Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

i have it but to be fair most of it is unplayable stuff. i think it would break down to about 10% non-game things like tilesets or graphics, another 10% tabletop rulebooks noboby's ever going to use, then a big chunk of 2-player novelty games, another big chunk of visual novels (visual novels aren't games imo). another segment consists of rpg maker games, which also don't really qualify as games if you ask me unless they're either yume nikki or charles barkley. there are good singleplayer games in there like celeste, sky rogue, nuclear throne and a few others but i'd say in reality you only get a few hundred actual, playable single player games of which the vast majority are 10 minutes of fun.

still worth it just because of the couple of high profile titles in there of course and it's for a good cause so why not, but the amount of actual games is much lower than that number suggests. it's fun if you treat it like a shareware CD

i play tabletop games and i create RPG Maker games so every single part of this bundle is appealing to me. the tile sets are actually a really good deal, you can use them in commercial games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

by the way if you do find a good game in there post it here because itd be cool find a little weird hidden gem type of game

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

if you make a really good indie game like Celeste i'd feel bad getting it super cheap in a bundle, you deserve like 20 bucks or something from me

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Caesar Saladin posted:

if you make a really good indie game like Celeste i'd feel bad getting it super cheap in a bundle, you deserve like 20 bucks or something from me

you can pay more for the bundle if you want, 5 is a minimum price

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

It's actually impossible to even approach the huge pile of games through their bad website without being able to dump them all into a steam library or something. Do they really expect me to page through 56 pages of this to download and install each thing individually? Nobody who bought this bundle will ever do that. Well played, devs.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Why would you ever need/want anything beyond that which is required to play FNV and Skyrim (which would necessarily also include the ability to play DoW 1 and 2 at excellent levels)?

I mean, I guess Stellaris needs to be played as well but it's not especially graphically intensive?

I guess what I'm saying is: I don't get the mentality where the act of gaming is more important than the game being played?

:shrug:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

We have strayed from unpopular opinions to unpopular slapfights over extremely popular game delivery mechanisms, so unless somebody here comes in hot about how the Coleco Telstar Arcade is the only way to play games let this particular avenue go.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

Why would you ever need/want anything beyond that which is required to play FNV and Skyrim (which would necessarily also include the ability to play DoW 1 and 2 at excellent levels)?

why would you play skyrim? I'm seriously convinced that no amount of mods can fix skyrim.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Gamergate was a souls-like and it sucked because you couldn't invert the y-axis

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Many people have dumped hundreds of hours into Skyrim, only to turn around and complain about it. People saying a game is terrible with awful mechanics after putting in that kind of time might be technically correct, but something about it clearly worked.

I don’t care though. I’m still playing the Coleciovision ROMhack library, which is the only good video game system ever made

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Caesar Saladin posted:

why would you play skyrim? I'm seriously convinced that no amount of mods can fix skyrim.

It's not so much about fixing it as it is about un-breaking it. Start by removing the intro, dragons and main quest with an alternate start mod. Disable fast travel and mod in fus ro da so you can do it without doing the main quest or climbing the stupid mountain. Now you're on the way to a good game and can start installing bejeweled horse cocks and whatever else your heart desires.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Caesar Saladin posted:

You can put in an aqueduct just outside Riverwood!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

poisonpill posted:

Many people have dumped hundreds of hours into Skyrim, only to turn around and complain about it. People saying a game is terrible with awful mechanics after putting in that kind of time might be technically correct, but something about it clearly worked.

sometimes a game cheats you by promising a payoff and not delivering, i don't even hate skyrim honestly but it's a game that looks very spectacular and like it offers a lot (especially back then when the sandbox rpg genre was usually more limited) but then after a while you discover how repetitive and generic it is, like how you can read a book that has a good start but just goes nowhere

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I firmly believe there are games that have notable flaws but have low enough friction and enough interrelated stuff to do that you can chug along with them for many many many hours.

Right now Xenoblade Chronicles is that for me, if you asked me to describe it Id have oodles of complaints but fundamentally having tons of very easy, varying quests with lots of very quick travel and map highlights combined with an overall difficulty curve of "none" means Im chugging away at it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shibawanko posted:

sometimes a game cheats you by promising a payoff and not delivering, i don't even hate skyrim honestly but it's a game that looks very spectacular and like it offers a lot (especially back then when the sandbox rpg genre was usually more limited) but then after a while you discover how repetitive and generic it is, like how you can read a book that has a good start but just goes nowhere

Civilization VI and Beyond Earth came up before and they're absolutely examples; a ton of presentation and sound and fury to hide that the core gameplay loop is bad and the AI is braindead

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Civilization VI and Beyond Earth came up before and they're absolutely examples; a ton of presentation and sound and fury to hide that the core gameplay loop is bad and the AI is braindead

Beyond Earth is legit heartbreaking. "Spiritual successor to/Remake of Alpha Centauri" is such an inherently cool idea and there's so much good there, but: :flaccid:.

:sigh:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

i wish they would offer Civ 5 on the Switch. i want the good one :(

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Civ6 and Civ:BE don't deserve to be in the same sentence. One has the standard "cant hold its own vs human players" syndrome of the AI trying to play a game with a few sharp edges on the mechanics. The other is a goddamn mess where the AI is a fecal-matter covered creature that's never seen the light of day surrounded by a game that's probably horribly imbalanced and unfun but nobody will ever know because literally nobody plays(-ed) the broken game, certainly not the devs who showed at best a vague familiarity with it during their streams.

It's amazing how much money Civ:BE basically poured directly down the drain, all those assets and nothing to show for it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Playing Civ 5 really makes me wish its roads/traders worked like in Civ 6, but that's it.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I have not seen or heard a single interesting thing about Skyrim, ever.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

aegof posted:

some of the shouts are funny, like the one that knocks people over

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

aegof posted:

Me, literally 8 posts earlier posted:

You can put in an aqueduct just outside Riverwood!

:confused:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 13, 2020

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Surely you have heard of le epic meme "arrow to the knee"!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Playing Skyrim almost makes me wish for a nuclear winter.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

You can drop a bucket on a shopkeepers head and rob him blind while he stands there because nothing is in his line of sight anymore.

Apparently. I’ve never tried. The only thing you’ll get are some carrots

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Chomp8645 posted:

Surely you have heard of le epic meme "arrow to the knee"!

I used to be a shitposter until I took a redtext to the 'tar!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Skyrim has the worst combat of any major rpg I can think of.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Caesar Saladin posted:

Skyrim has the worst combat of any major rpg I can think of.

DQ11 is definitely in the running for blandest combat.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

d3lness posted:

DQ11 is definitely in the running for blandest combat.

The combat in DQ11 is fine, charming even, the bland part is the story

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shibawanko posted:

i have it but to be fair most of it is unplayable stuff. i think it would break down to about 10% non-game things like tilesets or graphics, another 10% tabletop rulebooks noboby's ever going to use, then a big chunk of 2-player novelty games, another big chunk of visual novels (visual novels aren't games imo). another segment consists of rpg maker games, which also don't really qualify as games if you ask me unless they're either yume nikki or charles barkley. there are good singleplayer games in there like celeste, sky rogue, nuclear throne and a few others but i'd say in reality you only get a few hundred actual, playable single player games of which the vast majority are 10 minutes of fun.

still worth it just because of the couple of high profile titles in there of course and it's for a good cause so why not, but the amount of actual games is much lower than that number suggests. it's fun if you treat it like a shareware CD
or treat it like a donation to good causes (which is what it is)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

aegof posted:

I think the one time I had anything that actually caught me by surprise it was when a giant knocked my corpse into the stratosphere.

Oblivion was a better game than Skyrim. By like, a lot.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I second the motion.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

skyrim is very bland but oblivion is utter trash that borders on unplayable if you treat it like every other game in the franchise it was a part of

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Demon Souls remake looks good but I hope it's more than just the same game with new graphics.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Demon Souls remake looks good but I hope it's more than just the same game with new graphics.

i honestly keep wavering between being excited about and being worried about FROM’s apparent total lack of involvement

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think the one time I had anything that actually caught me by surprise it was when a giant knocked my corpse into the stratosphere.

every elder scrolls game is worse then the one before it

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The combat in DQ11 is fine, charming even, the bland part is the story

I'll meet you half way and say they're both awful.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rutibex posted:

every elder scrolls game is worse then the one before it

Personally I can only verify this up to Morrowind, which would make it the best one since it is. I have once when saying something similar heard an argument for Daggerfall, but one weirdo in like 20 years isn't enough to convince me to even try Daggerfall, though it does do a few things I can admire from the distance, like it's crazy huge explorable world that's still one of the largest in games IIRC.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

Personally I can only verify this up to Morrowind, which would make it the best one since it is. I have once when saying something similar heard an argument for Daggerfall, but one weirdo in like 20 years isn't enough to convince me to even try Daggerfall, though it does do a few things I can admire from the distance, like it's crazy huge explorable world that's still one of the largest in games IIRC.

Daggerfall is peak Elder Scrolls. its also been ported to Unity so it runs on modern computers and people made tons of graphical mods
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVd2TtukVEE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

"You see that mountain off in the distance? Well guess what you can actually go there."

"Whoa that's awesome. What can I do once I get there?"

"Uhhhh, you can look at the mountain, but like, closer I guess?"