Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Can’t wait until he drops the charges against himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Ani posted:

If you're going to raise outside capital you should be a Delaware corp (not an LLC). Also, while $10k isn't unreasonable for fees, most big firms with a startup practice will discount fees pretty significantly for startups, assuming your startup passes some minimum bar of not-suckiness, and will then recoup the fees after you raise capital.
Also, if you are minimally competent (ie, more than the idiot in the other law thread), the Orrick forms library is really helpful: https://www.orrick.com/Total-Access/Tool-Kit/Start-Up-Forms. It's definitely enough for a baby lawyer to help a friend out getting started with a startup.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Friend asked me interesting question:

Does the military get qualified immunity like cops? I.e. area 51 gets rushed by random stoners, they get machine gunned down, and estates sue the guards for wrongful death

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

Does the military get qualified immunity like cops? I.e. area 51 gets rushed by random stoners, they get machine gunned down, and estates sue the guards for wrongful death

Everyone working for the government gets qualified immunity.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

sullat posted:

Everyone working for the government gets qualified immunity.
One prominent example is that all medical professionals who work for the VA and the Indian Health Service are immune to individual malpractice suits. The VA & IHS actively advertise this as a perk to working there.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

mastershakeman posted:

If a member of the military is sued as a Bivens action (a Federal 1983 action) alleging a violation of constitutional rights, qualified immunity applies.
If the US is sued because of the actions of a military member under the Federal Tort Claims Act, there is no qualified immunity, though there are things like the discretionary function exception that are full defenses.
If a military member is killed or injured by a military member, there is full immunity.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

That fuckin owns

:hmmyes:

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

mastershakeman posted:

really bad. the industry is tiny and super gossipy and bad reviews on forums can ruin companies when they're starting out. I know there's specific countries where he basically just eats a high cost of shipping so as to prevent bitching about $25 shipping and that can wreck his margins, because he'd rather not get dragged. Same goes for his employees at trade shows- actually have to pay them well so they don't destroy you later. how uncivilized!

if he'd started out like 3 years prior he'd probably be making millions but by the time things got rolling the industry was incredibly crowded. I keep wondering at what point he's going to take the money and run since he puts in a ton of hours and hasn't made a cent.

it almost sounds like a personal injury firm model - do bread and butter launches/cases to stay in business and hope you get that one big fish

Gotcha. I'd assumed there wouldn't be any staff at all, but I guess there probably aren't consistent enough trade shows that traveling among them himself would be cost effective. Seems like a real labor of love.

stop double spacing it's 2020 boomer!!

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Local DA elections are wild.

Life comes at you fast.

That's fantastic.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

blarzgh posted:

O/U on how long until EW gets put back in free speech jail (bets must be in by 5:00pm CT)
- 36 hours

O/U on how long his next prob is for
- 25 hours

Ew if you're reading this pm me, I have an idea
You'll have to post in book barn though

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
June 11, 2:00pm CT for posterity
Betting is closed, everybody make sure to check the rap sheet at 2:00am Central.

We'll let the bet go on through the weekend to see if he does finally get popped, then we'll call it a push.

blarzgh posted:

O/U on how long until EW gets put back in free speech jail (bets must be in by 5:00pm CT)
- 36 hours

O/U on how long his next prob is for
- 25 hours

Grip it and rip it posted:

Over, under. The mods are simpering and weak.

Eminent Domain posted:

Under and over.

Vox Nihili posted:

Under, under.

Nice piece of fish posted:

I'm gonna go with a solid 7 day probie

Mr. Nice! posted:

Are these even money lines? I'd take the under on both, personally, unless the over is +200 or something larger.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Also the thread added 20 new pages in the last 24 hours, lol, and he hasn't posted in the last three pages and they're talking about polling data.

Not looking good for the unders!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Look Sir Droids posted:

I would ask what got him the proby, but I'm sure it was not at all offensive or spicy.

A pair of posters let the mask slip and acknowledged their only goal in the thread was to attack the very idea of participation in "bourgeois" elections and democratic political processes. Praxis as relentlessly and disingenuously attacking the dems and Biden and derailing as hard as possible until everyone else gives up.

It's like having a bunch of PETA members posting in the barbecue thread.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

don't do it nothing's worth that price

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hoshi posted:

Gotcha. I'd assumed there wouldn't be any staff at all, but I guess there probably aren't consistent enough trade shows that traveling among them himself would be cost effective. Seems like a real labor of love.

stop double spacing it's 2020 boomer!!

yeah it's a perfect setup of not being able to do trade shows full time, but also not being able to attend all the ones that do happen because he takes care of 3 kids and his wife would kill him even harder if he was gone every other weekend. also need more than one person to run the games/demos at the shows

oddly enough, covid boosted the industry pretty substantially. I didn't expect that since i'm very locked down, but most people are willing to mingle with their close friends and there's nothing else to really do. On top of that, his employees lucked out since they were part time independent contractors he laid off, and they then got the berniebucks ( i believe, I don't know the employees personally but they should have)

any double space i've ever made is merely a typo

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

blarzgh posted:

Also the thread added 20 new pages in the last 24 hours, lol, and he hasn't posted in the last three pages and they're talking about polling data.

I'm sure someone will throw the grenade in there soon enough.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

yeah it's a perfect setup of not being able to do trade shows full time, but also not being able to attend all the ones that do happen because he takes care of 3 kids and his wife would kill him even harder if he was gone every other weekend. also need more than one person to run the games/demos at the shows

oddly enough, covid boosted the industry pretty substantially. I didn't expect that since i'm very locked down, but most people are willing to mingle with their close friends and there's nothing else to really do. On top of that, his employees lucked out since they were part time independent contractors he laid off, and they then got the berniebucks ( i believe, I don't know the employees personally but they should have)

any double space i've ever made is merely a typo

Make sure he gets the PPP money. I think there's still a little money left and a little time left to apply. 8 weeks salary/health care/rent is nothing to sneeze at.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

blarzgh posted:

Hold on, I'll go post something truthful about Biden.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Post that Geralt of Rivea quote about "the lesser of two evils" but in the meme format

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I can get my own probations if I need them :mad:

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

evilweasel posted:

I can get my own probations if I need them :mad:

Dammit!

Just a day long probe.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

So that’s what, under under?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Teddybear posted:

Sweet sweet victory.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Although I think that's a weak rear end probation, but whatever.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Although I think that's a weak rear end probation, but whatever.

Forget it Mr. Nice, it's D&D

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Lol the tone police struck again. These mods are the loving worst.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 13, 2020

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Teddybear posted:

excellent, ill take my winnings in cash

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I like talking politics, especially on the Internet forums of something awful

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I am deeply disappointed that there was no betting on my probes, and thus no option for me to take a side payment to manipulate the outcome.

vvv that would make manipulating the outcome a lot harder, true.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 13, 2020

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I bet your probes make it all the way past your sigmoid

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Ding ding ding!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
This ridiculously aggressive tone is unwarranted and feeds into the venomous atmosphere of the thread. Cut it out. User loses posting privileges for 1 day.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
endless parade of twitter poisoned dorks posting a bottomless well of angry, raging cringe - nothing

evilweasel sincere madposting like the soyboy biglaw cultural elite he is - PROBATION YOU ARE JUDGED AND FOUND WANTING PROBATION PROBATION PROBATION

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
if only these dead, gay forums weren't the last, least stupid corner of the internet

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
also, a dude willing to risk his posting privileges to advance the theory that Biden is Not That Bad, Actually is a kind of interesting insight into current political moment

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
There was once a time on these here forums where posters earnestly supported the administration of one George W. Bush.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

He may not be the most intelligent person out there, but he'll surround himself with good, experienced people, like Rumsfeld and Cheney, who will steer him in the right direction

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Popero posted:

There was once a time on these here forums where posters earnestly supported the administration of one George W. Bush.

Yeah I remember the posts about how Iraq would be easy and you're a coward if you disagree

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Popero posted:

Then everyone got student loans and decided the world had wronged them, and only them, and they must exact revenge on ***The Establishment***.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

terrorist ambulance posted:

Yeah I remember the posts about how Iraq would be easy and you're a coward if you disagree

How long will it take to capture Baghdad? 2 days
Will Saddam be killed? Yes
Total Iraqi civillian casualties: 500 dead
Total military casualties Iraq: 3000 dead
Total military casualties U.S.: 15 dead
Will the Iraqi army regulars hold the lines? No
Will the Republican Guard fight to the end? No
Will chem/bio weapons be used on invading troops?: Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on the Kurds? Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on Israel? No
-If yes; will Isreal retaliate harshly? Yes
Will Saddam sacrifice Baghdad (gas/nuke it)? No
Will the Kurds make a grab for independence? Yes
Will Iran do anything silly like try for land? Yes
Will Saddam burn the oil fields? Yes
How long will the US be occupying Iraq? ~15 years
Will the Iraq war catalyze increased terrorism in America?No
In the long run, will this war be good or bad for the world? Good

We have to look at what those civilian casualties are- just because they're civilian doesn't make them innocent! Lets take a look at a few possibilities:

1) A civilian walking down the street to market gets killed by a cruise missile fired at the market.

2) A civilian asleep in their house is killed when their house is targetting by a smart bomb and blown up.

OK, these two are regrettable innocents being killed- but since the US doesn't make a habit of targetting markets or houses, they're very small in number!

3) A civilian working at a chemical weapon factory gets killed when the chemical weapon plant is bombed.

4) A civilian security guard at a weapons depot is killed when the weapons explode.

5) A civilian contractor repairing a tank is killed by a MOAB dropped on the unit.

6) A civilian engineer is killed when the military command center he works at is destroyed.

7) A civilian delivering snackiecakes to the baghdad bunker vending machines eats a 5,000lb bunker buster.

etc, etc. The list goes on. My point is that there are a lot of civilians directly supporting the military that aren't exactly "innocent" and would be mire rightly counted among the military casualties than civilian. I'm a civilian and work for the US military, but I acknowledge I'm also a valid military target because of what I do. And I think the vast majority of civilian casualties in this campaign will not be innocent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

That's the stuff.