Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It’s gotten to the point in the last year or so where I trust hobby-printed parts in non-critical applications though I certainly wouldn’t trust anything I personally design. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

Do any of y'all use UV-cured resin 3D printers? Are resins generally cross-compatible between printers, or do I have to stick with brand X resin if I buy a brand X printer? How's the odor?

I have a resin SLA printer, the resins are pretty generic.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Safety Dance posted:

Do any of y'all use UV-cured resin 3D printers? Are resins generally cross-compatible between printers, or do I have to stick with brand X resin if I buy a brand X printer? How's the odor?

In general yes. There are so many opinions on resin brands (most of them are similar chemistry) that I haven't pieced together any kind of useful answer to your middle question. Odor depends on brand and sometimes color. Odor isn't the problem...that just means you can actually smell the fumes. You don't want the fumes, whether it smells bad or not. Put it in the garage, or in a closed room near an open window.

I have a regular Photon, I've only used the green Anycubic resin it came with (I don't print large things, or often). I have a bottle of Elegoo gray up next, which is very popular with Photon users.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Sorry it’s from reddit

https://old.reddit.com/r/CatastrophicFailure/comments/h86hj2/gasoline_tank_truck_went_airborne_after_explosion/

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

https://i.imgur.com/6os8oSe.mp4

Embed for those who don't want to click through.

That's a baaaad day.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Memento posted:

That's a baaaad day.

That is truly hard to comphend that a) that was a semi and B) how goddamn fast it was travelling

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Memento posted:

That's a baaaad day.

This is breaking my brain a little. If this footage is real the amount of kinetic energy in that trailer is amazing.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

BitBasher posted:

This is breaking my brain a little. If this footage is real the amount of kinetic energy in that trailer is amazing.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/massive-tanker-explosion-injures-more-than-100-in-china-20200614-p552ds.html

Even after you know it's real, the tanker REALLY did go flyng at a considerable percentage of the speed of sound it still STILL strains credibility.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Surely the truck was already barreling along at 100km/h before it exploded, and carrying all of that momentum into its flight.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Wouldn't be surprised if that was from the explosion alone, really. Liquefied gas is under some good pressure (assuming lpg and 90f like Beijing was today, 150psig) and if the tanker got split the right way, you could end up with like 2/3 of an 11mt tanker getting propelled by an area of 7000in² for a force of 1.05 million pounds until the propane disappears and isn't flash boiling and rocketing the tanker around anymore.

Pressurized cylinders of any kind are FUCKIN BAD NEWS in an accident. When they rupture or the valve gets busted off they tend to turn into finless, directionless rockets. They will straight up RUIN. YOUR. poo poo.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

This is why you have to have warning signs if you store pressurized gas bottles, so in case of a fire firefighters are aware of the risk.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Memento posted:

Surely the truck was already barreling along at 100km/h before it exploded, and carrying all of that momentum into its flight.

Kastein explained it with some math but no, the truck was probably standing still. I saw (video, photos) of a industrial accident in the early 90's near Sydney that

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg12617110-800-liquid-petroleum-gas-explosion-outside-sydney/

quote:

ONE OF the largest non-atomic explosions ever experienced in Australia
rocked a liquid petroleum gas storage depot not far from Sydney’s Mascot
International Airport in the early hours of Monday morning. A series of
explosions in the depot, owned by Boral Industries, triggered an enormous
blast in a 60 000-litre gas container, throwing it more than 150 metres
into a nearby canal. The intense heat from the explosions and fires charred
adjacent containers of equal size, but safety valves vented vaporising gas
to burn safely in the atmosphere. Emergency personnel evacuated residents
within a 3-kilometre radius of the depot before the main explosion. The
depot, directly beneath the flight path to Australia’s busiest airport,
was severely damaged but no one was killed or injured because the facility
was deserted at the time.

The tank itself was booted considerably more into the air - the container itself was about 100ton

The probable ignition source was a truck altho no one really knew as what remained of the truck was a puddle of metal

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Largest non-atomic. Has Australia experienced atomic explosions?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Yes -- the UK tested its atomic bombs there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_nuclear_tests_at_Maralinga

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Cojawfee posted:

Largest non-atomic. Has Australia experienced atomic explosions?

It did once or twice when the Emu War very briefly went nuclear.

The UK conducted 12 nuclear tests in Australia in the 50s

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

It explains why about everything living there wants to kill you.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Slightly less explodey than atomic bombs and LPG depot disasters and whatnot, when I was a teenager my side of the street backed on to some woods/fields and at the end of the street was my friend's house. We spent many a night out behind his house around a fire drinking and doing drugs, mostly just smoking weed, but sometimes other stuff as it was the 90's and acid was in fashion again. We ended up burning many things, Commodore 64, bowling balls, trampolines etc, but one time someone put an aerosol can of Muskol in the fire. For those of you who've never heard of it, its a mosquito repellent. I don't know about now, but it was super chemically back then and liked to burn. Welp, the fire heated the can up, and the bottom blew off. Flames shooting out the bottom it took off like a missile, and flew about 100 feet before landing somewhere in the trees. No forest fires were caused by this. Thanks for reading my lame story.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

wesleywillis posted:

Slightly less explodey than atomic bombs and LPG depot disasters and whatnot, when I was a teenager my side of the street backed on to some woods/fields and at the end of the street was my friend's house. We spent many a night out behind his house around a fire drinking and doing drugs, mostly just smoking weed, but sometimes other stuff as it was the 90's and acid was in fashion again. We ended up burning many things, Commodore 64, bowling balls, trampolines etc, but one time someone put an aerosol can of Muskol in the fire. For those of you who've never heard of it, its a mosquito repellent. I don't know about now, but it was super chemically back then and liked to burn. Welp, the fire heated the can up, and the bottom blew off. Flames shooting out the bottom it took off like a missile, and flew about 100 feet before landing somewhere in the trees. No forest fires were caused by this. Thanks for reading my lame story.

We did the tennis ball on fire thing, and hitting 22 rounds with hammer (my friend got clipped by the shell, cut him). Threw some old mortar fireworks down a drain once in a suburb, it blew out a geyser of sparkles, and was loud as hell, got the hell out of there quickly. Oh also hit a mailbox from a moving car, with a bowling ball...that was hilarious at the time.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

We ended up burning many things, Commodore 64

This is the worst part of the story. :(

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I want this to be true.

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/www.audiforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80267

quote:

Hey guys, I've got a 98 1.8T. I've had a k04 and chip for a while and wanted to get more performance. I was recommended to port and polish the intake and exhaust. We found out they used abrasive material to do it like gritty sand. So I got with my friend that tunes Hondas and we decided to try it ourselves. We got a bag of sandblasting sand and hooked up into the intake and started the car. We had to hold the gas so it would run. He wanted to let the engine suck in the sand through the intake so it would port it out and then push it out the ehxaust so it would port the exhaust manifold.
I was worried that it might cause problems but he figured it'd be OK as long as we didn't make boost and it get sucked in the turbo. After running the car and letting it suck in sand we got about half way through a 25 lb bag. The check engine light was on and the engine was bucking and kicking and sounding really weird. We stopped and hooked the car back up normal and took off the sand supply. We tried to start it again and it was really hard. Once started it couldn't idle and kept making weird noises. We took it out and drove it and it started to make scraping and knocking noises.
Help! Can anyone tell me what to do! My buddy only does Hondas so he doesn't know much about Audis.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

It was a prank by a guy who's a giant prick

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

kastein posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if that was from the explosion alone, really. Liquefied gas is under some good pressure (assuming lpg and 90f like Beijing was today, 150psig) and if the tanker got split the right way, you could end up with like 2/3 of an 11mt tanker getting propelled by an area of 7000in² for a force of 1.05 million pounds until the propane disappears and isn't flash boiling and rocketing the tanker around anymore.

Pressurized cylinders of any kind are FUCKIN BAD NEWS in an accident. When they rupture or the valve gets busted off they tend to turn into finless, directionless rockets. They will straight up RUIN. YOUR. poo poo.

My dad used to take dangerous goods courses due to the paint and paint related chemicals he used to transport, and his description of when a BLEVE (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_liquid_expanding_vapor_explosion) happens always shocks me to this day.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

It explains why about everything living there wants to kill you.

It wanted to kill you long before the nukes. The only thing that the nukes did was confirm nuclear weapons are not enough gun.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Nah that's bullshit hey. Nothing here really wants to kill you it just can and will if you gently caress with it. Things like bears on the other hand, they might get the idea that you're pretty bloody tasty and absolutely go to town on you. I guess salties fall into that category but if you've got your head bolted on properly it's not really an issue.

I'll take a few dozen lethal spiders and snakes over something that wants to eat me every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
We killed the bears into less numbers than a single spiders nest.

:smith:

Also bears never fall the gently caress out of random poo poo.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

We killed the bears into less numbers than a single spiders nest.

:smith:

Also bears never fall the gently caress out of random poo poo.

Fun florida fact: Gators can and do climb trees. They will also fall out on you.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

What?! That's messed up

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Aren't gators relatively harmless? It's hard to judge from the other side of the world but they don't seem that bad compared to a big saltie.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The greatest trick conservationists pulled was protecting vast swaths of the rockies (both US and Canada) for us to enjoy "forever" but letting the bear populations climb back up so everyone's constantly afraid of getting mauled to death.

Obviously it's a pretty rare occurrence but it's always in the back of your mind.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

We've got both here and both will happily murdilate the poo poo out of you. While crocs can get a bit bigger, gators can still get plenty big with an added bonus of seemingly being more naturally curious about what you're doing from my personal experience.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

xzzy posted:

The greatest trick conservationists pulled was protecting vast swaths of the rockies (both US and Canada) for us to enjoy "forever" but letting the bear populations climb back up so everyone's constantly afraid of getting mauled to death.

Obviously it's a pretty rare occurrence but it's always in the back of your mind.

It's in the back of your mind until you come around a corner while hiking alone and surprise a bear.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

make more noise

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Walk around a rock and surprise a bear? Calmly walk backwards until the bear goes away. Bears rarely attack humans, and generally only those that have learned humans keep delicious food in strange packages.

Walk around a rock and surprise a bear cub?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I have had 2 black bears get spooked by me before I had time to process.

Leads me to characterizing the black bears being more like oversized raccoons.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 15, 2020

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
"They can smell fear!!"

"I'm not surprised, I just poo poo myself!"

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah black bears mostly just want to raid your tasty tasty garbage bin.

Grizzly bears? Look. The. gently caress. Out.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

This actually has precedent in some turbine engines, even if this instance is false. Operating in sandy/dusty environments can reduce the engine flushing requirement because the particles clean everything right up.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

LifeSunDeath posted:

We did the tennis ball on fire thing, and hitting 22 rounds with hammer (my friend got clipped by the shell, cut him). Threw some old mortar fireworks down a drain once in a suburb, it blew out a geyser of sparkles, and was loud as hell, got the hell out of there quickly. Oh also hit a mailbox from a moving car, with a bowling ball...that was hilarious at the time.

Yo, what'd you do to get that sweet AV I bought you removed?

Years ago the boys and I were out camping, one of us dropped a Coors Light into the fire, since Coors light is cheap, and we have had plenty, they didn't risk picking it out, and grabbed another.

Several minutes later, the can ruptured, flying about 75 feet into the river in a perfect ballistic arc, propelled by a jet of steam and CO2.

We spent the rest of the night trying to replicate the experiment, but no combination of proximity and angle yielded as impressive a result.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

There's a rhyme about bears to tell you what to do if you encounter one.
If it's black, fight back
If it's brown, lay down
If it's white kiss your rear end goodnight

tl;dr don't gently caress with polar bears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
No sir I don't want to lie down. There's pee on the ground now.