Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Reik posted:

Apparently the person that posted that reddit M21 leak that has been pretty much 100% confirmed also posted some Zendikar Rising leaks?

https://www.mtgnexus.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25835&sid=3c753a2b49ced8876b553941ea03ad8b

LOL the force spike that ramps you? Card is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That makes the card make a lot more sense, since you'll want both sides early and neither side late. It's still a strictly better island, I guess, unless it comes in tapped (which it probably should).

e: I forget our game's favorite subgame, arguing over "strictly better." This can't be fetched and doesn't pump Tempest Djinn and doesn't turn on those old Krakens that can only attack into an island, etc.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 14, 2020

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Huxley posted:

That makes the card make a lot more sense, since you'll want both sides early and neither side late. It's still a strictly better island, I guess, unless it comes in tapped (which it probably should).

yeah, comes in tapped

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Tainen posted:

yeah, comes in tapped

The late game answer to Hydroid Krasis and only Hydroid Krasis has arrived.

Obviously joking but this is like a mono blue ultimatum. Wonder if it sees any standard play.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AngryBooch posted:

Obviously joking but this is like a mono blue ultimatum. Wonder if it sees any standard play.

It will definitely see play. It's not a 4 of but it does enough. It counters a PW ultimate, it bounces your EBD, Copies your dream trawler....

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Mystifying Instruction?
Secretive Order?
Occulted Mandate?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Tainen posted:

yeah, comes in tapped

Neither it nor the rare cycle are typed, I assume? Although being able to fetch a counterspell would be amazing lol

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Courser of Kruphix text is very strong. This obviously doesn't have as much defensive power as Courser but a 3/3 first strike is pretty good at attacking and the passive helps you hit land drops to use the active.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Bust Rodd posted:

What would a “good mill card” look like if not a card that mills 15% of your opponents deck?

To which card are you referring?

Wizards is really hesitant to print good Mill cards these days because Mill effects are disproportionately strong in Limited, where you only have a 40-card deck to get through compared to a 60-card deck in Constructed. I'm talking about "good for Constructed play", maybe that's where the disconnect is?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Considering how good Casualties is when you get 2 or 3 modes I have to wonder about this

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Wezlar posted:

Considering how good Casualties is when you get 2 or 3 modes I have to wonder about this

Bounce a guy, make a token, draw a card is probably perfectly back-breaking on its own even before you factor in getting to leave it up to counter. The only complication I guess is whether a deck that wants the card also wants creatures.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

six mana might seem like a lot, but you don't really need to cast multiple spells in a turn if you're holding this up. Even just countering something, bouncing something and drawing a card is strong.

also, holy poo poo this was designed to be in standard at the same time as Agent of Treachery, they're literally never going to print a strong ETB ability again. Imagine countering a spell to kill your agent, copying your agent, and then bouncing whatever you can't steal AND DRAWING A CARD OFF IT

I'd play this in a deck with Uro no problem. At worst you're copying a mana dork, at best you're copying a powerful curve topper that either isn't legendary or has a good ETB. It doesn't have to just go in a creatureless control deck. It's worth remembering that

cost is irrelevant when we're talking about blue instants. We thought Nexus of Fate was too expensive and if anything it was too cheap.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 14, 2020

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The absolute floor on Sublime Epiphany is Dismiss or a kicked Blink of an Eye. Yeah, this card is going to be good in standard. Could be good Rec w/ Nightpack Ambushers. Multiple Ambushers is always back breaking.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think you need to be playing a deck with creatures worth copying for this to be really good, but if you're getting a whole good creature out of it plus other effects, suddently six mana doesn't seem like a bad deal.
The triggered ability clause is probably better than it seems, too. Countering a "when this attacks" trigger on something, drawing a card, creating an extra blocker, and bouncing something seems like pretty big game to just wreck someone's attack phase.

e: It annoys me that this doesn't completely shut down Winota because there's a separate trigger for each attacking non-human.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Entropic posted:

I think you need to be playing a deck with creatures worth copying for this to be really good, but if you're getting a whole good creature out of it plus other effects, suddently six mana doesn't seem like a bad deal.
The triggered ability clause is probably better than it seems, too. Countering a "when this attacks" trigger on something, drawing a card, creating an extra blocker, and bouncing something seems like pretty big game to just wreck someone's attack phase.

e: It annoys me that this doesn't completely shut down Winota because there's a separate trigger for each attacking non-human.

J..just counter Winota?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm surprised it doesn't exile itself, both the bounce mode and the copy mode are dangerous recursion wise.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Kurieg posted:

J..just counter Winota?
It's not actually a good answer to Winota on either end because they've already played it and wrecked you with it before you can cast this.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Maybe it's a cycle?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Entropic posted:

This wouldn't be an effective card against Winota even if it did. It's way too expensive. It still needs to be Deafening Clarion or Shatter the Sky.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
imagine a shock that gives you a free mountain

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

dragon enthusiast posted:

imagine a shock that gives you a free mountain

1R shock on one side, enters-tapped mountain on the other.
G +2/+2 on one side
2W make two 1/1 soldiers
2BB all creatures get -2/-2

Then some uncommon karoo land thing just to gently caress up limited.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Tuned into the players tour just before finals start and got to look at the top 8. 6 Temur rec decks and 2 Bant Ramp decks. Temur rec mirror in the finals. Promptly closed Twitch.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

Tuned into the players tour just before finals start and got to look at the top 8. 6 Temur rec decks and 2 Bant Ramp decks. Temur rec mirror in the finals. Promptly closed Twitch.

Same.

SCG is running a Historic Challenge tournament at the moment, wish I could watch some of that but no spectator mode and no native tournament support on Arena makes it a huge hassle.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Apparently someone went after Tolarian Community College because he didn't put enough POC on his channel and he had a minor breakdown. Nothing like the left eating the left!

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Pretty sure the guy with a pretty big platform willing to tweet out "gently caress THE POLICE" is an ally...

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

AngryBooch posted:

This seems pretty drat good for control decks. It cantrips, removes a permanent, makes a token copy and counters. That's absurd value.

I've also never played temur rec on Arena cuz I gently caress up setting the priority stops for the untaps :negative:

axeil fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 14, 2020

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

Apparently someone went after Tolarian Community College because he didn't put enough POC on his channel and he had a minor breakdown. Nothing like the left eating the left!

I always feel like such things have to be channer false flags because the alternative is too depressing.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Reik posted:

Pretty sure the guy with a pretty big platform willing to tweet out "gently caress THE POLICE" is an ally...

there's a big gap between saying something and putting action behind those words

blowing up when someone dares to point out that his self-described most popular magic channel on youtube has a serious lack of black people (and a general lack of nonwhite people) turns out to be one of those actions that says a lot!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The meme in question which even the creator admits was going too far

https://twitter.com/TolarianCollege/status/1271991051725627392?s=19

But they kissed and made up so it's a net positive I guess

E: nevermind I reread the Why I Made This Meme thread and he literally thinks that the Professor was as bad as segregationists

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Osmosisch posted:

I always feel like such things have to be channer false flags because the alternative is too depressing.

the alternative is "the nonwhite people that exist in a community want large content creators to make an effort in who they bring on" and if you're depressed by that i'd love for you to elaborate

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

flatluigi posted:

the alternative is "the nonwhite people that exist in a community want large content creators to make an effort in who they bring on" and if you're depressed by that i'd love for you to elaborate

Progressive movements loving love to undermine themselves every chance they get and the reality of that is depressing

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Cynic Jester posted:

I watched a bit yesterday and yeah, Temur Rec is seriously boring.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Eej posted:

Nothing like the left eating the left!

Ah, "you are not left enough, I am the only real left!"
An old pattern.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

TheKingofSprings posted:

Progressive movements loving love to undermine themselves every chance they get and the reality of that is depressing

asking someone to practice what they preach isn't "undermining a progressive movement" in any way and in fact routes out the sort of people who don't actually give enough of a poo poo to do more than say words

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

flatluigi posted:

there's a big gap between saying something and putting action behind those words

blowing up when someone dares to point out that his self-described most popular magic channel on youtube has a serious lack of black people (and a general lack of nonwhite people) turns out to be one of those actions that says a lot!

Sure, but that isn't what happened.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
drat bro you didn't respond to my tweet within 48 hours... I guess you're basically one step removed from a lynch mob after all...

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

flatluigi posted:

asking someone to practice what they preach isn't "undermining a progressive movement" in any way and in fact routes out the sort of people who don't actually give enough of a poo poo to do more than say words

You can ask that without making a meme that compares him to segregationists.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

flatluigi posted:

Comparing someone to loving segregationists isn’t asking someone to practice what they preach either.

That’s not really the kind of thing you should expect someone to just take on the chin.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If the image were replaced with Jews being isolated into a ghetto circa 1930s Germany, would it be considered a reasonable way to criticize someone then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i made my posts before i saw the tweet and i assumed it was along the lines of the other pushes i've seen since the article about wotc

my points stand even if i think that meme goes too far