Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

ImpAtom posted:

Ah yes KotoR 1 a game with excellent dialog and a logical and well thought out exploration of good and evil.

At least I enjoyed playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Bonaventure posted:

you’re laughing at that, I’m laughing at this— https://twitter.com/jeffcannata/status/1271336663587811328?s=21 — this is a game that brings joy to everyone!
You have to post the last one, which seals the deal: https://twitter.com/jeffcannata/status/1271336666397999108

Modern video gaming: this brought me no joy, I hated it, I didn't have fun, 10/10

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Blink 8 out of 10 times if you are in danger

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
"Nothing else even comes close", eh...

That post earlier about going to liveleak isn't really a joke in my mind.

MoaM fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 12, 2020

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

The subreddit is melting down over the positive reviews, if you’re into that sort of thing

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

At least I enjoyed playing it.

It is okay for a game to be unpleasant. People fall over themselves to recommend LISA for example despite it being genuinely a depressing experience. Some folks will swear by Drakengard despite it being a game that hates you. In fact it got two sequels and two spinoffs all of which feature protagonists who could be classified as villains.

I am not saying TLOU 2 succeeds but "not fun" can be a good experience if done right.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Harlock posted:

You have to post the last one, which seals the deal: https://twitter.com/jeffcannata/status/1271336666397999108

Modern video gaming: this brought me no joy, I hated it, I didn't have fun, 10/10

"2 seasons of the darkest TV show you'll ever find"

confirmed: incest

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Starks posted:

The subreddit is melting down over the positive reviews, if you’re into that sort of thing

Excited for the release of their collective analysis of the shoulder width of every positive reviewer that conclusively proves that all games journos are cucked

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It is okay for a game to be unpleasant. People fall over themselves to recommend LISA for example despite it being genuinely a depressing experience. Some folks will swear by Drakengard despite it being a game that hates you. In fact it got two sequels and two spinoffs all of which feature protagonists who could be classified as villains.

I am not saying TLOU 2 succeeds but "not fun" can be a good experience if done right.
Drakengard has evil protagonists and dark themes but it is for the most part not deliberately unpleasant to play. I think there's a major distinction there.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Harlock posted:

Oh god. Reading this right after the Kotaku review is hilarious.
https://kotaku.com/the-last-of-us-part-ii-the-kotaku-review-1844006193

quote:

Late one night, I paused the game and asked myself aloud if the developers thought I was stupid, if they thought the existence of violence had just never occurred to me before.

"I was affected by it. Like no game before. I am in awe of it."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Drakengard has evil protagonists and dark themes but it is for the most part not deliberately unpleasant to play. I think there's a major distinction there.

It absolutely is. Both intentionally and unintentionally. The infamous Rhythm Final Boss which is awful to play and the ending that follows for example.

Also like you kill child soldiers and people begging for their life.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

lol if you think the writing in this piece of poo poo is going to get anywhere near drakengard

you're going to get the walking dead but flatter

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So you're saying we're going to have to flatten the dogs, too

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it's june 19, time for your dog flattening

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag_AFraxj-4

this but unironically and taken completely seriously

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Grapplejack posted:

lol if you think the writing in this piece of poo poo is going to get anywhere near drakengard

you're going to get the walking dead but flatter

TLOU writers don’t have the balls to have you team up with a pedophile, baby eating cannibal, and a genocidal racist to carry out your quest for revenge.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
There's an actual TV show for all this stuff in development so the ride isn't even halfway done.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Starks posted:

So is this thread, which I called out like...yesterday lmao

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
nobody in this thread is melting down as far as I can see?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bonaventure posted:

nobody in this thread is melting down as far as I can see?

There’s definitely a lot of “wow look how stupid this reviewer is who said it’s really good!” and that’s close enough for me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dewgy posted:

There’s definitely a lot of “wow look how stupid this reviewer is who said it’s really good!” and that’s close enough for me.

do you dispute that "it's so dark, like a...like a TV SHOW" is stupid

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Aw great now everyone’s gonna circle up talking about the reactions to the reactions to try and prove who’s mad, actually, and things are gonna stop being fun

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Dewgy posted:

Dewgy Houser MD

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dewgy posted:

Reality must look like a 24/7 Chernobyl by that metric

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
^ I’m a CSPAM regular buddy, that ain’t news to me.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Dewgy Houser MD

That’s actually where the name came from, yeah. Old high school nickname that stuck. :v:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Drakengard has evil protagonists and dark themes but it is for the most part not deliberately unpleasant to play.

hahahahahahahahaha

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

no it's true, i am absolutely melting down and even mad irl by laughing at a blue checkmark comparing a zombie shootman game to schindler's list. i will try to melt down less in the future

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bonaventure posted:

you’re laughing at that, I’m laughing at this— https://twitter.com/jeffcannata/status/1271336663587811328?s=21 — this is a game that brings joy to everyone!

Absolutely, profoundly in awe of The Last of Us 2

I wouldn't call it that different from John Wick, though -- it's dead dogs all the way down in both

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Chernobyl was one of the greatest tv show i have ever seen and the subject topic is insanely grim, they had a whole episode about the animal killing squad and even them didnt show dog killings in extreme detail. Mmmm i wonder why.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
:frogdunce: Ummm, aren't films and video-games automatically mediums that 'show' and don't 'tell'? :frogdunce:

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
https://twitter.com/Pizza_Suplex/status/1271474182317133826

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Zeta Acosta posted:

Chernobyl was one of the greatest tv show i have ever seen and the subject topic is insanely grim, they had a whole episode about the animal killing squad and even them didnt show dog killings in extreme detail. Mmmm i wonder why.

Lmao

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Hey guys, get this:

Neil SUCKmann!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ham posted:

How do people still think this is an actual thing? At best they're giving them a free game code for the review.

Didn't Bethesda punish reviewers back in 2016 by no longer letting them review their games until they're out due to bad receptions?

Can't imagine why an industry that literally relies on publishers drip feeding them information might possibly be accused of taking certain favours in exchange for better scores/access.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Bethesda blacklisted kotaku for leaking developments notes about fallout 4, i dont know about the review thingie

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

dogstile posted:

Didn't Bethesda punish reviewers back in 2016 by no longer letting them review their games until they're out due to bad receptions?

Can't imagine why an industry that literally relies on publishers drip feeding them information might possibly be accused of taking certain favours in exchange for better scores/access.

Don't take my word for it, there's several people in that industry talking about it earlier in the thread.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lid posted:

Oh hey its that poster who was banned for transphobia hi transphobe

oh theyre a rereg?

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD
Finally, white moderates will learn that killing is bad and will want to defund the police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

That forced violence we made you do is bad, you should feel bad. Did you ever think about how violence is bad? Anyhow, the best way to interact with the themes of Last of Us 2 is to not play.

My column: