Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Hwurmp posted:

Milkmaid of the Milky Way is a stark reminder that I cannot handle adventure game logic

how is a wooden spoon useful for picking fruit off a tree or prying nails loose. how.
This old article from OMM one the insane moon logic of adventure games is one of my favorites:
https://www.oldmanmurray.com/features/77.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

lunar detritus posted:

After going through the "find something" -> "open bundle download page" -> "search for title" -> "download" dance a couple of times, I added a button to https://randombundlegame.com/browse.

Youre a saint

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

lunar detritus posted:

After going through the "find something" -> "open bundle download page" -> "search for title" -> "download" dance a couple of times, I added a button to https://randombundlegame.com/browse.

Remarkably well done. Thank you!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

lunar detritus posted:

Thank you for all your hard work

Aug 2, 2000

lunar detritus posted:

Great work, this is very convenient.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
go morse go is loving adorable holy poo poo. you're a bunch of cheerleaders doing cheers over morse code

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Particle Mace is Asteroids meets Garry's Mod. Instead of a gun, your ship is equipped with a rubber-bandy set of particles that you drag around. Surprisingly compelling and meditative. Local multiplayer. Good soundtrack. Often $1 or less during Steam sales. https://andymakes.itch.io/particlemace

deskspace is a self-care app. A cute virtual desktop with a to-do list, mood journal, break timer, and a reminder timer. https://npckc.itch.io/deskspace

found both of these with the Random Bundle Game randomizer

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 12, 2020

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The last couple puzzles in Milkmaid of the Milky Way are nonsense, straight up. I'm proud to say I cheated my way through them. There are some stupid pixel hunts, too, which helped kill adventure games as well imo.

What I'm saying is I hope that frog died. Good game, though.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Kitfox88 posted:

go morse go is loving adorable holy poo poo. you're a bunch of cheerleaders doing cheers over morse code

I love this

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The bundle broke 5 million and is now at 5.2.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Crest is a god game built around ideology and philosophical intervention. "Crest is an Afrofuturist game that reimagines how humanity arose in the cradle of humankind on the African continent. It's a historical themed game that tries to emulate an advanced iron age civilization that could have existed a few thousand years ago. The setting for the game world, its flora and fauna is based on African biomes, with rainfall determining the tug-of-war between desert, savanna and jungle." https://eatcreatesleep.itch.io/crest

I've been playing it for about an hour, and it's kind of like Civ crossed with the Sims and King of Dragon Pass. Your city has a bunch of desires and needs that have to be met, so you implement commandments and create pronouncements for them to follow. Commandments are issued via a noun-verb-noun structure, so there's a wide variety of commands available. Thing is, people can change or forget the meanings to words over time. For example, I issued a command "jungle + produce + babies" (people of jungle, have kids). Then the people began to associate the idea of a jungle (where there city is) with "hungry," because the people of the jungle went hungry will trying to have a lot of offspring. So now, in all of my commandments, there's a chance that anything to do with a jungle could become a byword for hunger. "People of the jungle hunt antelope" might become "hungry people hunt antelope" and so on. Systems seem a bit dense but it's certainly unique. I like it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Oops, I missed a page.. a couple more games to highlight:

Marie's Room - This game I think is free on Steam but it's still a nice little walking simulator with a very "Life is Strange hella" aesthetic

Luna's Wandering Stars - an orbital gravity puzzle game where you have to collect the stars in each level while rotating around planets and trying not to crash into them. each chapter has a brand new mechanic that the levels are built around. it's pretty solid

Dogurai - you are a dog samurai that has a motorcycle

e: Ganbare: Super Strikers - a tactical soccer game, may be the closest thing you'll get to inazuma eleven on PC

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 12, 2020

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

beer gas canister posted:

I've been playing it for about an hour, and it's kind of like Civ crossed with the Sims and King of Dragon Pass. Your city has a bunch of desires and needs that have to be met, so you implement commandments and create pronouncements for them to follow. Commandments are issued via a noun-verb-noun structure, so there's a wide variety of commands available. Thing is, people can change or forget the meanings to words over time.

I can only get so erect, holy poo poo. Please let us know your impressions when you get further / beat it!

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Edit: despite reading this entire thread, I somehow missed that someone already recommended it. Whoops.

A system-neutral TTRPG module that caught my eye:

A WIZARD. https://donnyc.itch.io/a-wizard The party embarks on a conventional quest to stop an evil wizard, but things quickly get out of hand as the adventure turns into eldritch horror. It’s imaginative and evocative and I will definitely run it. It is gruesome and there is a very real possibility of character deaths, so talk to your players about it. From the creator:

quote:

Content Warnings: gore and dismemberment, vomit, pregnancy imagery, mind control, bugs, unreality, trypophobia, self-harm, forced immoral decisions, hallucinations.

The module consists of the town, which does a good job of giving a taste of the discomfort the characters will soon experience, then the wizard’s tower: a 25 room dungeon with no random encounters. While within the tower the party might fall into The Abyss, an optional dungeon written by a guest author that has 20 rooms and 20 possible random encounters.

Just reading it is fun. The module is well-written, with a few fun comments from the titular Wizard like “many a normal amount of legs”. It also has creepy monochrome maps and illustrations.

I’ve checked out a few RPG modules and systems from this bundle, most of which I wouldn’t recommend. Some, like this one, get me excited and I’ll write a bit about them later.

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jun 12, 2020

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Are there any you'd recommend for single player? I find the hardest part of playing RPGs is coordinating a session but if it's just me....

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Alright, I'm gonna play a few games each night, probably beat a couple because a lot of these games are very short, and give my thumbs up or down on 'em

TimeStone (beaten) - I beat it, it's a single-room point'n'click adventure game, the kind that was made back when Adventure Game Studio had single-room contests. It's.. whatever. It's inert. I guess my thumb doesn't even move for this one

The Subject (beaten) - A thumb up ONLY for the type of person that would be into this type of game, which is.. kind of mediocre walking simulator with puzzles on an abandoned spaceship where a dumb spooky thing chases you. This is of course a full genre at this point. It's no better or worse than any other game in the genre but you won't remember much about it after you beat it.

Cuckoo Castle (beaten) - Thumbs up, a gameboy-style Metroidvania that can be beaten in under an hour. You can save people and then switch between a couple of them to access new areas. Light harmless fun.

Super Bernie World (beaten) - Thumbs down. It's an attempt at paying homage to Super Mario 3, but it's not a great one, and it also has SMB1 mechanics, and you can't bounce off of enemies. Also. As a Bernie fan, the propoganda of this is kinda pathetic. They couldn't figure out how to reskin the Bullet Bill, so they just put "ICE" on it, like a bad political cartoon.

Midnight Manor (beaten) - Thumbs up, a simple half hour experience with Mario 2 grabbing, throwing and jumping, where you help a guy in his mansion perform a demonic ritual.

Dogs Throwing Swords 2: Three Barks to the Wind (beaten) - This one you can knock out in 10 minutes, it only has two stages. It's a cute-em-up where you pick a trio of dogs based on certain classes which have different HP and weapons, then shmup around horizontally while adjusting your formation to avoid traps.

Lazy Galaxy: Rebel Outlaw (beaten) - Here's another horizontal shmup with ally formations, but this one has SLIGHTLY more meat to it. It's still a C-grade shmup, and I largely say that because I recently got the Turbografx 16 Mini and anything's going to pale in comparison to the shmups on that system. It's playable enough, though. It would claim to be a roguelite but it's not really. You get a tiny powerup between levels, and when your run is over you get unlocks with your score total.... but that's the extent of it. And the levels aren't randomly generated or anything. It's fine, though.

Hair Dash - Thumbs down, there's just no meat to this. It's a One Finger Death Punch clone, clearly designed for mobile, only seems to be two levels, and it's pretty shallow.

Task Force Kampas - Thumbs up, a quality vertical shmup that's nice and fast, treads a bit into bullet hell territory especially with the bosses. My main complaint is a lack of background variety, and that you only get one life per run. The gimmick of this game is a regenerating shield that only recharges when you're not shooting.

Ephemeral Tale - Thumbs up, a JRPG not made in RPG Maker (instead it appears to be HTML5 ala CrossCode), has some fast turn-based combat with camera swerving. It falls into the DQ1 mold of largely being a single-member-party game although you can recruit allies. Taking a cue from Dark Souls, instead of experience you get 'power' from winning battles, and you can take power to a certain NPC to level up one of your stats (which also boosts your HP/MP). Power is also used to recruit an ally to join you. Enemies hit hard in this game and there's not many chests, no shops, so you're going to die a lot. But there's no real penalty for dying other than having to recruit the ally again. A big thing in the game is gear, enemies drop gear all the time, and none of them upgrade across the board (except for going from a lower level specific gear to a higher level of the same specific gear), so it's all about constantly swapping gear in and out, especially if you find a boss and have to prepare for it.

Soft Body - A twin-stick action game, but not a twin-stick shooter. It's more about bullet avoidance. Your goal is to activate all the switches and push a ball from one end of a path to the other, while avoiding a lot of enemies and bullets. You have a ghost form that you can detach with the right stick, that can defeat some enemies, and push the ball by itself. So there's a lot of hand-eye coordination needed. I played through one chapter of this and liked it quite a bit. Thumbs up.

Mewnbase - A tentative thumbs up if you're into the typical gameplay loop of 'harvest, then craft, then research, then build new machines, then craft new things, go harvest again, etc' that comes with a base building survival game. It's very simple and about half-way through Early Access (literally, it's at v0.5 right now

Games played: 27/1051 (2.6%). Games Beaten: 10/26

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 12, 2020

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Anarcute devs have posted why the game disappeared from the bundle:

quote:

Sorry, the game has been removed because the files offered were not the good ones (a PDF explaining how to activate a Steam Serial). It is now clean, with the 32 and 64bit builds available! I hope you can put it back in.

So hopefully that makes it back in. Also hoping A Hole New World comes back, the dev posted to get it readded from the correct account, but I do see games in the bundle that was posted after that in the thread. I really want to try that.

Latest one I've tried is Silver Grapple, because I love grappling hooks. It's not a bad game, but sadly you can't do much fun stuff with the hook (at least not at the point I am, it's very mildly Metroidvania-ish and I'm suspecting there's a better hook eventually) - you can't gain speed from just swinging, once you've hooked something you can't extend or reel in the rope, and there's a limit for how long you can be hooked to one spot. So the hook is really only used as a tool to solve rooms in a pre-intended way and you can't get very creative with it.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

The 7th Guest posted:

Lasercat (https://monsterjail.itch.io/lasercat) is a room-by-room platform in the Spectrum mold, it's cute and not too long

Wow, this one's a blast from the past. I played this waaaay back when it was on that weird Xbox Live Arcade indies thing. Very fun platformer with super-lite Metroidvania elements.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Zereth posted:

Are there any good RPGs in the bundle besides Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass which I've heard is, uh.... not exactly a lighthearted fun time?

From a while back but Kaiju Big Battel https://super-walrus-games.itch.io/kaiju-big-battel-fighto-fantasy is very, very good. While the combat system is standard, the writing is amazing. One of your party members is a human-sized plantain out to build communism and destroy capitalism and you travel through time to defeat an evil doctor with a box for a head.

Aug 2, 2000

Anarcute, the riot simulator featuring cute animals, was pulled because there was something wrong with the files but it has been resubmitted so expect to see it soon.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Submissions are closed and the developer for GangBeasts just asked for it to be added :(

Hopefully they can make an exception

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Artelier posted:

Are there any you'd recommend for single player? I find the hardest part of playing RPGs is coordinating a session but if it's just me....

Ironsworn is far and away the best solo RPG in the world right now, and you have it! The base game is free, and its excellent expansion, Delve, is included in the itch.io bundle. There's also a bunch of great Ironsworn streamed games up on youtube now that you can check out to get a feel for the mechanics.

Ironsworn also does GMless co-op, which I can also attest is very good if you've got even one person you can coordinate with.

neon flame
Feb 21, 2013

Apparently Dan is a sex symbol in France.

Backspace Bouken

I've gotten partway through the library in this game, and the typing gameplay is fun. It won't teach you how to touch type if you don't already know how, but speed of enemy attacks is based on your Words Per Minute in the first battle, so I imagine you could beat it without knowing that. I'd recommend slowing down a bit at the start so you can read and take in what you're typing, as you get the enemies dialogue from typing it, and later ones have entertaining gimmicks. I have a big caveat for the dungeon crawling part though:

You can't bring up a full map

The game expects you to find your away around each floor and fill in an automap, with one NPC only appearing once you fill in 100% of the floors map. That reward is optional, but later floors have multiple entrances and exits to keep track of and backtrack to; I got lost and spent a frustrating amount of time trying to get back to a staircase. Since enemies don't respawn it really killed the pacing to walk in circles not typing anything.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Harminoff posted:

Submissions are closed and the developer for GangBeasts just asked for it to be added :(

Oh man that's a shame, gang beasts is an excellent game

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

NewMars posted:

From a while back but Kaiju Big Battel https://super-walrus-games.itch.io/kaiju-big-battel-fighto-fantasy is very, very good. While the combat system is standard, the writing is amazing. One of your party members is a human-sized plantain out to build communism and destroy capitalism and you travel through time to defeat an evil doctor with a box for a head.

Kaiju Big Battel is a real thing you can watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC-IGhqplrM

Impressions of the few games I've played in the bundle:
I have low stats but my class is "leader" so I recruited everybody I know to fight the Dark Lord": A JRPG with a 100 person active party, each with their skills, stats and synergies with other party members sounds more fun than it is. As it is the game functions more as an oddity or a thought experiment than an actual game.

Flamberge: This game is on Steam. It went into EA in 2015 and hasn't come out since. I don't think there's been any movement on development since 2017. There is only about 3-4 hours worth of game here. I can't speak on the quality of what is there because I couldn't figure out how to advance past the tutorial.

Daemon Detective Gaiden 2: A fun little platformer that takes some cues from Kid Chameleon by virtue of the powerups being outfits that change the appearance of your character. Also there are 8 playable characters, each with their own unique abilities.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it just went from 55 to 56 pages

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Harminoff posted:

Man, I had irrationally been crossing my fingers for World of Horror to sneak in there. :sigh:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kestral posted:

Ironsworn is far and away the best solo RPG in the world right now, and you have it! The base game is free, and its excellent expansion, Delve, is included in the itch.io bundle. There's also a bunch of great Ironsworn streamed games up on youtube now that you can check out to get a feel for the mechanics.

Ironsworn also does GMless co-op, which I can also attest is very good if you've got even one person you can coordinate with.

Woah, solo ttrpg? That's an intriguing concept.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah thats the first I'm hearing about something like that, definitely going to check it out.

E: in case other people are curious roll20 has a ironsworn character sheet which contains all the poo poo you'd need to play if you wanted to use your PC to track your own solo campaign or play with a friend online.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 12, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Anarcute is back in the bundle. Unfortunately A Hole New World did not make it back in.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 12, 2020

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

ChrisBTY posted:

Impressions of the few games I've played in the bundle:
I have low stats but my class is "leader" so I recruited everybody I know to fight the Dark Lord": A JRPG with a 100 person active party, each with their skills, stats and synergies with other party members sounds more fun than it is. As it is the game functions more as an oddity or a thought experiment than an actual game.

Yeah. I tried this and while I liked some bits of it aesthetically, I immediately lost interest in the very first battle (which doesn't start for a solid 30 minutes if you try to recruit everyone). I thought the game's concept was going to make it less cumbersome to actually have a battle with an enormous party, but nnnnnno. Good luck having dozens of party members and not knowing what a single drat one of them does unless you went through the clunky menu that doesn't let you simply scroll through character equip/skills pages (you have to back out, scroll down, select again).

A shame really, because in concept it is a cool idea but lacks the QoL features to make it playable.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Agent355 posted:

Yeah thats the first I'm hearing about something like that, definitely going to check it out.

E: in case other people are curious roll20 has a ironsworn character sheet which contains all the poo poo you'd need to play if you wanted to use your PC to track your own solo campaign or play with a friend online.

I'm gonna make a character and try it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Looks like Neversong's been removed. "Thank you for organizing this! We'd like to add Neversong, our recently launched commercial game :) https://serenity-forge.itch.io/neversong" was the post submitting it, but the account was sererity-forge.

Wankers.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

drat i had that one on the download list.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Looks like Neversong's been removed. "Thank you for organizing this! We'd like to add Neversong, our recently launched commercial game :) https://serenity-forge.itch.io/neversong" was the post submitting it, but the account was sererity-forge.

Wankers.

who the gently caress would see this bundle and go 'ah, my opportunity to gently caress a developer out of support and get the game for free for me'

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

The 7th Guest posted:

Lasercat (https://monsterjail.itch.io/lasercat) is a room-by-room platform in the Spectrum mold, it's cute and not too long

Unfortunately, the itch version appears to have a bug where you can't jump off moving platforms properly. Dunno if this prevents you from completing the game like the attic bug (oh, ask your dad) did, though.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

A Hole New World is back in!

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

yegods posted:

Anyone successfully install the itch.io app? I've tried several times, and always get an http error. I have tried disabling my virus checker.

It's a server problem. I wound up running the installer in the early morning and it worked for me after a try or two.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

KennyMan666 posted:

A Hole New World is back in!
Oh nice.

If any of you try it, don't bother with the CRT filter, it's wayyy over the top

e: The final total for the bundle is 1658 items... that's assuming that there aren't additional items manually approved and added later on like Gang Beasts. But the massive updates are over. So now you can just get to playing the games.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm gonna make a character and try it.

I'm tempted myself, though I have no experience playing these things. I wanna know if you do an LP somewhere.

I'm playing around with Noise 1, which looks like a very light keyboard-based hacking adventure game, the kind where you remotely open doors for someone from a terminal, and it makes me wish (and not for the first time), that FPS heist games existed that used this kind of mechanic and role.