Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i suppose my question (to which i already know the answer) is why, if it is designed to do that, it was located in a place where it could kill people by operating as designed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

God: "gently caress, MISSED"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mozi posted:

i suppose my question (to which i already know the answer) is why, if it is designed to do that, it was located in a place where it could kill people by operating as designed
Let's have a round of applause for zoning rules everybody.

Additional bean counter answer. This may not apply exactly to the country in question but the following stats are relevant for the US if not most of the west. 1 non worker death is about equivalent to 10 worker deaths in risk assessment actuarial. Better stated as you'll generally get operations insurance encouraging you to have 1 worker fatality for about 1000 years of operating hours or 1 non worker fatality for 10000 years of operating hours. An uncontrolled vessel detonation from overpressure will absolutely paste every worker on site. Sending a frangible lid to the highway then works out to maybe one or two injuries on site and possible injuries or deaths off site. The overpressure will be risk controlled to 1 incident per 10000 years operating time and eat the non-worker injuries to avoid a multi worker fatality event they might need to control to 1 in 100000 years instead. Let's have another round of applause for actuarials.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So a frangible lid is like an overpressure valve but way bigger, and without the risk of a plant manager ordering it welded closed because "it just started leaking and we need to be back in service asap to make quota"?

I guess by "supposed to do that" it means "it'll do that if every other form of pressure control has failed", in which case yeah sure, I guess it's fine. Someone ought to get in a lot of trouble for letting those other things fail in the first place though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Ported pressure controls can fail for no or maybe partial administrative fault of operations if you're dealing with fouling and clogging service. Blowing your top is the engineering solution to clogging ports. You get credit for a ported control in a risk assessment for cleaning procedures but admin procedures are partial credit at best because risk assessments are realistic about them getting ignored and ask for engineering controls on the ugly stuff.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

zedprime posted:

Additional bean counter answer. This may not apply exactly to the country in question but the following stats are relevant for the US if not most of the west. 1 non worker death is about equivalent to 10 worker deaths in risk assessment actuarial. Better stated as you'll generally get operations insurance encouraging you to have 1 worker fatality for about 1000 years of operating hours or 1 non worker fatality for 10000 years of operating hours. An uncontrolled vessel detonation from overpressure will absolutely paste every worker on site. Sending a frangible lid to the highway then works out to maybe one or two injuries on site and possible injuries or deaths off site. The overpressure will be risk controlled to 1 incident per 10000 years operating time and eat the non-worker injuries to avoid a multi worker fatality event they might need to control to 1 in 100000 years instead. Let's have another round of applause for actuarials.

when you put it like that, getting crushed is really the least i can do!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
ANTIFA bonked me with a frangible lid and now my nose protrudes from between my feet as i flapjack my utterly crushed self through my tall man's kitchen.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

zedprime posted:

This is in Bangkok. I recognise that junction as I go through it about once a week. Thailand doesn't really have zoning rules, except that it's expensive to have poo poo like that in the nice parts of town, so they are all out in the burbs where tourists never go.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

don't think frangible lids are supposed to stay in one piece like that

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The flying roof reminds me of this requirement for fireworks manufacturers:

quote:

Construction of Buildings. All process buildings on a fireworks manufacturing site should be constructed so as to reduce the danger to employees of fires and explosions.

a. Such buildings should not exceed one story in height and should be built without basements or subfloors (NFPA 1124, paragraph 2-7.2).

b. The same code requires breakaway construction; i.e., deliberate construction of one weak wall or roof that will give easily in the event of an explosion (NFPA 1124, paragraph 2-7.1). The weak wall should be built facing away from other process or storage buildings, so that any explosion will be directed away from other explosive materials.

and of this pressure vessel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo7H_ILs1qc

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Platystemon posted:

and of this pressure vessel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo7H_ILs1qc

Oh dope, I love these vids

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Platystemon posted:

At one of my old duty stations the base built a nice new storage shed for liquid oxygen. Then someone noticed that the roof didn't meet the standards for storing significant amounts of explosive materials (which LOX is close enough to that it falls under similar restrictions). So we were only able to store one little tank of LOX in it, which looked hilariously lonely sitting in the middle of the very spacious shed.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I found a trainfuckling companion to that superman movie logs-through-the-semi post

Fat Loser
May 27, 2004

Pacra posted:

I found a trainfuckling companion to that superman movie logs-through-the-semi post

"Go home Superman, you're drunk."

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Pacra posted:

The website is for model railroading, but there's a lot more pictures of the aftermath here:
https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/cn-train-hits-log-truck-w-pic-s

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/g5UUMNa.gifv

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My face when he got back up with no floppy broken legs

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

https://imgur.com/gallery/WL1hRSd

Watching this made me nervous.

E:

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 12, 2020

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

My face when he got back up with no floppy broken legs

I think the Skateboard might have been what saved his ankles, it looks like it sort of deflected his legs all the way to the side instead of letting them drive right into the concrete.

I'm still surprised though, I thought for sure something was going to break

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Here's Tony encouraging a wrestler to make a similar drop off a ladder, so extra OSHA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLcjI_TyvwY

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Seems fine, he's using an axle stand. :confused:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

mobby_6kl posted:

Seems fine, he's using an axle stand. :confused:

Note that said stand is holding up what looks like a end cut off a 4x4 which in turn is under a piece of frame that most certainly isn't an axle.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Uthor posted:

Here's Tony encouraging a wrestler to make a similar drop off a ladder, so extra OSHA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLcjI_TyvwY

Something to keep in mind: that wrestler, Darby Allin, isn't medically cleared to wrestle because he did a skateboard drop off the top of an upright ladder onto another ladder balanced horizontally over two railings and absolutely wreckaged his knee a couple weeks back.

His finishing move is called The Coffin Drop, and it's OSHA as gently caress.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Something to keep in mind: that wrestler, Darby Allin, isn't medically cleared to wrestle because he did a skateboard drop off the top of an upright ladder onto another ladder balanced horizontally over two railings and absolutely wreckaged his knee a couple weeks back.

His finishing move is called The Coffin Drop, and it's OSHA as gently caress.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Idgi, what was the point here?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Idgi, what was the point here?

I'm guessing he wanted to launch himself toward the quarterpipe or whatever the gently caress that concrete thing is called, but he didn't push off far enough and just went straight down.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Ladder top wrung is cursed, all he had to do was stop two wrungs down.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

zedprime posted:

Ladder top wrung is cursed, all he had to do was stop two wrungs down.

It is not a step!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Fuckin' Fridays man.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I will take concrete steps to resolve this issue.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
How do you even start fixing that? Wrecking ball and start over?

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

Goodpancakes posted:

The glory days of American manufacturing where you can kill anyone before they can draw their pension. Then safety standards reared its ugly head and these parasites could actual make it to retirement. Now, all manufacturing has left. Coincidence? Be a man, die for Capital

Show us on the androgynous doll where capitalism touched you?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Uthor posted:

It is not a step!

It is today.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

How do you even start fixing that? Wrecking ball and start over?

You can probably scoop it up pretty well before it sets, and then air chisel off what does set. It's still an insane pain in the arse

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

a run to the nearest market for bulk sugar and hose full of water. dump sugar water on unwanted concrete and wash it away with a hose.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

McDeth posted:

Show us on the androgynous doll where capitalism touched you?

*gestures vaguely*

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Memento posted:

You can probably scoop it up pretty well before it sets, and then air chisel off what does set. It's still an insane pain in the arse

Now, okay, let's extend this. I'm going home for the day and I accidentally kick over the staircase. Either I don't notice or I don't wanna be on the hook for this, and it's not discovered until the next day when it's set. What then?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Air chisel, and it goes from being an insane pain in the arse to a living loving nightmare.

Maybe think about not going in Monday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Memento posted:

Fuckin' Fridays man.

Everyone thinks they're a slump tester until the REAL slump tester shows up