Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I actually have a case right now that turns on this issue. Contractor installs a feature in the homeowner's back yard, tells homeowner, "we need to remedy the drainage."

Homeowner says "Nah, we'll do it later." Next week, rain, flood, neighbor's yard gets hosed. Homeowner calls contractor and says, "Rain, flood, neighbor's yard gets hosed!" Contractor is like, "told ya. But we'll come out and fix it anyways AND fix the neighbor for free."

Contractor shows up 24 hours later, fixes neighbor's yard then goes back next door; but wait! Homeowner hired a lawyer in the intervening 24 hours who is now there at the property telling the Contractor to leave! "You can't do anything out here until we say so!"

Well months and months go by and neighbor (naturally) gets flooded again, but the contractor is never informed, oh and the dumbass lawyer who shooed contractor away in the first place drops the ball, never answers when neighbor finally sues, and homeowner gets a $10,000 default judgment against them from the angry neighbor.

And now homeowner wants to blame Contractor, and refuses to settle their case because they paid their deadbeat lawyer who hosed up the case $15,000, they had to pay their new lawyer $5,000 and they have to pay their neighbor $10,000.

All over a $2,500 repair that contractor was happy to do for free, even though it was homeowner's fault to begin with.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Bad Munki posted:

A minor accomplishment of mine, I suppose.

:getout:

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Leperflesh posted:

In this imaginary case, the farmer built the fence around the equipment after it was left there. Does that still count as "always going to be"? Can the landowner build an Expensive Spite Wall around the excavator, just so he can incur some damages the trespasser will then have to cover?

In addition to the mitigation issue, courts tend to hate people playing games like this. The last thing a judge wants to do is actually have to judge anything, and trying to be cute about poo poo that they then have to think about really pisses them off.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Also, damages generally aren't the cost to fix things *now*, they're the cost to fix things at the time that the damage occurred. Necessary and inevitable consequences are included in that because, no matter how you fixed things at the time, you'd have to pay those costs. Tearing down the spite fence is different.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

Guy was served No Trespass Order (worded to take effect 24 hours after serving to give guy one last chance to self-remove crap) 24 hours ago by constable (hid from constable the day before, owner tricked him to come out yesterday with "hey you better get out here if you care about your cars being towed" which prompted guy to appear and You Got Served).

Guy spent 30 mins shouting at female constable from 1 inch away with no mask. Didn't know what a constable was and kept asking her if she had a court order and if she spoke to the judge. Constable kept telling him to speak to owner's lawyer. Lawyer says he never did.

Guy ran and took the No Trespass order to the police station like a bitchass. Cops are confused and asked owner to bring the copy with the constable's return receipt today when removing guy's stuff.

Owner called the city housing director on hint from previous owner. Housing director said "yes I personally talked to that guy because he was parking 3 unregistered cars outside to work on them, we told him that's not a legal apartment and he can only use it as storage, and to not even think of living there. If he tries to pretend that's his home, call me back."

T Minus 2 hours until owner shows up with tow truck, dumpster, police, and a hell's angel friend of the family to work the camera (sorry but no footage, don't want anyone doxxed).

Owner showed up with tow truck, dumpster, police, and hell's angel as promised. Guy is not there, keys don't work on locks so cops watch as owner drills out the locks and boots the door in like a boss.

Guy rides in on a dirt bike and starts yelling at the tow truck to put his car down.

Guy brings the police back upstairs and pulls out his couch to reveal... a bed! "I'm living here!" Owner plays cops the recording where guy agrees to be recorded stating emphatically that he doesn't live there and only a loser would live in such a rundown unlivable space. Owner tries calling the building inspector (who said to call him if the guy tries this stunt) but building inspector has apparently hosed off for the weekend. Cops say "welp, this is a civil matter, even if he's squatting you can't toss his stuff". Owner disengages and leaves guy's stuff all where it is minus doorknobs/locks which were already chucked.

Guy volunteers to cops "I'm going to be gone in a week anyways" which police note in the report.

Guy has one last surprise, he produces a paper lease with the previous owners from 2019 (previous owners told current owner many times that there was no lease at all for him and it was just a verbal agreement). Lease is for "garage and storage" only, agreement may be terminated by either party in writing giving 30 days notice (which apparently hasn't happened).

Guy is using the downstairs as an unlicensed commercial garage and living in the upstairs in violation of the lease. One can only assume the city housing inspections director is not going to appreciate being lied to by this guy. Guy might prove hard to remove nonetheless unless the case can be made for how it's a death trap in there (combustion engines plus non-code gas appliances, so on).

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

blarzgh posted:

I actually have a case right now that turns on this issue. Contractor installs a feature in the homeowner's back yard, tells homeowner, "we need to remedy the drainage."

Homeowner says "Nah, we'll do it later." Next week, rain, flood, neighbor's yard gets hosed. Homeowner calls contractor and says, "Rain, flood, neighbor's yard gets hosed!" Contractor is like, "told ya. But we'll come out and fix it anyways AND fix the neighbor for free."

Contractor shows up 24 hours later, fixes neighbor's yard then goes back next door; but wait! Homeowner hired a lawyer in the intervening 24 hours who is now there at the property telling the Contractor to leave! "You can't do anything out here until we say so!"

Well months and months go by and neighbor (naturally) gets flooded again, but the contractor is never informed, oh and the dumbass lawyer who shooed contractor away in the first place drops the ball, never answers when neighbor finally sues, and homeowner gets a $10,000 default judgment against them from the angry neighbor.

And now homeowner wants to blame Contractor, and refuses to settle their case because they paid their deadbeat lawyer who hosed up the case $15,000, they had to pay their new lawyer $5,000 and they have to pay their neighbor $10,000.

All over a $2,500 repair that contractor was happy to do for free, even though it was homeowner's fault to begin with.

Wait, a contractor doing the right thing? Is this some sort of mock trial?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Thomamelas posted:

Cheaper than getting mired in legal bullshit generally.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
What was the point of bringing the cops for an eviction if they weren't going to help with the eviction?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

blarzgh posted:

Is there a type for these deadbeat lawyers, or does it range from legal partner in a expensive looking firm to guy leaving business cards in windshields at parking structures?

I assume if you call the state bar for recommendations, you have a good chance of not wasting $15k on some layabout who will blow smoke up your rear end about what a genius you are and just encourage your stupidity (which is probably a feature for some people)

Outrail posted:

What was the point of bringing the cops for an eviction if they weren't going to help with the eviction?

People tend to get heated and emotional when their worldly possessions are being dumped onto the sidewalk.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 13, 2020

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

pentyne posted:

People tend to get heated and emotional when their worldly possessions are being dumped onto the sidewalk.

Right. Duh. :doh:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Outrail posted:

The real question is what was the point of bringing a family friend who's a Hells Angel if you also invited the cops?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
One of them is a highly dangerous individual prone to bouts of incredible violence with little to no provocation with a well-known reputation for brutality and death, and the other is a Hell's Angel

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

therobit posted:

The real question is what was the point of bringing a family friend who's a Hells Angel if you also invited the cops?

One of them might just not show up

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Yeah but again, I think the Hells Angel is the most reliable way to a positive outcome here. Sure he might show up lazy and hung over, bit the cops definitely will. A Hells Angel is unlikely to shrug and say it's a civil matter.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Malachite_Dragon posted:

One of them is a highly dangerous individual prone to bouts of incredible violence with little to no provocation with a well-known reputation for brutality and death, and the other is a Hell's Angel

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

Is there a type for these deadbeat lawyers

They definitely have a type.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Thomamelas posted:

There's lots of great contractors and GCs out there and plenty of lovely ones.

Just like landlords, lawyers, whatever. It's just that you only hear the horror stories. When I say, "think of fireworks" you only think about the explosions, not all the un-exploded ones still in the box.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
That just reminded me I have half a box of fireworks under my bed.

Hmm.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Even in the purely selfish cost/benefit analysis of a vaguely scrupulous contractor, it's better to do poo poo right the first time than have to go back and fix it later. this is ESPECIALLY true if the customer turns out to be a gigantic rear end in a top hat who you want to conclude your business with sooner than later

In contrast, even when everyone else involved has already tried to make them more than whole just to get them to gently caress completely off, sometimes a gigantic rear end in a top hat who's decided they've been wronged will spend six months dying on that hill no matter how stupid the fight is, only to end up paying everybody's lawyers for their trouble

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Outrail posted:

That just reminded me I have half a box of fireworks under my bed.

Hmm.

Seriously they're explosives why would you store them under where you sleep and not somewhere outside of your home.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Alchenar posted:

Seriously they're explosives why would you store them under where you sleep and not somewhere outside of your home.

It's just one or two. Storing them outside means they're getting hot/cold and probably damp.

If my bedroom is on fire my house is already done for and I'm probably dead anyway. Might as well go out loud.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Outrail posted:

It's just one or two. Storing them outside means they're getting hot/cold and probably damp.

If my bedroom is on fire my house is already done for and I'm probably dead anyway. Might as well go out loud.

This is reasonable, but you are forgetting how terrified goons are of fire.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
This is a great time to remind everyone to check their smoke detectors: age, battery, test button to see if it actually makes noise, and finally that there is one in every bedroom and on every level of the home.

The Gardenator fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 13, 2020

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Outrail posted:

Well it depends right? I mean are there stairs in your house, if so yeah you’re probably doomed.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Explosives destabilise over time.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The Gardenator posted:

This is a great time to remind everyone to check their smoke detectors: age, battery, test button to see if it actually makes noise, and finally that there is one in every bedroom and on every level of the home.

Don't worry, they self test frequently and annoyingly to let me know that the battery is low or that I've forgotten the kitchen fan, again.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Outrail posted:

You realize your bedroom might not catch on fire if you didn't store explosives in it, right?

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Dear legal questions thread, my insurance won't pay out because I kept fireworks under my bed...

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

This is probably the silliest question asked in this thread, but i’m genuinely curious.

These conjoined twins, Abby and Brittany Hensel, what if one of them shot and killed someone in an aggrivated first degree murder, and there was no evidence that her sister had any culpability?

I wondered about this after watching a video about a woman named Mayra Rosales, who was charged with the murder of her nephew, but they couldn’t send her to prison because she weighed almost 1,000 pounds. They had to bring her in court on her mattress. But it turned out her sister was at fault and she tried to take the blame for it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The other one would have to be an accessory to murder

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

euphronius posted:

The other one would have to be an accessory to murder

What if their length of incarceration varied?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Motronic posted:

What if their length of incarceration varied?

Your jumping the gun: they would need different lawyers !!!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar
https://twitter.com/bugeyes64/status/1272263135664185345?s=21

Question: why hasn’t this thread mentioned you could watch divorce trials live, it sounds like it could either be pretty funny or boring

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Louisgod posted:

Question: why hasn’t this thread mentioned you could watch divorce trials live, it sounds like it could either be pretty funny or boring

This is so weird. Here's Zoom oral arguments in front of the state supreme court. The justices lose some of their gravitas sitting in a dumpy home office chair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YULidnlDmD0

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Louisgod posted:

I mean, you could always go watch trials and hearings in person; Open Courts Doctrine and all that. The way they're doing it here for me is that the zoom hearing has a link to the youtube stream, but because Court rules prohibit recording you can only watch it live.

If you can find the relevant Court's youtube page, I guess you could sit and see if anything interesting goes up to watch, but thats a crap shoot.

If you're really dedicated, you can look up the Court's docket and pick what you want to watch, but be warned: if the Court has a bunch of poo poo stacked up, its very likely each thing will run over into the next thing's time slot so if what you want to watch is the 4th thing set that morning, it may not start for a long time after it is scheduled.

Trials, however, typically start when they are scheduled to.

Edit- Also, be advised: many many divorce trials set on a docket, especially those set early in the morning with multiple cases set at that time, are "prove ups"; these are agreed divorces where both sides read a script for two minutes and its over. These will not be interesting to see.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 15, 2020

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a good set of links.. court poo poo is def my jam I love watching trials and stuff.. Divorce would be even more fun to watch but like you said would be a pain in the dick to chase down.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

therobit posted:

This is reasonable, but you are forgetting how terrified goons are of fire.

Alchenar posted:

Explosives destabilise over time.

BonerGhost posted:

You realize your bedroom might not catch on fire if you didn't store explosives in it, right?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar
Aw man, I was hoping to watch the contentious divorces where poo poo gets sour

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Anything involving kids is going to be closed anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

tater_salad posted:

Is there a good set of links.. court poo poo is def my jam I love watching trials and stuff.. Divorce would be even more fun to watch but like you said would be a pain in the dick to chase down.

The British Columbia Court of Appeal is streaming all their hearings over Zoom: https://www.bccourts.ca/court_of_appeal/hearing_list/lists/weekly_hearing_list/Weekly%20Hearing%20List.pdf