Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
casey affleck should be under a sheet all the time tbqh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
A Ghost Story sounds dumb as hell.

Another thing that’s really creepy about CMBYN is that the parents are fully aware of what’s happening and just seem totally cool with it. It’s like a horror movie.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a ghost story sucked unforch, I was hyped and everything

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

The Clowner posted:

casey affleck should be strangled with a sheet all the time tbqh

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I was reading about the making of that movie and read that Affleck struggled acting under the loving sheet.

Meanwhile, Edward Norton steals an entire film while acting from behind a mask with his voice muffled. Or every actress ever having to wear the most uncomfortable garbage and still give an incredible performance.

gently caress Casey Affleck is what I'm saying. Pathetic.

Not disputing what you’re saying but there’s way better reasons to hate Casey affleck

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Julius CSAR posted:

Another thing that’s really creepy about CMBYN is that the parents are fully aware of what’s happening and just seem totally cool with it. It’s like a horror movie.

the thing about the CMBYN situation is, as gross as it is, it's absurdly common among gay and lesbian people and you're going to have a very bad time trying to campaign against it on any broad scale, because old gay and lesbian people will get very very angry at the implication that they should be loving people their own age and not "introducing newbies to the lifestyle," and the teenagers they gently caress will get very very angry at the suggestion that they shouldn't gently caress "daddies" or... is there a corresponding cutesy term for old lesbians? i feel like there is but i'm blanking on it.

basically it's gross as hell but it's unfortunately a very, very accepted kind of gross, and probably the result of decades of rear end in a top hat homophobes going "HURFA DURF ALL GAY PEOPLE ARE PEDOS WHO ARE COMING FOR YOUR KIDS" and the pendulum swinging the other direction so hard that it's now unacceptable to call out actual gay pedos as long as it looks vaguely consensual.

e: as a note, i'm speaking from personal experience on this. i'm bi/pan, and being 18-19 and open about this on grindr basically summoned a loving horde of 50-year-old men wanting to "break me in," many of whom were openly hoping i was secretly younger than that. bringing this up to other LGBT people I knew just led to a bunch of "yeah that's totally normal, you should try loving one of them." i'm 25 now, and things have largely not improved on that front, because i still look... younger than i reasonably should.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 10, 2020

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Oh yeah, I know it’s a very common thing and the olds get super defensive about it. It loving sucks that they do it, and it sucks to hear it happened to you. The “breaking in” line is uhhh... wow man that is loving gross, I’m sorry.

Is it becoming more common to call that behavior out or is it too normalized? I’m not gay so I don’t have any experience with it personally and I’m just curious.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

CMBYN and Affleck chat is just reminding me how hilarious it is that Timothee Chalamet grows up to be puffy-faced Casey Affleck in Interstellar.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/NEWS_MAKER/status/1270461739327295488?s=20

https://twitter.com/Anakela21/status/1269173163692380163?s=20

http://www.highergroundsthefilm.com/

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1268671874185093120?s=20

"Your Honor I greenlighted this poo poo"

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

is there a corresponding cutesy term for old lesbians? i feel like there is but i'm blanking on it.

I'm not aware of a specific term, but apparently the dynamic you're describing is not unheard of among young and recently-out lesbians, though not even CLOSE to as common as that among gay men. I'm conflicted because if young, college-aged kids genuinely want to gently caress "daddies" as some kind of consensual kink, they should go for it. But older people seeking out that dynamic with young people who aren't looking for it...yeah, they're predators.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ror posted:

CMBYN and Affleck chat is just reminding me how hilarious it is that Timothee Chalamet grows up to be puffy-faced Casey Affleck in Interstellar.

drat, for some reason, it just never clicked for me that that was Timothee Chalamet in Interstellar.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

So Rebeller is done, BMD and Fangoria are being put up for sale for new owners. I wish them well (except Rebeller, they can go gently caress off and die)

This is so gross that he gets anywhere near a movie set

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wasn't Birth Movies Death just Devin Faraci's personal mouthpiece website? How is it still a thing four years after he left it?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

Wasn't Birth Movies Death just Devin Faraci's personal mouthpiece website?

No.

Chairman Capone posted:

How is it still a thing four years after he left it?

It's the best entertainment news/review site still (technically) kicking around today.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Chairman Capone posted:

Wasn't Birth Movies Death just Devin Faraci's personal mouthpiece website? How is it still a thing four years after he left it?

Because his content got so bad they didn’t need him.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Has there really never been a movie about sentient sex toys?

I know this was 5 pages ago, but this is what immediately came to mind for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKkdgnDu3MA

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Kloaked00 posted:

I know this was 5 pages ago, but this is what immediately came to mind for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKkdgnDu3MA

Holy smokes, that trailer is amazing. How did I never catch this movie watching terrible sci-fi movies in the 80's.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Holy smokes, that trailer is amazing. How did I never catch this movie watching terrible sci-fi movies in the 80's.

I don't know, it was on Netflix for ages, and was one of the movies of the month on the TV channel Comet recently.

(Cherry 2000 owns)

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Alan Smithee posted:

Not disputing what you’re saying but there’s way better reasons to hate Casey affleck

Oh I'm aware. Just that in addition to being an abusive semi-sentient pile of poo poo he also sucks at his job and should be thrown into a shallow creek face down and left to drown like Little John in Robin Hood Men In Tights.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
To the surprise of basically no one at this point, Artemis Fowl is getting savaged by critics right now.

On a semi-related note, has there been any live-action Disney film besides remakes of their animated films and the MCU/Star Wars stuff that have actually done well? There's the PotC films and maaaaaaaaaybe Tron? Those are the only ones that really come to mind.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

To the surprise of basically no one at this point, Artemis Fowl is getting savaged by critics right now.

On a semi-related note, has there been any live-action Disney film besides remakes of their animated films and the MCU/Star Wars stuff that have actually done well? There's the PotC films and maaaaaaaaaybe Tron? Those are the only ones that really come to mind.

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Song-of-the-South#tab=summary

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

lol you think Tron did well

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I think the live action remakes are very financially successful at least. Doesn't Disney also have another studio they use to release films that skew too adult to fit the Disney brand?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Red Bones posted:

I think the live action remakes are very financially successful at least.

Yeah the remakes make bank, but it seems like besides that anything they try that doesn't have the Marvel or Star Wars brand stamped on it has either been utterly forgettable or flopped miserably.

Alan Smithee posted:

Tron is weird because it wasn't very successful but everyone seems to know about it, I would see references to it crop up all over the place growing up.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

On a semi-related note, has there been any live-action Disney film besides remakes of their animated films and the MCU/Star Wars stuff that have actually done well?

Pirates of the Caribbean and National Treasure off the top of my head

They also pumped out dozens and dozens of live action back in the 60s, 70s and 80s with varying degrees of success:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Walt_Disney_Pictures_films

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Who Framed Roger Rabbit made a loving boatload of money. Like $330 million against a $50-something million budget. Plus merchandising.

Timby fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 12, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Timby posted:

Who Framed Roger Rabbit made a loving boatload of money.

If we're going down that route, Mary Poppins's adjusted grosses are higher than The Avengers :v:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tron is weird because it wasn't very successful but everyone seems to know about it, I would see references to it crop up all over the place growing up.

If we're talking about the OG Tron, it was a very technically impressive movie, probably up there with Terminator 2 or Jurassic Park for what it did for special effects.

I feel like it ended up like a lot of movies that didn't do well at the box office in the early 80's and became a staple on TV and rentals. I think (hope) I still have the copy of the Making of Tron book I saved from my dad tossing at some point in the 90's, I recall it being pretty interesting.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Tron: Legacy is the perfect sequel to Tron in every way—for better and worse. They're both rad-as-hell ambitious movies with really interesting ideas, innovative visuals, great actors, and lousy scripts that are buoyed by being fun to sit through while leaving you kinda empty on the other side. The sequel's kickin' soundtrack probably kicks it up one notch above the original, though.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Red Bones posted:

I think the live action remakes are very financially successful at least. Doesn't Disney also have another studio they use to release films that skew too adult to fit the Disney brand?

They used Touchstone as their PG+ brand for a while. A lot of people forget that Who Framed Roger Rabbit and a Nightmare Before Christmas were both released through Touchstone and it was only after they became successes that they became WALT DISNEY PICTURES PRESENTS and the characters added to the theme parks and whatever. I believe Pirates of the Caribbean was the first time they released such a film under the regular Disney banner, and without much fanfare. I don't even think you get the animated castle opening in Black Pearl.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

https://youtu.be/msKI1T9i710

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Artemis Fowl should have been a James Bond style villain for a team up with Gizmoduck and Darkwing Duck.

Was disappointed to see what it actually is.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

But io9 gave it a pretty good review... I wonder why?

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Chairman Capone posted:

io9 routinely gives great to decent scores to any movie that has genre elements, no matter how trash it is. Unless that was the joke you were going for.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chairman Capone posted:

io9 is trash and always has been trash. They classify news that a movie is on hold as a spoiler, for God's sake.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is there, like, a good version of io9 out there? I occasionally visit to peruse through some good ol' Dweeb News, but I usually get annoyed after scrolling past a dozen inane lowest-common-denominator pop culture posts.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like when they'll have posts like "BIG UPDATE ON ALADDIN 2!" and the post itself will be some guy saying, "We haven't started working on Aladdin 2 yet."

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't remember what website it was, but I saw a headline "Naughty Dog's next game might be The Last of Us 3 or it could be a new game." Well no poo poo.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Hollywood has the tendency to learn nothing from it's mistakes. In this case it's botching would-be franchises in the first installment. Artemis Fowl is yet another dead YA property to throw onto the pile. What else am I missing?

Seventh Son
City of Ember
Spiderwick Chronciles
Cirque De Freak
Percy Jackson
Stormbreaker
Eragon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Hollywood has the tendency to learn nothing from it's mistakes. In this case it's botching would-be franchises in the first installment. Artemis Fowl is yet another dead YA property to throw onto the pile. What else am I missing?

Seventh Son
City of Ember
Spiderwick Chronciles
Cirque De Freak
Percy Jackson
Stormbreaker
Eragon

Mortal Engines, and arguably Divergent, though that zombie shambled for a bit.