Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

anime was right posted:

they couldnt poison zoomers with lead so they chose the next best thing

CO2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

AceOfFlames posted:

Here’s the thing: if this virus does apparently cause permanent damage, where are all the testimonies? The articles like “COVID Has Ruined My Health” etc? Almost 8 million infected worldwide and no one can give accounts of what it’s like to recover? gently caress, how is Tom Hanks doing? Anyone checked up on him?

I don’t mean to go all denialist, I am just trying to figure out this insane situation. Are we supposed to stay inside forever? Are people without partners or roommates like me doomed to be alone for the rest of their lives or face a disease that doesn’t even kill them but makes their lives so much worse? That’s a version of hell even I never conceived of.

It will take a bit of time to know with any confidence if it causes permanent lung (or other organ) damage. There's enough information out there now that I think it's likely some people suffer long term effects, but just how long term they are and how commonly it occurs is going to take a bunch of research.

It was one of the reasons I couldn't believe some countries were being to cavalier with this thing, if you let it rip through a country and 10% of the population end up with debilitating lung scarring for the rest of their lives that would be a disaster. Very early on the Chinese were saying that most asymptomatic cases had the ground glass opacity on lung scans; I'm not a doctor but presumably that implies some sort of damage to the lungs which might be permanent in some cases.

The hellworld scenario is the virus only giving 6-12 months immunity to survivors while leaving permanent lung damage that makes them far more susceptible to future infections...

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

yea suburbs of PA are going up because everyone had to go to florida and the shore lol

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Jon Irenicus posted:

I cast "brain fog" on America

It was cast some time ago, do the effects stack if cast multiple times?

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Chronic roni seems a lot like chronic Lyme :thunk:

you mean because they are both real

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

any person born after 1993 can’t breathe… all they know is police brutality, get the covid, vape, air pollution, smoke dabs & cry

mystes
May 31, 2006

Aren't the only things about chronic lyme that are controversial 1) the assertion that there are still bacteria hanging around way later that need to be treated with antibiotics and 2) people who aren't known to have had lyme claiming they have chronic lyme?

However I don't think the assertion that lyme can cause permanent damage that remains after the bacteria are killed is itself controversial?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

lmao i got brain fog after getting lyme disease (yes, the real one, with a bullseye rash, and proper blood tests, and my doctor did a study on post-lyme complications) that wasn't treated properly at first and i'm still suffering lmbo

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
I was thinking today what my criteria was for "it's ok to go to a bar" and "it's ok to not wear a mask in the grocery store" etc etc and I couldn't come up with a good metric. The best I could do is < 5% state positive test rate, 14 day running average state decline, state Rt < 1. That doesn't seem good enough but idk what's better.

What's y'alls?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Yeah in all seriousness lyme can and does gently caress you up for a long time, it's just that there's a cottage industry around selling 'chronic lyme' diagnoses and treatment to healthy people who've never had the disease

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

I was thinking today what my criteria was for "it's ok to go to a bar" and "it's ok to not wear a mask in the grocery store" etc etc and I couldn't come up with a good metric. The best I could do is < 5% state positive test rate, 14 day running average state decline, state Rt < 1. That doesn't seem good enough but idk what's better.

What's y'alls?

i won't stop wearing a mask until it's truly, seriously over

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

even then i really wish wearing masks during cold/flu season would catch on in the US but what do i know

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

What's y'alls?

When I'm vaccinated

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

snoo posted:

I will also wear a mask for the rest of my life.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

what is brain fog and how is it different from regular lethargy

Morbus
May 18, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

To add to this, I'm sorry if this makes me look like a naive idiot, but it just boggles me how people have previously been so wrong or OUTRIGHT LIED about the masks. My problem with this is who the gently caress are we supposed to trust? I don't want to be one of those people who "follows their gut". My gut is non-existent. Authority is the only reference I have. Multiple sources are how I determine what is real. How the gently caress does anyone deal with this? How do you know what is real if you have multiple contradictory sources of information and everyone has an agenda? How do you LIVE? Going to war on false pretense is one thing but manipulating science? How do you stop yourself from turning into an equivalent of a flat earther?

1. Distinguish between the actual science and the policy synthesized from it. Try to read and understand primary sources wherever possible. Try to bear in mind the agendas, biases, and competing interests of institutions putting out public policy. There is a wealth of information on when and how surgical masks, or N95s, are effective or ineffective and how to use them properly. They obviously aren't useless or else they wouldn't be used by health professionals.

2. Try to let results & reality ground your thinking. Korea and Taiwan wear masks. China wears masks. Japan wears masks and did just about gently caress all else, and they're doing much better than anyone in the west despite having a famously hypergeriatric population. In uncertain situations, it makes more sense to simply copy working solutions, rather than try to nitpick why they are working, or debate over which aspects of a strategy are important/unimportant based on abstract arguments.

3. Consdier critically risks and benefits. What's the down-side of wearing a mask? It may make sense to not hoard N95s when there are shortages for professionals. But having a simple surigical mask is easy enough to do.

4. If the facts are uncertain in a dangerous situation, don't make decisions you don't have to. It's obvious that people are still getting sick from this. The case counts and # of infected are higher today than they were in March. Most of the population is still susceptible. If you have the ability to do so, just playing it as safe as possible is easier than trying to figure out who is right about what. Like, I'd bet eating takeout is pretty safe, but I don't truly know. It doens't matter, though, because I don't loving need to eat takeout and neither does anyone else, so I haven't. Would I like to? Yes. Is it worth getting viral pnuemonia over? Obviously not. Easy decision, no science required.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

nexous posted:

I will also wear a mask for the rest of my life.

wearing a mask owns

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

What's y'alls?

I live in Florida, I'm not going anywhere with people until there's a proven and safe vaccine

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

what is brain fog and how is it different from regular lethargy

for me it just makes everything feel unreal, it sucks, i have weird moments of clarity that freak me out

mystes
May 31, 2006

Also the other funny thing about lyme is that they developed a vaccine for it but you can't get it now because America sucks.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

snoo posted:

wearing a mask owns

once all the chuds are dead everyone will wear masks and they will be sweet fashion accessories

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Masks gently caress up the surveillance state and we've been given carte blanche to wear them under the guise of public health. Seize that opportunity and never let go.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

My brother in law and my wife's aunt and cousin all live in NYC and I was just saying today that I don't know if we're going to see them in person for like 2+ years at this point

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
We had two promising lyme vaccine candidates and they never fully made it to market because of side effect rumors from antivax people looking to sue

Now we have people in southern New England begging vet practices to give them the dog version because it's so common and dangerous here

Why Your Dog Can Get Vaccinated Against Lyme Disease And You Can't

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Cerebral smog

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

What's y'alls?

Why would you stop wearing a mask and go to a bar just because things are declining?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

snoo posted:

I got in a huge argument with my wife today because she hates not being able to see my face under a mask when we were at a nature center. It has a few loops and she said because we're hundreds of feet away from people most of the time no need for a mask because it's over 6 feet as experts say and outdoors isn't a big spread

I said because we passed other groups a dozen times with less than a foot apart you need the mask on at all times

I got accused of being anti science akin to young earth creationists and I'm still angry

mystes
May 31, 2006

My parents have decided they need to visit my niece who lives in New Hampshire. On the plus side I guess there aren't known to be that many cases where she is, but she's also been in contact with other kids.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Chronic Lyme is when snake oil sales reps tell you that you still have the bacterial infection raging in you and sell you useless drugs or say year long IV antibiotics treatments (an incredibly dumb and bad thing to do). This is distinctly separate from sequelae of having a Lyme disease infection.

jinx_player
Aug 25, 2018

What's y'alls?

Vaccine or very effective treatment. You can't account for a person from out of the area coming through and sharing the sars2.

I cant imagine being someone single in a large metropolitan area during this.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Why would you stop wearing a mask and go to a bar just because things are declining?
And yet this is exactly how 99% of Americans seem to be thinking right now.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I've been out and about here in the boston area daily, taking my dog for walks, and everyone's in a mask but like half the people wear them below their chin and only pull them up when approached.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

she hates not being able to see my face under a mask

i have heard this is a common reason for people who hate when others wear masks, 'i just want to see their face!!!' bitch i am trying to shop for groceries without dying

for real, i'm sorry

jinx_player
Aug 25, 2018

snoo posted:

even then i really wish wearing masks during cold/flu season would catch on in the US but what do i know

I almost guarantee that trend takes off this year.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I've been out and about here in the boston area daily, taking my dog for walks, and everyone's in a mask but like half the people wear them below their chin and only pull them up when approached.

That is better than nothing, the big issue is avoiding close proximity water droplets.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Thoguh posted:

I didn't say I would. I said I was trying to figure out my criteria and that """good"""" numbers didn't seem """"good""" enough so I was soliciting opinions.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Masks gently caress up the surveillance state and we've been given carte blanche to wear them under the guise of public health. Seize that opportunity and never let go.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I'm actually fine with wearing a mask at all times in public and never going to a restaurant again but it's an interesting thought experiment.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Whose flyover country now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

i'm sure they'll make mask-wearing even more illegal after the orders are over