Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What did it matter?
This poll is closed.
The mod squad (FORUM FRIENDS) has edited the poll 11 1.38%
And inserted their good jokes 4 0.50%
While the rest of you laugh 9 1.13%
Bowsette 103 12.88%
347 43.38%
killer comedy option $69,420.69 15 1.88%
big bandicoot baps 311 38.88%
Total: 800 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Remember that meme psychological horror visual novel from years back, Doki Doki Literature Club?

Some mad lads have spent over two years writing a mod for it. Kinda have to be impressed at the level of dedication.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce7d8XQ_1_E

Who knows how it'll turn out, but it's coming out in about 10 minutes so if that's the kinda thing you're into it might be worth checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

drat RIP NicoBoy95

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A hero

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Update: I am watching Spider-Verse

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

holy poo poo 12 oz mouse is back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGOJSBOo6Iw

Weedle
May 31, 2006

wuggles posted:

Update: I am watching Spider-Verse

:yeah:

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Harrow posted:

Stux, can you honestly not see how the two vastly different architectural styles tell very different stories about what kind of place it is? You're trying desperately to boil this down to "it looked bad before, the new one looks better" and like, yes, the new one looks better, but it (potentially) goes way too far in redesigning areas to the point that they're not even visually reminiscent of Boletaria.

Is it really so outlandish to think that might not be for the best?

Souls games have a really strong sense of place and changing the entire architecture of a place changes a lot about it.

It is bananas to me that people look at a Norman castle and something patterned after Mad King Ludwig’s fantasy palaces and can’t see a difference aside from “more detail” but I guess that’s how people feel about me when I fail to distinguish cars or guns.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

whos norman

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Stux posted:

whos norman

Tragicomic
Jun 6, 2011

by Modern Video Games
Hey where's the latest SS13 thread? Haven't played in about 10 or 11 years. Thanks!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cuntellectual posted:

Remember that meme psychological horror visual novel from years back, Doki Doki Literature Club?

Some mad lads have spent over two years writing a mod for it. Kinda have to be impressed at the level of dedication.

Who knows how it'll turn out, but it's coming out in about 10 minutes so if that's the kinda thing you're into it might be worth checking out.

i can't imagine what's impressive about whatever is happening here, maybe you meant a different word

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

Impressive that they spent time on it but I don't see what this could possibly add to the original, it stands well on its own.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ErrEff posted:

Impressive that they spent time on it but I don't see what this could possibly add to the original, it stands well on its own.

From the look of things it's more played straight and something like Katawa Shoujo.

Will it be worth the effort?

:iiam:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

did the doki doki team ever make that game that was hinted at in the hidden files

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

did the doki doki team ever make that game that was hinted at in the hidden files

Sometime earlier this year Dan Salvato tweeted that he was picking up the thing he was planning on making after having it put it down for a couple of years for IRL reasons, so no, not yet.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Can somebody explain Yandere Simulator to me? I just see a ton of cryptic references to it and it's developer on Twitter

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Watching trailers for new games recently has made me realize that a good portion of games have become basically indistinguishable from each other visually. Now that photorealism and physically based shaders are the norm, brick walls just look like brick walls, water looks like water, clouds look like clouds, and grass looks like grass. We're beyond the point where every game had an inherent level of stylistic abstraction that gave it a unique character. I'm super hyped for the Demon's Souls remake, but I'm basically resigned to the fact that it's going to lose some of the strange abstract quality that the original had just by virtue of being part of this generation. I'm hoping that it's a phase like coloured lighting and physics puzzles and eventually photo-realism becomes just a tool in the toolbox. I'm playing God of War on PS4 right now and it looks stunning, but for the most part, it could be any game. If Kratos isn't on the screen, you could tell me it's any current-generation game and I would have no reason to doubt it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Can somebody explain Yandere Simulator to me? I just see a ton of cryptic references to it and it's developer on Twitter

turn back now

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i felt like the ps5 presentation had a nice mix of hyperrealism and fun styles. there was that cool botw looking game with the very stylised look that looks really nice, the one with the girl and the little creatures too. and the indies obviously.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

and then there's bugsnax, demonstrating we finally have the capability to reproduce a third string puppet show where all the puppets were scrounged out of the dumpster behind jim henson's house

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Volte posted:

Watching trailers for new games recently has made me realize that a good portion of games have become basically indistinguishable from each other visually. Now that photorealism and physically based shaders are the norm, brick walls just look like brick walls, water looks like water, clouds look like clouds, and grass looks like grass. We're beyond the point where every game had an inherent level of stylistic abstraction that gave it a unique character. I'm super hyped for the Demon's Souls remake, but I'm basically resigned to the fact that it's going to lose some of the strange abstract quality that the original had just by virtue of being part of this generation. I'm hoping that it's a phase like coloured lighting and physics puzzles and eventually photo-realism becomes just a tool in the toolbox. I'm playing God of War on PS4 right now and it looks stunning, but for the most part, it could be any game. If Kratos isn't on the screen, you could tell me it's any current-generation game and I would have no reason to doubt it.

This will become even worse soon, as every developer will use the same Quixel assets for UE5

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

bugsnax was akin to body horror to me. your hand turning into a strawberry or whatever his terrifying

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Stux posted:

i felt like the ps5 presentation had a nice mix of hyperrealism and fun styles. there was that cool botw looking game with the very stylised look that looks really nice, the one with the girl and the little creatures too. and the indies obviously.
Yeah, there have always been, and continue to be, games that went for style over realism, and others than went for realism as far as the tech of the time could take them. But now for the first time, the ones that want to strive for realism all basically converge on the same point: actual realism. The compromises that they used to have to make ended up being hugely important parts of their character and that seems to be diminishing a lot this generation.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

grieving for Gandalf posted:

bugsnax was akin to body horror to me. your hand turning into a strawberry or whatever his terrifying

It reminded me of that scene in Hannibal the movie where the guy was served his own brain.

Man, I shuddered just thinking about it so I put it in spoilers

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

excited for neil druckman's next project, its a passionately anti racist adventure game that plays like mavis beacon teaches typing except it makes you type racial slurs for 20 hours

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Gripweed posted:

tl;dr:

Some random guy on 4chan thought "wouldn't it be funny if hitman was about high schoolers in japan"

Some other guy from... Gaia, I think, who had tried and failed to make another game announced he would make it.

He then spent years and years doing extremely minimal work, being incompetent, being a dick to his fan, and conning money out of the 12 year olds that are into it.

To borrow from reddit, the coding is extremely bad and it will never be a finished product.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

homeless snail posted:

excited for neil druckman's next project, its a passionately anti racist adventure game that plays like mavis beacon teaches typing except it makes you type racial slurs for 20 hours

you type the slur and get 50 points and the little mascot pops up with the message, "oh my god why did you type that? have you no shame?"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the n-word level is the schindler's list of gaming

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Volte posted:

Yeah, there have always been, and continue to be, games that went for style over realism, and others than went for realism as far as the tech of the time could take them. But now for the first time, the ones that want to strive for realism all basically converge on the same point: actual realism. The compromises that they used to have to make ended up being hugely important parts of their character and that seems to be diminishing a lot this generation.

i dont know if we've seen enough of the gen yet to make that call, also this is something that has always happened and especially at the start of a generation, when its a new toolset and workflow for a new spec with more power a lot of people bet on safe early on, and safe is whatever is easiest with the tools. but games going for the realistic look in any given generation do end up going down the same road to get there i feel like. i also feel like, and i dont know if this is just because indies are an actual thing now (it is), but compared to last generation especially it feels like we have had way way more things going for different art styles. in my head last gen is this dark era of UE3 games whereas this gen its like, i can play a realistic styled AAA, a cartoony AAA and some completely bizarre indie all on the same system without seeing a single weird lumpy character model that was rejected from gears of war.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

realised my reply didnt actually reply properly to the all doing the same style of realism part and just mentioned other art styles again but i keep getting blinding pain thinking about 360 and ps3 games that went for realism and how that ended up looking

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've seen people bring out the "realism in video games has at last been achieved" argument for at least 25 years and it's never very convincing because the human eye is incredibly discerning when it comes to what feels natural and what doesn't. Some level of abstraction will always be needed and art generation is still by far the most expensive and labor-intensive aspect of game development.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Cuntellectual posted:

This did nothing for me, tbh, and I really liked DDLC on release.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

homeless snail posted:

the n-word level is the schindler's list of gaming

immediately after that you jump into the timeline where black people won the war, and you have to type "honkie" and "cracker" exclusively

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What was the prettiest game of this gen

i liked botw

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1271497029471043584?s=20

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

immediately after that you jump into the timeline where black people won the war, and you have to type "honkie" and "cracker" exclusively

ah, the "White Man's Burden"-verse and they managed to get John Travolta to take part in the project

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Help Im Alive posted:

What was the prettiest game of this gen

i liked botw

Forza Horizon 4 environments, Death Stranding people. Judgment also looked awesome

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
So we had the Citizen Kane of Video Games, the Schindler's List, did we ever figure out what the Caligula of Video Games was?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Viewtiful Jew posted:

So we had the Citizen's Kane of Video Games, the Schindler's List, did we ever figure out what the Caligula of Video Games was?

Leisure Suit Larry: Wet Dreams Don't Dry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Viewtiful Jew posted:

So we had the Citizen's Kane of Video Games, the Schindler's List, did we ever figure out what the Caligula of Video Games was?

The Citzen Kane of video games is Killzone 2, right?