Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

biosterous posted:

re: The Magic Circle, it's one of the titles in this incredible bundle: https://itch.io/b/520/bundle-for-racial-justice-and-equality

(like seriously, Celeste and Night in the Woods and Nuclear Throne and The Magic Circle alone would be an incredible deal for $5)

Are you sure about that? It doesn’t show up if you search for it and I didn’t see it as I went through the forty and change pages of games. I got my value from it but good grief the ratio of things you likely care about is dire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
The game in the bundle is Your Magic Circle.

No relation.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Theres quite a few game dev tools in there, unity modules etc. I wish I could sort by category because the unity stuff might be the push I need to actually make the project I've been ideas-guying for like a year now

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I don't want to poo poo on one-man passion projects but every other title/blurb in that bundle reads like a neural network generated indie visual novel about depression

I also feel bad though that I'm probably only going to play the "real games" from it that get on recommended lists, because it feels like missing the point. On the other hand there are like 1400 games so I'm not sure what my actual alternative would be. In conclusion I feel bad

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's the pyf little things in games thread, if we're still going to talk about the bundle could we at least not keep posting about how terrible y'all are judging the covers to be

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I don't want to poo poo on one-man passion projects but every other title/blurb in that bundle reads like a neural network generated indie visual novel about depression

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

In conclusion I feel bad

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I've been trying out some classic JRPG's lately, because me and some friends are building a short one for an art project and it's not a genre I'm very familiar with. Hearing all the talk about the FFVII remake made me realize I never played the original, so I bought it for the Switch.
I'd never actively sought it out before, because growing up I had a N64 and anime doesn't really appeal to me. Besides, the games most vocal fans would often talk about grinding for some ultimate weapon or something, and that sounded as fun as watching paint dry.

Holy poo poo, does this game defy my expectations so far. Popculture osmosis made me think I knew what to expect, but my time with the game just keeps surprising me. Sephiroth is not a hot pretty boy that broods, but a legit terrifying presence that feels one step away from a Junji Ito character. Cloud isn't a whiny teen, but a walking wreck of PTSD and survivor's guilt. And for a genre that's known for being :words:, the writing is surprisingly snappy and almost all the worldbuilding is done through background detail. I love how the game slowly paints this picture of a world that skipped most of our modernization process because they never had to deal with different fuel sources like we did. Instead, they're basically a 18th century society that gets unlimited energy and literal magic through Mako. Fifty years later they exploded into a cyberpunk dystopia, but they still haven't taken some of the essential steps our world made. So there's incredible engineering feats like floating cities, but very few cars and almost no roads. There's genetic manipulation and machine gun protheses, but not enough to replace swords. It's that unequal distribution of technology that fits the game's theme of rampant capitalism very well, and it makes me wonder how the game's conception ties into Japan's postwar history.

I also love how the game's narrative is divided in these little episodes that rush by. It means that if I just play for an hour or two each day, I'll probably still experience a fun little story.

But the little thing that I love most and absolutely adore is the port's option to run the game at 3x speed with the push of a button and an optional invincibility mode if you want to grind. Bring able to zoom through the random encounters when they annoy you keeps them from getting in the way of the game's experience. I'm about a third of the way through, but am definitely going to keep going. I know I'm about to reach the most famous shock in game history, but have no idea about the rest of the plot and am extremely curious.

Oh, and taking the stairs when storming the Shinra HQ early in the game. They better have kept that part in the remake, though they probably changed the dialogue a bit.I admit I burst out laughing when Tifa calls Barret a retard, because it comes completely out of left field and is hilariously nineties. Have read all her dialogue with a thick Boston accent ever since.

A Worrying Warlock has a new favorite as of 23:27 on Jun 10, 2020

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Honestly Cloud and Aerith got real flanderized as time went on yeah. I mean Cloud is actually a huge dork a lot of the time and is really just broody because like you said he’s mentally a barely holding together train wreck who has no idea how to interact with folk.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

In conclusion I feel bad

Well you're a pirated copy of clickteam fusion and 45 minutes of effort away from making a game that would fit right in this bundle.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

A little thing about FFVII (original flavor): it had a hidden affection rating for Aeris and Tifa (and Yuffie and Barret) which determined which of those characters would go on an amusement park date with Cloud. At the time, i had no idea there was any sort of option, i played the game pretty much blind and for me it was Tifa, which made sense to me since that's how the characters seemed to be written. Don't get me wrong, Aeris was awesome, i just didn't see her and Cloud as having romantic sparks. I remember being sort of confused at or near the end when the story seemed to imply that Cloud and Aeris were more romantically linked that i had thought.

Anyway, it was nearly a year later when watching my girlfriend play through and she went on that date with Aeris and i had my mind blown that there was a whole cool hidden thing like that.

more info on the mechanics here

fake edit: i know her name has been officially changed to Aerith, but drat it i'm sticking with the '97 version since this about playing the game at that time.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Oh, and taking the stairs when storming the Shinra HQ early in the game. They better have kept that part in the remake, though they probably changed the dialogue a bit.I admit I burst out laughing when Tifa calls Barret a retard, because it comes completely out of left field and is hilariously nineties. Have read all her dialogue with a thick Boston accent ever since.

For what it's worth that line was made up wholesale by the localizers, the original has her chiding Barret for inviting misfortune with his talk about never seeing Marlene again (because the stairs will be the end of him).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

a kitten posted:

A little thing about FFVII (original flavor): it had a hidden affection rating for Aeris and Tifa (and Yuffie and Barret) which determined which of those characters would go on an amusement park date with Cloud. At the time, i had no idea there was any sort of option, i played the game pretty much blind and for me it was Tifa, which made sense to me since that's how the characters seemed to be written. Don't get me wrong, Aeris was awesome, i just didn't see her and Cloud as having romantic sparks. I remember being sort of confused at or near the end when the story seemed to imply that Cloud and Aeris were more romantically linked that i had thought.

Anyway, it was nearly a year later when watching my girlfriend play through and she went on that date with Aeris and i had my mind blown that there was a whole cool hidden thing like that.

fake edit: i know her name has been officially changed to Aerith, but drat it i'm sticking with the '97 version since this about playing the game at that time.

The other little thing here is that the hidden affection system is still in the remake.

edit: The way it works is a bit simpler though since FF7R is just a chunk of the whole story. Tifa and Aerith each get a point for each sidequest you do for them, and then there's one final tiebreaker point depending on who you interact with first in a certain sequence. If they tie, you get a completely different scene with Barret instead. Beneath that though there's actually ANOTHER hidden points system that totally changes the quest progression of a chapter.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 23:54 on Jun 10, 2020

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

CJacobs posted:

The other little thing here is that the hidden affection system is still in the remake.

It is? Hell yes!

Been holding off on the remake for various world related stress reasons, but i just started a 2 week work furlough so i'm very likely to pick it up now to kill some time, potential scary financial future be damned

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

a kitten posted:

My favorite thing about this was when my one brother was playing but didn't know about this, so me & my other brother downloaded an editor for the game and changed the values to make sure he got the date with Barret. He was SO confused and we were laughing out asses off.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Figured this might be useful to share.

https://twitter.com/beakfriends/status/1271386913107312640?s=20

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
Just posting to say that I finally got off my rear end and bought the bundle. Never used itch.io before but I figured what the hell. Thanks everyone for reminding me it was a thing that exists.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Deeprock galactic added a fridge to the bar with the intent to pin fanart to it which is just wonderful.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The itch bundle also has the sourcebook for Lancer, the tabletop RPG about giant robot pilots. It's by Abbadon, the creator of pretty good webcomic Kill Six Billion Demons

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Kitfox88 posted:

Honestly Cloud and Aerith got real flanderized as time went on yeah. I mean Cloud is actually a huge dork a lot of the time and is really just broody because like you said he’s mentally a barely holding together train wreck who has no idea how to interact with folk.

Haven’t gotten too far into the remake yet, but I am pleased to report they seem to have outright de-flanderized those two from my observations. Aerith has definitely got some smart rear end to her going by what little I’ve seen thus far, and Cloud’s being terse is certainly played as “I have no idea what to say to these people, so I’ll try to play off my inability to answer as being cool and uncaring”. To be fair the remake kinda shows ALL of Avalanche as being dorks (Barret is so wed to the cause he seems to make speeches no matter how appropriate the time is for them; Jesse, Biggs, and Wedge are obviously earnest enough but a trifle lacking in military discipline; and Tifa is downright nervous about the rebellion) so a lot of times Cloud refusing to engage with them makes him come off as the one rational guy funnily enough. I rather enjoyed him responding to one of Barret’s said speeches in the beginning with “Worry less about the future of the planet right now, and more about the next five seconds”. I do like that as one comment I read noted you can tell Cloud and Tifa are close because she’s the one person he doesn’t give short answers to. Really the characterization in general in the remake is a favorite thing for me, much easier to relate to the characters compared to the first game for me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Went back to play Shantae and the Pirate's Curse after getting through the one that just came out, and drat that music is good. All the Wayforward games have good music, but this one is something else. One of two soundtracks I've gone out and bought in probably about 20 years Splatoon is the other :ssh:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Went back to play Shantae and the Pirate's Curse after getting through the one that just came out, and drat that music is good. All the Wayforward games have good music, but this one is something else. One of two soundtracks I've gone out and bought in probably about 20 years Splatoon is the other :ssh:

That's Jake Kaufman's work, he did Shovel Knight as well and it's :perfect:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lord Lambeth posted:

That's Jake Kaufman's work, he did Shovel Knight as well and it's :perfect:

He also made this, which is both an awesome cover and a great joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWgxPipnGS8

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jake Kaufman is brilliant, he does what he does very well but I'd love to see him given a big budget to do a AAA score or a Platinum game or something at least once

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
he did work on Red Faction: Guerrilla but i think his particular style works really well for what the rest of his career has been

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Jake Kaufman's Double Dragon Neon OST work is fantastic. Some of those 10 second clips for the tape deck powerups are catchier and more enjoyable than what an entire AAA game could put out.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

flatluigi posted:

he did work on Red Faction: Guerrilla but i think his particular style works really well for what the rest of his career has been
Yeah I wouldn't want him moving away from chiptune type stuff, would just be interesting to see what he could do with a budget and a chance to make a Revengeance type soundtrack

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I just found out he apparently didn't do the music for the newest Shantae game, which I guess explains why barely any of it stood out to me. It wasn't bad and there were a few highlights, but nothing that will pop into my head five years from now like a lot of Pirate's Curse still does.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Sobatchja Morda posted:

They did, and taking the stairs is absolutely hilarious.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Okay wow, I know that the puzzles are very simple and everything but I'm having a blast with Kirby Star Allies. The AI is so on the ball on solving stuff, it's so refreshing.

I don't have any recent games I've played where it was a problem but just watching them do the thing you need done with no issue is fantastic to watch.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Okay wow, I know that the puzzles are very simple and everything but I'm having a blast with Kirby Star Allies. The AI is so on the ball on solving stuff, it's so refreshing.

I don't have any recent games I've played where it was a problem but just watching them do the thing you need done with no issue is fantastic to watch.

It's almost too good. If you have the right allies they'll do everything for you before you're aware of what you're even supposed to do

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

FFVII Remake

I've gotten pretty used to cool badass video game people opening chests with a kick or some sort of flourish and for some reason the fact that Cloud just like...reaches down and opens them like a normal person amuses me greatly

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

a kitten posted:

FFVII Remake

I've gotten pretty used to cool badass video game people opening chests with a kick or some sort of flourish and for some reason the fact that Cloud just like...reaches down and opens them like a normal person amuses me greatly

Though I think when you control Barret he does open them with his foot.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Lobok posted:

Though I think when you control Barret he does open them with his foot.

He does a little soccer kick.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I just started the remake and I'm having a blast so far, but now you goons make me realize I'll never truly love this game until I see Red XIII open a treasure chest.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Days Gone: Reloading the serrated shotgun while riding on your bike makes Deacon do the T2 flourish

https://i.imgur.com/EriGKZ6.mp4

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Samuringa posted:

Days Gone: Reloading the serrated shotgun while riding on your bike makes Deacon do the T2 flourish

https://i.imgur.com/EriGKZ6.mp4

Speaking of good reload animations that make games better

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Reminding me of Lady being a badass in Devil May Cry 3, and also when she shot Dante for being a creep.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Pulsarcat posted:

I just started the remake and I'm having a blast so far, but now you goons make me realize I'll never truly love this game until I see Red XIII open a treasure chest.

Red XIII is in the game, but only as a guest character. In specific, he shows up in chapter 17 out of 18 so they didn't bother making him controllable for so little time. So he's around, he'll attack, run around, etc but he's not controllable. Sadly you never see him open a chest but he does have a very adorable interaction animation that comes up several times, and he should be fully controllable in the 2nd remake game.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Zebulon posted:

Red XIII is in the game, but only as a guest character. In specific, he shows up in chapter 17 out of 18 so they didn't bother making him controllable for so little time. So he's around, he'll attack, run around, etc but he's not controllable. Sadly you never see him open a chest but he does have a very adorable interaction animation that comes up several times, and he should be fully controllable in the 2nd remake game.

I really hope he becomes fully playable, not only because he was my favourite character in the original, but also I want to see all the unique animations they would have to give him for simple activities like climbing ladders and opening doors.

Seriously one of my favourite things about playing as Blade Wolf in Metal Gear Rising was seeing some of his animations, including him using his little grabber dealie at the end of his tail to use a laptop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZtfezTKcAg&t=1200s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Zebulon posted:

They did, and taking the stairs is absolutely hilarious.

The stairs in the remake actually have an easter egg that almost nobody sees, where after every ten floors, if you go down five floors to the point that it won't let you down any more, there's extra dialogue.

It's funny but better to watch in a youtube video since you still go increasingly slower as you progress on your stair journey.