Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

I took the covid19 test today and it kind of sucks. They stick a thing pretty deep up your nose for a long time (10+ seconds) and your eyes start to water. They actually give you a kleenex in advance because people apparently cry a lot.

Did they do both nostrils for you? The second was worse since you knew what was coming. Not painful per se, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I needed to, but it was super uncomfortable. Guess I'd compare it to the sensation of getting pool water up your nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They just did my left nose. I'll probably do the test again if they offer an antibody test in the future. It's a drive through so it's pretty convenient but you still need to make an appointment.

E: welp i got texted the results and I am negative for Covid19. I almost wanted to have it so I can just get through it already. gently caress.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 08:12 on May 11, 2020

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Only half the warehouse team is here, so I feel like an extra sap for coming to work. This sucks. I wanna go home but there’s no way I can just not keep coming without it being awkward.

I applied for unemployment back at the beginning of April, but my claim is still processing. My two theories about the holdup is that I entered something about how the company was going through our sick leave until April 1st, and they’re looking at that, or that the temp agency that got me this job before the warehouse hired me on themselves last year is causing the holdup.

I had a nasal swab last fall, for a cough I had for more than a month unrelated to Covid, of course, and it went better than I thought, despite me being a huge baby about throat cultures. My dad is a the admin of a hospital microbiology lab, and after he came home one day from work, he just took a testing kit out and did it.
The next day at work I could still feel where the swab touched the back of my nasal cavity.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Mu Zeta posted:

I took the covid19 test today and it kind of sucks. They stick a thing pretty deep up your nose for a long time (10+ seconds) and your eyes start to water. They actually give you a kleenex in advance because people apparently cry a lot.

This is how the normal flu test works as well. The basically Human Blockhead you

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have never been tested for the flu in my life. I guess I'd been under the impression that there was zero reason to go to the hospital for a flu. I didn't even think there was any treatment except just resting in bed and drinking water at home.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Last time I’ll complain about this, for now: The social pressure that prevents me from saying that staying home is in fact better than going back to my job taking computer cords from a bulk box and putting them into individual packaging, which pays less than unemployment would if it was actually going through.

Over this mess, I had a remote interview for a job that took weeks to set up because the recruiters had trouble transitioning to working over Skype, and more often than not didn’t answer the phone or email. I was told I’d have a definitive call back two business days, and never got it despite following up.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 23:29 on May 11, 2020

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Dude, I could easily work myself up into a lather over the bullshit that is recruiters and contract jobs but I'll start the day off right with:
my coffee refuses to stay warm! :saddowns:
Is it just cold in here? Did I go into a fugue state and use not yet boiled water? Who knows?!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’m dumb, I was under the impression that the rules where you couldn’t collect unemployment if you were offered work were suspended or loosened, at least in blue states that aren’t actively trying to kill people, but apparently not. So I did not, in fact, “voluntarily accept a pay cut.” So if I’m concerned only about money, I made the best choice! Unless I get sick.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Ugh. I was going to get takeout from a local joint that just reopened, but I had a grocery delivery scheduled for this evening (actually yesterday, but it was delayed..) and figured I should actually make something at home tonight. I got a notification that my delivery was five minutes away, two hours ago. About half an hour ago they messaged me to say the order was delivered. The order was most definitely not delivered. Now it's almost 9pm and most places around here are closing up, so takeout isn't an option unless it's fast food. I really don't want fast food. :sigh:

Last time I had an order from these guys it was also supposed to be delayed.. except it just never showed up. I'm trying to be patient because coronavirus is loving with all sorts of shipping and logistics, but that's two weeks in a row they just hosed off and didn't deliver anything. And the week before that my order was missing something, which they replaced with a stick of polenta. Like what the gently caress am I going to do with that? I got a refund for the last box they didn't deliver but they never responded to my polenta issues. Looks like I'm going to have to cancel this poo poo and brave going to the grocery store instead.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My one eye floater that hasn't been around for a while has decided to return.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Was a good morning. Then I got home from Costco, and everything exploded in about twenty minutes.

Was dealing with computer issues the same time my mom decided to text me up a storm about my trip to Costco (fun fact, despite it being national news you must wear a mask inside, I saw two people walk past the guard/card checker without masks on), my friend B responded finally to my text if he needed any extra lettuce for his animals, and I was working on an aquarium siphon that would not keep pressure.

Oh, and trying to google why my car jerked loving hard when driving today, and the check engine light came on and then off. My usual mechanic isn't open right now either, great.

B says he is out for a while but will text me when he's close. he has been super paranoid about covid and the world ending so I told him I will leave the salad bag out on the porch table. He says awesome, thanks, he'll be by later. Then ten minutes later he texts me and says he'll over in about five minutes. Okay we went from be out a while to ten minutes, whatever. B is always late. I was planning to get a shower in and get some other poo poo done but ten minutes?

Well gently caress, I'm ready to get in the shower, so I decide gently caress it, just throw the poo poo out on the table. There's plants and poo poo on the porch so people on the street don't see the door easily, only if you're walking up the actual pavement to the door. In other words, I'm not wearing clothes as I peek the door open, and see the motherfucker walk up the driveway. He was texting me from the driveway. I slam the door, send him a pissed text asking in what world is he actually loving early for once, and to wait. He makes some flippant text back, so I wrap up, and throw the salad bags on the porch and text him to loving leave. He wants to know why we can't hang out a little bit and I tell him to gently caress off and not bother me for a while. He does not understand why the gently caress I'm angry. Don't loving change the meetup time and expect me to drop everything for you!

Amid this poo poo, my mom comes home with groceries, sees I'm having issues with the computer still, and keeps wanting me to explain what's wrong. The woman doesn't know how to put music on her iPod but is now a genius with IT somehow.

Two hours later, computer issue is resolved, B still seems mad I am irritated he can't keep track of time, and I realized I was too pissed off to take a nap earlier.

One of our managers has started group texting everyone at the end of the workday. I'm wondering if this classifies as harassment because everyone can see everyone's numbers and I've started getting spam calls since this poo poo started. If it was an emergency, I'd get it, but it's nothing but emoticons and screaming about what a great day we did and she hopes we are busier tomorrow.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I got worried while reading about how meat plants are shutting down so I went to the supermarket today. Hardly any customers were there and there were piles and piles of all kinds of meat and fish available. Plenty of eggs and flour around as well. Some cleaning products were gone but otherwise the news just seems to hype everything up. There is no meat shortage, gently caress off CNN. I bought giant pork loins and ribs and delicious chicken thighs.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm in a really annoying position where I don't know if I've finally found a job or not after months of looking that got all hosed up by the virus. Last week I had a phone interview, and yesterday I got an email from the agency saying they'll chase it for me and let me know but I still haven't heard anything at all. I'm hoping it'll finally be good news with the logic being that if I haven't got the job I'd probably have heard back by now and they mentioned they'd need to do a thorough background check so I'm hoping that the delay is waiting for that check to clear. More positive evidence is that they called on friday to confirm why I left my last job and if I failed the interview they probably wouldn't have bothered to call at all to check that, it's just frustrating to not know.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mu Zeta posted:

I got worried while reading about how meat plants are shutting down so I went to the supermarket today. Hardly any customers were there and there were piles and piles of all kinds of meat and fish available. Plenty of eggs and flour around as well. Some cleaning products were gone but otherwise the news just seems to hype everything up. There is no meat shortage, gently caress off CNN. I bought giant pork loins and ribs and delicious chicken thighs.

If there is a shortage, I’m sure that it is probably mostly due to panic-induced increased demand and not due to reduced supply. Cable TV really makes Boomers afraid of everything and rots their brains.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 13:59 on May 20, 2020

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Maybe. I went shopping on Monday (Costco and the grocery store) and both had limits on ground beef and pork purchases, ostensibly due to supply issues but maybe just to prevent hoarders.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I mean, I don’t have detailed knowledge of how the meat supply chain works, but almost certainly ‘the meat shortage’ will mostly be due to Baby Boomers buying 2x the meat they usually do as a response to a cable news story about how a meat packing plant shut down somewhere.

Production probably isn’t dropping by 50% or whatever—maybe it is something like a few percent. When all of the Baby Boomers fill up their freezers with meat that they might never actually eat, the shortage problem is probably mostly going to go away.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Hell, the only shifts i've been getting lately are at a Meat plant because they are one of the few places that aren't shutting down, at least in the UK, due to being a food company and therefore an essential business.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

silence_kit posted:

I mean, I don’t have detailed knowledge of how the meat supply chain works, but almost certainly ‘the meat shortage’ will mostly be due to Baby Boomers buying 2x the meat they usually do as a response to a cable news story about how a meat packing plant shut down somewhere.

Production probably isn’t dropping by 50% or whatever—maybe it is something like a few percent. When all of the Baby Boomers fill up their freezers with meat that they might never actually eat, the shortage problem is probably mostly going to go away.
It was funny here, because earlier in the panic, the local supermarket (before they started putting limits on stuff) was entirely out of meat (except the vegan fake meat :lol: ), but there was a butcher directly outside the supermarket that had plenty of fresh meats. It was really fun to see the ripple of panic buying go across different goods though - at one point, all the Spam was sold out. Who the gently caress is eating it in those quantities?? We never had an actual shortage here, just the usual issue with Just In Time inventory not predicting (or being able to fulfill) the massive buying sprees.

My FWP is having to go to work 5-6 days a week. Everyone else is talking about how they are taking up hobbies or getting cabin fever or whatever, but for me this is business as usual (though the commute was better, but getting steadily worse again). Other than not being able to go out much.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

silence_kit posted:

Production probably isn’t dropping by 50% or whatever—maybe it is something like a few percent.
Not for beef. Beef production in April down 21% year on year.

https://www.ers.usda.gov/webdocs/publications/98463/ldp-m-311.pdf?v=3042

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
My car battery died while I was at work. I eat lunch there for social distancing, and I’m pretty sure I turned everything off. It’s getting up there in age though.

Anyway, it took three hours for State Farm to get someone out there to give me a jump. About two hours in, they switched tow companies, which I think added half an hour to the time.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
My wife made spicy beef last night and it was amazing but now I have spicy poops :saddowns:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Sounds delicious!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I took a sip of milk today and it's clearly gone bad. Now I don't feel super welll, which I know is my brain playing tricks on me, but it still sucks.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm happy to still have a job but someone high ranking keeps throwing work at me, stuff that's not my responsibility and telling me to "figure it out".

We're not hurting for people. No one has gotten laid off. I'm not sure why he's acting like this.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

silence_kit posted:

In the US it's also related to a few of the big plants having to shut down because of mass infections of Covid.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

In the US it's also related to a few of the big plants having to shut down because of mass infections of Covid.

My point is that the shortage is probably created more by panic-induced buying than actual loss of production due to COVID-19.

Apparently, in The Case of Beef, I might be wrong, WithoutTheFezOn posted that beef production is down 21% in the month of April this year when compared with previous years.

But I still suspect that most of the reason why it can sometimes be hard to buy meat at the grocery store has more to do with public perception to the production shortage and the subsequent overreaction than the actual production shortage itself. Old people saw a news story on CNN or Fox News with hyperbolic commentary about a meat packing plant closing due to COVID-19, freaked out, and decided to buy 2x the amount of meat they usually do.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yup. Just saying that it was also due to actual shutdowns.

My fwp is that I finally have the cash to get an Xbox one x and a decent sale is going on, and I can't find any of the fuckers in stock anywhere.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I haven't played a game (Satisfactory) in just long enough that there's been a bunch of New Stuff going on, to say nothing of the fact that I've mostly forgotten how to play anyway, so it's basically a new game without having to spend any money on it! yay!

So I'll just update the launcher... except I wind up having to reinstall it because it won't load. Understandable, since it's been ages since I've loaded it and it probably is having one of those better-to-just-reinstall-the-launcher-anyways situation. Plus I'll need to reset my password to the thing because it's been long enough that I can't remember what my password is... Now that that's done, I'll just load the game and...

... gently caress, I think down I don't want to play it anyway. I got like into step .25 of Step One and... nah, not super interested. Phooey.

And I can't even remember what the defeated-version-of-:viggo: icon is.

Oh, and I don't know if this counts as a FWP or just one of those "well poo poo, now I can't unsee it" things, but I decided to put on my copy of 1984 (the one starring John Hurt) and half in passing my partner says "Hey, she kinda looks like my sister", and now I can't unsee it and it's low key messing with me. Like, every scene my brain goes "hey its Autumn!"

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 06:26 on May 23, 2020

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
What is the feeling called when you're bored as hell at home and don't want to go to work because you're essential, and hate the fact time keeps passing and then suddenly it's a workday and everything sucks?

Is it adulthood? Does it pass?

FWP: Tuesday part of our 20some year old RV gate fell down. I was able to make the wood plank somewhat upright, and went out the next day to get screws to put it back together. Mom had the better idea that we'd get all new wood plants, varnish and seal them, remove and toss the old ones, oh and we need paint for the metal gate itself, and then put up the brand new shiny planks! Okay, there goes the holiday weekend.

So yesterday we hit Home Depot, she will get the wood we need and the spray paint for the metal gate. I will get the screws and varnish. But I can't find the right screws (finally I find the right size), she keeps texting me to have someone come back to cut the wood (she did bring one of our planks so we get the right dimensions) and I cannot find just varnish, but lots of different paints. Oh, turns out she does want a special paint, varnish is just what she calls it (okay?). So we buy everything, head home, we of course need to take a break for breakfast, and then start painting the new planks. Two or three coats is what she wants, but I end up doing 14 of the 16 planks while she finishes 2. We take a break to let it all dry, and then she heads for a nap, so I headed back out and added another coat on every plank. Looks great!

But when Mom comes out to look them over, all she can find are the small flecks I missed and some streak areas. This paint apparently is going to last another 20 years, IF we do another 2-3 coats. I tell her to piss off, I am done loving painting, so she does another coat on half of the planks, then calls it good.

Okay, this morning! We remove all the old planks and spray paint the metal gate. Or try to. Can't have streaks when we spray paint!

Problem. She only bought one can of spray paint. The ones I have for my art projects are "too white" and "not enough cream" to match. So back she goes to Home Depot while I do some yardwork. All she needs are some paint cans, how long can it take?

30 loving minutes because she had to look in the garden shop for new cactus. Okay, back to spray paint. We paint a full coat over the gate, let it sit for half an hour, it's all dry, all right, let's get the new planks up and in, this will take maybe 30 minutes!

The new planks do not fit. She did not measure them at the store, or even against the one plank she had the Home Depot guy measure from. Not a single loving multi-painted coat plank fit. She advises we use a mallet to make them fit.

Thankfully this also does not work.

So after four or five hours of work, we end up having to put up the old planks again, but the wood is so warped and old half the screws don't fit anymore, so we have to drill new holes.

Now the gate is exactly the same as before, save for the one plank we did manage to make fit, and spray painted white. My mom, looking over the mess, sighed and said she'll just order a whole new gate and get it installed because we can't make the new planks fit, and all the paint and all the work was for nothing.

Not for nothing. I learned when doing a project, it loving helps to know the basics of what you need, including MEASURING THE loving WOOD YOU WANT TO REPLACE.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Can you post pictures because it clear from your description neither one of you is qualified to build something and I just want to know what you did.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
This is remind me I’m due for a re-reading of the bathroom joists thread.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Atticus_1354 posted:

Can you post pictures because it clear from your description neither one of you is qualified to build something and I just want to know what you did.

I should have taken before and after pics but sadly did not. Now the gate looks exactly the same as it did before minus the new paint on the metal frame.

I am not a builder at all, have no experience with this poo poo, and probably the fast screw job would have done nothing but delay the need to replace the entire thing, but my mom used to work with contractors/basic home repair so I trusted her drat judgement.

Just mad because what should have been a few hours' of work spread out over the weekend (or less had we just paid someone to do it in the first place, which was my idea) because my mom, bless her soul, thought we could do a project because she thought "oh, it will look SO nice once we get it done and every day look at it and know we did it and didn't pay someone else to."

Her other thought was to just spraypaint the wood so it would match the white metal frame. Showing her how fast loving old wood absorbs spray paint hopefully made her change her mind.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My first world problem is that I built a PC like 6 months ago and now when I play ps4 with friends my eyes strain because they aren’t used to how choppy everything is.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I've been unemployed for about three months now due to the pandemic, and while money isn't presently an issue, unemployment benefits don't last forever. I'm waffling on whether or not to find a new job, or wait and hope that one of my employers will be able to reopen soon. I have pretty stellar seniority at both jobs so I have no doubt they'll find some hours for me once they do reopen, it's just a matter of when.

Meanwhile, I've been looking online for temp work and applying for other jobs with one of my current employers, as not all of their locations are shut down, but no luck so far. Tonight I saw a couple of recent postings for jobs with my current employer, but it was on a third-party site that just redirected to the employer's website, which had no mention of those jobs. Or anything else I'm remotely qualified for. Got my hopes up for nothing. :sigh:

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
I was reading the "Why was your day lovely today?" thread and now I suddenly need to go hug my mum.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I really wish I cared more about my family.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Fucks sake, if I tell you to please speak up because I can't hear you over your truck engine, actually raise your drat voice! Repeating yourself in the same mumble level is just being a dick. Usually the truckers are really good about this, what the hell is with today.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Fucks sake, if I tell you to please speak up because I can't hear you over your truck engine, actually raise your drat voice! Repeating yourself in the same mumble level is just being a dick. Usually the truckers are really good about this, what the hell is with today.

He said "15 dollars too beaucoup", hth.

E: My fwp is that selling my house is taking longer than I hoped.

Mzuri has a new favorite as of 19:32 on Jun 15, 2020

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I swear to God I (or my partner) have the ability to create a small 1-inch-or-so beetle/bug in my place just by mentally saying to myself "I haven't seen one of those bugs in a while, awesome!".

We're not the cleanest of peoples, sure, but we're not "leave enough poo poo out that beetles are capable of forming out of loving nowhere" levels. Unless the small pile of shorts and hoodies we should eventually wash and put away has a beetle nest in it, and neither of us wants to even consider that a possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I wish Youtube would tell me why it's recommending a video. I might actually click on the 45 minutes "Zach's Gun Rants Compilation" if I knew who Zach was, or who mikeburnfire was (from his name, I'm guessing a caveman), or why the video was there. Is it related to my watching stuff about videogames? My binge watching of Forgotten Weapons? Who knows? Just watch it, the algorithm has spoken!