Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeaGoatSupreme
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
1: do you have anywhere to be tonight? If yes, go to 2. If no, go to 4.

2: can you get an Uber? If yes, go to 4. If no, go to 3.

3: do you want to cancel? If yes, go to 4. If no, go to 4.

4: drink up buddy you earned it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

I'm taking a break from drinking too. I went to the first year anniversary party for a brewery in Kyoto. The name is Yamorido, and yamori means Gecko. So they had gecko shaped cookies.

I'm feeling very iffy about my work situation, I'm not sure what's happening in some ways. Lots of conflicting information and it doesn't feel good

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jun 13, 2020

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Oh man now I'm remembering an old Yamaha keyboard I used to have as a kid and the demo song was Billie Joel's "just the way you are" but it was performed by all these different piano voices that sounded nothing like their source instruments because 80's and I'm cracking myself up.

And that's enough from me tonight!

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Finger Prince posted:

So there was a bee hive on the roof of the building across from me. It disappeared a while back. Well today it's back and it brought a friend! Two beehives chilling on the roof. What do you think happened? The one was gone for at least a month or two. Maybe taken back to bee HQ during the lockdown?

Oh, Beehive!
- Austin Power movie

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

Escape From Noise

Looks like I'm going to need to buy a new laptop. You orbs have any suggestions? I don't need anything super high spec. I'd like a PC. I have a Lenovo right now, which I was pretty happy with. Maybe something with a larger screen for watching movies and shows. Not a fan of touch screens.

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Looks like I'm going to need to buy a new laptop. You orbs have any suggestions? I don't need anything super high spec. I'd like a PC. I have a Lenovo right now, which I was pretty happy with. Maybe something with a larger screen for watching movies and shows. Not a fan of touch screens.

this is a very personal decision and i don't know your lifestyle well enough to pretend i have the answer but i have found this lenovo thinkpad t450s to be the finest posting implement i have ever laid my hands upon

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

Escape From Noise

owlhawk911 posted:

this is a very personal decision and i don't know your lifestyle well enough to pretend i have the answer but i have found this lenovo thinkpad t450s to be the finest posting implement i have ever laid my hands upon

Sounds good! I think that might be what I have. I got some liquid on it and the keyboard started acting weird, then it was fine, now today it's back to acting weird. So RIP. It's about 5 years old anyways, so I was probably going to have to replace it sooner or later.

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Sounds good! I think that might be what I have. I got some liquid on it and the keyboard started acting weird, then it was fine, now today it's back to acting weird. So RIP. It's about 5 years old anyways, so I was probably going to have to replace it sooner or later.

another key advantage of the lenovo thinkpad is its modular design and ease of serviceability, a new keyboard will be $30-50 if you choose to go that route and here's a nice guide from ifixit

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

wearing a lampshade

Lenovo's are solid

Goons Are Gifts

Stoner Sloth posted:

Aah venom!

also Hector's species is the most lethal of any scorpion in terms of numbers of people actually killed so please stay safe GAG! (seriously it's often recommended that this kinda scorp is only handled by professionals - so please be extra, extra careful, several people a year die from their sting) LD 50 is definitely below 1 mg/kg so doesn't take much to ruin you're day

Ya I did quite some reading on the aaHIT (lol) venom, the latest number for LD50 I found was from a publication that went with 0.44mg/kg, so it revolves around 0.3 to 0.8mg/kg depending on what source you cite, the newer ones seem to go down a bit. Given he is able to produce around two drops of venom per sting, a fully grown one can release up to 10mg of venom in a best/worst case scenario, yeah that's very lethal.

I was actually preparing to get myself Pandina Imperator with a rather you know, chill venom and a larger body, as his enclosure is very big, but for some reason getting the literally most dangerous scorpion there is, is not only completely unregulated in it seems like all of Europe, it also is drat easy. Like, it's easier to get those around here than the less deadly ones and the guy I got Hector from did, to be honest, not know a lot about scorpions at all. He accidentally had them get babies and wanted to get rid of them, so I took one from him, as he planned to kill the rest. I managed to arrange a deal with the university I work for to rescue them along with the mom scorpion (dad was killed after impregnation, you know, normally you wouldn't do stuff like that) and also we got some other illegal herp he had there.

So yeah this was less than ideal and not really planned, but I looked my stuff up and was instructed by one of our biology professors, so I hope I'm up for the challenge and also always have an out if it turns out I'm not.

Let that be a warning for all, don't get pets and especially don't breed pets if you don't know what you're doing. At least not venomous ones. :v:

Goons Are Gifts

vanisher posted:

I hope you are okay, feelings are the worst

Please identify where your feelings are on this scale thank you

150 for the past 24 years

Goons Are Gifts

Finger Prince posted:

So there was a bee hive on the roof of the building across from me. It disappeared a while back. Well today it's back and it brought a friend! Two beehives chilling on the roof. What do you think happened? The one was gone for at least a month or two. Maybe taken back to bee HQ during the lockdown?

It might be possible that it's the same hive, but it's swarming, so they split the hive up. Maybe they wanted to kvor elsewhere but were unhappy with the result, so they came back and decided to swarm from the roof, resulting in what looks like two hives, one that stays and one that will move out soon-ish.
It is rather rare of them to return to an originally abandoned nest, but it might as well be that it's a different hive that also just happens to swarm now.

Or they're planning something big. Bee world takeover??

Goons Are Gifts

Hello gullnado my friends! Enjoy your breakfast!

Dixville

I don't think!
It's 3 am and I'm awake with heartburn cause i chose to drink last night but you know what it was worth it

Dixville

I don't think!
Also i work today lol oh well

Ass-penny

Goons Are Great posted:

I was actually preparing to get myself Pandina Imperator with a rather you know, chill venom and a larger body, as his enclosure is very big, but for some reason getting the literally most dangerous scorpion there is, is not only completely unregulated in it seems like all of Europe, it also is drat easy. Like, it's easier to get those around here than the less deadly ones and the guy I got Hector from did, to be honest, not know a lot about scorpions at all. He accidentally had them get babies and wanted to get rid of them, so I took one from him, as he planned to kill the rest. I managed to arrange a deal with the university I work for to rescue them along with the mom scorpion (dad was killed after impregnation, you know, normally you wouldn't do stuff like that) and also we got some other illegal herp he had there.ially don't breed pets if you don't know what you're doing. At least not venomous ones. :v:

:popeye: drat you a straight G!

Dixville posted:

It's 3 am and I'm awake with heartburn cause i chose to drink last night but you know what it was worth it

I hear you on the heartburn drinkin fronts. It's 5:30 here, I need to crash soon, I work tomorrow too. I gather you do something substantially more serious than what I do, I've seen your selfies with scrubs and stuff. Good luck at work tomorrow, friend.

I hope everyone is having a cool Saturday.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

nut

no time for sleep arise u hung over yobbers it’s post o’clock

nut

imagine being not only the greatest toxin tamer in all of Europe but also a byob mod

Stoner Sloth

vanisher posted:

I hope you are okay, feelings are the worst

Please identify where your feelings are on this scale thank you

im english & old english

Goons Are Great posted:

Ya I did quite some reading on the aaHIT (lol) venom, the latest number for LD50 I found was from a publication that went with 0.44mg/kg, so it revolves around 0.3 to 0.8mg/kg depending on what source you cite, the newer ones seem to go down a bit. Given he is able to produce around two drops of venom per sting, a fully grown one can release up to 10mg of venom in a best/worst case scenario, yeah that's very lethal.

I was actually preparing to get myself Pandina Imperator with a rather you know, chill venom and a larger body, as his enclosure is very big, but for some reason getting the literally most dangerous scorpion there is, is not only completely unregulated in it seems like all of Europe, it also is drat easy. Like, it's easier to get those around here than the less deadly ones and the guy I got Hector from did, to be honest, not know a lot about scorpions at all. He accidentally had them get babies and wanted to get rid of them, so I took one from him, as he planned to kill the rest. I managed to arrange a deal with the university I work for to rescue them along with the mom scorpion (dad was killed after impregnation, you know, normally you wouldn't do stuff like that) and also we got some other illegal herp he had there.

So yeah this was less than ideal and not really planned, but I looked my stuff up and was instructed by one of our biology professors, so I hope I'm up for the challenge and also always have an out if it turns out I'm not.

Let that be a warning for all, don't get pets and especially don't breed pets if you don't know what you're doing. At least not venomous ones. :v:

oh absolutely on the last bit - but yeah, good on you for saving as many as you can

when i worked at a venom supply place we got a shipment of sneks that someone had smuggled into the country (which still is mind boggling to me, it's like smuggling ice to the arctic) so we got a gaboon viper (funnily enough very easy to milk em for anti-venom with those huge gently caress off fangs) and a bunch of other non-native snakes. was fortunate cause otherwise they would have killed the lot of them but instead they went on to have pretty pampered lives and produced lots of antivenom for some of the less wealthy countries so happy ending to it at least

weird about the regulations being more stringent over less deadly scorps but i suppose it's possible that they're more likely to escape/be viable to live in the local environment if they escape than a desert scorpion?

either way Hector is cool af and please send pics if and when you get more excellent claw buddies!!

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

I'm in this picture and I don't like it.

Just kidding.

Goons Are Gifts

Stoner Sloth posted:

im english & old english

oh absolutely on the last bit - but yeah, good on you for saving as many as you can

when i worked at a venom supply place we got a shipment of sneks that someone had smuggled into the country (which still is mind boggling to me, it's like smuggling ice to the arctic) so we got a gaboon viper (funnily enough very easy to milk em for anti-venom with those huge gently caress off fangs) and a bunch of other non-native snakes. was fortunate cause otherwise they would have killed the lot of them but instead they went on to have pretty pampered lives and produced lots of antivenom for some of the less wealthy countries so happy ending to it at least

weird about the regulations being more stringent over less deadly scorps but i suppose it's possible that they're more likely to escape/be viable to live in the local environment if they escape than a desert scorpion?

either way Hector is cool af and please send pics if and when you get more excellent claw buddies!!

I do not like the idea at all to see our fellow animal friends as venom or antidote supplies just because they happen to produce them naturally, but I'd take a rescue operation for a bunch of babies over killing them all for no reason any time! I wish people wouldn't randomly import or breed them for no reason at all, so we wouldn't have to deal with it in the first place, but people being people :smith:

Nah there is no logic behind the lack of regulations at all. Animal regulation is a matter of the state, not federal law and thus we have 16 different laws for that, none of which cover certain highly venomous animals. There are massive restrictions for bigger animals, it is completely illegal (unless you got a zoo-level permit) to own tigers, crocodiles and the like (looking at you tiger king fans), also it is illegal to own snakes like Boa Constrictor and other that can overpower you via sheer strength, as well as monkeys etc. etc. we got all bases covered there.
However, in my state, there is a law called the "Venomous animal act" and it hilariously doesn't include any venomous animals at all, except for certain big reptiles that also produce venom like monitor lizards.
There was an incident last year where a monocled cobra, naja kaouthia, escaped and for like four days police, firefighters and animal experts had to evacuate several houses while searching for her, as the surrounding hospitals all had no antidote ready to go and had to import it from China (lol) which took a couple of days. They found her and nothing bad happened, but it was just this incident that led to lawmakers to rethink the laws behind venomous animals here. They made a new law but it didn't get passed yet due to postponing because you know, virus stuff.

Like, don't get me wrong, I love Hector and I wouldn't want to give him away again and I truly love the excitement and fascinating nature of him and other venomous animals, but I would have absolutely no problem to at least register him or prove that I know about him before I'm allowed to get him. Another state has a law where you have to register venomous animals so that your next hospital has a register of them nearby and knows where to get antidote just in the very, very rare case where someone here does get hit by them.
It's crazy to think in my state you have to register and prove that you know stuff when you get certain types of dogs, but I could own a herd of death adders without telling anyone.

Goons Are Gifts

Sorry I almost got a bit political there, let's take venom chat to toxin crew! Wanna post Hector there anyways

nut

i tried it on my own let us pray

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

nut posted:

i tried it on my own let us pray

goonspeed dear goon.

Sending thoughts and prayers for your freshly shorn noggin.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

biosterous

good morning orbs, i am glad to know you!

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

gmungo saturday people

----------------
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

Goons Are Gifts

What's for breakfast?

Doctor Dogballs

I was gonna ask you

----------------
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

vanisher

Cereal and coffee

mixed...

:evilbuddy:

nut

vanisher posted:

Cereal and coffee

mixed...

:evilbuddy:

tremendously effed

vanisher

Wait I'm the one who has to eat it I didn't think this through

Doctor Dogballs

whats you're'll's favorite limerick, short poem, etc.

----------------
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

Goons Are Gifts

I had a pear for breakfast, it was very juicy

vanisher

Goons Are Great posted:

I had a pear for breakfast, it was very juicy

Excellent short poem one of my favorites too

Goons Are Gifts

It's a haiku but with different rules

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Morning children, today I am eating a peach from the tree, the first ripe one, and it is delicious

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Tacos for breakfast today

:hellyeah:

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Kief Richards posted:

Morning children, today I am eating a peach from the tree, the first ripe one, and it is delicious
:woop: I don’t have a peach tree but I did raid my cousin’s plum tree a few weeks ago and they were delicious. Real, fresh plums and peaches are so many light years better than grocery store ones.

Doctor Dogballs posted:

whats you're'll's favorite limerick, short poem, etc.
There once was a guardsman at buckingham,
Who said ‘as for girls I hate loving ‘em,
But when I meet boys
Lord how I enjoys
Just licking their peckers and sucking ‘em’

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

:woop: I don’t have a peach tree but I did raid my cousin’s plum tree a few weeks ago and they were delicious. Real, fresh plums and peaches are so many light years better than grocery store ones.

There once was a guardsman at buckingham,
Who said ‘as for girls I hate loving ‘em,
But when I meet boys
Lord how I enjoys
Just licking their peckers and sucking ‘em’

They're good.

Both peaches and dicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

Kief Richards posted:

Millions of peaches
Peaches for free