Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

No, we do not, you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Donald Trump and calls to take down Confederate statues in the US"

Telegraph:
:fuckoff:

Matt:

Independent:

Labour's Keir Starmer most popular opposition leader since Tony Blair, poll finds

Times:

Evening Standard:

UK GDP falls by record 20.4% in April as lockdown paralyses economy

Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on... the statue defenders

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
jfc "Akela", really?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
the post so bad I made it twice

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

XMNN posted:

jfc "Akela", really?

No, that is a thing. Even in Canada, the age group one earlier from the Boy Scouts is Cub Scouts, and their leaders use the names of Jungle Book characters, with Akela being the leader. So those are the kids not old enough to be scouts yet.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jungle_Book_and_Scouting

It was a thing in the BSA as well. I don't remember the particulars because jesus gently caress that was the early 90s when I was a cub scout. But I have distinct memories of it, and a lot of pseudo-Native guff.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
All this willful ignorance of what it means to have a statue on public land is really getting to me. It's like they didn't get any kind of civic education at all and then never bothered to look it up as adults.

Edit: seriously, using public money to promote a failed rebellion? I can't believe that went on for as long as it did.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 13, 2020

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

He's right. Aim higher.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

FFT posted:

not to defend Bok by any means but that is a tornado, not a hurricane.

sweeping in kinda at random is what tornados are known for
either way this movement is anything but random, it's targeting very specific things, as the comic itself points out, so using a force of nature known to be random as a metaphor is race baiting at best.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Broelman:

Scott Morrison sorry for 'no slavery in Australia' claim and acknowledges 'hideous practices' (Guardian).
As part of his push to say the protests are taken over by left-wing agendas, Morrison said on the radio that there was no slavery in Australia. After many commentators pointed out Australia's history of slavery Morrison was asked by a journalist about his opinion on "blackbirding" (where South Sea Islanders were forced to work on Queensland plantations), Morrison said he didn't want to get into the "history wars".

Leak, Son of Leak:

Rowe 1:

A lot of media in the last day or two have been pointing out the inconsistency of the talk from Morrison about throwing open state borders, shops, football etc. and his stance on the health risk of BLM protests.

Rowe 2:

Rowe 3:

Zanetti:

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

These strawpeople go down pretty easy once you start swinging.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

:crossarms:

...Hattie McDaniel?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Manuel Calavera posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jungle_Book_and_Scouting

It was a thing in the BSA as well. I don't remember the particulars because jesus gently caress that was the early 90s when I was a cub scout. But I have distinct memories of it, and a lot of pseudo-Native guff.
Be glad you didn’t deal with Order of the Arrow, where the real Native appropriation and fetishizing begins.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

InsertPotPun posted:

either way this movement is anything but random, it's targeting very specific things, as the comic itself points out, so using a force of nature known to be random as a metaphor is race baiting at best.

As long as you're right, I guess?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Discendo Vox posted:

:crossarms:

...Hattie McDaniel?

Stupid cancel culture making Netflix remove Gone With The Wind! How can you cancel the movie that gave an African American an Oscar, just because it glorifies slave owners, the Confederacy, and that Jim Crow laws were necessary, that’s no good reason at all

- a willfully dense cartoonist

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

If they can't spread the virus then they're not carriers. If I were a medical expert and someone asked me such a loving stupid question at a presser I'd be saying "What?" as well.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Americans legitimately are stupid enough to conflate having two million dollars net worth with having several hundred billion, so...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Jedit posted:

If they can't spread the virus then they're not carriers. If I were a medical expert and someone asked me such a loving stupid question at a presser I'd be saying "What?" as well.

No, this is specifically referring to a study about asymptomatic people, who never show symptoms of the virus, versus presymptomatic people, who will eventually show symptoms of the virus. Presymptomatic people spread the virus more than asymptomatic people, who barely spread it at all. It's not a sealed deal, but it makes it very unlikely that we'll miss some major disease spreader if we only start tracing from people who display symptoms. It still means you should keep modestly isolating and wearing a mask if you're not feeling ill because who knows, you might be presymptomatic.

But if you try to talk about it without using medical terminology, your first thought is to go to "people without symptoms can't spread the virus" which isn't technically true, so AHAH BIG SCIENCE IS TRYING TO FOOL US ALL ONLY BLEACH MIRACLE MINERAL SOLUTION IS THE CURE!

bartok
May 10, 2006

skeleton warrior posted:

Stupid cancel culture making Netflix remove Gone With The Wind! How can you cancel the movie that gave an African American an Oscar, just because it glorifies slave owners, the Confederacy, and that Jim Crow laws were necessary, that’s no good reason at all

I feel a lot of people mad about HBOMax removing Gone with the Wind are the same ones that get way too upset about how they don't show the old racist cartoons anymore.

Knuckle Sammich
May 4, 2009

skeleton warrior posted:

Also ignoring the fact at the time she won the Oscar she was only allowed in the whites-only hotel as a favour, had to sit at a segregated table off to the side of everyone else, and couldn't go to the afterparty at the whites-only club.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

UZworm posted:

Americans legitimately are stupid enough to conflate having two million dollars net worth with having several hundred billion, so...

Which always confuses the heck out of me, aren't nearly all US-citizens in debt? From experience I know you can't really deal with how slow about 100k€ can be paid back on a good, but still limited income, without realizing two million are really nothing and a billion is basically unlimited money.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pants Donkey posted:

Be glad you didnt deal with Order of the Arrow, where the real Native appropriation and fetishizing begins.

Oh trust me I got put off by the one OA ceremony I saw. Everyone sitting there silent as some white boy in feathers and such just stalks around, clapping hands on random shoulders, "YOU have been chosen." And then that boy goes off and remains silent for the rest of that night when they came back to the campsite. That weirded me the gently caress out.

And then young Manny grew up and had thoughts at the back of her mind for the next decade and some and eventually clicked she's trans. I still have my Eagle though. Ain't giving that up, I worked hard goddammit.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Manuel Calavera posted:

Oh trust me I got put off by the one OA ceremony I saw. Everyone sitting there silent as some white boy in feathers and such just stalks around, clapping hands on random shoulders, "YOU have been chosen." And then that boy goes off and remains silent for the rest of that night when they came back to the campsite. That weirded me the gently caress out.

And then young Manny grew up and had thoughts at the back of her mind for the next decade and some and eventually clicked she's trans. I still have my Eagle though. Ain't giving that up, I worked hard goddammit.
The initiation is a day of silence without eating, and you largely sit through creepy faux-Native ceremonies and build your campsite. I never wanted anything to do with them, but my dad pushed me into it.

Also, high five trans eagle. They said eagle scouts can be anything, so I became a rad lady.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

bartok posted:

I feel a lot of people mad about HBOMax removing Gone with the Wind are the same ones that get way too upset about how they don't show the old racist cartoons anymore.

Hey I am mad about removing a movie that shows American white southerners as either super dumb and selfish or super evil and selfish.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Pants Donkey posted:

Also, high five trans eagle. They said eagle scouts can be anything, so I became a rad lady.

Trans scouts represent :):hf::):hf::)

I even became a leader before transitioning, now I'm working to educate other scouting groups on gender issues. Livin' the dream.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Boris Johnson's opposition to removing statues — Boris Johnson said removing statues of controversial figures is ‘to lie about our history’ as he argued that national protests in the wake of the death of George Floyd in the US had been taken over by extremists"

Telegraph:

Protests threat to Churchill statue shameful, says Boris Johnson

Matt:

Independent:

After Norman Rockwell.

The i paper:

Calamitous GDP figures show UK economy has fallen off a cliff

Times:

Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on... Winston Churchill's statue being boarded up

Stephen Collins:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I wonder how much Jeff Bezos alone fucks up that "Average 1%er" number.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

FFT posted:

As long as you're right, I guess?
what a weird loving stand to take.
i apologize for misidentifying the tornado. i fully admit that i was wrong and it is not a hurricane.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Johnny Walker posted:

I wonder how much Jeff Bezos alone fucks up that "Average 1%er" number.

Assuming there's three million 1%ers, by like fifty thousand dollars?

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Army, Navy, FBI.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Assuming there's three million 1%ers, by like fifty thousand dollars?
Yeah, I guess a better question is how much the top 1% of the top 1% warps that average, but perhaps it's all pretty negligible after all. I have just grown to always find averages suspect.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 13, 2020

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Collins is just a delight.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Is anyone actually up in arms about paw patrol? I've only seen conservatives going on about it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

look i'm just going to put my ignorance out here and let you, the internet, bear the responsibility of educating me. isn't the whole story of gone with the wind the idea that the confederacy was a bunch of very fine people just trying to live their lives and were unfairly crushed by the union because of mumble mumble and that they were left poor and destitute, just trying to rebuild and that they should be pitied

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 13, 2020

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

RodShaft posted:

Is anyone actually up in arms about paw patrol? I've only seen conservatives going on about it.

The worst I've seen anyone "go after" Paw Patrol is to tweet at the account with stuff like "so how much are you donating to BLM." If anyone's feeding into it, it's only because of the breathless derangement of "they want to make the cartoon police dog ILLEGAL!!" takes.

Yeah dude, I'm sure the head of the family depicted as so exaggeratedly inclusive and progressive that "actually I'm a moderate" Carmen said she'd rather take her chances in ICE custody than spend time with them is definitely ALWAYS saying poo poo like that.

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 13, 2020

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

RodShaft posted:

It's literally just dumb twitter jokes about the cop dog being a class traitor and poo poo, but conservatives are so starved for actual content or arguments as the police continue to show their entire rear end on the internet day in and day out that pretending the libs are legitimately mad about children's cartoons is all they've got.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

UZworm posted:

It's literally just dumb twitter jokes about the cop dog being a class traitor and poo poo, but conservatives are so starved for actual content or arguments as the police continue to show their entire rear end on the internet day in and day out that pretending the libs are legitimately mad about children's cartoons is all they've got.

Yes, it's a blatant attempt to make anti-police protestors look heartless and evil while also, as a neat bonus, allowing them to cover something other than the hours of footage of cops deliberately committing atrocities just from the past couple of weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Mikl posted:

Trans scouts represent :):hf::):hf::)

I even became a leader before transitioning, now I'm working to educate other scouting groups on gender issues. Livin' the dream.

Did both girl and boy scouts. The true trans scout experience!

Cowcaster posted:

look i'm just going to put my ignorance out here and let you, the internet, bear the responsibility of educating me. isn't the whole story of gone with the wind the idea that the confederacy was a bunch of very fine people just trying to live their lives and were unfairly crushed by the union because of mumble mumble and that they were left poor and destitute, just trying to rebuild and that they should be pitied

I'll throw mine out there with yours and say that I thought I remembered the book having a too subtle message critical of the Lost Cause mythos, sort of a 'we need to stop remembering what was, and move the gently caress on with our lives' but that could also be some dubious academics' pet theory to soften it all.

The movie absolutely is 'poor, poor South enduring such misery for building a society on human bondage and then losing everything when they chose to go to war over it' though, so it deserves to have one tape go sit in the 'antifascist academics only' drawer with Birth of a Nation, and the rest can get chucked in a furnace.