Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

boar guy posted:

i mean the car is parked with the windshield pointing in to the street in front of a garage door that gets too hot to touch for 6-8 hours a day due to direct sunlight. it's gonna have some effect, even if it's not a purpose built thing

it's weird how grossed out touching a PIN pad or entering the gate code to get in to our complex makes me feel, now. i also find myself sprinting to already opened doors so that i can catch them with my foot, and wrapping my shirt around my hands when i touch a crosswalk signal or cooler handle

People are selling brass button pushers so you don't have to touch things, lol. At least you're not alone?

This one is my favorite:

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

numberoneposter posted:

How long does purgatory typically last?

Depends, how much have you paid your local priest?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Facebook Aunt posted:

People are selling brass button pushers so you don't have to touch things, lol. At least you're not alone?

This one is my favorite:

that is 100% someone's surplus stock of coat hangers down to the holes for screwing it into something.

i mean hey, can't knock the hustle

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

zer0spunk posted:

that is 100% someone's surplus stock of coat hangers down to the holes for screwing it into something.

i mean hey, can't knock the hustle

Yes. It's great.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Philthy posted:

I thought the study on Covid life on surfaces was up to 7 days on metals, and 3 on everything else?

Plastics (and mask outsides) were up to 7 days in the April study.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Philthy posted:

I thought the study on Covid life on surfaces was up to 7 days on metals, and 3 on everything else?
Metals weren't that long. It was like a day or two for steel, roughly that for or maybe a bit longer for cardboard, longer for plastics, less for copper.

Does anyone know if that study has held up over time? Because the one obvious challenge there is that while there may be enough viable virus after X time to infect a cell culture (which is how they establish infectivity), that doesn't mean it's enough to infect a human who has an immune system.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zugzwang posted:

while there may be enough viable virus after X time to infect a cell culture (which is how they establish infectivity), that doesn't mean it's enough to infect a human who has an immune system.

To the best of our knowledge, it’s probabilistic.

When they say it takes a thousand copies (not a real number) of the virus to infect a person, it’s not like this number is crossing a threshold, even a fuzzy one, and depleting fast‐acting immune resources or whatever. It’s just a number of dice that’s high enough that if you roll them all, there is an excellent chance of infection. A person could get unlucky and get the disease after coming in contact with a single virion, or get lucky and beat a much larger amount.

People have no problem with this concept when applied to cancer, but it feels unfair when viruses work like that.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Zugzwang posted:

Metals weren't that long. It was like a day or two for steel, roughly that for or maybe a bit longer for cardboard, longer for plastics, less for copper.

Does anyone know if that study has held up over time? Because the one obvious challenge there is that while there may be enough viable virus after X time to infect a cell culture (which is how they establish infectivity), that doesn't mean it's enough to infect a human who has an immune system.

I don't think that it would be ethical to test actual infectivity of surfaces on real humans, and it's not really feasible to determine how many infections have been due to surface contact. Epidemiologists seem to think that it's a likely transmission path, and if it wasn't then washing your hands would be ineffective and the R0 at the outset would probably have been a lot lower. I think it's reasonable to believe that the epidemiologists are right about surface contact creating real, not negligible risk

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
poo poo sounds very bad in Brazil

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1271678394674163713

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Zugzwang posted:

I thought copper shoots electrons at coronas

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

That is not a new idea. Normally they're kept in an ossuary, not a Royal Wolf container

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I want to be cremated but if my skellington had to stay around I want it to be part of something badass like that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Let my skeleton sink to the abyssal plain.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I have given up on wearing masks when I'm exercising outside. The heat/humidity make it unbearable and the risk of infecting someone else is super low.

E: "exercising" means biking/jogging in secluded areas, not anything in any kind of proximity to others

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Reddit has a thread full of people sharing how much CoViD wrecked their bodies.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
Yeah the rate of something that looks like post-viral CFS has a freakishly high positive rate with COVID-19, something like 5% or something according to what I read but I cannot find any sources backing that up.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I can't find the page but I saw some projections for a few countries including Bolivia that had a per capita worse than Italy. It's not going to be a good time.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Outrail posted:

I can't find the page but I saw some projections for a few countries including Bolivia that had a per capita worse than Italy. It's not going to be a good time.

Worldometers lets you sort by reported per capita and deaths per capita: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Brazil is extremely hosed and rapidly getting much fuckeder. Ten days ago they over took Italy for the #3 spot on the 'cumulative deaths' chart and they just overtook the UK for the #2 spot:

That's just the deaths that they've officially reported, god alone knows how bad it's actually getting over there.

Edit: IHME does projections but I really really don't trust them, they've repeatedly got stuff badly wrong in the recent past: https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-kingdom

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 13, 2020

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Worldometers lets you sort by reported per capita and deaths per capita: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Brazil is extremely hosed and rapidly getting much fuckeder. Ten days ago they over took Italy for the #3 spot on the 'cumulative deaths' chart and they just overtook the UK for the #2 spot:

That's just the deaths that they've officially reported, god alone knows how bad it's actually getting over there.

Edit: IHME does projections but I really really don't trust them, they've repeatedly got stuff badly wrong in the recent past: https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-kingdom

All of Latin America is hosed
Venezuela, Brasil, Mexico, Peru, Ecuador

Argentina and Chile might be doing ok, haven’t seen too many bad news there

Health system might be free but it’s not on the level of Euro countries, they’ll just run out of resources and pretend they’re treating you with water or whatever, while they wait for you to die and free a bed

Great doctors but they can’t do much without resources

If you thought the scarcity of PPE was bad in America...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zugzwang posted:

no none of them have bothered to see whether people can actually get infected by a 6-day old virus remnant on plastic package. monkey studies are expensive

doesn't really seem like it's happened to anybody in countries that actually do contact tracing

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Fallom posted:

no none of them have bothered to see whether people can actually get infected by a 6-day old virus remnant on plastic package. monkey studies are expensive

doesn't really seem like it's happened to anybody in countries that actually do contact tracing

Bingo. The low dispersion factor backs this up too IIRC

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

There haven't been any foodborne outbreaks either have there?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Alright, thanks for the input on the fomite stuff y'all.

In other news, two coronavirus-positive hairstylists in Missouri didn't manage to infect any of their 140 clients, six coworkers, or anyone else in the salon. Because masks were used.

This is simultaneously hopeful and frustrating as gently caress. The "REOPEN NOW!!" crowd could get something approximating what they want (and hey, what everyone wants)...if they'd just agree to wear some goddamn loving masks. But their refusal to do so will keep things dangerous indefinitely.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Bingo. The low dispersion factor backs this up too IIRC
What do you mean by dispersion factor here?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zugzwang posted:

Alright, thanks for the input on the fomite stuff y'all.

In other news, two coronavirus-positive hairstylists in Missouri didn't manage to infect any of their 140 clients, six coworkers, or anyone else in the salon. Because masks were used.

This is simultaneously hopeful and frustrating as gently caress. The "REOPEN NOW!!" crowd could get something approximating what they want (and hey, what everyone wants)...if they'd just agree to wear some goddamn loving masks. But their refusal to do so will keep things dangerous indefinitely.
What do you mean by dispersion factor here?

It's a cool epidemiological concept (disclaimer: not an epidemiologist). If k=1 than everyone infects the same number of people but the closer to 0 it becomes, the greater the variance between spreaders becomes, ie: some infect a bunch of people while most dont infect anyone. It kinda seems like that's how COVID is being transmitted, you'll have a few individuals that manage to infect a whole bunch of people.

Influenza is generally thought of as staying close to 1, while SARS-1 was like 0.15. I saw one estimate for Spanish Flu being like 0.94. The exact number for COVID is in dispute but AFAIK it's estimated through epidemiological data so it'll always be up to interpretation--nevermind the shoddy data they have to input.

Anyways this paper talks about it:

quote:

The dispersion parameter determines the level of variation in the number of secondary infections: if k = 1, we have a homogeneous outbreak, but heterogeneity increases as k drops below 1; that is, it enlarges the proportion of infected individuals that are either “super-spreaders” or “dead-ends” (those that do not transmit the pathogen).

From here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3680036/

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Masks are a tool of communists to infringe my first amanedment rights by physically covering my speaking hole.

Would make for a cool sign to have at those rallies.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Gonna be contradictory to see a bunch of people at the maga rally wearing masks. Better ban them at the door.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Argentina and Chile might be doing ok, haven’t seen too many bad news there

https://twitter.com/SHamiltonian/status/1271636668206833664

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

a pandemic

read the graph

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Up until last week they were never getting more than 100 deaths per day but on the 7th they must have started reclassifying a bunch of deaths because their cumulative total suddenly shot up by 649 and now they're averaging about 200 deaths a days

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/chile/

E: https://twitter.com/szapatazavala/status/1271678180907274247

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Looks like this pandemic is now getting SPICY

Because of the Chile, Spanish for chili, which is a small pod of a variety of capsicum plants that is hot to taste

Heh heh

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Because of the Chile, Spanish for chili, which is a small pod of a variety of capsicum plants that is hot to taste

Heh heh

IDGI?

:confused:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Heh heh

wow, hot take

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Like the food.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Sweet paper, thanks. Really interesting to see that the mega-infectious measles has a k of 0.25.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bleusilences posted:

Like the food.

Chile is the country though? The one that's like a vertical version of the population map of Canada, only in South America?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I think he's making a joke about this being the southern hemisphere's winter, so it's a bit chilly outside.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

redgubbinz posted:

I think he's making a joke about this being the southern hemisphere's winter, so it's a bit chilly outside.

:hmmyes:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

sup?

nm, just Chilean

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Seabass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

In Chile we hosed it up good

The government hid 50% of possible COVID deaths.

The new health minister is sympathetic to antivaxxers.

When I checked a few days ago we had the 2nd highest infection per capita rate behind Kuwait

So yeah, far from great