Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Peacoffee posted:

I gotta say, the chud/nazi super gross transphobic angle on the game has created a fascinating scenario where there are now people preparing to hold axes over virtual dogs to stick it to the horrible nazis.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

I will in fact buy this game so that I can kill every dog in it

I will be the best player in the dog% speedrun

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Hwurmp posted:

half from column A, half from column B

they put aside their differences to lynch him together

makes u think

the circle of violence got turned upside down on that one

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Multiplayer dlc which lets you buy skins of famous dog characters from throughout history. Old Yeller, Lassie, etc and replace them in game.

e: Benji!. A special Dorothy outfit and Toto skins.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 13, 2020

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
The secret is Benji isn’t an enemy, he’s a silencer, like cats in Postal 2.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Peacoffee posted:

I gotta say, the chud/nazi super gross transphobic angle on the game has created a fascinating scenario where there are now people preparing to hold axes over virtual dogs to stick it to the horrible nazis.

Chuds who think The Last of Us Part II™ is sjw propaganda getting into heated arguments with chuds who think Kotaku is sjw propaganda.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Polygon posted:

Some of Ellie’s enemies have trained attack dogs, and it’s hard to avoid killing them. Even if you do manage to avoid it, though, there’s eventually a cutscene with a quick-time event that forces you to kill a dog, to hear the animal’s sharp, confused yelp as you smash her skull in with a metal pipe.

That wouldn’t be enough suffering, however. Naughty Dog has to make sure you feel horrible, so you’re later treated to a flashback in which you play fetch with that same dog, scritching her behind her velvety little ears. If Naughty Dog makes you feel bad enough, maybe next time you won’t do ... the thing the game forces you to do?

Lmao

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Peacoffee posted:

oh im not going to play the game, doesnt interest me, been more in the mood for more optimistic stuff lately really

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

MJBuddy posted:

The hell you are. You won't shut the gently caress up about it.

posting is an extension of thinking

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Stux posted:

posting is an extension of thinking

Maybe you should think less.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

MJBuddy posted:

Maybe you should think less.

after all isn't the generation of our own consciousness just the brain posting to itself

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i post therefore i am

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

post more about the last of us and its critically acclaimed sequel The Last of Us: II and less about posters you don't like

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

also shut up about how badly you actuallly do want to kill the dogs

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Does anyone know how linear it is? I've heard there's more free roam than in the first.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
The whole loving point is that even if you dont want to kill the dogs you can't skip the cutscene about dog killing. You have to kill dogs because the game want you to know that yes dear player...dog killing Is bad.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Zeta Acosta posted:

The whole loving point is that even if you dont want to kill the dogs you can't skip the cutscene about dog killing. You have to kill dogs because the game want you to know that yes dear player...dog killing Is bad.

Hey, look, the developers have to make you feel miserable because we all know misery is art, ok?!

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Noam Chomsky posted:

Hey, look, the developers have to make you feel miserable because we all know misery is art, ok?!

And thats dumb because if a loving doberman wants to eat my face you are god drat right im going to blast his face off. What point the game Is even trying to make?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

oddium posted:

also shut up about how badly you actuallly do want to kill the dogs

No one has posted that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Starks fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 13, 2020

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Zeta Acosta posted:

And thats dumb because if a loving doberman wants to eat my face you are god drat right im going to blast his face off. What point the game Is even trying to make?

That Neil Druckman is the best game writer of all time! Of all time, baby!

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi

Noam Chomsky posted:

Maybe someone at naughtydog heard the phrase "suffering for your art" but interpreted it incorrectly.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Gabby_Jay posted:

Maybe someone at naughtydog heard the phrase "suffering for your art" but interpreted it incorrectly.

:perfect:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Whenever I encounter dog enemies in games I always let them chew me to death at least a couple times before begrudgingly doing what the game wants me to because they are good boys and girls and I love them all, even the ones that are programmed to do evil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si--_s4Aick

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The reason people feel uncomfortable killing dogs in games is pretty easy to understand imo. The dog has a simple animal brain and doesn't have the ability to process the 'why' of what it is told to do by the person it trusts. Its doggy brain doesn't function the same way as a human's, it'll do what it's told to do but it doesn't really understand so to speak. From what we've seen, ND has done it backwards by making you kill the dog FIRST and only THEN saying "why did you kill that dog, it doesn't understand nuance"

edit: And obviously none of it's real because it's just a video game and the video game dog is just a computer entity yadda yadda, but it's modeled after a real dog in behavior so it's reasonable to assume that its thoughts would be the same if it had them. Same goes for the human enemies that call each others' names, they don't really know each others' names but it's convincing enough that it doesn't really matter.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 13, 2020

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
It’s games like this that make me glad I’m a cat person. Nobody I know of has ever made a game where you have to kill cats and then feel bad about it afterwards.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Noam Chomsky posted:

Does anyone know how linear it is? I've heard there's more free roam than in the first.

That skillup reviewer said that there was one ~2-3 hour section in the first half of the game where you freely roam an entire city block, the rest of the game gives you multiple paths within a level to choose from but those paths are always in the same cardinal direction I.E going through a house vs walking down the alley next to it.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Zeta Acosta posted:

Turn the game console off.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

achtungnight posted:

It’s games like this that make me glad I’m a cat person. Nobody I know of has ever made a game where you have to kill cats and then feel bad about it afterwards.

You're right. And that would be SO much more satisfying.

Problem is, no one would feel bad afterwards.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Starks posted:

Good news, it’s literally one of the best reviewed games of all time.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I'm extremely upset that The Last Of Us Part II is now an objectively better game than Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
One of my favorite facts about industry accolades is that Shakespeare In Love won more Oscars than Alfred Hitchcock was ever nominated for

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

lurker2006 posted:

That skillup reviewer said that there was one ~2-3 hour section in the first half of the game where you freely roam an entire city block, the rest of the game gives you multiple paths within a level to choose from but those paths are always in the same cardinal direction I.E going through a house vs walking down the alley next to it.

All this means is that everyone is gonna backtrack 3/4 times so they can loot everything

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

achtungnight posted:

I wanna play that cyberpunk cat game.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Pylons posted:

Dogs Gone.

The Walking Dogs

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

oh poo poo someone leaked the ending

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWHx7peNbTs

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Whoa, I knew people warned me that it was violent but this is incredibly hosed up.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You just ruined it.