Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Truly the only number that must. go. up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

To be fair, though, I think Absolution was handled by an outside studio, which is why it ended up the way it did.
Nope. Absolution was all IO.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

I just grab all the freebies even if I know I'll never download them.

:hfive:

More games I'll never play, give me moooooore

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem

Like, if these were physical games, I'd have TV people trying to clear a path to me by now.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

The Kins posted:

Pretty sure it's the best-selling entry in the series too.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Fallom posted:

Yes so as a consequence the Steam integration is super loving busted atm and you have to install an old version to get it working reliably again

The plugin crashes on me at least once a day and randomly disconnects; for a while I had to go through the log in process every other day and also it just straight up didn't work on my Mac

That explains the problem I'm having with Steam integration and it telling me I need to install a game that's already installed.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Kanfy posted:

Pretty sure it's the best-selling entry in the series too.

drat that's a shame. It's just such a bad Hitman experience, 2016 and 2018 were so much better it's frankly sad.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

The Kins posted:

Yeah, I checked after I made that post, and I think I just mixed it up with something else.

What I think did happen was that IOI originally intended the game to be a lot more linear, but they got a lot of negative feedback, so they revamped it.

Testekill posted:

drat that's a shame. It's just such a bad Hitman experience, 2016 and 2018 were so much better it's frankly sad.

:emptyquote:

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I watched a post-mortem on that game and it was clear that there were tons of 'out of the box' thinking going on. It was actually going to be much much worse.

At one point they even seriously considered having all of the assassination parts be in cutscene.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Turning Hitman into a generic 3rd person shooter is truly out of the box thinking. Right into another box.

Edit:

It's not all bad. We got this out of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfYRfpaBwnc

itry fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 13, 2020

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

itry posted:

Turning Hitman into a generic 3rd person shooter is truly out of the box thinking. Right into another box.

Edit:

It's not all bad. We got this out of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfYRfpaBwnc
Wasn't talking about genre so much as story and presentation. Having him be a crazy hobo, not letting the player actually kill the targets it's like they had a meeting where someone said 'hey there's no such thing as a stupid suggestion' and then went with whatever people said and were only later forced to stop making a sequel to Kayne and Lynch.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I remember them being so obsessed with motion performance that they wanted to replace the voice of Agent 47 (David Bateson) with the actor they had. I used to think the most notable thing that actor had done was being on several episodes of Lost, but apparently that really is being Tom Cruise’s first cousin.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mierenneuker posted:

I remember them being so obsessed with motion performance that they wanted to replace the voice of Agent 47 (David Bateson) with the actor they had. I used to think the most notable thing that actor had done was being on several episodes of Lost, but apparently that really is being Tom Cruise’s first cousin.

There was a bunch of that going on in the mid 2010’s. Rockstar wanted to replace James McCaffery as Max Payne in MP3, and SC Blacklist did replace Ironside as Fisher (though that one was understandable- it came out years later that he had cancer but didn’t want to make it public, and he’s back to voicing Fisher in cameos).

Are the versions of Mortal Kombat 1-3 that are one sale any good?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Rockstar wanted to replace James McCaffery as Max Payne in MP3
I believe their public umm-ing and ahh-ing about this was just them trying to give non-answers in interviews while trying to finalize a deal with McCaffery.

They're the MS-DOS versions, so they're not the kind of arcade-perfect ports you'd expect to be commonplace nowadays. All the MK compilations and re-releases have been kind of crap in one way or another, sadly...

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

The Kins posted:

I believe their public umm-ing and ahh-ing about this was just them trying to give non-answers in interviews while trying to finalize a deal with McCaffery.
They're the MS-DOS versions, so they're not the kind of arcade-perfect ports you'd expect to be commonplace nowadays. All the MK compilations and re-releases have been kind of crap in one way or another, sadly...

I think for them to be arcade-perfect they would have to be seriously re-coded. These DOS versions were kind of clunky (especially if you played them from the same keyboard in 2P mode, that was a hell as the opponent could soft lock you pretty easily) when they came out originally.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

There was a bunch of that going on in the mid 2010’s. Rockstar wanted to replace James McCaffery as Max Payne in MP3, and SC Blacklist did replace Ironside as Fisher (though that one was understandable- it came out years later that he had cancer but didn’t want to make it public, and he’s back to voicing Fisher in cameos).

Wasn't Ironside also really unhappy with the direction they took Fisher's character?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Wasn't Ironside also really unhappy with the direction they took Fisher's character?

Ironside spent a lot of the time with the writers helping make Sam Fisher the darkly-humorous protagonist he was for Splinter Cell 1-3.

Sam Fisher in Blacklist literally EVERYTHING Ironside worked to make the character not be like. And I say that otherwise loving the hell out of Blacklist.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Eye of the Beholder trilogy is free for the next two days.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The CRPG Addict covered I and II if you just feel like reading about the games you've just added to your collection.

http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_3.html (just search for "eye of the beholder")

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
In case you’re extremely lazy:

http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2015/05/game-189-eye-of-beholder-1991.html

http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2018/01/game-278-eye-of-beholder-ii-legend-of.html

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Promotional picture pack for Cyberpunk is the freebie for today. 4 GB of images, images, images, looks like.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

Promotional picture pack for Cyberpunk is the freebie for today. 4 GB of images, images, images, looks like.

I'm going to murder anyone who claims this.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
text me

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

come get me

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Why? :confused:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

come get me bitch

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I was very drunk and have absolutely no idea why I posted that, but a promise is a promise.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Anyone knows anything about Scythe?

https://www.gog.com/game/scythe_dig...al_edition_game

Looks my kind of thing but I never heard of it and theres no reviews

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

Anyone knows anything about Scythe?

https://www.gog.com/game/scythe_dig...al_edition_game

Looks my kind of thing but I never heard of it and theres no reviews

It's a digital adaptation of a boardgame: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/169786/scythe

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Scythe is one of those games you can look at it and immediately know if you'll be into it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Scythe is one of those games you can look at it and immediately know if you'll be into it.

And thats how I felt

I just wanted to know if anyone here ever played, and if its good

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

For me, the critical question for boardgames that make it to the screen is, "Can the AI play the game competently, and without cheating?"

If not, the next question is, "Can I handle never winning a game against an online stranger?"

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 10, 2020

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
Also of note, after the discussion of the ARMA games a couple months ago, both ARMA: Cold War Assault and ARMA: Gold Edition are back on GOG, and currently 80% off.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Elias_Maluco posted:

And thats how I felt

I just wanted to know if anyone here ever played, and if its good

I've played the board game, and it's Very Good.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Superhot is on sale for $9.99

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

overmind2000 posted:

Superhot is on sale for $9.99
Worth noting that getting it before the 16th will also get you a free copy of the follow-up, Superhot MIND CONTROL DELETE, upon its release.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The Kins posted:

Worth noting that getting it before the 16th will also get you a free copy of the follow-up, Superhot MIND CONTROL DELETE, upon its release.

Oh cool, I didn't even read that part. That's an even better deal

micpp
Jul 21, 2007
One shall stand, one shall fall

Saoshyant posted:

And on a completely unrelated note, why does Galaxy 2.0 not support Itch.io libraries yet?

So with the whole "all the actual platform integration is crowdsourced" thing there are actually THREE different plugins to get Itch.io libraries in Galaxy 2.0. And none of them totally work right or do everything you'd need them to.

There's sort of a weird thing where some of the plugins end up in the auto-download thing in the options (even though they're still just like fanmade, so the client basically goes and just downloads some code someone uploaded to github in order to hook your steam library in) but some of them don't make it in, I guess there is some sort of vetting but how much they do is a bit of a mystery.

There's a fairly helpful page here that lists the various plugins, including the ones that don't just install automatically: https://github.com/Mixaill/awesome-gog-galaxy

Like I sort of understand why but it is really weird that the flagship feature of their new launcher pretty much entirely relies on unofficial fanmade plugins

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Congrats on being the fourth user to care about itch.io

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
rude