Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Conis did a cool bazooka pose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
kaidos characterization has been excellent, and distinctly not in the one piece style. OP is a story where everyone is kinda bombastic in what they think and feel for the most part, with a few exceptions for characters that have some sneaky element to them like shanks or w/e. kaido though, its neat to pick up on his habits and thoughts as things happen around him, especially with how it contrasts with the image of him that we all kinda had when he was first introduced.

jack really colored perception of his crew, too. king and queen seem so vastly different, and honestly, if the beast pirates weren't, you know, pillaging an entire country they actually seem like they would be kinda fun

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Do you think Act 3 will end before Chapter 1000?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Fat_Cow posted:

anime was right posted:

act three will end in chapter 999, chapter 1000 will have something absolutely insane happen (like vivis dead, im reveal or something), and part four will start with vegapunks face as he arrives on wano or something nuts.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Chapter 1000 will be like that episode of Power Rangers RPM where everyone shatters the fourth wall and talks about making the manga.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I want more Chopperman.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Conis went against god for the crew, then called god a bastard and told him to go gently caress himself knowing he was paying attention. Conis is good people, and anyone who even mentions her in the same communicative continent as Rebecca is bad and should feel bad.

Rebecca is the only absolute dud of a character in One Piece. The terrible, poo poo, exception that proves the rule that One Piece is good. She gave Luffy meat, and still managed to do absolutely nothing while making everyone around her suck a little.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
(pounding fists against the table) Vegapunk! Vegapunk! Vegapunk!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao that oda uses the wiki too

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jose posted:

lmao that oda uses the wiki too

So that's why his callback game so strong

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
We've been misreading his abilities all this time! He is simply a diligent mortal man instead of a god of memory akin to Mnemosyne.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I've always just assumed he kept good notes. Pretty funny that he uses the wikis, too.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Fat_Cow posted:

i honestly dont know. things are going too well for the alliance rn, all their "problems" have been ones they foresaw or at least knew about going in, so its hard to say that the "tragedy" part has happened unless that was meant to be odens flashback

either way, oda has earned my complete and utter unquestioned faith at thsi juncture

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I was kind of expecting them to get crushed at some point, particularly the samurai, and as much as Luffy can hit harder now after the prison training, it definitely feels like he needs another power up like awakening to power through. What is anyone meant to do about Kaido throwing a giant fireball at them, or Big Mom's sun? If Luffy can turn them to rubber and bounce them back, then maybe...

Marco and Cat Viper aren't there yet, so they'll presumably play a part in saving them, but if Luffy can't shrug off an attack even from Apoo then he still isn't on Kaido's level.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Chapter's up!
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1006997

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I've always just assumed he kept good notes. Pretty funny that he uses the wikis, too.

Your notes are never gonna be as good as crowdsourced notes.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

so do people think the note is going to have some further significance which is why we got to see it rather than just being a verbal message?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Jose posted:

so do people think the note is going to have some further significance which is why we got to see it rather than just being a verbal message?

eh, i just thought we saw it because otherwise people would assume it's foreshadowing something and would be asking oda about it. feels like oda originally thought cat viper would make it to wano before marco but then changed his mind at some point between last time we saw them and now, so now he has to brush the set-up of that message aside

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kinda foolish of Denjiro to just gag and restrain Sasaki and not knock him out or something.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Jose posted:

I think it was just a misdirection by Oda to make the reader feel like the alliance’s odds were stacked against them harder than they actually were - he wanted that moment with the scabbards at the port to feel as desperate as possible. It makes perfect sense that Marco is joining the fight after what Whitebeard said at the end of Marineford, so I don’t think there was ever any doubt in Oda’s mind that he was gonna come help.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Kild posted:

Your notes are never gonna be as good as crowdsourced notes.

Generally true, especially for something like attacks. For stuff like worldbuilding and continuity in a big, ongoing work I'm not so sure. Brandon Sanderson has talked about having a personal wiki for example, though even for that they're not actually his notes.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Kinda foolish of Denjiro to just gag and restrain Sasaki and not knock him out or something.

Yeah, I figure Sasaki will escape and fight one of the good guys eventually.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Oh man, I can already tell this Luffy vs Ulti fight is gonna be great :allears:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jose posted:

Throwing it into the water while showing it to us, instead of just saying they don't need it, makes me think it will. Maybe Kaido's kid is out swimming, either because he's half fishman or because he just likes doing laps. Then either he or Kaido's men find the note before coming back to the party. The question is if they just know a different Marco, Kaido's kid is a Whitebeardstan and thinks it's a super awesome birthday gift, or it raises any alarms.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Jose posted:

I think it was just shown to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Marco is and always has been a standup guy.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Gyges posted:

Throwing it into the water while showing it to us, instead of just saying they don't need it, makes me think it will. Maybe Kaido's kid is out swimming, either because he's half fishman or because he just likes doing laps. Then either he or Kaido's men find the note before coming back to the party. The question is if they just know a different Marco, Kaido's kid is a Whitebeardstan and thinks it's a super awesome birthday gift, or it raises any alarms.

sasaki specifically says that yamato couldn't have left the island so swimming is probably out of the question

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It'll do a flyby of the island and only Orochi will see it, making him slowly spiral into madness and paranoia. Didn't you see, there was a samurai in the crowd? WHY CAN'T YOU SEE THEM???

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

i originally thought this, but then remembered sasaki is a former captain of his own crew who seemingly wants to take down an all-star... could be a good future decision, and denjiro seems to know his personality well enough

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Jose posted:

I think that there's a decent chance Oda just re-wrote his original plans for how to reintroduce Neko and Marco into the arc. The implication at the beginning of Wano was that Marco couldn't come right away, so he wanted Neko to deliver a message to Luffy, which would imply Neko leaving first, but the fact that Marco arrived alongside Neko seems like a last minute switch-up. The note was probably just a dangling plot thread Oda wanted to close up.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Honestly, I'd completely forgotten that Marco even wrote a note in the first place.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Julias posted:

I think that there's a decent chance Oda just re-wrote his original plans for how to reintroduce Neko and Marco into the arc. The implication at the beginning of Wano was that Marco couldn't come right away, so he wanted Neko to deliver a message to Luffy, which would imply Neko leaving first, but the fact that Marco arrived alongside Neko seems like a last minute switch-up. The note was probably just a dangling plot thread Oda wanted to close up.

It is so funny to see people still try and pull off "but what about "*generally vague statement made 2 years ago by a character who will never return*" when on this very same page we saw the creator olf the series go "Ya I use fan wikis to remember things cuz I'm dumb lol". Oda retcons poo poo and makes new things up all the time, doesn't make the series any less entertaining.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
https://twitter.com/Revujo/status/1272207886173814784

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Ryaomon posted:

It is so funny to see people still try and pull off "but what about "*generally vague statement made 2 years ago by a character who will never return*" when on this very same page we saw the creator olf the series go "Ya I use fan wikis to remember things cuz I'm dumb lol". Oda retcons poo poo and makes new things up all the time, doesn't make the series any less entertaining.

also even if he has databases, he also has a team of assistants and editors to remember poo poo for him or help him come up with better plot points after plans are conceived

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The only thing Oda really keeps to himself is the ending notes to One Piece and Laugh Tale, all locked up in a safe somewhere. Actually I think only his editor also knows about it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Julias posted:

I get that but I just don't see why a note would have mattered instead of a verbal message. like it probably is nothing but it's a curious addition

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

gonna lol when someone puts fake info on the wiki and oda uses it.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Lpzie posted:

If I've learned anything from regular Wikipedia, there's always a bigger turbo nerd that will instantly remove all fake info. Sometimes real info for real weird reasons

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Lpzie posted:

I'm guessing the Japanese one is better than the English language wiki, because if he was using info from that the story would be hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Jose posted:

I get that but I just don't see why a note would have mattered instead of a verbal message. like it probably is nothing but it's a curious addition

Sanji also wrote a note instead of just giving a verbal message

it's dramatique~