Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://pastebin.com/9CeqwmFk

jesus patch is here.
star citizen is good again

Adding the initial implementation of MobiGlas Variants which gives the player the ability to switch out their MobiGlas for another one with various colours. Players will be able to purchase these in game at the new Factory Line shop in New Babbage on microTech.
Expanding the tactic selection for the NPC-Human Combat to analyze the environment and detect, in absence of full cover, possible positions where they can engage enemies without being fully exposed to them. This includes objects such as small crates, which could potentially provide partial cover.
Adding the initial functionality to allow players to interact with dead and unconscious characters, and move them. Whilst an actor is dragging they can equip, use and holster 1-handed weapons, i.e. pistols and knives (the dragging character holds onto the victim with their left hand, leaving the right hand free).
Thruster Efficiency Curves, Jerk, and Aerodynamics
Thruster efficiency curves drastically change the way thrusters work in differing atmospheres. In atmospheres our thrusters now lose efficiency and become much weaker. This is dependent on the ship and the thruster type to some degree, but ships are now much weaker when in atmospheres and cannot fly in the maneuverable way they used to.
Jerk - This is a core change to how ships move, both in space and in atmosphere that makes them much smoother and feel more weighty. Jerk is a measure how quickly the ship’s acceleration changes, and previously it was infinite. Now it’s a finite quantity that means thrusters do not respond immediately to changes in acceleration. Expect weightier feeling ships but with similar levels of maneuverability

Aerodynamics - Ships now have individually simulated aerodynamics surfaces that contribute various little forces to the motion of the ship. The result is both much more realistic and enjoyable to fly, and a significantly more detailed simulation. Expect lots of subtle, unique flight characteristics per ship that give them a lot more character. Ships with wings are now able to stall, do level turns, lose speed in tight turns, and various fancy aerodynamic features. The aerodynamic interaction with wind is now more details and expect wind to push and pull on ships in more complex ways. Ship aerodynamics will now change as you switch between configurations. Breakable parts now affect the aerodynamics, so break off a wing and the ship will not fly straight anymore.
High Speed Combat
Ship systems will now suffer the consequences of traveling at high speed, restricting some of the options that players will have at maximum velocity that will push players into engagement at lower speeds. When flying above SCM speeds, weapon accuracy, gimbal assist speed, and missile lock speed will be negatively affected. While you will still be able to lock onto a target for missiles above SCM, missile firing can now only occur while flying below SCM speed.
Added: KRIG P72 Archimedes Emerald
Added ship paints to in game shops.
Adding in the initial implementation of game purchasable ship paints to shops in the 'verse. These are purchased with in game aUEC from Dumper's Depot and Omega Pro shops and can be applied using the ship loadout manager in your MobiGlas. This first release will only have shops sell the Invictus 2950 paints for a small selection of ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

[EPILEPSY WARNING]

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I guess "adding the initial" is the new iteration of "early days" and "tier 0"

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Heh, meant that in jest but sometimes ignorance is bliss. Like this loving shitshow.

I know, friend. I know :)

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

well at the very least, completely changing the flight system again should provide for some entertainment

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

MedicineHut posted:

Ah my bad, thought you were talking about SC ones!

No harm done, except to the backers and crowdfunding, but that's hardly your fault :D

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Inacio posted:

Aerodynamics - Ships now have individually simulated aerodynamics surfaces that contribute various little forces to the motion of the ship. The result is both much more realistic and enjoyable to fly, and a significantly more detailed simulation. Expect lots of subtle, unique flight characteristics per ship that give them a lot more character. Ships with wings are now able to stall, do level turns, lose speed in tight turns, and various fancy aerodynamic features. The aerodynamic interaction with wind is now more details and expect wind to push and pull on ships in more complex ways. Ship aerodynamics will now change as you switch between configurations. Breakable parts now affect the aerodynamics, so break off a wing and the ship will not fly straight anymore.

Calling it now- this will effectively make dogfighting in atmosphere impossible. This is a game where you have to align all your guns on a single shield facing and hold there for like 10 seconds of sustained fire just to bring it down, and that's on an equivalently sized enemy ship. On a bigger ship with regenerating speeds, you need even more firepower. If you have to actually turn and maneuver nobody will ever be able to penetrate shields in an atmospheric dogfight again. Which isn't really a problem because nobody except pvp'ers ever fights in atmosphere but still

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Wait, microtech is THE PLANET???

I thought new Babbage was?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sarsapariller posted:

In fairness to CIG they did actually put in an atmospheric flight model a few patches ago that made all the ships thrust downwards on their vertical axis like helicopters so you couldn't do stuff like float upside down or fly in reverse to orbit. But it turned out that:

* The deep well-like hangars became gigantic deathtraps under the new model as the slightest misinput would pin your ship to the side of the hangar wall or flip it upside down entirely and there was no coming back from that.
* The game's complete lack of any landing UI meant that you basically had to fly in outside-camera mode just to put the ships down accurately and it was really hard to do that with a mouse for orientation control.
* When landing in space, you'd be in noclip right up til you got onto a pad and then it would snap to the new model suddenly, causing all kinds of hilarious ship stability problems.
* Citizens are completely unable to fly in difficult circumstances or to adapt to change and wailed so mightily that it woke the Crobberts from his thousand year slumber.

So they took it out and went back to noclip mode forever rather than deal with any of these entirely-predictable and preventable issues.

This would be fine under normal circumstances because your first iteration isn't going to be 100% great. You build off of it after learning what works and what doesn't.

I guess the critical failure is they're calling this an alpha and deploying this stuff to production when they're actually still neck-deep in development and pieces like this shouldn't go to the public. You fix it prior to, you know, launching the game.

But again, that goes against the critical cig mandate of "sell everything and it's a full universe you can play in right now". If they never lied to people about the condition of the game, it might be fine. But if they did that, we'd be in year 8+ with only the hangar module.

Basically every decision about the development of the game comes down to making cig money, which might be fine if their goal was to make a finished product instead of selling game development itself.

It's the age old argument.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

I would definitely fall down some stairs then jam a needle in my leg through an airtight suit which won't break the air seal but then die in a randomly placed vacuum while examining rocks in prison while a news van broadcasts it to a seedy bar where a mission giver with four jackets turns on a hologram that's only the head but casts a full shadow.

Jesus Chris, I could have gone for like 5 full paragraphs like that and never repeated myself and still not even start to cover the length and breadth of this hilariously inept shitshow. It's what every space game fan ever wanted!

(Except space. Or a game.)

All the while an Idris bounces into another underwater and a ramp breaks a vehicle so the wheels can roll away to freedom.

Scruffpuff posted:

Back in the day at a 90's E3 there was a demo for a Babylon 5 space combat game that had those little spherical ships with the omnidirectional rotating thrusters - it was the first and only time I'd seen Newtonian physics in space combat work. It was like being in those space battles the show had with those little ships. It was cancelled :(

There was a very barebones fan made Starfury game demo, too. I found her.
You can even find Z'ha'dum if you know what you're doing, but it seemingly never went further than when I tried it back in 2004 or so.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Greenplastic posted:

Thanks for all the input, guys. I get it now - it works in Outer Wilds because of the limited and compressed universe (I remember them saying gravity falls off linearly rather than exponentially to make it all work), but it's just not fun in more complex games

what i like most about this post is the cat straight out of the attic in day of the tentacle

HorseBodyInspector
Dec 14, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

Just want to put on my goon hat here and say that nothing in the Expanse is remotely realistic and that actual space combat would be about destroying your opponent's infrastructure for space flight, i.e. your space elevators or launch pads, rather than trying to find an isolated ship based on infrared emissions or whatever. Imagine Naval warfare and what it would be like if boats cost a billion dollars to launch and everyone could see and shoot at any port from any point on the sea, at any time. The boats immediately cease to matter except as delivery vehicles- it becomes entirely about the ports and offense/defense around them.

The whole concept of sending humans into space to sit in pressurized cans full of atmosphere and fight one another is absurd, and it would all be done by robots. It's also absurd to do it for general space exploration. But it's not terribly sexy to think about robots doing all of that, and we're a long way from digitizing human consciousness, so for the time being our fantasies continue to revolve around the idea that anyone would spend the effort to weaponize the most vulnerable type of ship in human history. It's like strapping a glock to an egg.
Original Mass effect trilogy lore, describe space combat as essentially submarines in space: ships hiding their thermal signature to acquire better positions ... suprise attack, kinetic weapons used as relativistic speed torpedoes,
and defense lasers occasionally used in "knife fight" at short distance where all bets were off.
Normandy was beat because it used gravity engine to fall forward and could stay indefinitely silent

I think it will be interesting game, silent hunter (or hostile waters) in space.

And I dont think it is absurd idea to sent humans to war. If I have to bet trained humans, against "The Algorithm" I bet on humans.

edit: I meant cold waters. Hostile waters is another (good) old game

HorseBodyInspector fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 12, 2020

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

jarlywarly posted:

The current leading goon theory on ToW is that it was made to enable Rexshilla and his serfs to better perform his brand of tacticool-milsim RP streaming, but it either took too long or Rex jumped ship or both. Possibly they'd thought it easier to do than it was because Crytek had a BF like mode released with Crysis: Warhead called Crysis Wars and the Crytek engine was used for a few similar mods like Mechwarrior: Living Legends. Other theories are that they wanted to jump on the Apex/Fortnite bandwagon. Could be a mix of all these aimed at attracting new money.

Nyast posted:

I don't think the idea behind ToW is too bad, in fact that's probably the only chance they have at making a game fun and exciting. The problem is that, as usual with CIG, it's super janky, feels like a game made on a tight budget ( other than visuals ) and not 350M$, and comes 8 years too late.

It's really not too far off from when they had a playable Star Marine with vehicles at what might have been gamescom in 2017, which never saw the light of day on day 2 and never mentioned again.

Even if you went by your typical backer of moving the dates of development around, 3 years from Star Marine with vehicles to TOW is god awful slow no matter how you justify it

They are just throwing poo poo at a wall hoping to rope in dumbasses who are "sick" of battlefield and call of duty despite playing neither series at anytime.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Getting close to a round number!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Sarsapariller posted:

Just want to put on my goon hat here and say that nothing in the Expanse is remotely realistic and that actual space combat would be about destroying your opponent's infrastructure for space flight, i.e. your space elevators or launch pads, rather than trying to find an isolated ship based on infrared emissions or whatever. Imagine Naval warfare and what it would be like if boats cost a billion dollars to launch and everyone could see and shoot at any port from any point on the sea, at any time. The boats immediately cease to matter except as delivery vehicles- it becomes entirely about the ports and offense/defense around them.

The whole concept of sending humans into space to sit in pressurized cans full of atmosphere and fight one another is absurd, and it would all be done by robots. It's also absurd to do it for general space exploration. But it's not terribly sexy to think about robots doing all of that, and we're a long way from digitizing human consciousness, so for the time being our fantasies continue to revolve around the idea that anyone would spend the effort to weaponize the most vulnerable type of ship in human history. It's like strapping a glock to an egg.

Xakura posted:

Communication lag matters. You could use that as an excuse for putting eggs on a glock.

Also, as far as I've read in the Expanse, it has not described full scale war, which would presumably be terrible and swift. Only small scale engagements where that one isolated ship is itself the objective.

This - even if semi-autonomous drone are possible, someone needs to be within range to give them tactical guidance, unless they're smarter than humans (which is more like Culture-level tech). Weapon vs countermeasure range is really the key; the Expanse show has solar-system cruise missiles and plausible point defense systems.

Anyway, since this is the Star Citizen thread, let me just express my disappointment that they haven't tried to sell a drone control ship yet. I mean come on, even FTL the game has that. It is kind of funny that they made up a news van ship in a universe with FTL communications and travel; a mobile comm relay would make some kind of sense in a single-player sublight space game where it can't be countered by Discord.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Seeing as they haven't even gotten the minelayer ship working yet it'd be pretty funny if they sold a drone ship.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Inacio posted:

https://pastebin.com/9CeqwmFk

Shut the gently caress up.

Your stupid "fly backwards and upside down at 1MPH" aerodynamics is what you have. Simulated control surfaces my fat rear end.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/17651-Roadmap-Roundup-June-12th-2020

quote:

Mission Giver: Eddie Parr
Although we will release the bartender functionality with Alpha 3.10, Eddie Parr requires additional functionality as a mission giver and certain higher priority tasks need to be completed before the team can begin addressing those relevant to Eddie Parr. At the same time, we’ll be reviewing mission givers overall and planning out what steps we can take to improve them. Because of this, we’ve removed Eddie Parr from the roadmap for the time being until we are able to determine where he will fall.

Docking
Certain scheduled work took more time than expected on tasks associated with this card, and additional work was identified by the team during the initial Q3 planning which has pushed Docking past the cutoff date for Alpha 3.11. Until we can solidify Docking’s place in a future update, we’ve removed this card from the Roadmap.

Elevator Panel Updates
The feature’s scope has increased in complexity since we initially planned this as an Alpha 3.10 goal and we will need more time to make the necessary UI code changes. We’ve moved this card to the Alpha 3.11 column.

lol

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Hav posted:

Keep going.

Next season should start touching on this on the TV show.

Not even next season, the final episode of season 4 has this.

Anyway, am I reading this right? Their big feature is aerodynamics in a SPACESHIP GAME?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

eXXon posted:

Anyway, since this is the Star Citizen thread, let me just express my disappointment that they haven't tried to sell a drone control ship yet. I mean come on, even FTL the game has that. It is kind of funny that they made up a news van ship in a universe with FTL communications and travel; a mobile comm relay would make some kind of sense in a single-player sublight space game where it can't be countered by Discord.

Good news! The Carrack was sold with a "Drone Control Room" built in. It doesn't do anything and the drones aren't modeled, nor do they have even the slightest bit of gameplay designed for them. Something something exploration!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

you really cant make this poo poo up. jesus

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
star citizen: elevator panel refactor moved to 4.0

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
People were sarcastically joking about being excited for Elevator Panels Update as the big feature for the next update and they couldn't even do that.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Elevator Panel Updates delayed :negative:

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
The Eddie Parr thing is hilarious. What functionality does a mission giver require? He gives missions.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
The bartender AI is too good and Eddie "The Mission Giver" Parr keeps trying to take off all his jackets, which infuriates Chris Roberts.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Who the hell is Eddie parr?

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
500 employees, $300M+, 8+ years

no elevator button panels

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Nicholas posted:

What functionality does a mission giver require? He gives missions.

~400h of motion capture. per npc

marumaru
May 20, 2013

about 20s make it into the game

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Is it just me or has last year or two of Star Citizer development been just trains, elevators and bartenders?

Oh... and ship sales, of course.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
sorry I haven't typed that new hello dump yet

I'm learning power bi and SSIS and a shitload of other things and I'm like "learning is fuckin hard"

also in better news my lungs are almost back to what they were pre-whatever-the-gently caress-caused-a-near-3-month-pneumonia so I'm back to jogging and working out and drinking less

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
:reddit: posted:
Me and my dear are ready for tonight's party at the ambassy

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Fargin Icehole posted:

Who the hell is Eddie parr?

The guy who gives you the mission to fix the elevator panel.

Unfortunately, his bar is in the basement and the fire escape stairs are far too dangerous to navigate, at least until client boot sequence streaming starts working.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Dwesa posted:

:reddit: posted:
Me and my dear are ready for tonight's party at the ambassy

Fedoras and Body Pillows not yet in game, so he’s making do with the closest substitute.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

star citizen: elevator panel refactor moved to 4.0

Honestly after playing the game and not realizing you could use a mouse scroll wheel on it, and that was janky, I can understand they need to redesign them.

Maybe, I don't know, put a button for each of the 12 floors you have on a single screen instead of the need to scroll through them? I'm not a game designer or anything though so i can see something like this could take a year or two to develop.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 13, 2020

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1271493906408992770
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1271540467021213696
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1271555582328107008

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Wow 343 unique fighting stances! I have to see these aliens, how do I pledge????

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

TheAgent posted:

I'm learning power bi and SSIS and a shitload of other things and I'm like "learning is fuckin hard"

also in better news my lungs are almost back to what they were pre-whatever-the-gently caress-caused-a-near-3-month-pneumonia so I'm back to jogging and working out and drinking less

This is a good hello

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

Wow 343 unique fighting stances! I have to see these aliens, how do I pledge????

If you pledge up to the Space Marshall level they will reveal to you the 344th stance.