Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

Destroy the entire tree.

Agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Do we want to get HER'd? End up with Snarls crying forever like a tiny baby Orm? Our kids noped out of the future of the world and out of known history?

Amok hosed it up completely & everything he valued ended up monstrous & in utter ruination. The stump is a physical reminder to us of what happens if we get into amok style big dick swingaz attitude.

Leave the stump for now.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Sanctifying the forge will probably only work for us because we're using a holy tool. Bet it helps clear the connection or something.

Sure, but how and why? I'm sure we could achieve the same effect with a variety of materials.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Do we want to get HER'd? End up with Snarls crying forever like a tiny baby Orm? Our kids noped out of the future of the world and out of known history?

Amok hosed it up completely & everything he valued ended up monstrous & in utter ruination. The stump is a physical reminder to us of what happens if we get into amok style big dick swingaz attitude.

Leave the stump for now.

Not it isn't it's a monument to the rear end in a top hat that hosed up and is a monstrous thing he valued, we didn't bring a giant home to serve as a reminder of what not to do we just loving killed them all, this logic makes no sense. The thing that keeps Enkidel honest is his family, his city, his dog, and the 9,000 angels constantly watching every last thing he does, not half of a tree who's very existence is an affront to El.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Crazycryodude posted:

Not it isn't it's a monument to the rear end in a top hat that hosed up and is a monstrous thing he valued, we didn't bring a giant home to serve as a reminder of what not to do we just loving killed them all, this logic makes no sense. The thing that keeps Enkidel honest is his family, his city, his dog, and the 9,000 angels constantly watching every last thing he does, not half of a tree who's very existence is an affront to El.

both her and amok I think are more like us and less like fakeamok. It's not a shrine to Amok it's a dead fuckin tree from a dead guy from a dead civilization from a deadera.

if relentlessly obliterating all stuff like that is what we're supposed to do then we should be blasting all the carine loot into vapors instead of arranging its secret transport across the world

a big theme of the thread is people taking precepts and blowing them up to complete crazed dogma levels

our city isn't keeping us honest at all and people are even now still like "hm we should eat El and become the new El some day"

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Our hammer literally just came as close to outright telling us as his programming allows that it is a shrine to Amok I dunno what else to say man, either this is a disingenuous attempt to make up some way to keep the tree and hope it grows back or we have wildly different understandings of what Avery was saying.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
the whole point i'm trying to make is "smash demon! Enki smash!" is good and right, but it's also baby level stuff you first tell people who have no idea what's going on at all. This is a solid course of action that works, but it's not the only good thing to do. It's like trying to teach a little kid one of their first moral lessons.
  • Giving blue stones to dad instead of saccing to El or giving to the temple is not enki smash
  • taking the demon tree and using it to purify the forge is not enki smash
  • the fact that the tower in carine exists at all is the people before us not doing enki smash
  • taking "mercy is never misplaced" to stupid extremes IS enki smash level thinking
I'm pretty sure if we sacrifice the tree to El it'll burn like normal wood, and if we burn it in the forge it'll burn like normal hardwood and nothing unusual will happen. The nature of the tree means we can't really cultivate it, and trying to use it as a sacrifice is completely missing the whole "yeah dude we're not doing the whole 'clever boy' stich."

We should keep the wood to use down the line to make a decent bow, that's pretty much it.

The thread gets all hopped up any time anything tells us anything and misses what's actually being said.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The point of a sacrifice isn't to get a pillar of fire it's to make it go away so people stop loving talking about it, we killed the tree, it's dead, no rewind, blood tree is over just let it go. El doesn't like it, we already smashed it, just finish the last 10% of the job and torch it for Him so we can all stop talking about it instead of another three years of this.

It's not even good bow wood, it's hard you don't want hard wood for bows you want flexible wood and it would rot away in the century it would take for us to git gud at bowmaking anyways. Just burn the drat tree.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 13, 2020

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Crazycryodude posted:

The point of a sacrifice isn't to get a pillar of fire it's to make it go away so people stop loving talking about it, we killed the tree, it's dead, no rewind, blood tree is over just let it go. El doesn't like it, we already smashed it, just finish the last 10% of the job and torch it for Him so we can all stop talking about it instead of another three years of this.

It's not even good bow wood, it's hard you don't want hard wood for bows you want flexible wood and it would rot away in the century it would take for us to git gud at bowmaking anyways. Just burn the drat tree.

If you think people will stop talking about it, you're crazy, the conversation will just be "we shouldn't have killed the tree, we could have sweet THING THAT I MADE UP RANDOMLY

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer

We should keep the wood to use down the line to make a decent bow, that's pretty much it.

We’re never making a bow.

Losing Chait and getting the hammer were the one-two punch that knocked out any chance we’d ever get into bow making.

Folks interested in the bow should fight for novel arrow construction. We already have a toe hold there, and they’re made in the forge.

I don’t like the bow, so I’m gonna push for magic clubs or, failing that, armor.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

both her and amok I think are more like us and less like fakeamok. It's not a shrine to Amok it's a dead fuckin tree from a dead guy from a dead civilization from a deadera.

if relentlessly obliterating all stuff like that is what we're supposed to do then we should be blasting all the carine loot into vapors instead of arranging its secret transport across the world

a big theme of the thread is people taking precepts and blowing them up to complete crazed dogma levels

our city isn't keeping us honest at all and people are even now still like "hm we should eat El and become the new El some day"

There's a thing that what El wants isn't necessarily what our culture wants or what other temporal powers want. This is why we can't trumpet that we were a sneaky gently caress that punched a cat demon unannounced, though it was something that El favored.

OTOH El warned us, then literally smote us for this ONE god poo poo, and then we were warned again, for the third time by a literal agent of El. How more direct do you need this?

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Olothreutes posted:

3: Save some branches from the tree for grafting experiments.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Oops I'm behind

CloFan fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 13, 2020

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Olothreutes posted:

3: Save some branches from the tree for grafting experiments.

Doin this actually so that cool blood tree might live on in some way.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago

We....we just knocked down the evil tree that is an affront to our God, and you wanna graft it onto stuff? Why don't you just vote to graft it onto a fruit tree and get us smote by the melachim?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

CloFan posted:

So are we gonna hit the tree with the hammer or destroy it with mundane means? Hammer bro seemed to want a piece of it

The tree has already been hit with Avery, it's done, the current state of the tree right now is splinters and firewood.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Oh yeah right I guess I missed that update, my b

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Beastyfella posted:

We....we just knocked down the evil tree that is an affront to our God, and you wanna graft it onto stuff? Why don't you just vote to graft it onto a fruit tree and get us smote by the melachim?

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
Thought of the day:. Would a modern day blood bank be akin to a nuclear stockpile in Ur, since blood magic is a thing?

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Beastyfella posted:

Thought of the day:. Would a modern day blood bank be akin to a nuclear stockpile in Ur, since blood magic is a thing?

There's just as much blood in any small town full of people walking around keeping it fresh.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Beastyfella posted:

it would be a really small amount of material compared to just mystically pulping everyone in a 500m radius. A nuclear stockpile is more like the stuff in the vault that we thankfully quit haranguing tudiya about.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Sacrifice the blood tree to El.

I mean, we obviously care about it enough that he'd at least appreciate the gesture.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Sacrifice the blood tree to El.

I mean, we obviously care about it enough that he'd at least appreciate the gesture.

If it's representative of a false idol like I think Everstrike was trying to hint at, then yeah, El is all about that good poo poo.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

I don’t think the blood tree has the amount of sentiment required to be a false idol. Every just knows where it came from and that it has potential to be an idol of Amok. In a really bad analogy the blood tree is like hiring a hot nanny and every is our friend telling us ‘this will not end well you should stop this now’ before we get caught balls deep in the tree

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

TK-42-1 posted:

I don’t think the blood tree has the amount of sentiment required to be a false idol. Every just knows where it came from and that it has potential to be an idol of Amok. In a really bad analogy the blood tree is like hiring a hot nanny and every is our friend telling us ‘this will not end well you should stop this now’ before we get caught balls deep in the tree

Youre absolutely right.

gently caress the tree

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I think Every Strike brought up the bit about making sure men do not see the reflection of El in our smithing for a reason. The point is that Enkidel needs to be very careful or his actions might be mistaken for a message from El or the melachim. It's the same reason we got chided by the priest in Carine. We can't send that message without it seeming like El had sent us.

Since our behavior is potentially viewed as being divinely inspired our actions with the tree could be mistaken by the public. We aren't sacrificing a cow to the tree, but could someone think that if they saw us do it? If we are sacrificing stuff to the tree, should they be? After all, Enkidel does have a history of weird actions that seem to be divinely inspired.

Suddenly people are making sacrifices to a false idol and poo poo is bad. I don't think the tree is inherently profane or a monument to a false god, but it does present a big risk for leading people astray. Which honestly I think is a much bigger issue than a bizarro world corner case where it eats a person.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
We SHOULD eat El.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Boba Pearl posted:

We SHOULD eat El.

:hai:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Beastyfella posted:

Maybe ya'll shouldn't have broken the rad blood tree if you didn't want Blood Tree Krew grafting it onto stuff.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The new grafted trees glorify El.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Boba Pearl posted:

The new grafted trees glorify El.

Yeah. Using bad things to make good things is a thing. Using bad amok tree to make good El tree is as viable as using bad behemoth bone to make good club.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

If we can manage to grow those fruits without needing to drain a cow into the tree I bet El would actually like those. Yeah these used to be risky, but I fixed it and now here's some tasty fruit.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Graft a branch onto us so we can get a third, fruit producing, arm

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

bleed on the graftlings

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Leave the stump for now.

FIND HER AND BRING HER HOME!

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Guys, give up on demon tree, you've got the carne stuff. Play with that and let the pious part of enkidel burn the heathen wood.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

we already have a baby’s arm holding an apple. it just doesn’t produce fruit

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Guys, give up on demon tree, you've got the carne stuff. Play with that and let the pious part of enkidel burn the heathen wood.

I agree. We need to eat all the carne stuff, specially if it is human carne.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Olothreutes posted:

If we can manage to grow those fruits without needing to drain a cow into the tree I bet El would actually like those. Yeah these used to be risky, but I fixed it and now here's some tasty fruit.
El loves it when we sacrifice items holy to other gods, so let's set up a farm dedicated to producing them! El is going to be so happy with this new stream of sacrifices, I can't wait to see Ishamal's face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

pumpinglemma posted:

El loves it when we sacrifice items holy to other gods, so let's set up a farm dedicated to producing them! El is going to be so happy with this new stream of sacrifices, I can't wait to see Ishamal's face.

We already know that El doesn't give a gently caress about the fruit, the sacrifice was totally unremarkable beyond how good the fruit smelled. I also don't think that they were holy to anyone, they were just fruit. Prized fruit, sure, but fruit none the less. If we can take that and remove the need for cattle blood, thereby removing the risk of people being led astray if they see us feeding the tree, we can keep the fruit without issue. It seems pretty clear to me.