Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Two things:

1) Teersa is just awesome. I even love her stupid hat.

2) Clooooonnnneeesssss!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Can I just say how much I'm enjoying all the reactions :allears:

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

kw0134 posted:

The argument that it's deliberately subverting YA expectations is because if we just wanted to do the "flatten village" opener, they could have easily cut Bast/Vala entirely.

"Subverting YA expectations" only applies if you interpret Horizon Zero Dawn as whose narrative lies within the young adult genre, but I cannot see how you can interpret Aloy and the world's story as a young adult story. Aloy has effectively skipped puberty, she has no interest or teenage-awkwardness in romance, and despite her isolation for 18 years, she is extraordinarily affable and charismatic. The themes and conflicts in the narrative are not connected to Aloy's age or immaturity.

Having Bast/Vala die is a common trope. Their deaths serve two functions. First, primarily, as Aloy's rivals who nearly beat her, having so easily died to a minigun shows how powerful this weapon is especially in a post-post apocalyptic world where the main weapons of choice are bows and arrows. And secondly, they serve as some emotional weight to an unnamed mass of Aloy's competitors. From Aloy's and your perspective, would you really care if the Nora village actually die? Maybe if Teb died, maybe if Teersa died, and Rost was not part of the village. You may not even care about Bast and Vala; I know I don't, but having named faces for the Proving massacre give more weight than whomever died in the War Party ambush. Also, Vala's death allows you and Aloy to develop some ground to understand Sona to whom you have not been properly introduced.

edit: grammar and clarity

Flair fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 13, 2020

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Flair is right. We gotta give the characters other than Aloy some stake in this too. If she was the only one in danger at the Proving, the Nora could all be like Resh and just kick Aloy out, chosen one or not. But she wasn’t the only one in danger there, and she wants to help avenge those lucky enough to escape. Let’s not forget that she also has the skill to do that- she took down the guy with the mini gun and a lot of other jerks before Crispin Freeman showed up. And she won the Proving, which serves to get her to the village when it’s in danger and put her next to the other victims of the killers. Having Aloy go out to avenge the friends she just made (and the foes too, she may not care about Bast but she’s still after his killers) fits with the game’s larger theme put forward in Rost’s final lesson. You need to serve a purpose larger than yourself. You need to do good for the tribe, he says, and Aloy expands that to the world.

We will see this theme again.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Rewarding big families is a great idea and survival strategy.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Scalding Coffee posted:

Rewarding big families is a great idea and survival strategy.

lol

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

achtungnight posted:

Flair is right. We gotta give the characters other than Aloy some stake in this too. If she was the only one in danger at the Proving, the Nora could all be like Resh and just kick Aloy out, chosen one or not. But she wasn’t the only one in danger there, and she wants to help avenge those lucky enough to escape. Let’s not forget that she also has the skill to do that- she took down the guy with the mini gun and a lot of other jerks before Crispin Freeman showed up. And she won the Proving, which serves to get her to the village when it’s in danger and put her next to the other victims of the killers. Having Aloy go out to avenge the friends she just made (and the foes too, she may not care about Bast but she’s still after his killers) fits with the game’s larger theme put forward in Rost’s final lesson. You need to serve a purpose larger than yourself. You need to do good for the tribe, he says, and Aloy expands that to the world.

We will see this theme again.
I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying here, because I'm not writing that the Proving itself shouldn't take place. Or that the massacre wasn't needed. These are all required to setup the real arc of the story. Until now you're on a pretty basic plot of outsider who needs to prove herself. Okay, we got the training montage, we've got our mentor figure, we've got an introduced rival/friend/teammate, we've got the Big Day that you've been training for. Then the game swerves and says "welp, everything got superceded, good luck out there!" which is a fascinating bit of story fuckery because, well, everything you've trained for is not for naught, but it's definitely NOT what the game was setting you up for until this juncture. After all, the part when poo poo started going down was when everyone got to the finish line -- Aloy could have been dead last, but she finished, was going to be made a brave, as soon as everyone steps up and do their religious ceremony and oh snap is that a minigun. Then PLOT happens at a pretty rapid string that serves as a huge clean break from the prologue.

Flair posted:

Having Bast/Vala die is a common trope. Their deaths serve two functions. First, primarily, as Aloy's rivals who nearly beat her, having so easily died to a minigun shows how powerful this weapon is especially in a post-post apocalyptic world where the main weapons of choice are bows and arrows.
The basic problem is that they've been introduced so quickly and went away so quickly that we don't get any idea of their qualities as a brave. Bast dying with all his bravado stripped was interesting, but otherwise the minigun...kind of speaks for itself! It's pretty obvious that if your best weapon is a bow, then something that churns out a 100RPM is pretty drat devastating! You're running with your crew, a good dozen strong, and they just get mowed down. I think we can quibble over the effectiveness of introducing characters and then immediately killing them, but for sheer "wtf just happened" it stands on its own.

As far as whether it's specifically a YA game, no, but it's clearly a bildungsroman which for obvious reasons takes a lot of the same ideas. This is not to say this is for a juvenile audience, but there's a lot of overlap involved.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

kw0134 posted:

The basic problem is that they've been introduced so quickly and went away so quickly that we don't get any idea of their qualities as a brave.

I agree their introduction and prompt conclusion were very weak narratives. The story could have done something else to make for a nuance story. That being said, we know, based on the close finish in the proving, that Vala and Bast are almost as capable as her which is saying a little more about them than her since Vala and Bast do not use a focus. And thanks to Vala and Bast, a few of the other newly appointed braves manage to escape before the minigun shows up.

kw0134 posted:

Bast dying with all his bravado stripped was interesting, but otherwise the minigun...kind of speaks for itself! It's pretty obvious that if your best weapon is a bow, then something that churns out a 100RPM is pretty drat devastating! You're running with your crew, a good dozen strong, and they just get mowed down. I think we can quibble over the effectiveness of introducing characters and then immediately killing them, but for sheer "wtf just happened" it stands on its own.

We know what a minigun is capable of, but Aloy and the others do not know. Vala dies from using a wooden statue as cover; the cover normally stops arrows, but bullets just go through. Aloy gets to see that. And in this interactive medium, Aloy herself may get to use the gun herself to see how much quickly she can kill with it than with arrows and sticks.

Anyway, I do like how Bast's bravado is peeled away, and thus we get to see that he is a reliable teammate who cares about the people around him. He actually saves Aloy from the minigun fire, and he is upset when Vala dies.

kw0134 posted:

As far as whether it's specifically a YA game, no, but it's clearly a bildungsroman which for obvious reasons takes a lot of the same ideas. This is not to say this is for a juvenile audience, but there's a lot of overlap involved.

I know about bildungsromans, and I know that bildungsroman narratives can be written outside of the YA genre with YA characters such as "It" by Stephen King. Nevertheless, I disagree that this story is a bildungsroman. The narrative is instead following the hero's journey. Aloy is venturing outside, probably going to stop a second machine war as she learns to command them, and then come back to the Nora as a legendary hero. Now, there are no reasons why a given narrative cannot be both, but I do not see any major flaws in Aloy's moral or psychological character that can be attributed to her age or immaturity. She risks her own safety to help those in need, she can talk to others, etc.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

OutofSight posted:

When Aloy enters the chamber with the "Identyscan"-door, there is something like a metal "pinecone" hanging from the ceiling. This is the the tip of one of those octopus arms of that giant metal squid sitting there on the moutain, isn't it? :stare:

Edit: Oh... "Where All-mother defeated slayed the metal devil." This wasn't just a figure of speech.

Probably explains why the other matriarch doesn't like us. She likely figures we got dropped out of that instead of shoved out of the door.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
bildungsromans and hero's journeys are not entirely mutually exclusive.

also credit where it is owed, Mathijs de Jonge is a solid director and GG's writing is a lot subtler and nuanced than a laot of people give them credit for. The Killzone series is more clever than its reputation as a glorified tech demo gives it--people expressed disbelief that H:ZD was made by the same developers. partly I think the problem was that the people who would've appreciated the nuance in storytelling weren't attracted to another sci-fi space nazi FPS, whereas the people who DID play Killzone didn't give a poo poo about the plot and just want to play space nazi team fortress.

I still think Rico Velasquez is one of the most interesting and complex anti-heroes/villains to be porteayed in an FPS. the man is preeminently hateable in a myriad of ways, but also deeply human and deeply sympathetic.

what i'm trying to say is...

kw0134 posted:

Of course it could be accidental, or they might have planned something different with this sequence and it was cut, or any number of things. It could also be a gross mismanagement of the project early on :v:

...I don't think any of what we're reading into this is accidental or good fortune after gross mismanagement! this is the quality of writing i expect from these devs!

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Dash Rendar posted:

bildungsromans and hero's journeys are not entirely mutually exclusive.

Yes, I agree. Like I said, "there are no reasons why a given narrative cannot be both". An excellent example would be the Persona series.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
that means the Minigun Dude is the Threshold Guardian and that's a pretty metal guardian to have.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
A lot of characters in the game could be Threshold Guardians. Rost intended the Sawtooth he pitted Aloy against to be one, didn’t exactly work out that way but it still counts. Bast makes a good Distraction or Starter Villain as someone Aloy needs to overcome, Lansra too. The Corrupter is a machine none of the Nora has ever seen or fought before, and it can slave other machines to its will. Aloy can see it’s weak to fire and she defeats one. And of course there’s Crispin Freeman knocking aside arrows with his bracers and killing our mentor while being too tough for us to beat and yet too dumb to finish us off once he has us down. Perhaps the best heroes have a threshold they continually adjust behind guardians they need to defeat.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I really love the story speculations. I feel almost sad that I can't participate as I already know the plot.

achtungnight posted:

A lot of characters in the game could be Threshold Guardians. Rost intended the Sawtooth he pitted Aloy against to be one, didn’t exactly work out that way but it still counts. Bast makes a good Distraction or Starter Villain as someone Aloy needs to overcome, Lansra too. The Corrupter is a machine none of the Nora has ever seen or fought before, and it can slave other machines to its will. Aloy can see it’s weak to fire and she defeats one. And of course there’s Crispin Freeman knocking aside arrows with his bracers and killing our mentor while being too tough for us to beat and yet too dumb to finish us off once he has us down. Perhaps the best heroes have a threshold they continually adjust behind guardians they need to defeat.
It is more that all works of sufficient length have subplots that follow the basic outline of a story that can be analysed separately. While still being part of the larger story and being composed of encounters that follow their own tension curve.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
^^^
what VS said

though so far this encounter feels like it makes a strong case for the "Initiation" part of the cycle. and what with spotting the Aloy look-alike. now we're at the part where Aloy will truly begin her transformation.

(i may he offbase. i am admittedly listening to the vids while doing chores rather than sitting and actively watching)

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

An on another topic, are there are any games where the Protag's parental figure doesn't die?

Besides like, Pokemon

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The new God of War?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I too like how Teersa's language helps sell the religious aspect of what's going on. She took in the same information Aloy and the audience did but contextualized it in an accurate (if religiously flowery) version when telling the other Matriarchs.

kw0134 posted:

The basic problem is that they've been introduced so quickly and went away so quickly that we don't get any idea of their qualities as a brave. Bast dying with all his bravado stripped was interesting, but otherwise the minigun...kind of speaks for itself! It's pretty obvious that if your best weapon is a bow, then something that churns out a 100RPM is pretty drat devastating! You're running with your crew, a good dozen strong, and they just get mowed down. I think we can quibble over the effectiveness of introducing characters and then immediately killing them, but for sheer "wtf just happened" it stands on its own.
Bast/Vala's deaths are definitely more in service to the 'wtf a machingun' sentiment than establishing them as characters. Because it's ALSO a common trope for those characters to survive despite the odds. But it's not just in service to that moment.
Their deaths also serve to set the tone of the story. In a lighter toned story they would have survived and lived to back Aloy up in some way. Nothing makes comrades like shared danger. But they didn't. So it's darker. It does make the corrupter's appearance and attack vector a bit extra scary/intense for it too.

It's a tradeoff and a deliberate decision to do it this way and IMO it's effective enough. Bast and Vala had enough of an introduction to sell the 'twist' of their death.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

An on another topic, are there are any games where the Protag's parental figure doesn't die?

Besides like, Pokemon

Mass Effect 1 if you pick the Spacer origin (mum calls you on the space phone) and Stardew Valley (you get letters from your parents), but like Pokemon that might fall into the bracket of "not dead because barely present". Celeste would also be in that category. If you allow games in the "save your parent" bracket, Dishonored 2 as Emily, and Crypt of the Necrodancer? The only game I can think of where your parental figure is definitely not dead, is a significant character in the story as it progresses but is not either in distress or the actual villain would be your father in Long Live the Queen...whose story opens immediately after your mother's funeral.

I guess, depending on how you interpret the story of the game, Portal 2?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Crono's mom

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always read Teersa as always intending to make Aloy a seeker due partially to her not giving a poo poo about nora laws. She'll go anywhere, talk to anyone and do ANYTHING she sets her mind to, not giving a drat for taboos. Whether she won the proving or just completed it, Teersa may have told her what she needed anyway due to being born of the mountain. Any other Seeker would be useless due to hesitating to go somewhere that they weren't ~supposed~ to. I also like the treatment of Larsa and Resh, everyone hates both of them because they are assholes. Larsa's constantly being talked over and dismissed by Teersa because she's a dumb idiot.

Also the Allmother statues around town are neat because she is portrayed as having the same tentacles as the Metal Devil.

There is a cool visual thing in the embrace that I don't know if you know about, nothing collectible there or of any plot relevance, it's just a cool visual thing in the Embrace that's not immediately obvious. Let me know if it's OK to elaborate. I have a video I made of it to show it off for my friends.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 15, 2020

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
In the cutscene where Teersa makes Aloy the seeker, she hands over the "mark of the seeker" but they don't show what it is. I couldn't see any differences in Aloy in the rest of the video, and wondered if the mark was something you have to show people, like a scroll, which is otherwise kept in the inventory.

So, I got curious and, googled it. It turns out, the mark is visible and looks like this:

Now, that looks significant and large, but when you zoom out you realise it's just a tiny little thing she wears on her belt that you can barely see.

Linked because it's an outfit and area of the map we haven't seen yet, but I can't see anything in it which looks like it's actually a spoiler. I added the not worksafe tags because some people run extensions which automatically turn urls into imgs.

:nws:https://i.imgur.com/OLdrDya.jpg:nws:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I added the not worksafe tags because some people run extensions which automatically turn urls into imgs.

are you saying you're okay with exposed midriffs you heathen

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

BioEnchanted posted:

There is a cool visual thing in the embrace that I don't know if you know about, nothing collectible there or of any plot relevance, it's just a cool visual thing in the Embrace that's not immediately obvious. Let me know if it's OK to elaborate. I have a video I made of it to show it off for my friends.
Sure, that's not spoilers.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Besides like, Pokemon

I'd say Xenoblade Chronicles, the protagonist's actual parents are dead but his two mentors don't die. (In XC2 the daddy figure gets reborn as a cute sidekick, that should count as being dead.)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Sure, that's not spoilers.

Basically, there is a river in the west leading to a machine nest, in the tutorial part of the map before it even opens up - you find an enormous tree that's set at an angle that you can jump up (there is a steep rock as a ramp that leads to the more horizontal part, it's a running jump from there). If you jump all the way up, then partway there is an area with a crack in the branch/trunk you can fall down in to go inside it and you see half the "tree" is actually an ancient airplane or something like that. I left the video out of the post because there is a small mission description spoiler.

This is a pic of the tree in question:

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 16, 2020

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
So two things.

1: When I was a sailor I learned how to do a lot of fancy knotwork and I loved it. Seeing all the ropework all over the village makes me very happy but also makes me think, "That is a LOT of manhours put into making fancy stuff."

2: That does not look like a minigun. Maybe an autocannon.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

"That is a LOT of manhours put into making fancy stuff."

That's just something people do. The bit from the director of Fury Road about how 'even in the wasteland, people will seek to make beautiful things' is real true.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Night10194 posted:

That's just something people do. The bit from the director of Fury Road about how 'even in the wasteland, people will seek to make beautiful things' is real true.

This exemplifies my biggest beef (other than the atrocious writing) with FO3 & 4. It's 200+ yrs after the apocalypse, and everything still looks like recent warzone.

So seeing a post-post-apocalypse society like the Nora actually building new things, and making art, is really really nice.

IdleHands
May 30, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

So two things.

1: When I was a sailor I learned how to do a lot of fancy knotwork and I loved it. Seeing all the ropework all over the village makes me very happy but also makes me think, "That is a LOT of manhours put into making fancy stuff."
:respek: Agreed!
Back when I used to work on bulk cargo ships, every now and then we'd get an older guy who really knew his knots.
The guy could be hungover to hell and back, barely know who and where he is, but his splices were always so drat elegant.

Night10194 posted:

AltaBrown posted:

This exemplifies my biggest beef (other than the atrocious writing) with FO3 & 4. It's 200+ yrs after the apocalypse, and everything still looks like recent warzone.

So seeing a post-post-apocalypse society like the Nora actually building new things, and making art, is really really nice.

Thanks y'all for putting into words what was and is bugging me about a lot of post-(post)-apocalypse fiction.

It's like everyone is content to just sit in a mound of rubble and detritus - and if you have a hole to poo poo into, that's a luxury.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
The clothing's another thing I really like about the setting, too often in media designers assume that sewing with anything finer than huge leather straps is strictly an early modern invention, rather than being one of humanity's oldest technologies. Most people in the game have clothing that looks skilfully made, rather than everyone running around in some "primitive" ill-fitting rags or cutting about in grimy pre-war suits or whatever.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That's also true of the architecture, people like living in places that, if they can't make them excellent, are at least defined, and a big one is defining inside and outside, no one likes having see through walls or floors and whatnot, and that's something that holds true no matter the construction material, concrete, rough hewn stone, steel and glass and fiberglass, dried mud bricks, wood, scavenged sheets of corrugated iron.

Just having a hole in your wall that isn't explicitly a window or a door is something we hate and we'll just fix it, in some way or another.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Or like in Skyrim where every wooden home has massive holes and gaps in every surface.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Look, man, the artist who worked on the godrays had a particularly sharp pencil, no one wanted to mess with him, so~

Who am I kidding, some manager just wanted a whole bunch of godrays so it got put in everywhere.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The one that gets me worse of all is the crummy stockades. Oh, they have to look primitive so that means sloppy and full of holes, but no, the stockade exists to keep out wild animals, if wild dogs can slip in, it's no good, and if they can, the inhabitants, be they exiled kids or bandits, will fix it because gently caress having wild dogs make it in, threaten you and snack on your food.

I'm happy we haven't sen any of that yet.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Wide open spaces

We're heading out into the great beyond. As we pass through the gate a young man is stabbing the poo poo out of a robit. This is Varl, and he's a cool dude. He's Vala's brother ( :smith: ) and Sona's son. Sona being the warchief. He asks us to go look for her since she disappeared after the war party got their rear end handed to them. We make a non-committal answer but we will do that pretty much right away. This is an optional quest even though it's listed under main. You don't have to do it now, and you don't have to do it at all. Your choice in the matter comes up later.

Riding around we meet a rather strange fellow named Nil. He has a thing for bandits. Well, killing them anyway. We can meet up with him later outside a bandit camp. And then we discover our first Tallneck. They're kind of a Diplodocus thing with a flat head. The head is actually some kind of radar/sonar and overriding one will uncover a chunk of the map. There are 10 in the game, and we get some idea of just how goddamn big the map really is. Keep in mind what's shown is just a small corner. 10 tallnecks, multiply area by 10 and that'll give you some scale.

Then we track Sona down. Sona does not gently caress around. It's really nice to see the war chief is a woman and PoC at that. She takes us to a camp full of the bad guys to raid. The actual fireworks will be next video.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Reveilled posted:

The clothing's another thing I really like about the setting, too often in media designers assume that sewing with anything finer than huge leather straps is strictly an early modern invention, rather than being one of humanity's oldest technologies. Most people in the game have clothing that looks skilfully made, rather than everyone running around in some "primitive" ill-fitting rags or cutting about in grimy pre-war suits or whatever.

I love the clothing design, it's realistically skillful like you say, and I can never get enough of the twist from cliche animal bones and such to old machine parts. So good.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Finally, we meet Nil. We're gonna run into him a few more times, and he's...interesting to say the least. For a couple reasons, but to say more would be spoilers for his questline.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Tallnecks are awesome, they're like something out of a Roger Dean painting. They're another thing I spend an inordinate time on in photo mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Playing Death Stranding, the first time I went by a shelter with a big ol' tallneck holo I was like "Is that a loving tallneck?" :iia: