Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Tae posted:

Like maybe 10-20 minutes.

cool! I managed to eke my way through that fight with Shulk/Reyn/Riki, so I guess I'm doing okay for now.

I will say Dunban continues to perplex me. He just seems to like... not be able to dodge certain attacks, and then those attacks take 1/3 of his HP. I'm not sure if I should be using Sharla to heal him, or controlling someone with a heal ether just to keep him constantly topped up. I've got him in naked mode with both skills related to that unlocked, and his agility is 195 (higher than I can get him with armor + all the agility gems I got). I feel like I'm missing some tools that should be helping me stop attacks, but these aren't even like "see the future" attacks that I at least have advance warning of, just normal big boss attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

YggiDee posted:

You shouldn't have too many problems looking up guides, the seventh party member is almost exclusively referred to as 'Seven' for this exact reason.

I'm actually impressed to the extent that the community has avoided spoiling this for me. Like, I have been reading this thread for days and have only seen "Seven" to the extent that for a long time I though "Seven" was the actual name of the character.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

abraham linksys posted:

cool! I managed to eke my way through that fight with Shulk/Reyn/Riki, so I guess I'm doing okay for now.

I will say Dunban continues to perplex me. He just seems to like... not be able to dodge certain attacks, and then those attacks take 1/3 of his HP. I'm not sure if I should be using Sharla to heal him, or controlling someone with a heal ether just to keep him constantly topped up. I've got him in naked mode with both skills related to that unlocked, and his agility is 195 (higher than I can get him with armor + all the agility gems I got). I feel like I'm missing some tools that should be helping me stop attacks, but these aren't even like "see the future" attacks that I at least have advance warning of, just normal big boss attacks.

Is he getting hit with Ether based attacks? Ether attacks don't give a poo poo about your agility.

I have never personally liked the naked Dunban thing. Sure, his agility is sky high with that, but you're still sacrificing an awful lot of utility by losing out on all those gem slots (like having any ether defense at all). A couple things I could maybe recommend without knowing what in particular is ganking him:

Raise his HP. This gives you more of a buffer for whoever has a healing skill to keep him topped off
One of Dunban's Skill Trees gives him the ability to heal himself when he crits. Grab that, and give him gems that raise his crit rate, and link skills that do the same
Try giving him medium armor with his weight reduction skill (and link other skills that do the same), so he gets better defenses without sacrificing any agility.
You can also try to debuff the enemy hurting him with Riki's Behave, or similar.

You shouldn't have to resort to using Sharla.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Do you have the final huge agility buff for naked Dunban and Melias skill that makes him get 20% buffs to all his stats without gems?
I'm level 80 and still using naked Dunban, he's actually a shitload better than I remember if you lean right into it.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I just upgraded colony 6 to commerce 4 and got the Titan's Legacy II skins. Holy poo poo they look awesome, specially Reyn and Dunban (though in Dunban's case it's harder to pass him off as a dodge tank wearing a truck for armor).

Speaking of Seven, what shoes should they be using? I currently have the Swords one equipped and it looks sick af, dunno if it's optimal damage wise.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

abraham linksys posted:

Naked Dunban is better at dodging for a while compared to normal armor using Dunban, but he has a lot less ether defense(due to no armor) which leads to him getting rocked by certain attacks.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It depends on the build. Sword for Phys builds, Cannons for Ether Builds, and Shield drones function about the same as the Monado Shield and block the next Talent Art. Probably situational but they'll pull your rear end out of the fire.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

abraham linksys posted:

In the next town you reach make sure to do all sidequests. You'll get something that turns naked Dunban into god mode

a new Monado ability for Shulk that reduces a shiton of both physical and ether damage

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

YggiDee posted:

It depends on the build. Sword for Phys builds, Cannons for Ether Builds, and Shield drones function about the same as the Monado Shield and block the next Talent Art. Probably situational but they'll pull your rear end out of the fire.

How does an ether build on Seven even work? She's only got the two ether attacks on giant cooldowns, and since she's got such an amazing autoattack it's hard to imagine losing damage on that would be worth it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm going to be honest, I don't bother with an ether build with seven. It's all offense at all times.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Seven with double attack/haste gems is a loving beast. They have some really good arts iirc although I want to say their talent art is based on what drones you have equipped? I think that can be ether based. And doing a ton of quick basic attacks builds it up quickly.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

After watching that Reyn video I think my new party is gonna be Reyn/Riki/Dunban

(Just got Riki)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Use everyone imo

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

How does an ether build on Seven even work? She's only got the two ether attacks on giant cooldowns, and since she's got such an amazing autoattack it's hard to imagine losing damage on that would be worth it.

YggiDee posted:

I'm going to be honest, I don't bother with an ether build with seven. It's all offense at all times.

Chain attacks.
Her ether (plus the cannon talent art) are AoE fuckoff bonanza and she builds gauge FAST.
Who cares about cooldowns, when you use them every 20 secs anyways.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Andrast posted:

Use everyone imo

Yea you should use everyone if only to build up relationships.

It sometimes blows my mind that the heart to hearts have four outcomes, you're missing out if you don't try and watch as many as possible.

Although I swear in the original you could hold over them on the map and it'd tell you who they were for and it doesn't now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Success! Unlocked flying ability for Skells. :hellyeah:

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Taear posted:

Although I swear in the original you could hold over them on the map and it'd tell you who they were for and it doesn't now.

I don't remember how it was in the original, but you can check out that information in main menu>collectables>Heart-to-hearts.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

TurnipFritter posted:

A lot of the Restricted Time Attacks seem to come down to luck, I tore through that one with an S rank on my first try compared to the embarrassing number of attempts Dunban and Riki's took. When Wave 2 starts, I think I summoned two Thunders and a Flare, then tossed out Shadow Stitch and Discharge Flare when the enemies started to clump up together.

lezard_valeth posted:

Yeah this. I used Shadow Stitch to bind wave 2 in place while I murdered them with Mind Blast, Flare and Wind Burst. Took 2 attempts cause first time I got brutally murdered.

Reporting back to say, yep, ya'll were right. I went back and tried that trial again and I cleared it. I didn't even get to do Shadow Stitch on the second wave cuz it was on cooldown! I spent a good amount of time running around while the lizards chased me waiting for my cooldowns to be up, praying that Riki or Dun-dun would pull aggro off me. Barely got one Chain Attack off, at the very end. I thought that attempt went horribly, but nope! A rank. :shrug: I really don't know. Welp, I got Melia's pretty beach clothes so I'm happy!

Now to dress everyone in their bathing suits before I tackle Valak Mountain. :getin:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Sam Faust posted:

I don't remember how it was in the original, but you can check out that information in main menu>collectables>Heart-to-hearts.

That's not what I mean really. I know it's in my collection tab but I don't like having to run to each one to check if it's the one I want. You definitely didn't have to do that before.
It's the only step back in the UI honestly.

I think if I could mod two things in it'd be equipping items directly from the shop and an easy thing that says "Damages mechon: yes"

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Andrast posted:

Use everyone imo

Yeah, this is one of those games were I really hate the arbitrary 3 party member limit because everyone is so much fun. I want a party of Reyn, Riki, Melia and Seven or Reyn, Riki, Dunban and Seven.

Sorry Shulk, I know this is your game but you are boring.
Sorry Sharla, your mechanic sucks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In my mod for Xenoblade Chronicles I remove Sharla and replace her with Iscaar Mathais

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

You know, I've been a vocal component of the "Sharla Sucks"* faction in this thread, but I've played Seven/Sharla/Reyn a lot in my current playthrough and I think she could be fixed with minimal changes.

Change 1: give her another red art. Anything honestly. Make it do extra damage to flying mechon or something.
Change 2: consolidate a lot of her blue arts together. For example, merge the aura extension and the tension booster.
Change 3: her talent art allows her to use any equipped art for no cooldown and either a boost or an extra effect. It counts as white during chain attacks.

Change 4: give her some goddamn pants. I mean, heavy armor is workable but the assless chaps on the medium armor sets are just stupid. Thank the gods for fashion slots.

There. She'd probably still be on the weak side but it's fix all her problems with the way the battle system works.

*actually "Sharla is subpar" but tomahto tomayto

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I feel Shulk suffers (to me) because his variety of arts is so low since they're pushing the Monado arts which other than armour are only for very specific times and places.
Poor Shulk

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
Honestly, I feel like all Sharla really needs is the ability to use her Talent Art in Chain Attacks, and not needing to instantly Overheat when she reaches 100% heat.

Also, it'd be neat if her auto attacks actually benefited from the high heat damage boost; it only affecting arts is pretty lame. Maybe if she wasn't forced to auto-Overheat at 100% heat it could instead just lock off arts and run some weird auto attack build at full heat.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You could realistically fix sharla in a variety of ways, but the core of it comes back to her special ability is a punishment unlike every other character. She is just built completely differently from everyone else.

Imagine reyns talent art filled every time he was targeted by an attack and, when full, he becomes dazed for 6 seconds (3 after mastery) so he can catch his breath.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
This stretch of the game from Sword Valley to Mechonis Field is really starving in sidequests. In a sense it's good because there's some urgency to the plot that you shouldn't be taking long pauses to collect bear assess, but I wish quests were more evenly distributed to prevent burnout early on.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

lezard_valeth posted:

This stretch of the game from Sword Valley to Mechonis Field is really starving in sidequests. In a sense it's good because there's some urgency to the plot that you shouldn't be taking long pauses to collect bear assess, but I wish quests were more evenly distributed to prevent burnout early on.

See you think that, but right before the point of no return it vomits a pile of sidequests that you need to do all of to unlock a secret area.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

So the combat in Xenoblade Chronicles has uhhh...a bit of a learning curve yeah?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Ogmius815 posted:

So the combat in Xenoblade Chronicles has uhhh...a bit of a learning curve yeah?

Yeah, but the cool part (kinda) is that both in 1 and 2 you start off as an inexperienced everyday guy who gets thrown into the conflict, so the player being overwhelmed by all the mechanics and screwing up sorta works in-universe to reflect this, and later on when the characters have gone through enough battle and the player has gotten the hang of the combat system you are an unstoppable freight train of pain

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
One thing i never did in the original versions of Xenoblade was optimise my AI team.

Does anyone know of a simple list of Arts/Gems to put on each party member if they're being controlled by the AI?

I kinda just want a set and forget kind of thing with them.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Kin posted:

One thing i never did in the original versions of Xenoblade was optimise my AI team.

Does anyone know of a simple list of Arts/Gems to put on each party member if they're being controlled by the AI?

I kinda just want a set and forget kind of thing with them.

Spike defense until 100% on basically everyone but Melia
Agility up until +50 for Dunban and Seven

Strength up for physical attackers, ether up for magic attackers; cap is +150. Seven can go either phys or mag, Riki probably want a bit of both.

Weapon gems see what you have available. Shulk may like back attack plus or aggro down, Melia wants element plus, etc etc.

E: this is nowhere optimal but it blows up enemies fast.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Enel said in his youtube tutorial that the minimal and maximal damage you see on your character sheet is used in every damage calculation, so you probably want min damage up and max damage up gems in your weapons.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Omobono posted:

You know, I've been a vocal component of the "Sharla Sucks"* faction in this thread, but I've played Seven/Sharla/Reyn a lot in my current playthrough and I think she could be fixed with minimal changes.

Change 1: give her another red art. Anything honestly. Make it do extra damage to flying mechon or something.
Change 2: consolidate a lot of her blue arts together. For example, merge the aura extension and the tension booster.
Change 3: her talent art allows her to use any equipped art for no cooldown and either a boost or an extra effect. It counts as white during chain attacks.

Change 4: give her some goddamn pants. I mean, heavy armor is workable but the assless chaps on the medium armor sets are just stupid. Thank the gods for fashion slots.

There. She'd probably still be on the weak side but it's fix all her problems with the way the battle system works.

*actually "Sharla is subpar" but tomahto tomayto

Sharla works pretty well in Ether focused parties so... working with any two of Melia, Riki, or Seven (with Ether equipment). Still not great, but not horrible either, and Either based parties are not quite as dependent on Chain Attacks. She's workable, but those changes would definitely make her work a lot better and make her mesh better with the OTHER half of the cast.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I was glancing at the wiki, and apparently Haste gems increase the frequency at which the AI will use skills? Something to try if you can get some rolling, I suppose.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lezard_valeth posted:

Yeah, but the cool part (kinda) is that both in 1 and 2 you start off as an inexperienced everyday guy who gets thrown into the conflict, so the player being overwhelmed by all the mechanics and screwing up sorta works in-universe to reflect this, and later on when the characters have gone through enough battle and the player has gotten the hang of the combat system you are an unstoppable freight train of pain

Until you start doing the end game level 99 - 120 monsters. Then you feel kinda useless again.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Is it safe to sell weapons and armor I don’t use or do I need them for some kind of crafting system?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Ogmius815 posted:

Is it safe to sell weapons and armor I don’t use or do I need them for some kind of crafting system?

Sell away.

The only things you should not relentlessly be selling are collectibles/“materials” - I.e. the various monster drops that can’t be equipped or turned into gems.

Sell all weapons and armor you aren’t/won’t use and sell all bad old gems and low level (anything below the max you’re currently finding in the world) gem materials.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
One thing I’ve really noticed this time, having played XB2 about a year ago, is how much better XB2 is at really selling the “you are running around on the backs/through the insides of giant creatures” premise in its world design.

Really, I’m at the Fallen Arm right now, and it’s the first zone whose design truly feels anatomically inspired - the way the wrist hill slopes on either side leading into the palm, etc. by contrast, nothing about Valak Mountain feels like an elbow, nothing about the trip from Colony 9 feels like climbing up from the foot over the knee, along the thigh, around the waist, and inside the rear end in a top hat (what do you think Sartorl Marsh leading to the interior is all about) and then put up near the head with Makna and Eryth Sea. It just doesn’t.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Did they fill the butt marsh with gas clouds on purpose?

So, I've finally reached endgame. Enemy levels have spiked up alarmingly, and I'm being handled quests for level 90+ bosses. Is there any method to level up faster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Xenoblade 1 doesn’t really do much with its setting which is actually pretty weird.

It plays it’s part in the story but if you just gave the person the game in any random location it would just seem like any JRPG world