Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Annette was supposed to be more aggro and the aftermath is them both misinterpreting what each other said badly. I think. I'm too tired to spend time looking things up right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Amppelix posted:

here's the strat for black market scheme:

don't deploy anyone in the four bottom left corner unit slots, and with the rest just make a break over here asap.

yes, it's really really boring and tedious, but this map just sucks unfortunately

Or just wait until you’ve promoted to advanced classes, when you should be able to handle everything the map throws at you without too much trouble.

The two people at the spawn points east and west of the boss trigger reinforcements when they move out of their starting area. The reinforcements by the church are mostly brawlers, so put someone bulky there and they'll do no damage. On the other side there's an assassin and some thieves, IIRC, so you can handle those with a Swordbreaker Paladin or a really fast dodge tank like Petra. Trigger both sets on turn one to clear them out immediately, and you can make the whole map a lot easier.

There are also separate reinforcements for making Byleth or Balthus cross the bridges and for moving Hapi or the other person you deployed on the east side across. The southern bridge is a convenient choke point for Byleth and Balthus, so the reinforcements there aren’t too bad.

A bulky Warlock like Lorenz (or else one with modest Nostanking capabilities) can clear out the area around Hapi, then cross the wide northern bridge to trigger those reinforcements, which are just a bishop, two thieves, and a sniper. They'll be able to hold the bridge with just a little bit of support.

Move everyone else south to fight the boss's group by turn 5. You'll want almost everything down there dead so that you have breathing room to face the big wave of reinforcements from the north side of the map.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I probably could've made it a bit easier by waiting, yeah, but on maddening I don't think any of the strategies you're describing would work even then. you just don't solo a whole bunch of enemies on their phase on maddening, ever.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Are there any class abilities at the beginner or intermediate levels that are worth having, or should I get people to advance/master ASAP?

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

Mage, Pegasus rider, and Brigand have skills that give +6 to Mag, Spd, and Str respectively when you initiate a fight. All handy to have.

Edit: got the deathblow class wrong.

Oberndorf fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 13, 2020

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

AlternateNu posted:

Are there any class abilities at the beginner or intermediate levels that are worth having, or should I get people to advance/master ASAP?

Physical attackers should try to master Brigand for Death Blow (+6 STR when initiating combat), and magic users should master Mage to get the magic equivalent. Peg knight has another good one, +SPD. It's not essential but it helps a lot. Mastering Archer gets you Hit+20 which is a good one.

efb

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Intermediate classes are where some of the best skills are. Brigand, mage and pegasus knight in particular give the Blow skills, which give +6 Strength/Magic/Speed on the player phase, respectively. Archer gives Hit +20, which you really want on bow users, since their long range attacks come with an accuracy penalty. Thieves get Steal and Brawlers get Unarmed Combat, which you may want for the characters you put in those classes, and Mercenary and Cavalier give you Vantage and Desperation, which you want if you're doing a gimmick build based on getting counterattacked as little as possible.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Amppelix posted:

I probably could've made it a bit easier by waiting, yeah, but on maddening I don't think any of the strategies you're describing would work even then. you just don't solo a whole bunch of enemies on their phase on maddening, ever.

I’ve done exactly that on maddening. When you’re promoted and you’ve got a few good battalions from other paralogues, late part 1 enemies aren’t that strong. They only really catch up after the time skip.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

AlternateNu posted:

What everybody else said, but also you should unlock the classes ASAP, even if you still plan to master an earlier class. When you pass a certification exam, you get bonus stats that usually cover a weakness. Lysithea especially can use those additional points in defense.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Thanks for the tips, everyone.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Thieves get Steal and Brawlers get Unarmed Combat, which you may want for the characters you put in those classes, and Mercenary and Cavalier give you Vantage and Desperation, which you want if you're doing a gimmick build based on getting counterattacked as little as possible.

Is Steal even useful? I kept two characters in Thief long enough to get it, but I haven't seen any weapons/items worth using a turn to snatch.

Cloacamazing! posted:

What everybody else said, but also you should unlock the classes ASAP, even if you still plan to master an earlier class. When you pass a certification exam, you get bonus stats that usually cover a weakness. Lysithea especially can use those additional points in defense.

So, from what I can tell, you only get stat bumps for the first certification you get for each tier. And, even then, it isn't guaranteed. I just got Jeritza classed as a Dark Knight, and he didn't get anything. Shima didn't get anything for unlocking Bow Knight. Lin got maybe a +2 cha for unlocking Bishop? But Lysithea got an absurd +8 def plus a smattering of other stuff for unlocking Warlock. :psyduck:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

AlternateNu posted:

Is Steal even useful? I kept two characters in Thief long enough to get it, but I haven't seen any weapons/items worth using a turn to snatch.

So, from what I can tell, you only get stat bumps for the first certification you get for each tier. And, even then, it isn't guaranteed. I just got Jeritza classed as a Dark Knight, and he didn't get anything. Shima didn't get anything for unlocking Bow Knight. Lin got maybe a +2 cha for unlocking Bishop? But Lysithea got an absurd +8 def plus a smattering of other stuff for unlocking Warlock. :psyduck:

Stat bumps will always drag your character up to a classes minimums, they don't give raw boosts. So, for example, everyone who classes to knight will get their defense boosted to at least 12. So Dedue might not get a boost there at all when he class changes because his def is absurd while Lysithea might get like 10 points.

This is why you have people recommend grinding armor and axes on your mages for those sweet defensive stat boosts that most of them lack

https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/classes/base-stats/

There's a list.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

AlternateNu posted:

You can preview what stat up the character will get. Go to the page of the class that shows the stat increases and hover over each. The increases to "base" are the increases that you're looking for.

I spent a ton of money on seals on my last run just classing people into classes that I didn't actually use. Just remember you can only do one certification per character per week.

Also remember to save before trying to certify people and reload if they fail. Whether they succeed or fail is predetermined each week so once you've tried for the week you know who's worth certifying into what and can save seals. Less risk of losing a seal or a week of certifying someone if you try one of the 40% chance classes since you can just restart.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

AlternateNu posted:

Sometimes enemies will carry stat boosters/promotion items they don't drop. You can also steal the Dark Seal from the death knight whenever he shows up if your units aren't strong enough to actually beat him.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

AlternateNu posted:

I think I've used it once ever (on Azure Moon the only way to get an Aurora shield is to steal it from a certain enemy) and even then I didn't go in intending to use it, just happened to notice the steal option. v:shobon:v I'm sure there's more times like that but I've never noticed.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
Marianne was my dancer because she was super embarrassed and sworded everyone to death.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The DLC tourney challenge is balls

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The only hard part is the armour knight with ridiculous defence. Just class into something with swordfaire and you'll blow past it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The tournament stays around for a while, and you can still enter the regular tournaments by pressing X (I think) on the tournament screen. If your Byleth is in a class unsuited for tournaments, you should save it until after chapter 10.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Just finished CF. Wow. They really went full Daenerys Targaryen with Rhea, didn't they? At least the opening cinematic makes sense. Though, I guess don't have the full picture since it never covered the Red Canyon storyline.

I saved at the midway split, so I'm debating whether to immediately start NG+ with the Deer or going the Church route. The issue with the latter being I failed to get Rhea to B before month 9, so I might not get the full story? Either way, that is a decision for tomorrow.

My biggest complaint about that final fight was the burning tiles didn't mention that they impede cavalry more that foot units, so I brought in all my horses, only to have to demount them for 80% of the map. >_>

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

I saved at the midway split, so I'm debating whether to immediately start NG+ with the Deer or going the Church route. The issue with the latter being I failed to get Rhea to B before month 9, so I might not get the full story? Either way, that is a decision for tomorrow.

Go with deer. They're basically the same story unless you get Rhea to A rank in part one, so you might as well pick the one with a new cast.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Yeah absolutely go Deer. You're not considering Blue Lions at all? Both are really different to Edelgard's route in very different ways

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If you want actual answers about what is going on then Blue Lions is the worse route to go with.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Weapons cannot be stolen, no matter what you do. However, a few of the anti-flier and anti-cavalry shields (Aurora Shield and Lampos Shield, respectively) are stuck on bosses that can be stolen in part 2 of Golden Deer/Azure Moon/Silver Snow. Also, you can steal a couple of rings from characters in part 1 and 2 (the rings the opposite lords carry in the first Gronder Field battle, for instance). Byleth is a good candidate to learn Steal, and if you decide to take Petra again, she's also good for stealing because of her astounding speed growth. Seriously, if you have an assassin enemy with a special item, Petra will almost certainly be able to outspeed the assassin.

And yes, I do recommend Golden Deer. You'll also get a rare C rank flier battalion for beating the campaign that'll carry over to other routes.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Has anyone else noticed that the English Localization seems... off? They just keep saying things that don't sound like something a native English speaker would say "Dmitri has been sentenced" sentenced to what? Finish the Sentence! Or how they keep saying "Kingdom Capital" instead of Fhirdiad or even "The Capital". just lots of stuff like that.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

there's translation errors in the game but i don't think the writing ever sounds unnatural.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

galagazombie posted:

Has anyone else noticed that the English Localization seems... off? They just keep saying things that don't sound like something a native English speaker would say "Dmitri has been sentenced" sentenced to what? Finish the Sentence! Or how they keep saying "Kingdom Capital" instead of Fhirdiad or even "The Capital". just lots of stuff like that.

There were obviously a bunch of different teams working on different parts of the script. They were super inconsistent with how "foreign sounding" they wanted Petra to be.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

galagazombie posted:

Outside of the various "translation feel" things mentioned above, there are some real issues with the actual meaning of things being translated: see how in CF when you kill Cornelia and she's all "ahaha exactly as we planned" to Edelgard when she's actually saying "wow, you played us all this time and now we're boned". The translation isn't just "off", it's 100% the opposite of what it's supposed to be.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Shinji117 posted:

Outside of the various "translation feel" things mentioned above, there are some real issues with the actual meaning of things being translated: see how in CF when you kill Cornelia and she's all "ahaha exactly as we planned" to Edelgard when she's actually saying "wow, you played us all this time and now we're boned". The translation isn't just "off", it's 100% the opposite of what it's supposed to be.

Thanks for clarifying that because that confused the poo poo out of me. I just chalked it up to not knowing the Kingdom story, yet.

Which makes me kind of sad that I stumbled onto CF as my first playthrough because it feels like that's the "true ending". :shrug: I don't know. It feels like you're supposed to go Blue -> Gold -> Black, and then do the other half as a side trip, but there's probably a lot I'm missing.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
According to various dev interviews, Silver Snow was the first route written, and it's the one that tells you the most lore about Fódlan as a whole. Azure Moon probably came second, but it's pretty much just the tale of Dmitri and Fearghus and doesn't really expand on anything else. Verdant Wind largely rehashes Silver Snow, but leaves out a couple details and expands on others. Crimson Flower was added late in production (if you're not doing it first, you might notice it has no FMVs), and was supposed to be a secret fourth route, but they ended up easing the requirements for unlocking it before release.

If there is a "proper" order in which to do all the routes, I'd venture it's Silver Snow -> Azure Moon -> Verdant Wind -> Crimson Flower. Most goons will recommend skipping Silver Snow, but my personal recommendation is skipping Verdant Wind instead, as this also saves you a playthrough of White Clouds.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
lol. The character design for the FeMC is ridiculous. Was it really necessary to giver her booty shorts, designer leggings, and a bellybutton window?

I mean, as anime goes, it's still pretty tame, but compared to literally every other female in the game? (short Manuela, I guess)

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 14, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

lol. The character design for the FeMC is ridiculous. Was it really necessary to giver her booty shorts, designer leggings, and a bellybutton window?
yeah i know it owns

(i do wish her leggings actually looked better on her model)

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Yeah... the game's translation can get... just blatantly wrong a lot. Byleth/Shamir B is another big one as is the TS monthly story scene. Ho boy that one...

The Silver Snow/Crimson Flower split was always intended from the start but for whatever reason CF just didn't get the same amount of work done in it (deadlines). Azure Moon was then clearly worked on third and Verdant Wind last.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Lady Byleth's outfit is absolutely ridiculous, but thankfully you can change her into a less/more ridiculous outfit of your choosing as soon as you unlock the quarters. I always immediately put her in the academy outfit with the cape, personally.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

To me her outfit is so ridiculous it rises to the level of being great. She just looks so dumb that it kinda works with my perception of her as this empty-headed battle focused automaton, who gradually opens up emotionally but never really stops committing fashion crimes.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
The enlightened one class outfit is probably the worst costume I have ever seen in a jrpg.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tired Moritz posted:

The enlightened one class outfit is probably the worst costume I have ever seen in a jrpg.

I'd like to introduce you to probably my favorite game of the entire Nintendo DS generation, Knights in the Nighmare...

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Are the stats appearing for battalions (phys attack, hit etc.) influencing the character's stats or are they specific to the battalion?

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Personally, I think that what she does, she does for extremely understandable and sympathetic reasons, and if you look at her own route in isolation it's easy to get on board with her actions even being necessary. But I feel the very existence of the other routes disproves Edelgard's assertion that there is no other way and that only she has the strength to save Fodlan.

I don't think Edelgard is necessarily evil, but I do think war is bad and this game does not validate Edelgard's position.
Moved to this thread, as it's real hard to talk about how other routes shake out in the LP thread which has yet to finish even one route.

IMO, the existence of other routes shows that Edelgard isn't required to personally lead Fodlan into a better future (though for some, she is required to lead it into it's best future, but that's mostly down to individual interpretation of ending tiles), but nothing in the game shows that her starting the war was unnecessary for Fodlan's better future to be achieved. It isn't like there were any real societal changes coming to Fodlan in the near-future without the status quo getting an axe to the knees, which is what Edelgard's war accomplished. The only reason Claude or Dimitri get the chance to save Fodlan in their own ways is because Edelgard axed the status quo with her war. Without Edelgard's war, there's no indication that Dimitri would ever become the hero king he is at the end of AM, or that Claude would have been able to open Fodlan up to outsiders peacefully. Well actually, I guess Claude could be potentially be able to make Edelgard's actions unnecessary, but that's only cause Claude himself was going to start a war against the status quo the church supported eventually, just Edelgard beat him to the punch.

Without any war or conflict, all that happens is that the Church+Nobles+Crest System continue to grind on and on and on over the bones of all the people who end up dying because of them until the machines eventually break down on their own after a couple hundred more years of eating up people. And it isn't like the natural breakdown of the crest system (as crests die out naturally) would have been peaceful: Nobles would have become increasingly desperate for their "crests justify the means" divine right ticket and performed increasingly atrocious acts to get them, while the Slytherins prosper from the sudden increase in demand for their "services" and so get to infiltrate Fodlan nobility even more. Or maybe Hanneman's artificial crest invention becomes public (if he manages to slip it past the church to avoid it being suppressed like other tech) and Fodlan implodes as the Church loses a central pillar in it's narrative and civil wars between nobles over the new power erupt. And all the while this is happening, the foreign nations that Fodlan is hostile to due, in part, to the Church's narrative regarding foreigners start circling.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jun 14, 2020

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

snoremac posted:

Are the stats appearing for battalions (phys attack, hit etc.) influencing the character's stats or are they specific to the battalion?

They're added on to the character they're attached to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shinji117 posted:

IMO, the existence of other routes shows that Edelgard isn't required to personally lead Fodlan into a better future (though for some, she is required to lead it into it's best future, but that's mostly down to individual interpretation of ending tiles), but nothing in the game shows that her starting the war was unnecessary for Fodlan's better future to be achieved. It isn't like there were any real societal changes coming to Fodlan in the near-future without the status quo getting an axe to the knees, which is what Edelgard's war accomplished. The only reason Claude or Dimitri get the chance to save Fodlan in their own ways is because Edelgard axed the status quo with her war. Without Edelgard's war, there's no indication that Dimitri would ever become the hero king he is at the end of AM, or that Claude would have been able to open Fodlan up to outsiders peacefully. Well actually, I guess Claude could be potentially be able to make Edelgard's actions unnecessary, but that's only cause Claude himself was going to start a war against the status quo the church supported eventually, just Edelgard beat him to the punch.

I disagree. We know from the beginning that Dimitri intended to enact major reforms in Faerghus the moment he returned home - that's what his father had tried to do, too. Dimitri, in my view, doesn't really change at the end of AM compared to how he was at the beginning. AM is about his descent into darkness and his return to the light, I don't think his journey made him better or wiser than he was at the beginning. We also know that Claude intended to shake things up from the beginning, too. And I think it's hard to say how resistant to such reforms Rhea might really be. She's laser focused on protecting her people and bringing back Sothis, and we know that under the right circumstances Sothis can give Rhea a hell of a wake-up call. Whether Dimitri's intended reforms and Claude's intended changes would have been perceived as a threat to Rhea to be stamped out is impossible to say in the context of the game, in my opinion. We don't know if things could have worked out peacefully because Edelgard - for VERY understandable reasons - doesn't give anyone a choice.

It's the old paradox. Just because X hasn't happened before, can you say X is impossible, or has it just not happened yet? Edelgard certainly believes X is impossible, and there's some evidence that that might be true. But I don't find that evidence persuasive enough to justify her actions. And with how horrible and far-reaching a thing war is, I think you need significantly more and more concrete evidence than the game presents in Edelgard's defense.