Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoner Sloth

Goons Are Great posted:

Alright it's queued and should be with you in a bit!

Actually I considered bumping toxin crew because I did a lot of reading and research on Hector's venom and I was wondering if you happen to know a thing or two about him

thanks again friend, and please feel free to bump the thread - i'll try and get around to doing a post soon but i do know a little about Hector's venom, for starters it led to some interesting (well ymmv for most people lol) research. also amusingly the venom is referred to as Andronoctonus Australis Hector venom so it appears in toxicology writings as Aah venom! seen a fair bit of research being done into using components of their venom as a natural insecticide over the last few years

also Hector's species is the most lethal of any scorpion in terms of numbers of people actually killed so please stay safe GAG! (seriously it's often recommended that this kinda scorp is only handled by professionals - so please be extra, extra careful, several people a year die from their sting) LD 50 is definitely below 1 mg/kg so doesn't take much to ruin you're day

his species also has interesting adaptations physically - they're one of the few animals that don't mind being out in very powerful sandstorms (strong enough to strip paint) because they have special adaptations to their exoskeleton (tiny dome like structures). scientists and engineers are trying to copy those adaptations for use on things like aeroplane and helicopters to prevent wear and tear from high speed winds and dust!!

all in all Hector is a pretty fascinating little dude :unsmith: and would be happy to do a more detailed poast about his toxin cause it is quite an interesting one!

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoner Sloth

oh yeah, the research that Hector's venom elucidated was about how certain potassium voltage channels work in the nervous system in laymans terms, in more technical terms one component of the venom is a specific Kv4.3 blocker

this affects cardiac function and while potentially lethal it also provides a potential treatment, or at least avenues for treatment, for at least some cases of a genetic condition called Brugada syndrome that increases the risk of abnormal heart rhythms and sudden cardiac arrest - responsible for an estimated 8 percent of sudden cardiac deaths.

there are a number of other conditions caused by irregularities with the Kv 4.3 channel too, including some forms of cancer since potassium voltage gates (or at least the genes for them or indirect effect on other things) can effect cell proliferation signals

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

take the moon

by sebmojo

magic cactus posted:

I kinda miss the old front page that had this weird mix of lowbrow stuff done in a highbrow way. I remember there was a series of articles titled something like "great authors throughout history write ad copy" that had stuff like "Hunter S. Thompson Reviews an Episode of The Big Bang Theory" and it was amazingly well done, clearly done by someone who read a lot of HST. I was wondering why SA doesn't do that kind of stuff anymore, but I think online literary magazines like Mcsweeny's have that kind of content on lock these days.

Editor's letters to Brian Jacques lol

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

take the moon

by sebmojo
I traded my copy of toppa mono (sp?) For a well used copy of outcast of redwall today at a thing

alas sand a mat, way south in the west

----------------

take the moon

by sebmojo
holy moly I forgot it was summer. I don't feel right asking goons for more amazing sigs tho. Like it's time out of y'all's day lol

----------------

Stoner Sloth

take the moon posted:

holy moly I forgot it was summer. I don't feel right asking goons for more amazing sigs tho. Like it's time out of y'all's day lol

i'm always thankful for the lovely sigs that our talented yobbers make but i get the impression folks here like making them for people adn keeping BYOB beautiful!

that said i love your current one v much so if you do decide to get a new one please save your current one!

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

Stoner Sloth posted:

that said i love your current one v much so if you do decide to get a new one please save your current one!

so many dank sigs lost, in time.. like tears in the rain. time to post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM54jXndyvQ

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

Heather Papps

hello friend

poison picked!!!
(this made me laugh a bunch)

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Finger Prince

So there was a bee hive on the roof of the building across from me. It disappeared a while back. Well today it's back and it brought a friend! Two beehives chilling on the roof. What do you think happened? The one was gone for at least a month or two. Maybe taken back to bee HQ during the lockdown?

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

thinking about librarians and the Dewey Decimal System

vanisher

If you reply to a thread the probation avatar goes away and you can see the regular avatar

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

thinking about librarians and the Dewey Decimal System

oh great now I'M thinking about the DDS

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I never stop thinking about the DDS

jpeg

good_mother69

Dewey Wilkerson Decimal System of a Down (life is unfair)

sig by the great nut

jpeg

good_mother69

Kief Richards posted:

I never stop thinking about the DDS

There's a joke about dentists here somewhere...

sig by the great nut

Dixville

I don't think!
I.m drunk and nlg didn't rwad all new posts but i love you all 💜💜💜

Escape From Noise

Slush Garbo posted:

:ohdear: Please do not unless it is a small low bridge over a nice swimming spot and is safe!

I love you, brother! I hope something cool happens for you soon

I'll be okay. Had a moment

Pahilla the Hun

Thinking about making a post

Think about it, make a post

Dixville posted:

:glomp:

thanks nesamdoom!!

pizzaz plarpin perfect! thanks Tebulot!

Stoner Sloth

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

:glomp: glad you'll be okay, stay safe out there friend please cause we'd miss you!!

Dixville posted:

:glomp: sounds like a great start to the weekend and much love right back at you friend!

in fact i too love you all BYOB! 💜💜💜

wearing a lampshade

Dixville posted:

:cheers:

alnilam

Aaaahh! real venom

alnilam

Watch out for yourself friend you are great and if you ever really feel like you are considering self harm please reach out to others for help, lovely times pass and things get better, thanks for posting with us please keep it up

The Mighty Moltres

Come! We must fly!

It happens.

sb hermit

:same:

wearing a lampshade

beer number two........... prost my yobbers

City of Glompton

:glomp: to all the yobbers and lurkers out there

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm feeling a lot of feelings.

okiedoke

I am the Doke to the Okie
Watching Ratatouille and thinking about drinks. I've got a watermelon wheat, a cream ale or wine. Please help, I can't decide.

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."
I just got back from our closed library. I spent the last four hours trying to figure out why the client software for our library system was crashing. Microsoft's latest cumulative Windows update was the culprit. I appreciate that Apple, Microsoft, and other software companies provide so much job security for IT people, but Friday night is not the time for that.

It is now :cheers: time.

Also, Library of Congress > Dewey. Dewey was a jerk, especially toward women.

vanisher

Kief Richards posted:

I'm feeling a lot of feelings.

I hope you are okay, feelings are the worst

Please identify where your feelings are on this scale thank you

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

vanisher posted:

I'm feeling geographically bound rn

Dixville

I don't think!

vanisher posted:

500-599 veterinary :)

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

vanisher posted:

LC: Z665-718.8 Library science. Information science

This evening: TP607.V6 Liquors - Vodka

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Howdy orbs I am drunk as a skunk and listening to funk. Everybody have an awesome Friday night/weekend. Love 2 all orbs past present and future!

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

Dixville

I don't think!

magic cactus posted:

Howdy orbs I am drunk as a skunk and listening to funk. Everybody have an awesome Friday night/weekend. Love 2 all orbs past present and future!

Love funk and smoothe jazz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPBaxwjSOGk

owlhawk911

vanisher posted:

i'm in like the 690-710 range tonight. never realized how applicable to everyday living the dewey decimal system could be, thanks librarians!

owlhawk911

to all my drunk orbs: :cheers:

Escape From Noise

magic cactus posted:

Hell yeah. Gotta have that funk!

SeaGoatSupreme
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
I've spent most of the past week hammered so I'm taking the night off but I took sleepy time meds and I'm not tired so things are gonna get weird as heck

i saw a shark

FluffieDuckie

Starting to feel like I should be drinking.

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owlhawk911

FluffieDuckie posted:

Starting to feel like I should be drinking.

ikr? not usually my thing, but if all the cool kids are doing it...