown posted:

He's actually Mr Bean irl. It was a documentary not a comedy and people didn't realise.
TIL Rowan Atkinson is a real life angel sent down to earth by god.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

But to be clear we should definitely burn all ancient greek sites and replace them with enormous golden statues of Xerxes
Say what you will about the Persian Empire but

hrm

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

drat, here I was all for tearing down statues that have stood as a symbol of centuries of oppression of black people, until I realized that it would cost us our precious Socrates statues. That's just a price not worth paying.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Did Socrates defeat a body of water?????? DIDNT FUCKIN THINK SO

quote:

At the head of his armies, he left Sardis for the Hellespont and had two boat bridges placed across the strait. A storm destroyed them, and Xerxes had the sea whipped as punishment.
Afterwards the sea was calm as gently caress and the crossing succeeded.

(tho jokes aside that crossing of the hellespont is definitely one of the unsung classical achievements)

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

lol I love destroying actual history of foreign countries

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

ravenkult posted:

He IS English so...

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Speaking of showing respect for Greek culture, when is the British Museum going to return the Parthenon Marbles to Greece? Not to mention all the other cultural artifacts they're holding onto that should go back to the countries they were actually produced in.

Pththya-lyi has a new favorite as of 08:05 on Jun 12, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hey he was very clear that he loving loves statuary, he never said anything about letting the greeks have it.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Fister Roboto posted:

drat, here I was all for tearing down statues that have stood as a symbol of centuries of oppression of black people, until I realized that it would cost us our precious Socrates statues. That's just a price not worth paying.

How about a compromise

https://twitter.com/doguido/status/1270715940972314625

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

ravenkult posted:

Didn't Trump basically say this fairly recently? That it's a thing we definitely need to do.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I seem to recall that it was basically his plan for iran, to bomb all its cultural sites.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
An excerpt of his twitter thread from January 4th:

quote:

Iran has been nothing but problems for many years. Let this serve as a WARNING that if Iran strikes any Americans, or American assets, we have targeted 52 Iranian sites (representing the 52 American hostages taken by Iran many years ago), some at a very high level & important to Iran & the Iranian culture, and those targets, and Iran itself, WILL BE HIT VERY FAST AND VERY HARD. The USA wants no more threats!

It was pointed out that the targeting of cultural property is banned by the 1954 Hague convention and is discussed in the DOD’s laws of war manual.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Why do I get the feeling that this person has very strong feelings on Ghostbusters, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and The Last Jedi?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Not an idiot, but since they've been brought up, everyone should always remember this amazing review of the Paw Patrol movie

Paw Patrol: Mighty Pups: Cartoon canines in fascistic mission
Review: An apawlling attempt to normalise state-sponsored thuggery

quote:

During the 1970s in a series of lectures at the Collège de France, Michel Foucault outlined a “secret history of the police”, characterising a force that paid greater attention to regulating the marketplace than investigating and arresting criminals.

The central task of the police, according to classical Foucauldian analysis, has also been to thwart and foil the possibility of revolution, the possibility of transgressing the order of capital: “For the bourgeoisie the main danger against which it had to be protected, that which had to be avoided at all costs, was armed uprising, was the armed people, was workers taking to the streets in assault against the government.”

Paw Patrol: Mighty Pups, the first theatrical reiteration from the popular animated franchise, is the latest shadowy attempt to normalise state-sponsored thuggery.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I used to live near ish him and knew people that knew him. Apparently he's just very grumpy irl and doesn't like people much. I've been past his house but you'd never know, it has the biggest hedges imaginable all around.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
According to Spitting Image, Rowan Atkinson paying for his share of lunch and not being late is as rare as being served in Woolies after less than four weeks wait, a public swimming bath where they don’t piss in the pool, a guy who got a job straight after leaving school, and meeting a normal merman and a fairly modest German.

But you’ll never meet a nice South African.

(And that’s not very surprising, mun.)

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

TinTower posted:

According to Spitting Image, Rowan Atkinson paying for his share of lunch and not being late is as rare as being served in Woolies after less than four weeks wait, a public swimming bath where they don’t piss in the pool, a guy who got a job straight after leaving school, and meeting a normal merman and a fairly modest German.

nah they're fine

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

TinTower posted:

It wouldn’t be so bad if they weren’t so boering

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Atkinson came out with the usual right-wing free speech, when will censorship end poo poo defending Boris Johnson when he made racist jokes.

e: https://news.sky.com/story/rowan-atkinson-among-those-leaping-to-boris-johnsons-defence-over-burka-comments-11468114

He might have had a point if there was anything loving joke in there.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Found a TERF in my friend's facebook comments. I've never actually encountered one in the wild before. Using the same old tactics, too. I'm about to let her have it had to share because this isn't something I have ever had to respond to before.

"A penis free environment"

How would you even know who has a vagina and who doesn't in a women's restroom? Does she peek under the stalls?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Boomers will always, repeat, ALWAYS boom

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I’m terrified to follow whatever Michael Palin is up to today because I don’t think I can handle finding out he’s become a lovely person too. He was always my favorite.

Though I suspect Cleese has always been kind of a dick.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I believe he taught Latin at a prep school before he was a comedian so yeah he was definitely always a prick.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Michael Palin actually seems to be one of the kindest people on earth, from all the reading I have done he seems like a genuinely decent person.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

letthereberock posted:

I’m terrified to follow whatever Michael Palin is up to today because I don’t think I can handle finding out he’s become a lovely person too. He was always my favorite.

Though I suspect Cleese has always been kind of a dick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiTy1c5D3GU

Seems to be a good guy still?

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Ebola Roulette posted:

"A penis free environment"

How would you even know who has a vagina and who doesn't in a women's restroom? Does she peek under the stalls?

I'm already rubbing my hands in anticipation of the first cis woman with a slight mustache suing a terf for getting up to some Seinfeld-esque shenanigans while she's trying to take a poo poo.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's a weird kind of irony, in their quest to "protect" women's bathrooms they've effectively made it so you are more likely to be harassed by a cis-woman for trying to use the toilet. They are the biggest threat a woman has to deal with right now, because there's a ludicrously small chance that a man will be in that bathroom and a very small chance a transwoman will be in there, but you know there is always going to be a ciswoman in the toilet so you're never safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

BioEnchanted posted:

It's a weird kind of irony, in their quest to "protect" women's bathrooms they've effectively made it so you are more likely to be harassed by a cis-woman for trying to use the toilet. They are the biggest threat a woman has to deal with right now, because there's a ludicrously small chance that a man will be in that bathroom and a very small chance a transwoman will be in there, but you know there is always going to be a ciswoman in the toilet so you're never safe.

Especially since an estimated .6% of the US population are actually trans, so it's much more likely cis women are harassing other cis women for having a short haircut or wearing jeans or some other incredibly stupid poo poo