Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Reynold posted:

New cast iron works quite well for pizza, every bit as good as my stone!

looks dank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

Anybody use a bread maker for pizza dough? I'm both a bread and pizza novice, as well as very lazy, so I gave it a shot. I used my standard recipe, but the dough came out way too liquid-y, more like a batter. I'm still letting it rise in the pan for tonight's pizza, and it might turn out okay, but I think I'll knead by hand from now on.

Edit: Welp that was one of the worst pizzas I've ever had.

Honestly it probably would have been fine if you would let it sit overnight in the fridge. I run 66% hydration in my stand mixer and that pours out like batter until it sits for a bit.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
R&D night for the next couple weeks of curbside pickups.

Collaboration pie with a friend of mine who's a chef from Kerala in southern India - Butter Chicken Pie w/ micro cilantro and crema

We're gonna change how the crema goes on, this was a pretty sloppy (and uh...) topping of the crema addition.

And the "Fennel Countdown" pie, in both white and red versions, with calabrian chili sausage, micro arugula, red onion, and fennel

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

ogopogo posted:

Collaboration pie with a friend of mine who's a chef from Kerala in southern India - Butter Chicken Pie w/ micro cilantro and crema

I've heard of a few places that do stuff like this but I've personally never been to one so I do wonder what it's like. Back before the Apocalypse, it would be roughly 50/50 for board game nights whether I was doing pizza or Indian, so I was planning to slap this down and fool everybody. I wondered how the sauce comes out on a pizza since I'm guessing that's a typical butter chicken sauce that isn't modified.

Also, naturally, it looks absolutely delicious.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Yeah those both look amazing but the Fennel Countdown looks just fantastic in both iterations

drat I need to get back to making pizzas

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

ogopogo posted:

R&D night for the next couple weeks of curbside pickups.

We're gonna change how the crema goes on, this was a pretty sloppy (and uh...) topping of the crema addition.

And the "Fennel Countdown" pie, in both white and red versions, with calabrian chili sausage, micro arugula, red onion, and fennel

OMG. :getin:

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

sexy pizzas have entered chat since i last posted. good work ppl

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I've heard of a few places that do stuff like this but I've personally never been to one so I do wonder what it's like. Back before the Apocalypse, it would be roughly 50/50 for board game nights whether I was doing pizza or Indian, so I was planning to slap this down and fool everybody. I wondered how the sauce comes out on a pizza since I'm guessing that's a typical butter chicken sauce that isn't modified.

Also, naturally, it looks absolutely delicious.

It turned out really, really good. My dough is neo-neapolitan style so it ends up being like a soft, sourdough naan crust. I did a parm base, chicken, butter chicken sauce, then brushed on melted butter after it came out. Super fun collaboration with my friend, we're excited to put it out in a couple weeks.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
hey ogo, whats your recipe for sourdough pizza? i've got some discard ready to go and didnt like my previous effort at forkish's FWSY sourdough pizza

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

hey ogo, whats your recipe for sourdough pizza? i've got some discard ready to go and didnt like my previous effort at forkish's FWSY sourdough pizza

Let's see here...

1000g 00 flour / 100%
660g H2O / 66%
30g salt / 3%
170g starter / 17%

Mix water and starter till thoroughly mixed, then begin to add flour. Once it's all in and incorporated together completely, let it autolyse for ~20mins.
After autolyse, I like to mix it for about a minute before adding in my salt. Once that's all in, I mix for about 8 minutes - note that I am working with 20qt spiral arm mixer, so the mixing time is much lower than with a stand mixer/by hand.
After mixing, I like to let it rest for 5ish minutes in the bowl to let it relax a little. Then I transfer to a big, lightly oiled tub for a refrigerated bulk fermentation of 12 hours.
The next day I pull out the dough and let it sit for 30 minutes to warm up just a little. Transfer dough from bin onto my prep table and ball out.
Final balled out proof is about 7 hours at 75F.

This is my process for my sourdough, your results may vary depending on how you mix, your location, etc. Thankfully the joy of doing this over and over and tweaking the process is that there's pizza at the end every time...

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I joined the steel goons with a slab from 2TwentyTwo . . . for my grill!

The edges were already smooth. Based on discussion here, I thought I'd have a little bit of polish work ahead of me, but it was fine. Instead, it was dusty as hell (metal dust?). I washed it off and it seemed to rub clear. However, I picked up a whole bunch more while trying to oil it in. Ultimately, I think I took care of it and got its first seasoning done in the grill.

A 1/8" griddle's worth of steel here was somewhere around $22 with shipping; I can't be precise there because I also got a steel circle to put on my high-temperature burner and the price was split between them. This steel is one gauge thicker than what I'd get for a griddle from the manufacturer. Of course, that one can be easily picked up, but the trick with griddles if you usually have a spatula or two nearby.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Sorry for the bad photos but I didn’t think this pizza would be worth sharing. I made a Wolfgang Puck style dough on Tuesday which is what I do when I decide at 5 PM that I want to make pizza for dinner. I use about twice the yeast and let the dough rise in the warm oven. The pizza was just okay. On Wednesday I did the second dough ball which had been resting in the fridge and it was tremendously better.

280g flour
170g water
6g kosher salt
5g honey
10g evoo
6g active dry yeast

cooked at ~800F in my Pizzacraft PizzaQue for a hair under 6 minutes

Easychair Bootson fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 11, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Easychair Bootson posted:

Sorry for the bad photos but I didn’t think this pizza would be worth sharing. I made a Wolfgang Puck style dough on Tuesday which is what I do when I decide at 5 PM that I want to make pizza for dinner. I use about twice the yeast and let the dough rise in the warm oven. The pizza was just okay. On Wednesday I did the second dough ball which had been resting in the fridge and it was tremendously better.

280g flour
170g water
6g kosher salt
5g honey
10g evoo
6g active dry yeast

cooked at ~800F in my Pizzacraft PizzaQue for a hair under 6 minutes

Looks incredible

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This aluminum sheet pan can kiss my rear end, I need black steel. Crust is cooked but colorless and might as well be steamed.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Some people get real bent over pineapple on pizza so naturally I had to make a "Hawaiian" *
It hit all 4 flavour quadrants, sweet, spicy, ham, and bread. Also cheese.

* invented in Canada

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Just a plain ol pie

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
although bread flour is generally back in stores, I wondered during the shortage, has anyone made pizzas with AP flour? how does it come out? is it just like less chewy?

it made me wonder if it would be less dense if you like a light airy crust

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Stefan Prodan posted:

although bread flour is generally back in stores, I wondered during the shortage, has anyone made pizzas with AP flour? how does it come out? is it just like less chewy?

it made me wonder if it would be less dense if you like a light airy crust

I have, yes. Got some organic ap from a michigan bakery/deli and the pizza is still nice but a little less chewy. Its a little more delicate to stretch. Not lighter or airer, maybe firmer. My s.o. doesnt notice this and visually it looks identical so im probably gonna finish the remaining 8 lbs as-is.

Fyi i follow the k.a.f. no knead recipe exactly. On sunday i mix and leave it to rise, then ball up and leave it in the fridge monday until friday.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Happiness Commando posted:

Just a plain ol pie

Looks good! What seasoning do you use?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Reynold posted:

Looks good! What seasoning do you use?
This was dried basil and oregano (on top of what's in the sauce) and two different local pepper blends. The smokey one is so good.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Happiness Commando posted:

This was dried basil and oregano (on top of what's in the sauce) and two different local pepper blends. The smokey one is so good.

Ooooo that 4 pepper blend, gonna get that.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

Ooooo that 4 pepper blend, gonna get that.

Same, also the sweet hot one with scotch bonnet.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

FogHelmut posted:

This aluminum sheet pan can kiss my rear end, I need black steel. Crust is cooked but colorless and might as well be steamed.

You know aluminum is a way better conductor of heat than steel or cast iron, it's why it's used for cooling fins on CPUs and sandwiched inside the bottoms of frying pans. The real problem of that aluminum pan is that it's so thin, no mass to it.

Now I bet if you got yourself a 3/8 or so piece of aluminum your pizzas would catch on fire...

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

His Divine Shadow posted:

You know aluminum is a way better conductor of heat than steel or cast iron, it's why it's used for cooling fins on CPUs and sandwiched inside the bottoms of frying pans. The real problem of that aluminum pan is that it's so thin, no mass to it.

Now I bet if you got yourself a 3/8 or so piece of aluminum your pizzas would catch on fire...

I'm curious about its ability to store and release heat. I'm so out of practice on thermodynamics that I can't even look at stuff about it any more and have any kind of take on it. What I mean is that the aluminum pan may reach the oven's temperature very quickly, and be able to evenly contribute that temperature to the pizza on first contact, but then the pizza fights back and tries to cool off the pan. The oven then has to keep up its high temperature. If aluminum can really keep up with that then it would be great due to being lighter. I'm not going to judge that aluminum isn't good for this due to under-abundance; some major countries have banned aluminum for cooking so manufacturers would rather not deal with it.

There's a Reddit thread about this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Cooking/comments/ahy6xw/pizza_steels_aluminium_vs_steel/

The take I saw was you need a thicker block of aluminum but it performs well. I think that block nullifies any weight savings. I know that wasn't part of the discussion but you have to think about that when talking about, like a 3/4" thick block of aluminum.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It has to do at least as much as heat capacity as much as it does conductivity. SE did a fun comparison taking this to the extreme: https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/10/pizza-hack-baking-copper.html

Steel vs giant sheet of copper.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah it's not the mass as much as it's "specific heat capacity" which in short is how much energy it takes to change the temperature of a material.

A material with twice the heat capacity of another will take twice the amount of energy to come to same temperature. in effect this means if you have a high heat capacity metal like with a pizza on it, it can dump more energy into the pizza for each degree it cools compared to a lesser "stone" of the same mass. it also means it takes longer to pre-heat because it requires more actual energy to come to temp.

According to this handy chart an aluminum stone would work better than the steel or copper by a decent amount. Iron only has marginally more heat capacity than copper but aluminum has nearly twice as much as iron. This is by mass of metal though so an aluminum stone would need to be nearly 3x as thick as an iron one to get the same mass. If you could somehow make a moisture free pizza you could get a hell of a crust with a lithium stone I guess but definitely take a picture if you can make a pizza stone sized piece of lithium without burning yourself.

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 18, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I only cook on depleted uranium

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Nice char on the bottom, cold cheese on top.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I guess you could instead go for alumina, which you can find in firebricks oh wait there I go again muahahaha.

If I'm understanding the table, a basic aluminum/iron comparison implies one could use aluminum with half the mass of an iron one and have a similar effect. I know that wasn't the original intent of the discussion but people were talking about getting some real chonkers of steel recently.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yes a aluminum sheet half the mass of an iron one would probably perform similarly but it would still be nearly twice as thick.

Edit: If you manage to make 2 sheets with the same heat capacity from different materials the one that's more conductive should cook the pizza faster so an aluminum one would still probably work a bit better

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 18, 2020

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
An 18 * 18 * .375 (3/8)" slab of steel (which I think is pretty decent for pizza) is about 35 pounds/15.9kg.

To have the same 18 * 18 cooking surface with aluminum, to maintain the same weight, you'd need a 1.1" thick slab. But factoring in the heat capacity difference, to make them even, you'd only need to have it .6" thick. Which isn't too bad I guess?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I just used a slab of granite flooring tile, 30x30 cm and 1 cm thick. Works very good. Very cheap.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PokeJoe posted:

According to this handy chart an aluminum stone would work better than the steel or copper by a decent amount. Iron only has marginally more heat capacity than copper but aluminum has nearly twice as much as iron. This is by mass of metal though so an aluminum stone would need to be nearly 3x as thick as an iron one to get the same mass. If you could somehow make a moisture free pizza you could get a hell of a crust with a lithium stone I guess but definitely take a picture if you can make a pizza stone sized piece of lithium without burning yourself.

I asked a chemist I know about this. His response was "sounds reasonable as long as you keep it away from any and all oxygen atoms". Raising lithium to 550 degrees Fahrenheit would probably begin a transient state reaction, by which we mean if you started it in Florida you'd finish it in Iowa.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Jedit posted:

I asked a chemist I know about this. His response was "sounds reasonable as long as you keep it away from any and all oxygen atoms". Raising lithium to 550 degrees Fahrenheit would probably begin a transient state reaction, by which we mean if you started it in Florida you'd finish it in Iowa.

why would i be in either florida or ioawa?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
What’s the beginner-suggested recipe for homemade pizza? I’ve had a pizza stone for years and I’d like to finally use it.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Vengarr posted:

What’s the beginner-suggested recipe for homemade pizza? I’ve had a pizza stone for years and I’d like to finally use it.

For the dough, I've been using 4 cups 00 flour, 2 tsp salt, 2.25 tsp instant yeast, 1.5 cups warm water. I add garlic powder and basil for flavor. This makes enough for two 12" pizzas. I'm still using canned pizza sauce. I get balls of mozzarella from a local butcher shop and slice it thin. I would definitely recommend purchasing a cheap peel and getting some cornmeal to throw on it for transferring your built pizza into the oven.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Basically same, I use the Lahey no-knead dough recipe that I originally picked up from this thread. I've used both all-purpose and 00 flour and both are fine. Sauce, I just cook down peeled tomatoes (San Marzano if I can get them), maybe with a garlic clove or two, maybe basil, but often just a bit of salt.

Here's one from a couple nights ago.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

That pizza looks incredible

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
R&D time with my chef and tried out an elote pizza - Parkay butter base, roasted corn, and cotija cheese in the wood fired oven, then topped with homemade chili mayo, dried parmesan, and micro cilantro. loving slapped super hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

ogopogo posted:

Parkay butter base

Good lord lol