Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
This thread knows about this spreadsheet, right? It's still getting updated, with steam review stats and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

This thread knows about this spreadsheet, right? It's still getting updated, with steam review stats and so on.

I didn't. Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I wonder how this is going to be as a cultural snapshot. A whole bunch of people just got a huge set of the same games, all at the same time, the vast majority of them being very different from the usual stuff that shows up at a steam sale.

In the meantime, other games will come out, which maybe you'll buy or not buy, but a sizable number of people still all have the same 1700 games sitting there. If you don't have the cash for a new game, it's cheaper, faster, and possibly more socially rewarding (?) to just dig through this bundle and bring something out.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Oh, I fully don't intend to buy any new video games for at least a couple years.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

El Fideo posted:

Oh, I fully don't intend to buy any new video games for at least a couple years.

Same, this bundle just quadrupled my backlog and
*immediately purchases persona 4*
poo poo

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
It's been mentioned in the thread, but I want to give a thumbs up to Astrologaster

The 'read the stars to diagnose your patient' mechanic pretty much always lets you read whatever you want into a situation, so the gameplay varies between paying attention to symptoms and reading social and political cues. Quite strong reactivity considering the limited scope. The writing is quite fun at times, although there is also some dark stuff there too. Quite worth the time it takes for a run through (the singing and VA is pretty good, too).

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, And The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist - great game, thanks to whoever recommended it earlier. I wasn't sure I'd enjoy this as I didn't like the sound of a heist game, but it promised to be over and done with in 15 minutes and it was true to its word - and what an entertaining 15 minutes it was too. Worth pointing out (for UK goons only?) that Simon Amstell voices this.

Sembalance - I'd seen this before and was interested. It's a puzzle platformer, and you are able to deform the terrain to solve the puzzles. I really like the concept, but it feels like there's something a bit off with the execution somehow. The puzzles are quite linear - you can only really deform the terrain and solve the puzzles in the intended way, which is fair enough but I suppose with deformable terrain I had imainged something more free-form. There are some good puzzles, but they tend to repeat with the same approach used multiple times so it got a little stale. Enjoyed it for about 45 minutes but I don't think I'll bother to complete it.

Witchway - I got this a while ago when it was free, but see it's included now. Really charming puzzler. Not completed it yet but looking forward to going back to it one day.

PICO-8 - for anyone who isn't familiar, this is a "virtual console" that you boot up and program games/demos for. It's basically the BBC Micro reborn. You can easily explore other people's creations too, like the original Celeste that was written for this platform. There are even online magazines so you can (re-)experience the days of typing in code from the magazine page and modifying it as you go.

I was so excited to see this in the bundle as I've been wanting it for ages, but couldn't justify it because I wasn't sure what time I'd have to devote to learning it. I've been following some tutorials and made some lovely retro clones, and have enjoyed messing around with the sound creator and sequencer. I love that it can export to HTML canvas/JS, as I spent my youth making lovely games in Klik 'N' Play and sharing them with schoolfriends, so now I can carry on. Is anyone else still playing around with this? I need to stay motivated.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
I tried out Last Knight - probably the best game in the bundle

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Trickyblackjack posted:

poo poo

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Trickyblackjack posted:

poo poo

:sickos:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I poked at Witchway while waiting for osme laundry and it's pretty good so far.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
What rogue likes / lites are in and decent? I don’t care for the ASCII graphics or anything I’m just talking poo poo like FTL, dead cells, etc. anything

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

teacup posted:

What rogue likes / lites are in and decent? I don’t care for the ASCII graphics or anything I’m just talking poo poo like FTL, dead cells, etc. anything

beacon, 100%

it's technically in early access and i think all they have left to add is the final level (which is what they're explicitly focusing on now after a patch the other day) but what's there is absolutely fun as hell and getting to experiences the mutations is neat

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If you beat All You Can Eat, that comic-y adventure game, it lets you print out the game as a pdf comic consisting of every step through it you took. A 30 minute game filled up 68 pages of pdf lol

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

teacup posted:

MidBoss seems really neat.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

teacup posted:

Haque and MidBoss

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Midboss is in? Yeah, that's deffo worth five bucks on its own.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Trickyblackjack posted:

poo poo

poo poo indeed.
[Goes back to playing P4G]

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Sky Rogue is loosely a roguelite. Tallowmere is a roguelite platformer. Gun Rounds is a fascinating little turn based shooter with some randomized elements, but it really has nothing to do with roguelites beyond the random upgrades between levels. Have a look though.

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean

Saoshyant posted:

Look at this!

I didn't even know I wanted this! And now I have it!

I just wanted to point out that ancient SA favorite, Limbo of the Lost, gets a few pages in this.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I got an ending in Pagan: Autogeny and I have no clue if there's more or what. There's not a lot of info out there.

I did get the pretty obvious metaphor going on there.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I know there's a lot of these "spreadsheets" going around, so not 100% if this one hasn't been posted yet, but it seems useful!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ReIRGAVldZiIqro4E9tO5UAD1w2vUj8cNVzrmNVlgJk/edit#gid=0

Looks like it all sorted by best to worst by reviews, so yeah... pretty self-explanatory. I don't have time to look through it right now but figured I'd let you guys do all the work HA! some here might find it handy.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Also, if you're looking into playing games released this year, for your "best of 2020" list or what have you, these games were released this year, at least going by the itch.io details for the games:

9 Till Void
A New Life
Affinity
Boreal Tenebrae
Destructivator 2
Eatgirl
Gun Rounds
Gutwhale
Lenna's Inception
Mewnbase (EA)
Miasma Caves
My Rabbits are Gone
Penance
Pendula Swing Complete (the individual episodes were released between 2018-2019 but the full release was this past month)
Pillars of Dust
Reky
Retrace
Signs of the Sojourner
The Lost Art of Innkeeping
The White Door: a Rusty Lake game
Time Out
Tonight We Riot
Village Monsters (EA)
Xenogunner

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Johnny Joestar posted:

beacon, 100%

it's technically in early access and i think all they have left to add is the final level (which is what they're explicitly focusing on now after a patch the other day) but what's there is absolutely fun as hell and getting to experiences the mutations is neat

They also need to fix some major issues with the procgen, like it putting in gates and then not the means to unlock them. Other than that, it's another "$5 worth of game" game.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

If any poor goons want the bundle, pm me or quote this with your email address.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Heavy Bullets is a rogue lite first person shooter that I highly recommend. The main mechanic is that you need to go pick your ammo back up after firing it to keep stocked.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Spring Falls is a relaxing little puzzler that is just the right mix of challenging and intuitive.

The goal is to lower hexagons to pool/flow water into the right places so flowers on white tiles sprout. Very simple to learn, about 60 levels, and some of them are rather difficult. It has enough mechanics that I would gladly see way more of the same.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

RBA Starblade posted:

If you beat All You Can Eat, that comic-y adventure game, it lets you print out the game as a pdf comic consisting of every step through it you took. A 30 minute game filled up 68 pages of pdf lol

All You Can Print :v:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Jedit posted:

They also need to fix some major issues with the procgen, like it putting in gates and then not the means to unlock them. Other than that, it's another "$5 worth of game" game.

I found a secret in the 5th level I had to get to by rolling and couldn't get back. That wasn't ideal either. It seems like the 5th level isn't procgen but consistent.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Another batch..

Lizzi Crossing is a neat prototype but that's all it is. The game is a cross between Minesweeper and Picross, literally. Your job is to get to the exit on a randomly generated grid, and you are given both Picross hints and Minesweeper hints about where the mines are as you move through the grid. It's a cool idea, but it is also not a properly fleshed out idea. No music/sound, no 'levels' so to speak, no animation, you can flag mines but you can't flag safe areas. No progression whatsoever. Thumb inert, but I'd like to see this explored further, could fit it snugly next to DemonCrawl.

The Big Wave is another cool idea but I can't recommend it. You surf between radio channels listening in to try and figure out a terrorist's plan and intercept it. Despite being designed for all ages, I actually found this game way too cumbersome. You can't repeat a level, it just automatically takes you right to the question you need to answer based on information you may not have uncovered if you haven't yet found it. Also, the game has softlocked twice in the same exact spot. Thumb down.

Affinity is an extremely relaxing jigsaw game where you put objects together. I really, really liked this one and hope that they make another one. Thumbs up

Total # of Games in Bundle: 1059. Games I'm Not Interested In: 123. Games Played and Not Nulled: 89/936 (9.5%). Games Beaten: 63/89

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 14, 2020

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
BFF or Die seems like a pretty chill couch coop game. My wife and I were enjoying it, not sure how many levels there are but we got to the midteens. You get new items that get used to solve the puzzles, which require you to collect little alien guys, then get back together to high five to complete the level.

Repeating a level because you failed is quick and painless, and each level's obstacles are randomized somewhat so you can't just memorize the path.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Another vote for Golf Peaks. Very mobile game, but a solid little puzzle game. I'm about halfway through.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Not a single post about Starseed Pilgrim huh? This game came out in 2013 but I still spool it up every year or so.

You basically have a set of "seeds" you can plant both in a hub world and in levels where darkness will eat everything. Each seed has its own mechanics, and you'll eventually expand your hub world to unlock new player characters that each have different abilities. It's a very soft, play-to-discover game, but it's a great one.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i like starseed pilgrim but even i can say it's got some of the most obscure mechanics of any game i've ever tried

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Then you should check out strawberry cubes and have that completely redefined.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

flatluigi posted:

i like starseed pilgrim but even i can say it's got some of the most obscure mechanics of any game i've ever tried

I was not even aware it had a hubworld and multiple characters.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Starseed Pilgrim is p cool but it's basically like somebody handing you a new type of puzzle without telling you any of the rules or what you're supposed to be doing.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

f#a# posted:

Not a single post about Starseed Pilgrim huh?

Weird; I'd swear it was talked about a few pages back which is why I didn't mention it again, but I can't find anything now.

It is as others have mentioned a very impenetrable game, and personally I thought that the content you can eventually find was too little too late, but it's definitely an interesting puzzle in its own right. Worth playing for as long as it holds your attention.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

SeXReX posted:

Then you should check out strawberry cubes and have that completely redefined.

Is Strawberry Cubes even a game? I was under the assumption it's just a glitch simulator sandbox, haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Another vote for Golf Peaks. Very mobile game, but a solid little puzzle game. I'm about halfway through.

when i first heard someone describe it as Puzzle Golf, i was expecting a game all about careful kirby's dream course trickshots

instead i got Metal Golf Ac!d, and let me tell you, i'm VERY here for it!

Skyelan fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 14, 2020