Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
There have been a bunch of high profile instances of public officials receiving death threats over the lockdowns. It doesn't seem wildly unlikely that it's happening to contact tracers too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Italy looked like they were on the verge of an apocalypse. How are things now?

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I'm lucky because I had a work office set up before this all started, it's completely separated (due to a really bad work from home job I had a few years back and never shifted things back to the way they were) and I literally only go down there to work, otherwise I'm upstairs on my laptop connected to a monitor and steam stream from the downstairs computer if I want to play anything, since my work computer still needs to be the best computer in the house.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

Italy looked like they were on the verge of an apocalypse. How are things now?

They're doing good, but they've only really heavily reopened in the last few weeks. Dine-in restaurants have much stricter social distancing rules than anywhere in the US is seriously proposing, to the point where restaurant owners basically expect to be operating at like 20-30% seating capacity. I don't know how well any of that is being followed, but yeah.

If trends from the US hold, then we're at least a month away from really understanding how their reopening will impact their case counts.

edit- I think dine-in only opened on the 1st of this month in some regions too

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

freebooter posted:

New Zealand held a rugby match today with a stadium of 22,000 people shoulder to shoulder with no need to worry about social distancing.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-union/returning-rugby-fans-in-nz-treated-to-thriller-at-packed-stadium-20200613-p552bx.html

I'm in Australia, and I'm no fan of our government, but I think they've done an excellent job by global standards of a harsh lockdown which has brought the virus under control. (It's a demonstration of what it's like to have a conservative party which, while it has a fundamental ideology I disagree with, is still mostly committed to bipartisan norms of public service and hasn't yet let the lunatics run the asylum like in the UK or US). But even here I saw people saying that we were getting the balance just right, whereas New Zealand was going too far and too hard with its lockdowns. This now, to me, is the proof in the pudding: going hard and early on a lockdown means you got to wipe it out. Which means businesses in New Zealand get to go back to normal now, right here, two months after this started, instead of facing down rolling uncertainty for the rest of 2020. For the foreseeable future New Zealand's borders will remain closed, incoming travellers will have to submit to two weeks of quarantine, but life within the country can go back to normal.

On the one hand New Zealand is the most geographically isolated country in the world, with a population of 5 million. On the other hand, it had daily direct flights from China until the borders closed in mid-March, just like Australia - and I feel like while the government here doesn't want to name eradication as a goal, we're getting very close to it. So what really separates us from places like the US, except more competent governance?

I'm not trying to brag or point fingers. I just feel genuinely bad for people in countries which seriously should have had all the political and logistical frameworks in place to deal with this, but somehow turned out to... not.

Yeah, the experience here in Canada has been similarly frustrating. My province was down to 10 new cases per day when we decided to start re-opening poo poo, and now no one's taking distancing and masks seriously and we're back up to 40/day. All we loving had to goddamn do was wait another few weeks before opening back up, and it's not like we were even that locked down compared to most places, and we couldn't even manage that. The second wave is going to be a bastard, and it's all because we have the collective patience of a six-year-old.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/kenayers8/status/1271814361191837701

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Cheesus posted:

I went to a graduation party in Chittenden county last night of about 25 people. My wife and I and one of the dads dropping off his kid were the only ones wearing masks.
well hilarious that us rural assholes are doing it better than "Chittenden county liberal flatlanders" :troll:

Seriously that's disturbing and I wouldn't have dropped a kid off. I haven't been to Burlington since February. We're about to get overrun with tourists.

Having daycare open is a black eye because I wish I felt okay about using it, it would solve 75% of our stress, but, nope. Not yet.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I still think people are dreaming if they believe any serious shelter-in-place will happen again. Illinois' governor got sued left and right and back country judges held him up enough toward the end that I don't see how he could even try to do anything statewide again. Chuds nationwide took note. The president has set the tone for the country at this point. I'm prepared to hear "well it's not that bad here" with "here" being as super localized as possible to allow people to brush it off.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Agreed. I saw an article from the Atlantic titled ‘America is Giving Up on the Pandemic’, and that is 100% correct. The attitude by most is it is what it is and let the cards fall where they may. As I said earlier if the death rate continues to trend as is there will be zero regret by the majority. So good luck my fellow goons.

Edit: I’m to the point if I see more 25% of the customers in a store with masks I’m shocked. I still wear mine, but I almost feel like I’m making statement by wearing it instead of doing any real good.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 13, 2020

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

nate fisher posted:

Agreed. I saw an article from the Atlantic titled ‘America is Giving Up on the Pandemic’, and that is 100% correct. The attitude by most is it is what it is and let the cards fall where they may. As I said earlier if the death rate continues to trend as is there will be zero regret by the majority. So good luck my fellow goons.

This is because a majority think the problem is largely over. If it gets real bad again people’s feelings will change.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

nate fisher posted:

Atlantic has another article called "The Virus Will Win" that's pretty grim and accurate reading. poo poo's about to come roaring back worse than before and there will be no political will anywhere to do even half-hearted lockdowns until there's bodies in the streets. About the time the real spike of the first wave hits will be when the UI money runs out, eviction/rent moratoriums end, etc. We're in that moment where the poo poo is on its way to the fan but only the first little dingleberries have been blown back. The real poo poo's comin'.

Like I said earlier, America decided to believe it was immune to Math, and Math is about to give America a lesson about Universal Forces That Don't Give A gently caress About What You Believe.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

nate fisher posted:

Agreed. I saw an article from the Atlantic titled ‘America is Giving Up on the Pandemic’,

The media is complicit in providing tremendous coverage to the anti-lockdown protestors and fringe views and now we've entered the insufferable scolding phase

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

nate fisher posted:

I still wear mine, but I almost feel like I’m making statement by wearing it instead of doing any real good.

This is how I feel in my workplace. I'm still struggling with it. I get and accept that an economically devastating lockdown was too much for our ignorant and individualist country to handle, but our inability to *just wear masks*, the literal bare minimum, is still mindblowing to me in 2020.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Cabbages and Kings posted:

well hilarious that us rural assholes are doing it better than "Chittenden county liberal flatlanders" :troll:
It would be a very agreeable troll if it wasn't a CHUD group consisting of:

At least six adults over the age of 70.
A Gen Xer who has proudly proclaimed that she hasn't and won't wear a mask.
The same Gen Xer's unvaccinated kids.

At this point in the epidemic in these United States, I no longer give a poo poo about others. While I'll continue to do my part to mask myself and family and continue to limit our activities with others, I am well beyond giving a single poo poo about friends and family who won't do the bare minimum for themselves and others.

In addition to stocking up food and supplies for the fall, I should also get a poo poo load of stamps and a pile of "Thoughts and prayers" sympathy cards.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Florida:

https://twitter.com/MiamiHerald/status/1271837143984492544

here's my crude rendition of the last three days' numbers relative to columbia's default 5% projection

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

eke out posted:

Florida:

https://twitter.com/MiamiHerald/status/1271837143984492544

here's my crude rendition of the last three days' numbers relative to columbia's default 5% projection

Everyone who goes to that Trump convention is going to get sick as hell.

I know it'll be a nasty bit of justice but it makes me depressed.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Svanja posted:

unless this is swiftly controlled, there won't be any public events in florida in august

it's not going to be swiftly controlled, of course, because DeSantis is in pure denial right now. but all-time record cases now back on an exponential curve mean it's all-but certain we'll have to shutdown again unless things get radically better on their own, because florida will be worse than New York at its peak within a few weeks from now

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

beejay posted:

I still think people are dreaming if they believe any serious shelter-in-place will happen again. Illinois' governor got sued left and right and back country judges held him up enough toward the end that I don't see how he could even try to do anything statewide again. Chuds nationwide took note. The president has set the tone for the country at this point. I'm prepared to hear "well it's not that bad here" with "here" being as super localized as possible to allow people to brush it off.

They’ll try to sue in some states and they’ll probably succeed in some localities but maybe not everywhere. In Oregon a back country judge tried to declare Gov. Browns shutdown order null and void for not having the legislature extend the order past 28 days and he was overruled by the state Supreme Court yesterday.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
god what is so malignant and cancerous about merican culture that a large % of the pop go "gently caress you dad i'm going to do deadly thing" then complain how mom should have done a better job at making them not do deadly thing.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

PhazonLink posted:

god what is so malignant and cancerous about merican culture that a large % of the pop go "gently caress you dad i'm going to do deadly thing" then complain how mom should have done a better job at making them not do deadly thing.

Mostly it's just that American media got deregulated in the 1980s and created the for-profit conservative shock radio / television industry. That's honestly the core of all of it.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

We saw the late may to early June lull in cases a month before it happened, which means businesses and conservatives saw it as well. They planned and schemed and used this period to create this notion that it's over, the worst is over never to return. They largely succeeded because opening means you are unlikely to close again.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

We've spent 250 years using "freedom" to mean "my freedom to gently caress over/enslave/indenture my neighbors for personal benefit", and then glorifying it as good ol' American Self-Reliance and Bootstraps.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

since the protests started about two weeks ago, should we be seeing some upticks in major cities right about now? or is it still too early to tel

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

eke out posted:

unless this is swiftly controlled, there won't be any public events in florida in august

it's not going to be swiftly controlled, of course, because DeSantis is in pure denial right now. but all-time record cases now back on an exponential curve mean it's all-but certain we'll have to shutdown again unless things get radically better on their own, because florida will be worse than New York at its peak within a few weeks from now

I wish I could believe that conservative states will shutdown, but all indications point to the horrific belief that sacrificing human lives is worth it to these bastards. We are spiking in Texas, Abbot was given those same numbers and in the same day continued ramping up opening. I don't trust any of these people to really give a poo poo about anyone outside their social circle.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Svanja posted:

I wish I could believe that conservative states will shutdown, but all indications point to the horrific belief that sacrificing human lives is worth it to these bastards. We are spiking in Texas, Abbot was given those same numbers and in the same day continued ramping up opening. I don't trust any of these people to really give a poo poo about anyone outside their social circle.
Guess what. Gold boy gavin in CA said the same thing "we can't stop it now!" Just wait till the bodies hit the floor.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Do we know if the virus can be pulled into ACs and dispersed through a house that way? Or do you need the sick person to have air blown across them?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I have no faith that DeSantis is going to do anything except make excuses for why the case increase is not a problem

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

We need to "leak" an "official antifa™ memo" that mentions the strong reliance on lax/expired lockdowns to carry out "official antifa™ business" like bussing supersoldiers into towns with a three digit population.

Svanja posted:

(Un?)fortunately duval county doesn't seem as impacted.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Presumably there’ll be a lot of traffic into that area from surrounding area.

SC posted another 770, pulling a tie with yesterday’s record.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Fifteen of Many posted:

SC posted another 770, pulling a tie with yesterday’s record.

Sounds like they flattened the curve!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
what if we flatten the curve by making a vertical asymptote?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bashez posted:

Do we know if the virus can be pulled into ACs and dispersed through a house that way? Or do you need the sick person to have air blown across them?

I don't know the former, but HK did some research and determined (via detailed contact tracing) that one pocket of outbreak started at a restaurant, and only the patrons that were sitting downstream on AC's airflow from a single infected person got infected. The rest of the restaurant was fine.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The NBA is going to have to bail out of its plans to restart. Florida is going to be hell by July.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

PT6A posted:

My province was down to 10 new cases per day when we decided to start re-opening poo poo, and now no one's taking distancing and masks seriously and we're back up to 40/day.

40 whole cases a day?

I feel like the USA is driving me insane, if we had only 40 cases a day in my city they'd be'd throwing victory parties here.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Cheesus posted:

The same Gen Xer's unvaccinated kids.

the Vermont antivaxxer thing is bipartisan, loving weird, and not something I was prepared for.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Can you imagine what would happen if China locked down again?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Bashez posted:

Not a doctor, but I doubt this would be an issue unless some dingaling is actually licking your AC intake.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Bashez posted:

It absolutely can, there were several stories of office buildings in Asia spreads the virus through their central ac/heating systems. Alota places haven't turned on their ac even as summer comes along.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 13, 2020

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Danknificent posted:

This is how I feel in my workplace. I'm still struggling with it. I get and accept that an economically devastating lockdown was too much for our ignorant and individualist country to handle, but our inability to *just wear masks*, the literal bare minimum, is still mindblowing to me in 2020.

Just going to say that this attitude isn't universal.

A friend recently got called back into her office as part of a small skeleton crew doing alternating shifts, with no more than four people in the office at a time. Both shifts were made up of people that volunteered to come back in and agreed to practice strong social distancing outside of the office. One of the people who was supposed to be in the other shift posted some pictures on her Facebook of her at the casinos the day they reopened, and she's been banned from the office indefinitely and is in generally a whole lot of trouble right now.

This is all happening at just a generic office that does business advisory work, so it's hardly some extremely high-risk workplace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

enraged_camel posted:

Can you imagine what would happen if China locked down again?

Uh, it sounds like they already have and it doesn't sound good...from BBC

The outbreak has been linked to the city's largest wholesale market.

A total of 45 people out of 517 tested at the Xinfadi market tested positive for Covid-19, a district official said. None were displaying symptoms.

Lockdowns have been imposed in 11 nearby neighbourhoods, while 10,000 market staff will be tested.