Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I'm not sure why economic crisis leads to Boris resigning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

XMNN posted:

If there's one thing Tories loving love it's knifing their leader because the economy went too bad to ignore any more

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
yeah its pretty standard that they let him take the blame for how hosed things have got while they loot the place

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

XMNN posted:

Rats will attack each other when they're under stress.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I'm finding the destruction of statues very educational. I never before thought about who was on that huge plinth in St Andrews Square in Edinburgh and it turns out it's a tory called Henry Dundas who is best known for delaying slavery abolition by ~15 years and being impeached for embezzling public money. :killdozer:

ps
https://twitter.com/BigScottGibson/status/1270482469041602560

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i understand that flowchart tweet as a bit of fun not what will actually happen

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Doc Hawkins posted:

this i did not know

why were people not screaming about this every day for our entire lives

you had a slaver's pension

Because, as the past few days have made clear, a large portion of the population - when made aware of this fact for the first time - take it as a good thing. ":britain: Grate Britane nobly indebted itself for centuries to end slavery! This is probably why the Germans have a better economy than us! :britain:"

Not "we paid slave owners £billions to not make a fuss, thus funding large parts of our current economy with bribes to lovely people who stood to lose profits while giving zero fucks to the people who were actually enslaved."

But of course, it's apparently BAME people who have a victim complex...

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

bitterandtwisted posted:

I'm finding the destruction of statues very educational. I never before thought about who was on that huge plinth in St Andrews Square in Edinburgh and it turns out it's a tory called Henry Dundas who is best known for delaying slavery abolition by ~15 years and being impeached for embezzling public money. :killdozer:

ps

do not stick the times up any part of a dog

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

bitterandtwisted posted:

ps

always knew he was a wrong ‘un

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

it's not right when a dog looks down on men

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Is this a famous dog?

I have no idea.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dead Goon posted:

Is this a famous dog?

I have no idea.

It's a dog that sat by its owners grave for fourteen years after the owner died.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyfriars_Bobby

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

prefect posted:

It's a dog that sat by its owners grave for like sixteen years after the owner died.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyfriars_Bobby

No. No, I'm pretty sure it's Seymour from that Futurama episode, not a statue

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's a dog, so I think it's a fair assumption that he was a good boy who deserves a statue more than most any human.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cthulu Carl posted:

No. No, I'm pretty sure it's Seymour from that Futurama episode, not a statue

Now you've gone and made me sad. :(

(Also, now I want to watch all of Futurama again.)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

All all, or the first few seasons all?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jose posted:

he's already possibly facing a tory rebellion over just how badly he's handled coronavirus. they'll absolutely allow him to take the blame for no deal brexit first though

yeah theyr keeping boris til after brexit so they can crash out during like 200k roni deaths and then ceremonially dismember him as the scapegoat

alternately, all that stuff happens but he just stays cause gove fucks up the backstab again and theres no other mechanism to remove him

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Communist Thoughts posted:

yeah theyr keeping boris til after brexit so they can crash out during like 200k roni deaths and then ceremonially dismember him as the scapegoat

alternately, all that stuff happens but he just stays cause gove fucks up the backstab again and theres no other mechanism to remove him

A vote of confidence comes up and Starmer spearheads Boris' support.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Communist Thoughts posted:

i cannot imagine michael gove winning an election under any circumstances, he's such a freak

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

V. Illych L. posted:

i cannot imagine michael gove winning an election under any circumstances, he's such a freak
why the gently caress would you post that

why

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Brits will elect anything if the alternative is a thoroughly decent person who wants to make everyone's lives at least a little better.

I haven't seen much of Starmer, but my impression is that he's the kind of pod person who's allowed to get Labour votes-

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Samovar posted:

A vote of confidence comes up and Starmer spearheads Boris' support.

This is the funniest option possible and sadly the most likely one

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Brits will elect anything if the alternative is a thoroughly decent person who wants to make everyone's lives at least a little better.

I haven't seen much of Starmer, but my impression is that he's the kind of pod person who's allowed to get Labour votes-

That's not true. We elected Attlee, and he wanted things to be better. Of course, he achieved his improvements to the British way of life through the ruthless exploitation of our remaining colonies. What the British don't like is politicians who will admit that people in other countries have worth and are human

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's a dog, so I think it's a fair assumption that he was a good boy who deserves a statue more than most any human.

ah, but he has a statue somewhere in the uk, which means he was responsible for claiming territory for the empire by genociding a local tribe or something similar

Continuity RCP posted:

That's not true. We elected Attlee, and he wanted things to be better. Of course, he achieved his improvements to the British way of life through the ruthless exploitation of our remaining colonies. What the British don't like is politicians who will admit that people in other countries have worth and are human

it's simple. british people need brutality in their politics, and they don't really care if it's directed against them or against some foreigners

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Greyfriars Bobby owned a cannon foundry

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The story of Greyfriars Bobby faithfully waiting by his master's grave was made up by local merchants to attract tourists. The dog stayed in the graveyard because they were feeding it, and the statue isn't even of the original dog (they replaced it after it died).

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

marktheando posted:

The story of Greyfriars Bobby faithfully waiting by his master's grave was made up by local merchants to attract tourists. The dog stayed in the graveyard because they were feeding it, and the statue isn't even of the original dog (they replaced it after it died).

Wow thanks mister buzzkill, next you'll tell me that the Japanese railway cat didn't actually run the railway that well.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

V. Illych L. posted:

all of your opinions and commentary on brit politics have been so loving wrong so please shut the ever loving gently caress up

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
michael gove becoming pm is definitely what I would want to happen if the uk were a tv show rather than a real place that human beings live

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

redleader posted:

it's simple. british people need brutality in their politics, and they don't really care if it's directed against them or against some foreigners

it’s this. “the people voted for pain” is the greatest insight any British politician had had since thatcher’s “there is no such thing as society.” Britain is an island of savage morlocks hooting and jabbering for blood. in the absence of an empire to terrorize and pillage, they will terrorize and pillage themselves.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

all of your opinions and commentary on brit politics have been so loving wrong so please shut the ever loving gently caress up
i like his posts

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i feel as if i should clarify that that was more of a statement as to the freakishness of michael gove and not an assessment of the actual electability of a party under his leadership

i cannot imagine his winning an election because it is sincerely hard for me to understand who he appeals to, though it's clearly *someone*

perc2
May 16, 2020

Really, whats hard to understand

Traditional industry died, Thatcher psychotically advanced the transition rather than implementing real plans

Now because of that impact half the country doesn't know where it is supposed to get its livelihood from, trying to compete with the middle class for jobs involving computer (the middle class resent this)

Present Brexit as a way to not only placate the unrest but keep Tories in power, blame immigrants, etc

Similar poo poo repeat ad infinitum until capitalism finally explodes.

Nothing is even remotely surprising anymore

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It's not his wife at least

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

gove has a shady wing of media and dark doings behind him but so do like 2 other tory factions, kier is trying to get his own too. plus hes a fuckup and looks like a fish monster.
the media considers him very smart cause they're insanely loving stupid and intellectually (and sometimes genetically) inbred.
he seems inevitable but surely people can't vote for the oval office, aka bojo

priti patel could probably do it. she's mean, stupid and cruel so fits the party. the tories are actually far less concerned about women leaders than labour are so maybe they can also put aside their racism to vote for her. she's setting herself up as just as, if not more, racist as they are which is the go-to tactic for tory PoC MPs who want to get anywhere.
plus shes the only MP who doesn't look like an inhuman goblin

i think at some point gavin williamson will resurface and try to turn us into some kind of liberally-racist authoritarian military state. voters would love that

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

priti patel is hot, racist and spiteful as gently caress she'd do really well as leader most likely

gove is just too much of an alien for people to vote for i reckon

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the issue with patel imo is that she's not very tactically adroit

she has killer instinct, but she leaves herself open to getting blasted by others as in that weird diplomatic entrepreneurship fiasco. the only reason she's back is because johnson desperately needed everyone he could get with governmental experience and she's fine so long as she can be kept under control

any competent schemer should be able to put her out of commission if need be

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Is Priti Patel the one that advocated the death penalty on Question Time years ago and got absolutely destroyed by Ian Hislop?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

the issue with patel imo is that she's not very tactically adroit

she has killer instinct, but she leaves herself open to getting blasted by others as in that weird diplomatic entrepreneurship fiasco. the only reason she's back is because johnson desperately needed everyone he could get with governmental experience and she's fine so long as she can be kept under control

any competent schemer should be able to put her out of commission if need be

yeah but remember we've had theresa may as PM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1271794557097848834?s=20