Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Probably not what you're looking for but anything on the steeper end of the grog scale usually requires note taking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Fat Samurai posted:

I've discovered that I like taking notes in games. My biggest two examples are Return of the Obra Dinn (for clues) and Cultist Simulator (to try and make sense and put together the snippets of lore). Any games in the same vein? I'm not interested in mapping a dungeon.

The original La Mulana was all about taking notes. LM2 a bit less so since you get a lot of stuff automatically recorded for you ingame, and iirc the remake of LM1 has something similar.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Keeping a gaming notebook is fun. I remember finding one I made years ago (mostly figuring out puzzles and planning routes for Sunless Sea as well as sketches for stuff I was building in Terraria).
It looked like the diary of a crazy person. Totally bonkers.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

A friend of mine was keeping a pilot's notebook of his trips through Elite Dangerous. This was a bit more about trying to squeeze blood from a stone, though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

King of Dragon Pass works much better with note taking.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The Ur-Quan Masters all but requires note-taking. It's a modernized port of the all-time classic space adventure, Star Control 2.

I remember playing it like 15 years ago, and I had a bigass text file in which I'd record any keyword/name/mystery/coordinate/possibly-useful-bit-of-info that I came across, which was a loving lot. I would've been completely screwed if I didn't take notes.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

What's a good "turn off your mind and wreck stuff" kinda game. Something in the vein of EDF/Musou/Diablo sorta things

Bonus points for grinding up skills/equipment

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Heroes of Hammerwatch maybe?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

What's a good "turn off your mind and wreck stuff" kinda game. Something in the vein of EDF/Musou/Diablo sorta things

Maneater
Nova Drift
Hades

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Streets of Rage 4 (just came out and it loving owns)
Doom 2016
One Finger Death Punch

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Phantasy Star Online 2, unironically. It really scratched my itch of just clearing out loads of mobs with big attacks and fast action. And it's all about grinding gear and levels. And your abilities come from enemy drops (or you can just buy them from other players). The story is also there, but kind of disconnected from the game so you don't have to worry about getting bogged down in it. Also it's free, so it'll only cost you some time to try it out.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Grim Dawn

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

I've discovered that I like taking notes in games. My biggest two examples are Return of the Obra Dinn (for clues) and Cultist Simulator (to try and make sense and put together the snippets of lore). Any games in the same vein? I'm not interested in mapping a dungeon.

If you haven't played it Riven is like, the quintessential "taking notes" game. I had one of those little notepads full of sketches and descriptions of various symbols and stuff.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Rewatching LOST during lockdown and wondering if there’s any games that feel like LOST, that sort of “exploring an abandoned place while things progressively get weirder and more mysterious.” With a focus on the exploration, not action. I know there’s obvious stuff like MYST, but what else? Also, there was an official LOST video game back in the day, does anyone know if it is available to download for PC anywhere anymore?

Dead in Bermuda has a setting that looks very inspired by Lost

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I was trying to figure out some Steam game recommendations to give my dad for Father's Day, he really only ever played Rise of Nations for years and then lost the disc. There are...some caveats:

-He has MS and can really only use mouse controls nowadays (and not very precisely)
-He has one of those all-in-one computers that I'm assuming is just running integrated graphics, so we're probably talking older or very scalable games. I can tell him about Steam refunds.

I was thinking things like an older Civ, Age of Empires, or Xcom 1? Turn based stuff is probably best, not sure if Slay the Spire is too complex but could have him check it out. I'm just not familiar with those types of PC games from a decade ago, any ideas would be appreciated!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Knightmare posted:

I was trying to figure out some Steam game recommendations to give my dad for Father's Day, he really only ever played Rise of Nations for years and then lost the disc. There are...some caveats:

-He has MS and can really only use mouse controls nowadays (and not very precisely)
-He has one of those all-in-one computers that I'm assuming is just running integrated graphics, so we're probably talking older or very scalable games. I can tell him about Steam refunds.

I was thinking things like an older Civ, Age of Empires, or Xcom 1? Turn based stuff is probably best, not sure if Slay the Spire is too complex but could have him check it out. I'm just not familiar with those types of PC games from a decade ago, any ideas would be appreciated!

Into the Breach!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

FTL is another good one, since you can pause to make your plans if you don't think you can act quickly.

Guild of Dungeoneering is a simpler version of the deck-building roguelike concept, if you think that'll help.

It could be that he'd be willing to get into more complex games if they fit his interests, like if he's a history buff, he might actually be willing to wade into Paradox games or Gettysburg Ultimate General.

But from the sound of things, the safest pick would be Rise of Nations but with updated graphics.

This website might help you with your worries about how well games will run on his system, although sometimes I feel like it underestimates your capabilities..

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Knightmare posted:

Civ IV (many still consider it to be the best), Banished, Dawn of Discovery

Maybe Crusader Kings II (the base game is free so that's an easy starting point if nothing else)

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Knightmare posted:

Dungeons of Dredmor needs very minimum graphics, is turn based, funny and easy to play.
And its only like $7 for the full package

Needs like 400mb drive space
2 gig ram
and integrated card 1024x600 minimum

https://store.steampowered.com/app/98800/Dungeons_of_Dredmor/

OgNar fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 12, 2020

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
It wouldn’t hurt to get him the itch.io bundle while you are at it.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

OgNar posted:

Dungeons of Dredmor needs very minimum graphics, is turn based, funny and easy to play.
And its only like $7 for the full package

Needs like 400mb drive space
2 gig ram
and integrated card 1024x600 minimum

https://store.steampowered.com/app/98800/Dungeons_of_Dredmor/

Dungeons of Dredmor is amazing and fun, but calling it easy to play is a misnomer. It's easy for a roguelike, but thats like saying The Surge is easy for a Soulslike - its still a tough as nails genre and you will get wrecked. Not recommended for a dad gamer (unless roguelikes are his jam, then 100% yes Dredmor is perfect)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
One Finger Death Punch is pretty cheap, silly, easy to play, and uses literally only the mouse as controls.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

One Finger Death Punch is pretty cheap, silly, easy to play, and uses literally only the mouse as controls.

That said, it's very twitchy, precise clicking. Dunno how well that'll play with MS.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Shine posted:

That said, it's very twitchy, precise clicking. Dunno how well that'll play with MS.

Ah I missed the MS part somehow.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Lechtansi posted:

Dungeons of Dredmor is amazing and fun, but calling it easy to play is a misnomer. It's easy for a roguelike, but thats like saying The Surge is easy for a Soulslike - its still a tough as nails genre and you will get wrecked. Not recommended for a dad gamer (unless roguelikes are his jam, then 100% yes Dredmor is perfect)

I meant easy as in you can only play it with a mouse, been awhile but pretty sure it has click to move.

But if he can play Xcom or Civ then DoD isnt that difficult either.
Sure he may never finish the boss, but i bet a ton of people have played it without ever finishing and still enjoy it.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Shine posted:

Into the Breach!

Second this, what a wonderful game this is. One of those simple to play but complex to master kind of things.

FTL would be good but some of the clicking is pretty precise in that and things are definitely time sensitive, even with the pause feature, since he couldn't use a hotkey for it. I think you can play Frozen Synapse 1 and 2 without a keyboard, that's another turn-based tactical action game, though it gets pretty difficult pretty quickly if that's a concern.

Is only strategy his thing, what about more story based or RPG games? The Sorcery series are super playable with just a mouse, they were even ported to mobile at one point I believe, so it'd be for sure playable. It's an RPG type game about your usual hero off to kill orcs and etc but it's really well done and simple at the same time. 80 Days Around The World (or maybe it's just called 80 Days?) isn't really a game so much as a choose-your-own-adventure book but it's incredible. Tons and tons of good mouse only games in the story/RPG segment of things - I know you said this hasn't been his thing but maybe he just hasn't tried it.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Knightmare posted:

Heroes 3?

Puzzlers like Hexcells and Picross?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I will check out all of these, and I totally forgot about Into the Breach. Thanks for all the ideas!

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Battlebrothers maybe?

How about the old tilted mill city building games? They're all up on gog and I'm pretty sure as a child I played them exclusively with the mouse.

E: If he's up for the complexity then there's a ton of grog games fulfilling your criteria, if only because grog devs consider hot keys to be a sign of weakness. Things like panzer corps/general are simple enough really and have free versions available.

Or if he was ever in to tabletop stuff maybe Megamek? Free and run on a potato, but he would need background knowledge of Btech to get much out of it.

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 13, 2020

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
is there a good brawler type game that isn't "press a bunch" or "keep the combo going" types? like a free roaming fighting game.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

One Finger Death Punch is a rhythm game that pretends to be about fighting. That might not be exactly what you're looking for but it's worth checking out if you haven't.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Knightmare posted:

Rise of Nations: Extended Edition is itself on Steam.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

InsertPotPun posted:

is there a good brawler type game that isn't "press a bunch" or "keep the combo going" types? like a free roaming fighting game.

If I've got what you're looking for right then I've been looking for something like it myself forever, but can't think of one since/besides that one special mode in Tekken 3. Closest I've heard of recently is the story mode in Granblue Fantasy VS, but it's on a 2d plane.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

InsertPotPun posted:

Sleeping Dogs

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
It is blowing my mind that One Finger Death Punch got reccomended twice on one page

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Knightmare posted:

Command and Conquer Remastered, if he has any affinity for those games at all.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Knightmare posted:

Seconding the C&C remake. It’s VERY well-crafted. The recent Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition would also be an excellent choice.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!
I'll also throw Age of Wonders 1 & 2 to the pile of recommendations.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I'd second Into the Breach, it's a really really good game with tons of replayability, and a good UI. Runs on a potato.

XCOM 1 has very finicky grenade aiming that's frustrating even for people without hand coordination issues. Crusader Kings 2 also has a terrible UI with dozens of extremely small buttons.

Battle for Wesnoth is a classic free hex-based strategy game with tons of user created content, that he could take for a spin. Will also run on a potato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'll recommend Totally Accurate Battle Simulator. It's entertaining, there's lots to do and experiment with and co-ordination doesn't really matter. Just plop the little men down somewhere and watch them go ape.