Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Combat Pretzel posted:

The upcoming Star Wars Squadrons, which is supposed to be some X-Wing/Tie Fighter type of game, will apparently come with VR support.

Is this another Oculus exclusive? Haven't heard of this. Is this the remake of the 90's PC games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Penpal posted:

Is this another Oculus exclusive? Haven't heard of this. Is this the remake of the 90's PC games?

It hasn't been announced officially yet.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Penpal posted:

It was leaked through a Microsoft Store posting, so likely not. Not sure where the OP is getting the VR support story from though, because as far as I know the only thing we know is this: https://twitter.com/EAStarWars/status/1271502677667528704

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I saw the VR support item as well so hopefully that is the case. We’ll likely have to wait until the actual announcement to find out more.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Some dude called Jeff Grubb posted this somewhere on that Twitter thread. People seem to care about his opinion. --edit: Then again, there's also speculation that it'll be PSVR only.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Combat Pretzel posted:

Then again, there's also speculation that it'll be PSVR only.

They did that with the VR portions of battlefront 2 so I wouldn’t put it past them to do it again.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

EA recently abandoned their Origin-only PC release policy, so there's a good chance that this will be a Steam release :ocelot:

Is/was the Vader Immortal stuff Oculus-only? Seems like a Star Wars flight simulator would be a great low-horsepower simulator that would run great on the Quest

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

its going to launch as a Nintendo labo VR exclusive.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Is/was the Vader Immortal stuff Oculus-only? Seems like a Star Wars flight simulator would be a great low-horsepower simulator that would run great on the Quest

Vader Immortal is probably a bad comparison. Id prefer if it didn't look like a ps3 launch title and lasted longer than 30 minutes.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If you've upgraded to Windows 10 v2004 and your Lighthouses are a pain in the rear end, there's a third party tool to power them up and down via Bluetooth. I presume it requires a separate BT transceiver in the case of the Index.

https://github.com/nouser2013/lighthouse-v2-manager/

Other in the relevant Steam support forum thread, some guy found out that it's possible to reliably control the Lighthouses via a custom Python script, even in v2004, so it's sure interesting that SteamVR itself is tripping over itself in the newest Windows update.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Combat Pretzel posted:

Other in the relevant Steam support forum thread, some guy found out that it's possible to reliably control the Lighthouses via a custom Python script, even in v2004, so it's sure interesting that SteamVR itself is tripping over itself in the newest Windows update.
Mine are still working fine under 2004 but didn't work for ~2 years through a full Windows reinstall so this is not shocking at all.

Glad to see there's finally more ways to manipulate them when SteamVR fails to do the job though.

Also holy poo poo it's been over four years since us early adopters were getting our first headsets.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Just ordered a Quest :shepspends:

Looking forward to activities like such as:
Zenning the gently caress out to Tetris Effect, and
Playing Monster Hunter World over VD so it fills my entire field of vision :black101:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Do yourself a favor, pick up a USB battery pack, a short A to C cord, and some velcro to strap it to the back of the head strap. The quest is pretty heavy and it pressing into your face hurts after a while. And the included battery only lasts a couple of hours so that solves two problems at once.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Great Beer posted:

Do yourself a favor, pick up a USB battery pack, a short A to C cord, and some velcro to strap it to the back of the head strap. The quest is pretty heavy and it pressing into your face hurts after a while. And the included battery only lasts a couple of hours so that solves two problems at once.

It's actually one of the lighter headsets available, it's just badly balanced.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

It feels so much heavier than my buddies Vive I just assumed it was actually heavier. The point stands though, a counterweight will make it much more comfortable.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
I've been having some weird issues with the Oculus Link on my Quest. About a month ago, I bought an Anker cable, installed Oculus, plugged it in, and could run Steam VR fine so I bought Alyx, then promptly got distacted by Doom.

A month later (after several updates to the Quest and my PC) nothing worked. Via Link, my Quest would only play sound; no video. When I connected the Quest to my PC it popped up with a 'There's an error' notification that led to a useless webpage, but the cable test said everything was fine, and the Oculus app Devices screen showed the Quest and Touch controllers fine. This happened whichever of the USB-3 ports I have it was plugged into, and whichever way around the USB-C end of the cable was plugged in. My graphics card (GTX 1060) is on the latest drivers, my USB drivers are on the latest version, the Oculus desktop app and Quest headset are both on the latest version too, updating further wasn't possible.

So, I installed Virtual Desktop on my Quest, SideQuest on my PC and sideloaded the expanded Virtual Desktop to the Quest, then installed the ADB Developer Drivers and Virtual Desktop Streamer on my PC and that worked fine albeit with a slow framerate. So I tried reinstalling the Oculus PC app, and now it's just broken entirely; after installing, it launches on a 'Select input devices' screen which I don't remember getting last time, as it's only valid for the Rift, not the Quest, and it won't recognise that the Quest is already paired with two Touches. Does this even after repeated uninstalls/reinstalls (which is annoying, as it has to redownload the full 5GB installer each time...).

Do I just... give up on the Link? It seems bizarre that Virtual Desktop handles everything absolutely fine, but only if I take a very convoluted route from PC->Ethernet->Router->Wifi->Quest when it could go, like, 1m via a single cable.

Talkie Toaster fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 14, 2020

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Talkie Toaster posted:

I've been having some weird issues with the Oculus Link on my Quest. About a month ago, I bought an Anker cable, installed Oculus, plugged it in, and could run Steam VR fine so I bought Alyx, then promptly got distacted by Doom.

A month later (after several updates to the Quest and my PC) nothing worked. Via Link, my Quest would only play sound; no video. When I connected the Quest to my PC it popped up with a 'There's an error' notification that lied to a useless webpage, but the cable test said everything was fine, and the Oculus app Devices screen showed the Quest and Touch controllers fine. This happened whichever of the USB-3 ports I have it was plugged into, and whichever way around the USB-C end of the cable was plugged in. My graphics card (GTX 1060) is on the latest drivers, my USB drivers are on the latest version, the Oculus desktop app and Quest headset are both on the latest version too, updating further wasn't possible.

So, I installed Virtual Desktop on my Quest, SideQuest on my PC and sideloaded the expanded Virtual Desktop to the Quest, then installed the ADB Developer Drivers and Virtual Desktop Streamer on my PC and that worked fine albeit with a slow framerate. So I tried reinstalling the Oculus PC app, and now it's just broken entirely; after installing, it launches on a 'Select input devices' screen which I don't remember getting last time, as it's only valid for the Rift, not the Quest, and it won't recognise that the Quest is already paired with two Touches. Does this even after repeated uninstalls/reinstalls (which is annoying, as it has to redownload the full 5GB installer each time...).

Do I just... give up on the Link? It seems bizarre that Virtual Desktop handles everything absolutely fine, but only if I take a very convoluted route from PC->Ethernet->Router->Wifi->Quest when it could go, like, 1m via a single cable.

Make sure you're running the beta version of the Oculus software.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
The Quest is only slightly heavier than the Vive, but the weigh distribution and strap design make it easily the most uncomfortable. The Index is a good 25% heavier than the Quest but because it’s well balanced, has the best facial interface and strap system around it’s the most comfortable.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

RandomBlue posted:

Make sure you're running the beta version of the Oculus software.
Ah, cheers- that got it.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I tried Pavlov VR and think it's really good, reminds me of Counter-Strike long ago when goofy usermade maps were common.

I was playing on a big server, like 25-30 players, which rotated through remakes of Counter-Strike maps. It was cool, I was having fun. Then I hosed up with a grenade (prepped it by pulling the pin but unknowingly started cooking it) and blew up some teammates. Was banned by an admin immediately after.

I'm guessing it's a permaban and I have no recourse? I'd like to play there again :(

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Great Beer posted:

Already got you covered with the giant battery I use for my Switch on trips out of town, with a C port on it :v:

Thing has like 8 phone charges or something in it

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
HOLY poo poo FLYBOYS

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1272536397778317312?s=21

STAR WARS SQUADRONS PCVR SUPPORT CONFIRMED

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taintrunner posted:

HOLY poo poo FLYBOYS

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1272536397778317312?s=21

STAR WARS SQUADRONS PCVR SUPPORT CONFIRMED

Eh, it's probably just another multiplayer releaaaaawhat's this about a single player campaign? :stwoon:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
motive studios did the battlefront 2 "single" "player" "campaign", so i'd say wait for player reviews before getting hyped lmao

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Premieres in 2 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0eRkhR1z6A

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

VR for the entire campaign / game and full crossplay confirmed

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1272544930766876673?s=12

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why it’s what I’ve always wanted

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Hopefully it has HOTAS support

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i wonder if campaign is gonna be co-op, that'd be pretty good

Enos Cabell posted:

Hopefully it has HOTAS support

it's on consoles, it'll support controllers and thus in the worst possible case, hotas with a bit of hacking.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

VR for the entire campaign / game and full crossplay confirmed

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1272544930766876673?s=12

Oh god I'm going to vomit so much when this comes out :cry:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If it has proper HOTAS support I’ll definitely be upgrading from the cheap one I have now.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I need a HOTAS for MSFS2020 anyway. I guess there's another reason now.

Also, is it Oculus exclusive, or some multi-platform VR dealio? Or maybe even, gasp, OpenXR?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

I need a HOTAS for MSFS2020 anyway. I guess there's another reason now.

Also, is it Oculus exclusive, or some multi-platform VR dealio? Or maybe even, gasp, OpenXR?

It’s EA so I’m guessing it’s Origin only. Oh wait just checked and Battlefront 2 is currently on Steam so they’ll probably just do that.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s EA so I’m guessing it’s Origin only. How Origins works with VR I have no idea.

Nah EA brought everything over to Steam, it has a steam page up now

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Taintrunner posted:

Nah EA brought everything over to Steam, it has a steam page up now

:nice:

Here’s the link, $40

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s EA so I’m guessing it’s Origin only. Oh wait just checked and Battlefront 2 is currently on Steam so they’ll probably just do that.
I meant the VR headset/runtime support. I'd like it to preferably do SteamVR directly, not some Revive stuff because it's Oculus only or whatever.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

I meant the VR headset/runtime support. I'd like it to preferably do SteamVR directly, not some Revive stuff because it's Oculus only or whatever.

it's on steam so probably uses steamvr

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Am I missing something or is this a preorder for a game without a single frame of in-game play released? People are talking about HOTAS yet I don't even see an indication it's in-cockpit and not 3rd person arcade pew pew like Battlefront. The talk of a handful of particular locations at least sounds much more like Battlefront setpiece shooting than X-Wing.

Happy to be shown otherwise.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
you think they are doing 3rd person vr?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It literally says first-person in the description.

e: also preorders are for rubes, I'm just excited about the game

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 15, 2020