Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cuntellectual posted:

Bill Gates has done some good things, though.

In the nineties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The entire Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, which has and will continue to give away the *dramatic majority* of their wealth. Billions and Billions of it. Even their kids are only getting a tiny slice of dad's pocket.

For a geek who's worst crime is cornering the Personal Computer OS market and being a wholesome nerd otherwise, that's an awful lot of good.

edit:vvvv Jesus you dingbat can you just take like ten seconds to google the topic at hand, the foundation has been handing out cash like a lollipop machine for over a decade now. Wikipedia casually throws out twenty-one Billion, with over double that remaining. That's not "feel-good" money to purchase a better public image like Bezos does, that's Alfred Nobel levels of commitment.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jun 4, 2020

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Serephina posted:

The entire Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, which has and will continue to give away the *dramatic majority* of their wealth. Billions and Billions of it. Even their kids are only getting a tiny slice of dad's pocket.

For a geek who's worst crime is cornering the Personal Computer OS market and being a wholesome nerd otherwise, that's an awful lot of good.

It means jack poo poo until they've actually done it
Why you idiots insist on giving a goddamn billionaire monopolist who embodies the absolute worst excesses of unregulated capitalism loving kudos for effectively pinky-swearing that he's going to use his wealth altruistically when he's dead is beyond me.

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jun 4, 2020

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Bill Gates uses his unimaginable wealth to put himself de facto in charge of state education systems so he can promulgate his charter school horseshit lol

e: deus ex is cool

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I'd like to remind you that literally the first levels in Deus Ex contain newspaper reports praising Bob Page's philanthropy.

Also Bill Gates and Bob Page have the same number of syllables :tinfoil:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh for sure, Bob Page is totally a Bill Gates reference don't get me wrong. Don't think anyone would argue otherwise. The convo just got a bit sidetracked as times have moved on and we where talking of modern day equivalents.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Serephina posted:

edit:vvvv Jesus you dingbat can you just take like ten seconds to google the topic at hand, the foundation has been handing out cash like a lollipop machine for over a decade now. Wikipedia casually throws out twenty-one Billion, with over double that remaining. That's not "feel-good" money to purchase a better public image like Bezos does, that's Alfred Nobel levels of commitment.

You surely understand that that wealth didn't appear out of nowhere. It represents tremendous cost to businesses, governments, and individuals around the world. The Gates' wealth came directly from crushing competition and preventing market forces from bringing software prices down to competitive rates. It came from using corporate tax loopholes. It came at an opportunity cost to all of society in crushed innovation, failed small businesses, wasted tax opportunities, and all the associated trouble a megacorporation can cause for individuals that happen to get in the way of its agenda.

Nobel is an apt comparison because he also attempted to literally purchase a good reputation with his legacy funding. The man's still indirectly responsible for deaths in the low millions at this point. But yeah, good job, his prize committee hands out a cool million each year to a few politically-selected examples of scientists doing good research they can trot out.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Yeah I'm well aware of the original Bill Gates intented parallels for Bob Page and also the giant asterisks next to any discussion of Gates' philanthropism, I was merely saying that of our current crop of tech billionaires it's barely a stretch to imagine Bezos as a megalomaniac pursuing personal immortality

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I honestly did not realise Bob Page was actually meant to be a Bill Gates analogue until this discussion, I was just kidding. In real terms it certainly would be Bezos though.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Serephina posted:

Platitudes. And you believe them?

Sorry, Seraphina, I don't like to dogpile too much: I just couldn't resist the opportunity.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

John_A_Tallon posted:

You surely understand that that wealth didn't appear out of nowhere. It represents tremendous cost to businesses, governments, and individuals around the world. The Gates' wealth came directly from crushing competition and preventing market forces from bringing software prices down to competitive rates. It came from using corporate tax loopholes. It came at an opportunity cost to all of society in crushed innovation, failed small businesses, wasted tax opportunities, and all the associated trouble a megacorporation can cause for individuals that happen to get in the way of its agenda.

Nobel is an apt comparison because he also attempted to literally purchase a good reputation with his legacy funding. The man's still indirectly responsible for deaths in the low millions at this point. But yeah, good job, his prize committee hands out a cool million each year to a few politically-selected examples of scientists doing good research they can trot out.
Deus Ex runs on Windows :owned:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Wealth is not a zero-sum game; it can be spun from thin air and is an important part of it's definition. Microsoft did a lot of bad things to other companies and has generally not been the good guy, ever. But we're not talking about Gates gutting public infrastructure or creating institutionalized poverty here, it's a goddamn computer OS and white-collar jobs. Netscape getting buried doesn't mean orphans went without foodstamps or whatever. And I'll still maintain that Alfred Nobel has done more good than evil by a long mile; after all we don't hold Hiroshima Deaths over Feynman's head do we?

And what do you mean this is just a bar and what do I want to drink? What good of a loving bartender are you anyways?!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Serephina posted:

And what do you mean this is just a bar and what do I want to drink? What good of a loving bartender are you anyways?!
Don't even start talking this with the barkeep or you'll be here all night. That guy must be a polisci major during the day.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

jojoinnit posted:

I honestly did not realise Bob Page was actually meant to be a Bill Gates analogue until this discussion, I was just kidding. In real terms it certainly would be Bezos though.

I haven't been keeping up with Bezos. What sort of crazy stuff is he involved in? Aside from the name, Bill Gates is also the target of a conspiracy theory where he helped orchestrate the COVID-19 pandemic, which lines up with Bob Page creating Gray Death. I feel like between Bezos and Gates, Gates is more likely to have the goal of merging with an A.I. in order to become a God

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

John_A_Tallon posted:

Hundreds of millions dead due to Alfred Nobel's invention, dynamite.
Never thought I'd unironically see this on these forums.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bill Gates is giving all his money away guys, ignore the fact that he gets richer every year! Yum, these boots taste so good :)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Alright guys, if you're interested in doing the Goons Play Deus Ex 20th Anniversary thing, here's the list of levels- just quote the level you want, if there's a gimmick you want to do for that level/if you know any cool hidden bits or design details you want to include, and I'll edit it in.

Since it's a fairly long game, and time zones are a factor, I figure a video LP format may be ideal instead of streaming. I figure I'll make a shared gmail/google drive account for uploading your saves and a shared youtube account for actually uploading videos, unless someone has a better idea.

The list, shamelessly copy/pasted from a GameFAQS walkthrough:
Feel free to sign up for a few levels, there's definitely more levels than goons.
3.1 Liberty Island, New York City
3.2 UNATCO HQ, New York City
3.3 Battery Park, New York City
3.4 Hell's Kitchen, New York City
3.5 UNATCO HQ, New York City
3.6 Battery Park, New York City
3.7 UNATCO HQ, New York City
3.8 Hell's Kitchen, New York City
3.9 Location Unknown
3.10 Secret MJ12 Base, Hong Kong
3.11 Wan Chai Market, Hong Kong
3.12 VersaLife Laboratory, Hong Kong
3.13 Hell's Kitchen, New York City
3.14 Brooklyn Naval Shipyards, New York City
3.15 Lower East Side Cemetary, New York City
3.16 Denfert-Rochereau, Paris
3.17 Chateau DuClare, Outside Paris
3.18 Knights Templar Cathedral, Paris
3.19 Morgan Everett's Home
3.20 Vandenberg Airforce Base
3.21 Abandoned Gas Station, Central California
3.22 MJ12 Sub Base, SoCal Sea Wall
3.23 MJ12 Ocean Lab, Oceanic Floor
3.24 New West Coast, Missile Silo xxx
3.25 Area 51, Rachel Nevada
3.26 Area 51 Bunker Sector 2, Rachel Nevada
3.27 Area 51 Bunker Sector 3, Rachel Nevada

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Jesus. I'd forgotten just how much more game there was after the unatco reveal.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Eason the Fifth posted:

Jesus. I'd forgotten just how much more game there was after the unatco reveal.

Yep, same, that’s when I went from “hey; this would be a fun streaming thing” to “oh god, no, this is going to have to be done LP style”

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I haven't been keeping up with Bezos. What sort of crazy stuff is he involved in?

Bezos is a bad man, but at least he can act the part.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

you were just a prototype, Musk. A prototype for Me!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

That Steel Battalion controller looks dope.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
I'm replaying the game for the first time in a while and decided to try out the GMDX mod and wow does it run like dogshit. Does anyone have any suggestions to make the frame rate not garbage? Running in directx 10 is neigh unplayable because of the frame rate, DX 9 is a lot better but still not smooth, and open GL would be great except it is unplayably dark and the brightness slider doesn't do anything.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That's really strange, as far as I know GMDX isn't a graphics mod

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Does it do something spectacularly stupid with the scripting engine?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve played GMDX and Revision to completion and have had no issues with either running poorly.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I just finished A Criminal Past and between that and System Rift, that was some really top notch Deus Exing.

I did it with no augs, which made it extra enjoyable, but my only regret is not being able to hack a lot of the computers because the writing for the general correspondence between office workers is extremely enjoyable and well done, letting you work out the office dramas and what kind of illicit things the employees are getting up to and who everyone hates etc

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
I just deleted everything and re-installed, then GMDX worked fine. I'm glad this game has a 20 year strong tradition of being buggy as poo poo.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

I just deleted everything and re-installed, then GMDX worked fine. I'm glad this game has a 20 year strong tradition of being buggy as poo poo.

What a shame.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

https://alexanderbrandon.bandcamp.com/album/conspiravision-deus-ex-remixed

quote:

Deus Ex is one of the most revered games in history, featured on many "best games of all time" lists. It broke new ground with player choice and depth of story for a first-person experience. And the soundtrack, which establishes a unique, futuristic gritty atmosphere, is highly regarded to this day.

Now, two of the original composers, Alexander Brandon and Michiel van den Bos, have returned to the soundtrack they first wrote 20 years ago. In revisiting some of the game's most iconic themes, they have decided to keep some tracks true to the original, touched up using modern production techniques; other tracks are fully reimagined and will give even dedicated fans something new to listen to. It's a celebration of two decades of Deus Ex and a "thank you" to the fans who have kept their love for the game alive over the years.

Not out until the 23rd of June but the preview track sounds promising.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
a bomb

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
None of those picks make any sense. Not even one of those is even remotely close.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Wonder what made him chose Yang for Tracer Tong...

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dishwasherlove posted:

https://alexanderbrandon.bandcamp.com/album/conspiravision-deus-ex-remixed

Not out until the 23rd of June but the preview track sounds promising.

I've had the UNATCO base remix on loop for the last two hours, and it's really good. Really looking forward to hearing what their Synapse remix sounds like.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

moot the hopple posted:

Wonder what made him chose Yang for Tracer Tong...

Probably Tong always talking about the importance of UBI.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/806390745330499586?lang=en

Anyways: JC Denton:

* Fairly young
* Flat affect
* Awkward, nonsexual persona
* Raised in a controlled environment to be a perfect little student
* Decided to become a sort of pseudo-Troop and help protect American financial interests
* Amoral political views / is capable of taking either side on most any position
* Almost certainly an op

In other words JC Denton is obviously Pete Buttigieg, sorry.

Linguica fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 18, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Unless you pick gray hair Denton

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Also Joe Biden is Gunther: outmoded, falling apart rust bucket with regressive views holding back the next generation yet still propped up by the institution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Linguica posted:

In other words JC Denton is obviously Pete Buttigieg, sorry.

You've got 10 seconds to delete this before I add you to the list of NSF casualties.