Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

Comstar posted:

Has anyone got an an opinion on Duel Universe? https://www.dualthegame.com/en/

It sounds rather impossible - Millions of players, hundreds of space ships in combat, with Minecraft.

It reminds me of a certain other space mmo where you can "pledge"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Ostrava posted:

So there's a goon server? Go on...

I literally have no idea what last oasis is, i assume its a survival game?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Comstar posted:

Has anyone got an an opinion on Duel Universe? https://www.dualthegame.com/en/

It sounds rather impossible - Millions of players, hundreds of space ships in combat, with Minecraft.

i think i backed this on kickstarter for minimal amount or subscribed to newsletter or something.

i keep getting emails about them doing alpha tests but there's a super suspicious lack of any youtube gameplay vids lol

Breidr
Jan 9, 2016

Truga posted:

i think i backed this on kickstarter for minimal amount or subscribed to newsletter or something.

i keep getting emails about them doing alpha tests but there's a super suspicious lack of any youtube gameplay vids lol

Gameplay vids in 2020? The future is pre-rendered!

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
As long as we're shooting pixie dust into the pipe dream machine, I want a good modern pirate mmo a la Pirates of the Burning Sea, with updated graphics and avcom. I'd also like to see an MMO based on some sort of Warhammer franchise. I know we have the WAR private server, but it's plagued by the WOW-esque cartoon graphics bullshit, unfortunately. Oh, and a good Star Wars MMO. Then I can never leave my house, or my desk, again.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sea of Thieves is pretty good now but yeah it'd be cool to have a persistent version.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
OTOH, naval action is annoying precisely because it's a huge persistent world you need to sail around constantly instead of being a world of tanks deal :v:

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

Mr. Pickles posted:

I literally have no idea what last oasis is, i assume its a survival game?

It's like Eve, Mad Max, and Mount and Blade had a baby. It's in a persistent world with multiple maps/biomes that are all linked together, so if you really wanted to you could journey from US to Chinese servers on the same toon. Full loot pvp but your xp and learned recipes stay after death. You can claim a map and then automatically get a tax on all resources other players harvest. If you play solo it's very much a survival game, pirates will be your biggest threat. If you're in a good clan (i.e. play with goons) it's more strategic, territory control and large pvp battles with walkers that brings back memories of the glory days of Goon Swarm. Almost everything in the game is player crafted and there's trading stations if you're into that.

One of the big differentiators is that the gameworld is constantly burning and maps only last 10 days, and bases can be stored in walkers but there's penalties the bigger the size. Resource costs are super low for a survival game, so it encourages you to travel light and if you get wiped it's fast to rebuild (some of the more expensive ships aren't as quick to replace, but risk/reward etc.). You can also log your walkers in an untouchable desert between tiles and favorite up to five ships which then automatically preserves them as tiles burn, so you don't lose anything if you want to take a break for a while.

The devs are legit good and they seem to have some pride in their game and have a taken a hard look at what does and doesn't work in their competitors, and so far are capable of weeding through player feedback and implementing the right kinds of changes. It's already a great game and keeps getting better.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
That's an extremely tempting pitch, I might have to give it a shot

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

All I want from Dark Souls is a proper co-op mode, where instead of summoning people in for a short time, you all get to share a single game file and exist as actual players in one game instance. It would trivialise absolutely everything to have four people running around the world unlocking everything at once and massacring bosses in seconds, but that's exactly why I want it.

Nioh made this work and even came up with alternate rules that make it equally challenging

I NEED some kind of party mode from the next souls game, elden ring better have it pleaaaaase

Having to re-summon on every death is the only thing that keeps souls from being the perfect co-op experience

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Straight up, PSO2 is the only strictly fun MMO I’ve played in a while. Is it good? Hard to say. FFXIV is good but less fun, more of a spectacle. WoW isn’t good nor fun. KMMOs are uh something else.

I guess the idea is that the only good MMO is actually a little bit of all of them? And getting too deeply invested into any one of them is going to disappoint you.

Like MMO PvP? WAR and GW2. Like traditional hotbar pve content (dungeons/raids/etc)? FFXIV/WoW. Like really cool and spectacular raid fights and good story? FFXIV, less so GW2. Like fun combat? BDO, PSO2. Like eternal grinders? PSO2, BDO, WoW. Like world exploration? GW2, classic wow. Like pretty princess dress up? Basically every single MMO.

The only MMO that gets close to having everything is FFXIV for me, but I like the hotbar gameplay and the controller support for getting really faded before seeing some anime crystal poo poo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, pretty much. I also don't dislike hotbar combat at all, I'm just over it at this point. Like, if someone took ff14 encounter/dungeon team and stapled them to a good combat mmo it'd be the perfect pve thing, but it'll never happen because a big budget pve mmo has to be a wow clone, so until the impossible happens i'll stick with ff14 for raiding.

Likewise, wvw in gw2 is basically perfection, as far as large scale pvp goes. Nothing about it is mandatory, you don't lose months of investments when you lose ~the war~ like in eve-o because real life came up, and there's constant minute to minute action in a somewhat persistent map. Because let's face it, even in eve-o at the end of the day you're fighting for e-peen numbers, and that's what the wvw ladder is :v:

But they added a total of 1 map to wvw over its 8 year history. A thousand hours on the same 2-3 drat maps and even the best thing gets stale.

As far as pvp goes, I don't think I've ever had as much pvp fun as when I was playing the "small alliance of bad players vs big boys" game in eve for a month or two. We weren't very good at the game, and we were usually outnumbered in fights 3:1, sometimes even 10:1, but we weren't as bad as our enemies and we could log in any time and have poo poo to shoot with small gangs because enemies were everywhere around us. It was just fun.

But then I remember all the waiting for enemies to undock during the other 4 years of eve i played and I go "uhhh nah" and never resub. Like with pve, if someone could drop a real budget for gw2's wvw to make poo poo a bit more dynamic than "we've gone from 2 maps to 3 maps in an 8 year span", i'd probably play that a lot.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Two of the three upcoming "AAA" MMOs do not use tab targeting (hotbar) combat.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm not saying this isn't the future, but MMO's are inherently cohesive multiplayer community engines, and for you to implement core gameplay mechanics that involve segmenting literally anyone over 100 ping from playing at least on that server you are really shooting your self in the foot. WoW works so well because at a pretty fundamental level you can still play on 200-250 ping and still do somewhat okay.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i've played d&d online on ~200 ping for years, it played fine once you got used to it, much like quake 2 played fine on 56k once you got used to it. many eurogoons play gw2 on the US goon server and it plays fine. inability to make netcode that doesn't blow up under slightly higher ping isn't the same as action combat always being bad in high ping.

punk rebel ecks posted:

which ones?

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Ossipago posted:

It's like Eve, Mad Max, and Mount and Blade had a baby. It's in a persistent world with multiple maps/biomes that are all linked together, so if you really wanted to you could journey from US to Chinese servers on the same toon. Full loot pvp but your xp and learned recipes stay after death. You can claim a map and then automatically get a tax on all resources other players harvest. If you play solo it's very much a survival game, pirates will be your biggest threat. If you're in a good clan (i.e. play with goons) it's more strategic, territory control and large pvp battles with walkers that brings back memories of the glory days of Goon Swarm. Almost everything in the game is player crafted and there's trading stations if you're into that.

One of the big differentiators is that the gameworld is constantly burning and maps only last 10 days, and bases can be stored in walkers but there's penalties the bigger the size. Resource costs are super low for a survival game, so it encourages you to travel light and if you get wiped it's fast to rebuild (some of the more expensive ships aren't as quick to replace, but risk/reward etc.). You can also log your walkers in an untouchable desert between tiles and favorite up to five ships which then automatically preserves them as tiles burn, so you don't lose anything if you want to take a break for a while.

The devs are legit good and they seem to have some pride in their game and have a taken a hard look at what does and doesn't work in their competitors, and so far are capable of weeding through player feedback and implementing the right kinds of changes. It's already a great game and keeps getting better.

Sounds pretty bad. I did play Darkfall on both launches so I think I'm qualified for this, although I have to say it does sound pretty bad

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Truga posted:

i've played d&d online on ~200 ping for years, it played fine once you got used to it, much like quake 2 played fine on 56k once you got used to it. many eurogoons play gw2 on the US goon server and it plays fine. inability to make netcode that doesn't blow up under slightly higher ping isn't the same as action combat always being bad in high ping.

D&D is like auto-targeting though (it's a little different), I'm more referring to the free-form targeting in Black Desert or Wildstar where if you have over 100 ping you basically can't PvP and PVE with any movement becomes incredibly frustrating. There's a reason that games like Darkfall only had player bases from US or EU because the game was entirely unplayable by anyone outside of those areas. I played BDO/Wildstar, and you know at first when you're leveling up all is good, but as soon as you start trying to actually play the game at anymore than "Mob is standing in front of me, I will attack it" gameplay it starts to become incredibly noticeable. Hell, I even had to quit Albion because I couldn't aim spells because my ping was too high..

I guess it's like, is this new targeting actually the key to making a good new MMO? because I don't think it is. I genuinely think players care 10x more about the overarching mechanics of the game than how targeting/skill usage is presented. I don't know what an MMO's market it for players outside of the country but I imagine it's fairly high. Who actually knows for sure what the real stats are but If you asked me to guess what say WoW on release had for foreigners playing I would say upwards of 40% players are playing with 100+ ping if not more. Those players won't stick around if the game is unplayable for them.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

hobocrunch posted:

Hell, I even had to quit Albion because I couldn't aim spells because my ping was too high..

well at least you've got that going on for you which is nice

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Mr. Pickles posted:

well at least you've got that going on for you which is nice

Thanks.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

hobocrunch posted:

D&D is like auto-targeting though (it's a little different)

n-no? like, you *can* lock targets, but if you do this at high ping (i'm euro and there's only US DDO servers, so i'm the source here) and use long range poo poo you'll miss because they'll move out of the way by the time you fire if they're moving perpendicular, you do need to actually manually lead your enemies with fireballs and poo poo. but that poo poo takes like half an hour to become muscle memory, and then it's not a problem at all.

i played q2 on ~220 ping for years on a 33600 modem and i was playing on par with the top players in the region for a year or so, ping is *not* an excuse for why an action game plays like poo poo, incompetent developers are the reason.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Tab targeting is atrocious.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

Tab targeting is atrocious.
WoW is living proof that tab targeting is good when done well. The way combat actually works in WoW is great. It doesn't look the best animation wise due to deliberate tradeoffs, but it plays well and has great depth.

Other systems can be good or bad too, but it always comes down to implementation. Most "action combat" games have lovely combat that hinges on tricking people by looking or feeling fluid while the underlying combat system is a heap of garbage.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 12, 2020

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Truga posted:

which ones?

Blue Protocol and New World.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
new world is gonna be about as "AAA" as wild star if what i'm seeing from it so far is legit lmao

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

New World is a test bed for what works and what doesn't for the lord of the rings mmo

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Glenn Quebec posted:

New World is a test bed for what works and what doesn't for the lord of the rings mmo

Isnt there already a LotR MMO that is semi-successful? Do they just want one that has more graphixxx involved?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

frajaq posted:

Isnt there already a LotR MMO that is semi-successful? Do they just want one that has more graphixxx involved?

That's LOTRO and it's like 15 years old at this point.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

frajaq posted:

My impression was that LotRO was kind of in an Everquest-like state where there's still a dedicated group of people playing and it even gets the occasional new content but it's essentially "over".

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
There's about 99% chance it'll still be the semi-successful lotr mmo and the amazon thing a trainwreck.

Like, that new world game was supposed to be some kind of sandboxy open world game. Then they did some sort of alpha test, and then 2 months later they did a giant update video about how they changed their mind, and this is now a mostly pve grind with limited pvp areas or some poo poo. This happened *after* they already had people playing their game, it's going to be an amazing trainwreck, and their next mmo is also going to be a trainwreck because they have no idea what to do lmao.

If a single alpha test and some pushback from testers makes them do a complete 180, they're not going to survive post patch 1.1

The Moon Monster posted:

My impression was that LotRO was kind of in an Everquest-like state where there's still a dedicated group of people playing and it even gets the occasional new content but it's essentially "over".
Nah, it's not a bad game. It's niche, but the story is fun to follow, and while it looks very dated and there's not as much content as with an AAA mmo, the content is not bad at all, IMO, at least from what I've played.

It got mordor expansion, and it's probably the last expansion since the story's over now? Unless they start doing silmarillion/hobbit poo poo now :v:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

frajaq posted:

Outside of six or seven titles, every MMO has a super niche player base in the West. LOTRO has well under 100K people playing it.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

Truga posted:

It got mordor expansion, and it's probably the last expansion since the story's over now? Unless they start doing silmarillion/hobbit poo poo now :v:

There have been some smaller quest packs since then and another big xpac (Minas Morgul) came out this past fall. There's plenty of content from Tolkien's appendices and notes for them to keep this up for several more years.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Mr. Pickles posted:

Sounds pretty bad. I did play Darkfall on both launches so I think I'm qualified for this, although I have to say it does sound pretty bad

Is Darkfall any good? It sounds like a MMO fans dream but I hardly hear anything about it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Darkfall closed in 2012

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Truga posted:

Darkfall closed in 2012

Fans relaunched it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
didn't two separate people buy the rights to it and they both did their own versions of Darkfall, splitting the already tiny fanbase?

also they're going to show off New World on the PC gaming show soon, im sure its going to be groundbreaking :)

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

eonwe posted:

didn't two separate people buy the rights to it and they both did their own versions of Darkfall, splitting the already tiny fanbase?

Yes. It resulted in one of the two versions dying and now everyone is on the other version.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
wow that new world trailer was a thematic mess

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

bury this genre

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
I feel like sandbox MMOs need a strong IP to be at all successful. People played SWG because they could do whatever they wanted... In Star Wars. The deep lore in the background of everything is what carries the otherwise sparse game. This New Worlds game looks... vaguely interesting, but I'd stay interested for a week before moving on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I just want an MMO where gear isn't invalidated as quickly because more things are situationally useful. I'm thinking like, certain weapon types are better for certain monster types so you bash skellingtons with a mace but stab dragons with spears

edit: also low barrier to getting good gear except it looks bland if it's just like masterwork banded mail armor +2 or whatever

blatman fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jun 14, 2020