Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh dude, headsets own in just about every game ever. You can really tell who doesn't have one on by how they look for people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's a shame I guess the Resident Evil game isn't taking off. It looked fun.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Sometimes I play survivor on mute while I watch TV, I just run small game and hunt all the totems down, and spine chill so that I know if the killer is on me. Once you're in a chase you can just keep an eye on the killer. Not advised but not impossible I guess. I wouldn't try to play killer without sound though, too tough.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Coolguye posted:

hide or die in particular is literally the worst executed game i have seen in the last 10 years and the developers seem extremely weirdly married to some of their bad decisions so yeah i would recommend not spending even a single second on it.

Coolguye posted:

hide or die in particular is literally the worst executed game i have seen in the last 10 years and the developers seem extremely weirdly married to some of their bad decisions so yeah i would recommend not spending even a single second on it.

The original version was just hilariously bad when I watched it. It's like they to shoehorn a battle royale into whatever idea they were going for.

I saw a few games of the rework they did, and now it basically looks like Dead by Daylight lite.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Leatherface is funny in the sense that, in a game where "Stop camping" is the shrill cry of every whiny survivor, his only gimmick is that he can camp *really* well

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

The Berzerker posted:

Freddy had an entire rework and is now pretty strong. I agree with Coolguye, try the base game and if you get into the groove you can ask us which DLCs are the most bang for your buck. A lot of killers can be purchased with shards (which you earn every time you level up in game) so if you're patient you can sidestep a lot of DLC purchases that way as well.

The way it works is that any killer or survivor that came from a license is not going to be purchasable with shards. So usually the DLCs you'll wanna get if you're planning to grind for some of the characters are licensed DLCs, like Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Leatherface, etc.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

The non-licensed killers feel pretty lame just having fought them a few times. Deathslinger can be screwed over by running around the nearest wall after he's hooked you. Legion feels fundamentally useless if anyone is running a healing setup (read: everyone runs a healing setup). I don't think I quite understand Spirit, she can invisibly go wherever she wants but in exchange she can't see the survivors?

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Spirit's extremely good if you're used to just listening for them instead of looking for them. Stridor, the nurse perk that makes people make more noise, can help a lot for newer spirit players. She's like Nurse in that she can kinda just ignore loops sometimes.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah, Spirit's second only to Nurse. She's extremely good once you get used to survivor noises and watching for stuff like moving grass.

Also Oni is non-licensed, and all it takes is one survivor mistake to get that pain train rolling.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 11, 2020

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I've decided I really like Wraith, I have him at level 4, and I enjoy ringing my bell, also you can fake people out by ringing your bell and making them think you left then...

What add-ons and perks are good?

e: How do I get more memento mori it was so cool murdering a dude with one on the hook.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jun 11, 2020

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

You'll have lots of moris in the later levels, so just keep leveling. You'll start seeing at least one mori per level later on, most of the time. Alternatively, there are some perks that let you kill people, like Rancor, from the Spirit's teachable perks.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

DeathChicken posted:

The non-licensed killers feel pretty lame just having fought them a few times. Deathslinger can be screwed over by running around the nearest wall after he's hooked you. Legion feels fundamentally useless if anyone is running a healing setup (read: everyone runs a healing setup). I don't think I quite understand Spirit, she can invisibly go wherever she wants but in exchange she can't see the survivors?

Franklin's Demise.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Boba Pearl posted:

I've decided I really like Wraith, I have him at level 4, and I enjoy ringing my bell, also you can fake people out by ringing your bell and making them think you left then...

What add-ons and perks are good?

e: How do I get more memento mori it was so cool murdering a dude with one on the hook.

For add-ons, you always want a Windstorm to make your cloaked move speed better. This gives you the ability to zip around the map and pressure generators, as well as the ability to use your power in a chase to speed past people and cut off their escape. The other add-on is a free pick. I like Swift Hunt, but the decloak speed gain is admittedly small. Shadow Dance is also a good choice, as is the green Blind Warrior and either All-Seeing add-ons.

For perks, you wanna get things that lean into his speed. Stuff that rewards hitting lots of people or that gives you something, like info or potential one shots, to quickly capitalize on. He's a good candidate for Sloppy Butcher (Universal), A Nurse's Calling (Nurse), BBQ & Chili (Cannibal), Pop Goes The Weasel (Clown), Make Your Choice (Pig), Surveillance (Pig), and Discordance (Legion). Pop Goes The Weasel can be swapped for Corrupt Intervention (Plague), but Pop is definitely the better pick on a Wraith.

Enduring (Hillbilly) and Brutal Strength (Trapper) are not bad perks for him to help with his chases, especially as you get a feel for running out ahead of people to block them. For a while Enduring + Spirit Fury (Spirit) was the go to combo on him. Hex: Haunted Ground (Spirit) works on him but it needs to be paired with some other Hex perk (like Hex: Ruin) or else better survivors will never break it. Whispers (Universal) is also a fine pick but with his high movement speed he can benefit from more specific info perks.

If you use the purple All-Seeing add-on, you can drop perks that give you information when you get near people like Whispers or A Nurse's Calling.

If you want a build with no teachable perks: Whispers, Sloppy Butcher, Iron Grasp, and Deerstalker or Hex: No One Escapes From Death (last one depends on how much salt you want). Unfortunately his own perks aren't very good, although Shadowborn is useful on the Nurse. My personal build is BBQ, Pop, Make Your Choice, and A Nurse's Calling.

edit: If you're ever curious about what the community thinks about perks, this website is fairly accurate for perks. Note for killer perks this is the general opinion about a given perk. Like Shadowborn is almost always awful, except on Nurse where it's super helpful. Monitor & Abuse is a very good perk, except on a killer like Wraith who can just turn off their terror radius. The killer tier list is pretty bad though. There's no universe where Clown is better than Hag. God, or Freddy being better than Hillbilly and Oni. Their tier list is pretty heavily biased towards ease of use over actual potential.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 11, 2020

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Ha, I glanced at that list to see where they put Trapper, as he's the only one I can fairly consistently take out four people with. Third worst

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
He's one of my favorites, but he is like the fourth or fifth worst killer. He's easily better than Clown and Leatherface, and I'd say he's better than Pig. I'd also say he's better than Legion but that'd require acknowledging that Legion exists. He's still perfectly playable against good survivors so long as you know what you're doing.

I really don't know why they think Clown is so good other than that he's basically impossible to gently caress up. I'm also pretty sure that Doctor placement is because of salty survivors, 'cuz zapping people is fun but it sure as poo poo doesn't beat hatchets or one shots.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 12, 2020

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I find Doc pretty strong since his rework. If you get good at timing your shocks you can effectively break a good loop because the survivor will either have to drop the pallet early to counter the shock, or they eat a hit.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Huntress also forces early pallet drops because if she's got line of sight when you do it you're getting a hatchet in the back. He's better than he was, but he's not better than ranged attacks or teleport traps or "actually you just die now"

S+ tier laugh though

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Best laugh is clown. WEHHHHH HEH HEH HEH

But yeah I agree. I'd put Doc at a solid B, nowhere near as strong as Huntress or Billy or Spirit

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TGLT posted:

I really don't know why they think Clown is so good other than that he's basically impossible to gently caress up. I'm also pretty sure that Doctor placement is because of salty survivors, 'cuz zapping people is fun but it sure as poo poo doesn't beat hatchets or one shots.

Clown might be hard to mess up but I've never found him fun. Stylish, sure, but not fun.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

The Berzerker posted:

Best laugh is clown. WEHHHHH HEH HEH HEH

Not gonna lie, that laugh is about 50% of the reason I like playing Clown.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Also Friday the 13th got a patch. I haven't played in ages, but apparently Jason is invincible in Rage mode now (except to Sweater shenanigans) and they've made it harder to knock off his mask. Predictably people are whining and it's dumb, if you can't beat Jason in 15 minutes he deserves to rip your head off

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
As much as I love F13 I'd say my larger surprise is that there's still people playing to whine.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

F13's playerbase has actually been rising a decent enough deal again, I have no idea why it suddenly bopped up an extra like 500-some people average (From a previous average of like 600 people), but I've hopped back on it a few times recently and the game's still fun as it ever was and hell, even with lower population numbers, it always found me matches quicker than DBD ever did with it's multiples more of unfun jackoffs playing.

And this is also still always worth mentioning when using any of the dumb sites like steamcharts, they still don't read private and friends only profiles, so the numbers are likely a little higher than displayed even.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Coolguye posted:

As much as I love F13 I'd say my larger surprise is that there's still people playing to whine.

Given experiences from friends, they're mostly whining in Russian.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

That game always had an amusingly big Russian audience. One of my first memories of it was playing with randos, hiding in a cabin and Jason cheerfully breaks the door in with a big Russian accent. "I AM KNOCKING AT YOU"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DeathChicken posted:

That game always had an amusingly big Russian audience. One of my first memories of it was playing with randos, hiding in a cabin and Jason cheerfully breaks the door in with a big Russian accent. "I AM KNOCKING AT YOU"

It was pretty great any time they'd wander in. SOme of them could be pretty funny too

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i suppose it makes sense. the slavic sense of humor is pretty much relentlessly morbid so jokes about killing the absolute poo poo out of people seems on point.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I decided to try the red mori on my hag last night because they've been piling up and they just seemed too OP to use.

Yeah, I felt kinda bad but it made for a really quick game. Why do these even exist? Just as a backup when you're having a bad run and don't want to derank?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I jumped on my rank 15 killer last night and promptly got teabagged by a rank 1, a rank 1 and a rank 2, so maybe I should be using red Moris just to balance this game's nonsense :colbert:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Philthy posted:

I decided to try the red mori on my hag last night because they've been piling up and they just seemed too OP to use.

Yeah, I felt kinda bad but it made for a really quick game. Why do these even exist? Just as a backup when you're having a bad run and don't want to derank?

For the cool animation and to blow off some steam really. When they were implemented I kinda doubt they had a good handle on any kind of relative balance and just wanted to add something cool which while you can blame them for lack of forethought, I totally get wanting to add cool animations to add more personality to killers.

The irony though is that it isn't even good at keeping you from deranking because you miss out on two hook events per survivor, and the points from using a mori on someone don't make up for it. At higher ranks moris are a surefire way to safety pip I guess simply because you can stop gens from being fast enough, maybe a single pip if you're really efficent. Gets you poo poo all for BP though and I personally understand the whining from survivors a bit since it has such a radical impact.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Yardbomb posted:

F13's playerbase has actually been rising a decent enough deal again, I have no idea why it suddenly bopped up an extra like 500-some people average (From a previous average of like 600 people), but I've hopped back on it a few times recently and the game's still fun as it ever was and hell, even with lower population numbers, it always found me matches quicker than DBD ever did with it's multiples more of unfun jackoffs playing.

And this is also still always worth mentioning when using any of the dumb sites like steamcharts, they still don't read private and friends only profiles, so the numbers are likely a little higher than displayed even.

There was a sale on Steam not too long ago where the game was like $6. I think that is probably a big reason why.

DeathChicken posted:

Also Friday the 13th got a patch. I haven't played in ages, but apparently Jason is invincible in Rage mode now (except to Sweater shenanigans) and they've made it harder to knock off his mask. Predictably people are whining and it's dumb, if you can't beat Jason in 15 minutes he deserves to rip your head off

From what I have seen, some sweaty people really like to bully Jason players.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

SaffronKit posted:

The irony though is that it isn't even good at keeping you from deranking because you miss out on two hook events per survivor, and the points from using a mori on someone don't make up for it.

Ah, this would explain some things. I thought pips gained/lost were based on how many people you did/didn't kill. Huh.

Looks like it reset. I went from rank 12 to rank 13. So I dropped a color?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah you drop one color from your current rank on the 13th of every month. So if you were rank 9-12 you drop to 13 and so on.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Philthy posted:

Ah, this would explain some things. I thought pips gained/lost were based on how many people you did/didn't kill. Huh.

Looks like it reset. I went from rank 12 to rank 13. So I dropped a color?

Yeah, the 13th of every month is rank reset. Which is basically just another reminder that rank doesn't mean all that much.

Also you rank up based on your emblems. The Devout Emblem is only at iridescent quality if you've killed everyone and also hooked everyone once and also hooked a total of at least 9 times

TGLT fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 14, 2020

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Philthy posted:

Nah, pips are reached by hitting certain thresholds based on the level of emblem you earn in 4 different categories. The game does a good job of explaining what score events positively/negatively impact each emblem if you hover over them on the stats screen.

Suffice to say, killing survivors too quickly will probably only let you safety pip since you'll at least get an Iri gatekeeper emblem, but depending on how the others turn out and how high ranked you are it may not.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

blackguy32 posted:

From what I have seen, some sweaty people really like to bully Jason players.

That patch made the game more unplayable than the bugs. Jason was already obviously overpowered and if the player was so bad he was getting bullied by the nerd with a bat he deserved the humiliation of being macheted on his knees. There were more than enough TPKs already.

Now the defense portion of the game is completely pointless and it’s just a window diving sim.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I always lose an assload of points for letting survivors heal, since whenever I come across a group on a generator I like to whack all of them at least once instead of picking one and chasing them down. Time spent healing is time not spent repairing, plus I almost always run Stridor regardless of who I play :v:

Plus if I manage to find someone I already hooked twice when I barely hooked anyone else, I'll usually whack them and let them go on their way. It's no fun for either of us to kill someone too early

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

weekly font posted:

That patch made the game more unplayable than the bugs. Jason was already obviously overpowered and if the player was so bad he was getting bullied by the nerd with a bat he deserved the humiliation of being macheted on his knees. There were more than enough TPKs already.

Now the defense portion of the game is completely pointless and it’s just a window diving sim.

the game's always been at its worst when 'defense' against jason was a thing you could talk about without laughing so this sounds like a good move to me tbh

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Coolguye posted:

the game's always been at its worst when 'defense' against jason was a thing you could talk about without laughing so this sounds like a good move to me tbh

Yeah you’re right why put weapons in the game at all? Should have just been a dang Dead By Daylight clone maybe it would have survived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jason having the advantage almost always is why it's actually cool and fun, gently caress the counselors.