Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
There will always be a sale exactly three weeks after you buy something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

morestuff posted:

This is why I’m gonna get my cx from Costco

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

kri kri posted:

The free year of warranty is nice too! I bought my Vizio PQ65 from them and it had this intermittent issue where both video and audio would randomly blank for a few seconds. Vizio sent a repair person to replace the motherboard and it’s been solid for a week now.

Also I got it at an insane discount last July for $700. I had to drive to a location an hour away but everything closer had it for $1200-1500. When you’re in store, try asking them to look up pricing in their system if you have a bunch of locations in a 100 mi radius.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

morestuff posted:

Well I just pulled the trigger onine now from best buy so, other dude, wait three weeks and it'll be on better sale.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I wonder if it's possible to go to best buy and talk them into holding that $200 gift card for me if I can put a little money down toward it now (I can't get it til next sunday).

I mean I'd expect them to tell me to go gently caress myself if it was for a dvd player or something, but who knows maybe someone in sales can make something happen since it's for a $2000 tv since that gift card is my make it or break it for getting it through BB.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
So I'm getting a CX 55" delivered Monday and I figure now is when I should actually figure out how to set up my receiver right. What mode should it be in? I currently have 2 tower speakers a center speaker and a subwoofer. I have the receiver set to "direct" mode but I have no idea what it is I should actually do. I've never been happy with my sound setup really.

I have the little microphone that came with the receiver and did that set up but there are 100 other settings that I just don't know wtf.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

kri kri posted:

The Costco cx has a different model number, ends in AUA instead of PUA. Is that meaningful?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Listerine posted:

The Costco cx has a different model number, ends in AUA instead of PUA. Is that meaningful?

Usually the warehouse stores have subtle model number differences and they functionally mean nothing, or occasionally add features.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Cozmosis posted:

Usually the warehouse stores have subtle model number differences and they functionally mean nothing, or occasionally add features.

I think it's also to prevent price matching?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
^ Especially with/against Walmart.

In the case of the TCL 615/617, it can also be a regional difference of which streaming services are on the dedicated remote buttons.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Now more drama for my indecisive rear end. Best Buy has the TCL 8 series on sale for $999, thats a $300 difference from the Hisense H8G, but I'm wondering if at that price its better bang for your buck.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Comfortador posted:

Now more drama for my indecisive rear end. Best Buy has the TCL 8 series on sale for $999, thats a $300 difference from the Hisense H8G, but I'm wondering if at that price its better bang for your buck.

I think the 8 series was ultimately a disappointing series for what they were promising but likely still a good bit better than the H8G

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

BonoMan posted:

I think the 8 series was ultimately a disappointing series for what they were promising but likely still a good bit better than the H8G

300 dollars better?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Josh Lyman posted:

The free year of warranty is nice too! I bought my Vizio PQ65 from them and it had this intermittent issue where both video and audio would randomly blank for a few seconds. Vizio sent a repair person to replace the motherboard and it’s been solid for a week now.

Also I got it at an insane discount last July for $700. I had to drive to a location an hour away but everything closer had it for $1200-1500. When you’re in store, try asking them to look up pricing in their system if you have a bunch of locations in a 100 mi radius.

We bought a PQ65 for $850 including wall mounting on an Amazon special in December and are incredibly pleased, given the price. I mean, sure, it's not on OLED but it has a great picture at a price we didn't have to think a lot about as a long term investment. I'm still waiting to see what is going to happen in the next year or two with other technologies or the price bottom falling out on OLED.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Comfortador posted:

300 dollars better?

I can't quantify that for you. What're you looking for usage wise?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Comfortador posted:

300 dollars better?
I'd pay that to ensure I get the Roku OS, personally.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So I have been doing some reading.

The C9 was the 2019 model of the OLED by LG. It's pretty amazing all things considered and supports 2.1 HDMI and all stuff that will make the PS5 look amazing.

The B9 is the reduced price version of the C9, but is still an amazing OLED, but a bit cheaper and less flashy. It is also a 2019 model but came out more recently?

The CX, is this years version of the OLED, but hasn't wowed everyone in the way that the C9 did.
And the CX came out recently so it's going to be a long while until a B version of the CX (a BX if you will) will come out?

Just wondering if the B9 would be worth buying as it's about €300 cheaper than the C9.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I bought a B9 because I needed a 65" and the price point was pretty close to what a 55" C9 would cost

No drat regrets at all.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Edit: I was settled on the 15", but there's a very technical reason why I think the 25" might be preferable. My center speaker is 16.5" deep and the Besta cubbys are only 14" deep. I could cut out a hole in the fiberboard back so the speaker sits flush with the front of the console, but there's a center insert that, if I left off, might be wide enough for my center to poke out the back when vertical in the 25" Besta. Even if it's not wide enough, I'd only have to slice off an inch or two. Plus, I could fit 2 shelves of books under the speaker units which would help with stability, and this render says the long console look remains:

The walnut looked super fake under the IKEA store lighting but white and black-brown had issues too, so I wanted to try it out under my apartment’s lighting. I haven’t installed the shelves yet, but I think it looks okay here. A lot more grey than my coffee table so not sure what I’m going to do there.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Going from my 12 year old 42" LCD Samsung TV to this 55" LG CX is shocking in the difference. I knew my old color was just dying but I had no idea it would be that much of a jump to OLED. Living in the future man.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Chin Strap posted:

Going from my 12 year old 42" LCD Samsung TV to this 55" LG CX is shocking in the difference. I knew my old color was just dying but I had no idea it would be that much of a jump to OLED. Living in the future man.

Like buying new glasses.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The second tv that was shipped by amazon was also 100% busted on arrival.

Does the B9 do everything the C9 can in terms of the PS5? I'm mad/upset and at this point just want a loving tv

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Asema posted:

Does the B9 do everything the C9 can in terms of the PS5? I'm mad/upset and at this point just want a loving tv

Pretty much

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Asema posted:

That sucks your other TV arrived DOA. I hope you get a workable TV soon.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I pick up a new B9 on Friday so hopefully it goes better and the savings I get from that can go elsewhere to improving my house.

It just sucks to buy a new tv, have it be bent inwards at the top and then wait patiently for the replacement only for that one to be busted too. Amazon shipped through Vanns and I will never blast a single company for the millions of things that could have happened, but I'm going to be a little bit weary of that going forward.

Edit; When my partner and I started this process we were moving into our new house, and this upcoming weekend was supposed to be a "drink/relax together and play last of us 2 on an actual tv since we've been using my 27 inch computer monitor as a screen" lmao and if the B9 on friday doesn't shape up or has something wrong with it then I'll probably just cry over a loving TV

Asema fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 16, 2020

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

A best buy magnolia mvc fuckface screwed me out of that $200 gift card by acting like he didn't know what I was talking about when I said I wanted the 65" C9. He then kept trying to upsell me the GX for some reason (the model with no stand and comes with a soundbar that I don't want) over and over while claiming there was no C9 in stock in my tri-state area and didn't know what the CX was. I dunno why he did this since I was friendly and knew exactly what I wanted. Maybe he just thought I was loaded.

I stormed off mad and then the next day I went to another bust buy 6 miles away (I'm in Philadelphia) and they told me they had tons of what I wanted...but their $200 gift card option is gone now. Pretty mad. Very mad. I still might try them again on Sunday to see if they have any fathers' day deals but the guys at the second best buy I went to said those guys in the black magnolia shirts aren't their employees and always try to do that poo poo. $200 gone :(

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
If you can afford it save yourself the hassle and stress and buy the tv you want and move on with just enjoying it imo

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I know! That's the plan! :) I'm not budging but I thought I would share my cautionary best buy tale with the thread! $200 isn't stopping me from getting my dream tv, I just didn't appreciate the guy constantly lying to about it. Been lookin forward to this moment for years now so I get to be pissed off for a few days.

Barring a disaster, I am getting my 65" C9 on Sunday and am gonna post lots in this thread about it so get ready to hear about how sick it is :hellyeah:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

beep by grandpa posted:

I know! That's the plan! :) I'm not budging but I thought I would share my cautionary best buy tale with the thread! $200 isn't stopping me from getting my dream tv, I just didn't appreciate the guy constantly lying to about it. Been lookin forward to this moment for years now so I get to be pissed off for a few days.

Barring a disaster, I am getting my 65" C9 on Sunday and am gonna post lots in this thread about it so get ready to hear about how sick it is :hellyeah:

Costco has the 77” ones in stock at my Costco. Went and had a quick look and they do look nice.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

gently caress me my new 65 CX is unreal. Coming from a vizio is like getting new glasses. Looking forward to some good poo poo!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
My C8 has a few dried waterspots on the screen. They aren’t visible during content, but when the screen is off and the light hits it just right, you can see these waterspots.

Dry microfiber cloths don’t help here. What’s safe to use on the screen? Water? Distilled water? Lens cleaning solution? Infant blood? Something else?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Distilled water and microfiber cloth and maybe some electronics specific cleaner.
Do NOT use anything with chlorine, or ammonia. Maybe alcohol too, I forget.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Asema posted:

:same:

Just got a bent 55” LG B9 shipped from amazon/vanns.

Top right corner bent forward cause the box corner got smashed. Hell yeah!

It came all the way from Arizona to NC for no reason.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Distilled water first. The next step up to use is a drop or two of dawn in a spray bottle of distilled water. You don't need much, just enough to provide some dissolving power.

Alcohol should generally be avoided due to being harsh on coatings but can generally be ok for occasional use at low concentrations.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

UFOTacoMan posted:

:same:

Just got a bent 55” LG B9 shipped from amazon/vanns.

Top right corner bent forward cause the box corner got smashed. Hell yeah!

It came all the way from Arizona to NC for no reason.

Vanns not having a good record so far lmao. I'm sorry that you also got a busted unit, thankfully Amazon's return process during COVID is really easy. Are you doing a replacement or return? If it's a replacement I hope the second one comes safely!!

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I was finally able to find a 77CX. It's impressive that LG can make the tops of these televisions so thin, but at the same time I kind of wish they wouldn't. We were terrified we were going to bend or crack the screen just moving the TV to its stand.

With that out of the way, I'm now trying to find a 10ft long 48Gbps HDMI cable to run from my computer to the TV. Monoprice only carries one make of these things, and it's like 200 drat dollars. Are there any other reputable cable manufacturers to look out for? I'm not sure I trust the sub-$20 cables on Amazon billed as HDMI 2.1.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

2-3 meters (usually closer to two since as you get longer it's harder to ensure it meets spec) is the usually observed limit for HDMI 2.1 passive cable. Anything longer requires active.

So, yeah, 6ft maximum is likely all you are going to see in the passive category for quite awhile. Once you start including everything that's necessary for active cables, it doesn't make sense to try to make a lower margin length like 10ft and you are going to see stuff like 50ft instead.

I'm sure eventually someone will make something, but there's just not much out there yet.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 19, 2020

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Almost Smart posted:

I was finally able to find a 77CX. It's impressive that LG can make the tops of these televisions so thin, but at the same time I kind of wish they wouldn't. We were terrified we were going to bend or crack the screen just moving the TV to its stand.

With that out of the way, I'm now trying to find a 10ft long 48Gbps HDMI cable to run from my computer to the TV. Monoprice only carries one make of these things, and it's like 200 drat dollars. Are there any other reputable cable manufacturers to look out for? I'm not sure I trust the sub-$20 cables on Amazon billed as HDMI 2.1.

It looks like it's a fiber optic cable, which is why it's so expensive. What's funny is that the longer lengths are like $10 more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Monoprice have an 8ft 48gbps cable listed for $16 if that'll stretch.