Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Did it also have an alternate game mode where you play as a tank instead of a helicopter? Because I remember a game like that, but I'm drawing a blank on the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boston crime stats
Dec 6, 2016
Actually, the gameplay is so similar to Choplifter III that I wonder if retail release was blocked by legal action from Brøderbund/Ocean.

Still, obviously the demo at least made the rounds, so hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about.

boston crime stats
Dec 6, 2016

Cardiovorax posted:

Did it also have an alternate game mode where you play as a tank instead of a helicopter? Because I remember a game like that, but I'm drawing a blank on the name.

Not that I remember, no.
You might be thinking of SWIV?
(SWIV 3D on PC was excellent though, btw)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
No, the one I remember was definitely a 2D side-scroller, but I don't remember if it was for PC. In one mode, you would play as a helicopter basically the way you describe it. In the other, you would instead play as this armored car or tank thing that also attacked upwards in a 3-spread so you were able to attack flying enemies. I have this really clear mental image of it, but I don't think I ever learned the name of the game.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Silkworm maybe, SWIV was the sequel I think (and went vertical instead)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

boston crime stats posted:

Hello! I'm looking for a DOS/Win95-98 side-scrolling helicopter shooter that I played in the mid to late 90s. I got it from one of those demo compilation CDs that came with a videogame magazine, and I've never been able to figure out the right combo of search keywords to find it again.

Graphically, I think it was typical of later-90s 2D games: fairly high detail, smooth movement, and parallax scrolling. I think the art leaned toward the realistic, with a fairly dark and muted colour palette.

I remember a few things stood out about the gameplay. The helicopter's movement was fairly complex:
- you could fly freely around each level
- the up/down arrow keys changed elevation & left/right moved horizontally but kept you facing the same way
- there were separate keys that allowed you to "rotate" the chopper between left-facing and right-facing (there may have also been a front-facing position, which gave it a much smaller profile for flying through narrow, maze-like areas...? or I might be conflating this game with another one there)
- when you held left/right to move horizontally, the chopper's nose would also pitch up or down, altering the aim of your weapons

Other gameplay mechanics included:
- a limited fuel supply, which you could refill by landing (very carefully) on special helipads
- hostages/survivors who could be rescued and picked up around the level then dropped off at the same special pads
- several weapons that i think shared a common and regenerating ammo pool, including:
1) a rapid-fire machine gun
2) fast-firing, light-damage rockets
3) slower-firing, heavier-damage rockets (or possibly bombs?)
4) a very slow-firing, powerful energy weapon that fired large blue or purple plasma bursts
- if one of the weapons (the 2nd?) was selected twice, it would switch to an alternate, homing version with limited ammo

Clearly my memory is foggy as hell, but hopefully I got enough of the details right for someone to figure it out. TIA!

Was the terrain destructible, to the point where while your weapons dug very slowly you could eventually make holes your copter could fly through? I don't remember what it was called but I distinctly remember a Choplifter clone like that.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Seeing that post reminded me of a similar game I played in the 90s. It was a sidescrolling helicopter game on the PC where you shot alien spaceships and picked up people from the ground, and you'd fly into caves in the ground. The entire terrain was a flat grey color, I believe. The game came on a disc with a bunch of other games, one was a pac-man clone that relied on processor speed and was unplayable on even the Emachine I had.

I'm really just interested in finding out what that disc was called so I can see if whatever other games I've forgotten are as bad as the other two.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I remember that one! I played it too. I think that was a C64 game, even.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Demo discs are probably the worst for this simply because there were thousands and many of those projects probably never got off the ground. I unfortunately have no input on the mass of memories of various helicopter games, I imagine it was a very popular genre.

...speaking of which, I was reminded, sometime in the late 90's or early aughts, one of the major pc games magazines had demo discs that were presented as a virtual space in the form of an fmv game, where you were supposedly entering some kind of secret agency/hidden journalism bunker(???). This eventually culminated in some sort of weird episodic mystery where you were looking at e-mails and, I think, listening to voice mails to try and solve a mystery involving the disappearance of someone, which I think eventually became an ARG as it bled into outside e-mail contacts and the like. I think it may have simply been PC Gamer magazine, so...ah, wait, gently caress. Answered another one by the act of writing it out. It was indeed PC Gamer, the 'missing person' was probably the editor who actually left the company right after the fmv game demo disc format came out, and shortly thereafter they dropped the fmv format altogether so the 'mystery' was never actually resolved.

...wow. The wiki article states that these fmv demo discs also introduced 'Coconut Monkey', a PC Gamer mascot that was a coconut carved to be a monkey, based on a common tourist trap trinket. According to the article, the character claims their mother was a coconut and their father was 'a Sri Lankan rat basher', so, uh, loving yikes

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Andorra posted:

Seeing that post reminded me of a similar game I played in the 90s. It was a sidescrolling helicopter game on the PC where you shot alien spaceships and picked up people from the ground, and you'd fly into caves in the ground. The entire terrain was a flat grey color, I believe. The game came on a disc with a bunch of other games, one was a pac-man clone that relied on processor speed and was unplayable on even the Emachine I had.

I'm really just interested in finding out what that disc was called so I can see if whatever other games I've forgotten are as bad as the other two.

I remember that cave helicopter game too because some people brought it to school. Sometimes it seemed like some caves were impossible but we might have just been bad.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Andorra posted:

Where the helicopters pretty much black outlines? I remember a game like that and it was just pure garbage.

On the flipside, Chopper Commando was :kiss: even though it was CGA and primitive as hell.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

There was a mac clone of that game called Dome Wars that owned as well

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KDWL8Z7LQs4

Oh geeze, I played that a bunch as a kid. Completely forgot the title name. I can still remember the completely-unintelligible voice clip for when you use a shield item. I always thought it sounded like someone saying "Contestive".

The Commodore 64k helicopter game is probably Fort Apokalypse

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Oh geeze, I played that a bunch as a kid. Completely forgot the title name. I can still remember the completely-unintelligible voice clip for when you use a shield item. I always thought it sounded like someone saying "Contestive".

Holy poo poo, while I've never played that game, good riddance to the design fad of slapping a light or dark gradient on a shape and calling it a day. I've played too many games that did that.

Awful stuff.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Where the helicopters pretty much black outlines? I remember a game like that and it was just pure garbage.

On the flipside, Chopper Commando was :kiss: even though it was CGA and primitive as hell.
If it’s on the same disc I remember it included some games tied to the cpu clock which made them impossible to play like a Pac-Man Clone. There may have been a fly swatting game too

boston crime stats
Dec 6, 2016

CYBEReris posted:

Was the terrain destructible, to the point where while your weapons dug very slowly you could eventually make holes your copter could fly through? I don't remember what it was called but I distinctly remember a Choplifter clone like that.

Maybe? I don't specifically remember that mechanic, though.

I DO remember that it was super easy to trash your chopper by colliding with the terrain in any way that wasn't a carefully controlled descent. Also, I think you could actually cut power to the main rotor by holding the down arrow once landed.

Thanks for trying, everyone! I guess it really was such a flooded genre that it's pretty hard to nail down entries that weren't well-known.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

CrazySalamander posted:

I remember that cave helicopter game too because some people brought it to school. Sometimes it seemed like some caves were impossible but we might have just been bad.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Found it after somehow remembering the pac-man game was called Chomp. They were in a compilation called FunPack, developed by none other than WayForward. The helicopter game was called Blitzer. It also included knockoffs of Tetris, Break Out, Missile Command, and Asteroids, and a flyswatting game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Andorra posted:

Found it after somehow remembering the pac-man game was called Chomp. They were in a compilation called FunPack, developed by none other than WayForward. The helicopter game was called Blitzer. It also included knockoffs of Tetris, Break Out, Missile Command, and Asteroids, and a flyswatting game.

drat, that's also the one I was thinking of in my previous post! Nice!

That game was, from what I remember, terrible.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

If you're going for really old games there were some Airwolf ones where you flew inside caves and facilities or whatever, for reasons

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Hey guys, looking to find a game that I remember seeing a very short video clip of somewhere around 2001-2004.

I remember it was a Japanese arcade game and it was very similar to Power Stone except the camera may have been even further out. It's also possible there were 6 players simultaneously but there were at least 4. Only other thing I remember was the game title wast just phoneticized Japanese, no English that I remember.

My guess is it would be a Naomi/Atomiswave game but I haven't found anything when searching for those. Sorry I don't have anything more to go on.

Of course as soon as I post I think I've found it, I believe it's Poy Poy 2:

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Maybe the japanese versions of either Poy Poy 1 or 2?

e: oh wait, arcade games, my bad

That's it, thanks!

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 14, 2020

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I thought you guys were talking about Chopper 2, which I spent probably a bazillion hours playing as a kid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iIlW9k3lrc

Cardiovorax posted:

That's not the one I meant, at least. Mine is in those classic CGA colors of bright cyan and eye-searing magenta and was in little pixel blocks that, as someone else mentioned, you were able to slowly chip away at with your equally block-shaped shots. I think it was even possible to access a secret area or two with that, but I was literally five years old the last time I played it, so don't quote me on it.
If you skip ahead in the video to a night mission, it looks exactly like CGA colors. Also you can carve a path through the mountain to the right and enter a secret screen, yeah. It's probably not it though since I'd think you'd recognize the sound effects immediately.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 14, 2020

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

FanaticalMilk posted:

Hey guys, looking to find a game that I remember seeing a very short video clip of somewhere around 2001-2004.

I remember it was a Japanese arcade game and it was very similar to Power Stone except the camera may have been even further out. It's also possible there were 6 players simultaneously but there were at least 4. Only other thing I remember was the game title wast just phoneticized Japanese, no English that I remember.

My guess is it would be a Naomi/Atomiswave game but I haven't found anything when searching for those. Sorry I don't have anything more to go on.

Maybe the japanese versions of either Poy Poy 1 or 2?

e: oh wait, arcade games, my bad

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That's not the one I meant, at least. Mine is in those classic CGA colors of bright cyan and eye-searing magenta and was in little pixel blocks that, as someone else mentioned, you were able to slowly chip away at with your equally block-shaped shots. I think it was even possible to access a secret area or two with that, but I was literally five years old the last time I played it, so don't quote me on it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I played this as a kid, my friend down the street had a Mac and we spent a lot of hours on Dome Wars, Iron Helix, and Lunicus.

I could never figure out what the sound was. My friend told me it sounded like "can't touch this!", but he also once told me that an apple juice, cream cheese and milk smoothie was tasty, so I have my doubts.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Joe Man posted:

I thought you guys were talking about Chopper 2, which I spent probably a bazillion hours playing as a kid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iIlW9k3lrc

If you skip ahead in the video to a night mission, it looks exactly like CGA colors. Also you can carve a path through the mountain to the right and enter a secret screen, yeah. It's probably not it though since I'd think you'd recognize the sound effects immediately.

Chopper Commando was one of my most played games back in the day. Absolutely adored it.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

On the subject of Worms/Scorched Earth/etc type games, I remember a pretty rudimentary one on C64. Both players (or I think there was a vs. cpu option with different difficulties?) have a castle and take turns choosing a spell and where to target it to best trash the other player's castle. The different spells would cause different patterns of destruction, like a fireball would destroy a circle centered on impact, a lightning bolt would make the forked lightning strike pattern, etc.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Maybe? I don't specifically remember that mechanic, though.

I DO remember that it was super easy to trash your chopper by colliding with the terrain in any way that wasn't a carefully controlled descent. Also, I think you could actually cut power to the main rotor by holding the down arrow once landed.

Thanks for trying, everyone! I guess it really was such a flooded genre that it's pretty hard to nail down entries that weren't well-known.

Check out tiger's bane, I bet it's what you're looking for.

boston crime stats
Dec 6, 2016

Mischievous Mink posted:

Check out tiger's bane, I bet it's what you're looking for.

Thanks but nope, afraid not. My mystery game was both more arcade-like in terms of its weapons/ammo systems and more realistic in art style. I guess the setting was near-future since most weapons were conventional but you also had a plasma cannon?

Thank you for mentioning it though, Tiger's Bane is a new one to me and it's great. Made by indie idol Seumas McNally when he was 19, 2 years before he died. Now I wanna go play Tread Marks, too

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Hello! I'm looking for a DOS/Win95-98 side-scrolling helicopter shooter that I played in the mid to late 90s. I got it from one of those demo compilation CDs that came with a videogame magazine, and I've never been able to figure out the right combo of search keywords to find it again.

Graphically, I think it was typical of later-90s 2D games: fairly high detail, smooth movement, and parallax scrolling. I think the art leaned toward the realistic, with a fairly dark and muted colour palette.

I remember a few things stood out about the gameplay. The helicopter's movement was fairly complex:
- you could fly freely around each level
- the up/down arrow keys changed elevation & left/right moved horizontally but kept you facing the same way
- there were separate keys that allowed you to "rotate" the chopper between left-facing and right-facing (there may have also been a front-facing position, which gave it a much smaller profile for flying through narrow, maze-like areas...? or I might be conflating this game with another one there)
- when you held left/right to move horizontally, the chopper's nose would also pitch up or down, altering the aim of your weapons

Other gameplay mechanics included:
- a limited fuel supply, which you could refill by landing (very carefully) on special helipads
- hostages/survivors who could be rescued and picked up around the level then dropped off at the same special pads
- several weapons that i think shared a common and regenerating ammo pool, including:
1) a rapid-fire machine gun
2) fast-firing, light-damage rockets
3) slower-firing, heavier-damage rockets (or possibly bombs?)
4) a very slow-firing, powerful energy weapon that fired large blue or purple plasma bursts
- if one of the weapons (the 2nd?) was selected twice, it would switch to an alternate, homing version with limited ammo

Clearly my memory is foggy as hell, but hopefully I got enough of the details right for someone to figure it out. TIA!

Operation Vulture 3: Cyber Chopper.

Andorra posted:

Blitzer.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

hopefully I got enough of the details right for someone to figure it out. TIA!

I only played them on console but could it be Soviet Strike or Nuclear Strike?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Xander77 posted:

An old (90s?) arcade game like Okhlos or Tonight We Riot where you control a whole huge mob of characters. IIRC, they weren't just sprite clones, but actual, differently designed, characters (but a bunch of them).
Is there at least an official name for the genre where you control a whole bunch of characters at once? I'd be able to search on my own if I had some proper google terms.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Xander77 posted:

Is there at least an official name for the genre where you control a whole bunch of characters at once? I'd be able to search on my own if I had some proper google terms.

I tried with variations of "team-based beat em up" but didn't make much headway. Are there any other distinguishing features? Maybe the graphics style or the perspective, like is it from the side like Final Fight or a bit more top-down or isometric perhaps?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

There was a game for dos where you controlled a bunch of blue Pac-Man-rear end looking dudes at the same time to solve puzzles and push blocks and poo poo

I only had the shareware version but it ruled, what was it called

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Artelier posted:

I tried with variations of "team-based beat em up" but didn't make much headway. Are there any other distinguishing features? Maybe the graphics style or the perspective, like is it from the side like Final Fight or a bit more top-down or isometric perhaps?
Side scrolling, final fight style. Smaller and less detailed characters, but I remember being really amazed that they were all distinct in terms of design. And... a lot of screen effects and special attacks, way less coherent than Final Fight in terms of what's happening?

boston crime stats
Dec 6, 2016

titties posted:

I only played them on console but could it be Soviet Strike or Nuclear Strike?

Thank you both, but no, it's not Cyber Chopper or any of the Strike games.

Cyber Chopper is pretty cool though. The movement system kinda sucks but it has strong Tank Arena energy - both graphically and because you can blow up absolutely everything and even mangle the bare ground. Unfortunately DOSBox hates it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Xander77 posted:

Side scrolling, final fight style. Smaller and less detailed characters, but I remember being really amazed that they were all distinct in terms of design. And... a lot of screen effects and special attacks, way less coherent than Final Fight in terms of what's happening?

Look through this list and see if any of the games sound familiar:

https://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/arcade/beatemup-brawler/

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Two famicom games:

One is a side-scroller, you control this samurai dude. The one thing I remember most about this game is that you race a dog in every stage. Well, it's more that the time counter is a dog running on the bottom of the screen.
The other one is a puzzle game. It was kind of like Sokoban, you control a Kirby-like blob and have to push blue stones into shining brick pedestals, there are also rocks you can use to crush baddies or whatever. The game was kind of mindfucky: your character could move in all four directions making you believe it has a top-down perspective, but then you push a stone off a ledge and it falls down as if it were a 2-D side-scroller.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Xander77 posted:

Smaller, less detailed, everyone is unique Final Fight style makes me think of Little Fighter 2, but that's not arcade nor do you control many characters at once. Drawing a blank, sorry!

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Pentaro posted:

Two famicom games:

One is a side-scroller, you control this samurai dude. The one thing I remember most about this game is that you race a dog in every stage. Well, it's more that the time counter is a dog running on the bottom of the screen.
The other one is a puzzle game. It was kind of like Sokoban, you control a Kirby-like blob and have to push blue stones into shining brick pedestals, there are also rocks you can use to crush baddies or whatever. The game was kind of mindfucky: your character could move in all four directions making you believe it has a top-down perspective, but then you push a stone off a ledge and it falls down as if it were a 2-D side-scroller.

The second at least partially sounds like one of the Adventures Of Lolo games

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Pentaro posted:

Two famicom games:

Musashi no Ken, it was in kusogrande a day or two ago funnily enough (though as a sort of 'relief' game since only one player in the group would move on).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Musashi no Ken, it was in kusogrande a day or two ago funnily enough (though as a sort of 'relief' game since only one player in the group would move on).
Yes! This was it! I dunno what kusogrande is but judging by the name this game should be right at home.

Billy Gnosis posted:

The second at least partially sounds like one of the Adventures Of Lolo games
Close but no cigar. The graphics were way less polished (IIRC this game just had a black screen for a background)